Don Blankenship buys pike and martin ...
Iam

Canton, OH

#22 Sep 8, 2012
Coal is slowly being phased out sad but true
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#23 Sep 9, 2012
Alpha is selling off assets like crazy, to raise money. Rumor has it Don's big Massey mansion on top of the hill in Kentucky is up for sale too. I'd say ther woll be a big shake-up in the industry in 2013, and Don's come-back may be put on hold.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#24 Sep 9, 2012
nemesis wrote:
Alpha is selling off assets like crazy, to raise money. Rumor has it Don's big Massey mansion on top of the hill in Kentucky is up for sale too. I'd say ther woll be a big shake-up in the industry in 2013, and Don's come-back may be put on hold.
I can hear the Alpha death rattle ...
Just me

Beckley, WV

#25 Sep 9, 2012
coal sells wrote:
<quoted text> Why work there if you can clean windows in charleston for 10 to 15 dollars an hour and not worry about being kill.
You can be killed anytime, anywhere, doing anything. Just a thought.....

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#26 Sep 9, 2012
That is true, but with Don Blankenship and apparently Alpha, the risk for that happening is much more present and the odds are high against you. Just another thought.
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#27 Sep 9, 2012
I hear if Don comes back, $15 an hour will be top pay. But, as long as these young dudes can buy a bag of pot, a new four wheeler, and make a payment on a pick-up, they'll flock to him anyway. Getting the miners to stand together is a pipe dream, that's how he came to power to begin with.
why push

Charleston, WV

#28 Sep 9, 2012
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
You can be killed anytime, anywhere, doing anything. Just a thought.....
Why push your luck. In their last mines that blow up they were pick up pieces.
Yeah

Sunbury, OH

#29 Sep 9, 2012
My dad has also been very unhappy with Alpha.

Thanks for sharing this, it was very interesting to hear what people are thinking/feeling.
Midway Resident

Seth, WV

#30 Sep 9, 2012
nemesis wrote:
I hear if Don comes back,$15 an hour will be top pay. But, as long as these young dudes can buy a bag of pot, a new four wheeler, and make a payment on a pick-up, they'll flock to him anyway. Getting the miners to stand together is a pipe dream, that's how he came to power to begin with.
Several years ago Don said there wasn't any coal miner in West Virginia worth more than $7.00 dollars an hour.
deregulation

Charleston, WV

#31 Sep 9, 2012
Midway Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Several years ago Don said there wasn't any coal miner in West Virginia worth more than $7.00 dollars an hour.
HE11, they are half way there the contracting companies that the mines go though are only paying 15 an hour cut that inhalf and you will be at 7.50 an hour.
THE LEGEND

United States

#32 Sep 20, 2012
UMWA....The only answer miners have. You have to see now that the union is a good thing for us all. The umwa is the only reason we have ever made decent money, now the union is going away and with it good wages will also. Stand together or we can starve together.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#33 Sep 21, 2012
THE LEGEND wrote:
UMWA....The only answer miners have. You have to see now that the union is a good thing for us all. The umwa is the only reason we have ever made decent money, now the union is going away and with it good wages will also. Stand together or we can starve together.
Hopefully the idiots will wake up & take your good advice.
1 post removed
hatehilljax

United States

#35 Sep 21, 2012
Bug Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully the idiots will wake up & take your good advice.
umwa aint all apple pie and lollipops for new miners . They can make the money but what about their pension . The young guys at our mine have 401s . Makes tjem no better off than non union in the long run .

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#36 Sep 21, 2012
hatehilljax wrote:
<quoted text>umwa aint all apple pie and lollipops for new miners . They can make the money but what about their pension . The young guys at our mine have 401s . Makes tjem no better off than non union in the long run .
If you think you are better off workin scab, then do it ...
3 posts removed
jojo

Bethesda, MD

#40 Oct 5, 2012
I think its time for Union
jojo

Bethesda, MD

#41 Oct 5, 2012
this is bull wont be working for him,
scott jones

Lovettsville, VA

#42 Feb 3, 2013
ky is a right to work state...........keep voting republican and all unions will be gone for good
nemesis

Chapmanville, WV

#43 Feb 3, 2013
Every Judge and Politician that conspired with Don is to blame for 29 men being shot out of a cannon at UBB. They helped pave the way for his reckless, arrogant actions, that led to a National disaster. The "Black Lord" had absolute power, and the results were disastrous. He dragged the whole Industry down with him, and it will be a long, hard road back.
whitey

Beckley, WV

#44 Feb 3, 2013
consol is to be up for sale in 2013

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#45 Feb 3, 2013
whitey wrote:
consol is to be up for sale in 2013
U are prolly correct, their coal interests are only doing fair, they are shifting capital improvement $ away from coal & improving natural gas interests which is doing good business, they have lot of coal related pollution treatment costs to deal with & lot of UMWA health & retirement costs. Wouldn't suprise me at all if they would try to spin all that off like Peabody & Arch did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRUMP is an acronym for........ 45 min LiberalTilDeath 13
east beckley bloods 3 hr CrayCray RayRay 5
beckley po po 3 hr eb bloods 1
thomas leftwich 3 hr eb bloods 5
eb bloods 3 hr eb bloods 1
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 4 hr _FLATLINE-------- 6,537
Powers in SRJ 4 hr trustee 10
John Howerton Honda on verge of bankruptcy 8 hr Canada-wondering 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance