Sophia-Soak Creek Elementary & Head Lice

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Montgomery, WV

#1 Jan 25, 2009
Does anyone else have issues with their children and this school when it comes to head lice. We just moved to WV this year, and my daughter comes home constantly with lice...I spend hundreds of dollars and hours of hard cleaning to get rid of it and next thing I know...she comes home again with it...What is the schools policy with head lice?? Why aren't they doing anything to help the parents who give a damn about their kids hair. Am I the only one with this problem and the school?? If not help me help our kids and get the attention we need to make sure EVERY PARENT is held responsible!!!
YouKnowMe

Roanoke, VA

#2 Jan 25, 2009
You are exactly right! Some parents don't know how to go through their children's hair. They don't realize that they have to pick out every single egg or nit or whatever. I moved from WV last year, and what do ya know.... the lice was gone. I got so aggrevated because I had to put my girls (all three of them) through so much trying to get those nasty things out. My girls were in daycare and school, and it seemed like my nightmare with lice would never end. The policy where my child goes to school now is if they find lice, the child is gone for a week... no exception. The school nurse inspects them before they return to class when the week is up.
I know your frustration.. You can do everything you can ,,, and if other parents do not treat their kids, the problem will never go away. I would make sure the school is aware of the problem and just hang in there and check your kids every single night when they get out of the tub. I'm sorry you have to go through this, good luck.
HELP

Winterville, NC

#3 Jan 25, 2009
ashleygage34555 wrote:
Does anyone else have issues with their children and this school when it comes to head lice. We just moved to WV this year, and my daughter comes home constantly with lice...I spend hundreds of dollars and hours of hard cleaning to get rid of it and next thing I know...she comes home again with it...What is the schools policy with head lice?? Why aren't they doing anything to help the parents who give a damn about their kids hair. Am I the only one with this problem and the school?? If not help me help our kids and get the attention we need to make sure EVERY PARENT is held responsible!!!
You need to call the school first thing in the morning and let them know who you and your child is. The teacher needs to know so they can call a health nurse in and check the other kids. Please do this to stop this going from one kid to another. Could be a kid on the bus or something, but am sure the school will work with you. Good luck

“Just a Mountaineer”

Level 1

Since: Feb 08

Beckley

#4 Jan 25, 2009
What grade? I check my kids head every week. When I see his scratch his head, I start looking.

Also,(please dont take this the wrong way), if they sleep with dolls, stuffed animals, you need to put the stuffed animals in the dryer for about 10 min. They say 5 but I do more so I know for sure those creatures are dead. The lice can live on toys with hair and fur. I dont care what they say, they can. My friends daughter kept lice at this school and we found the lice on the stuffed dogs and her barbie dolls. Put the dolls in a garbage bag and treat with a spray for lice. We even put the dolls in the dryer. Use a lower heat but do it for a longer time.

A doctor told me to use COCONUT SHAMPOO and CONDITIONER. The lice cant stand the coconut. My kids havent had lice since they started using it.
Robert

United States

#5 Jan 25, 2009
YouKnowMe

Roanoke, VA

#6 Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, it's true about lice living in stuffed animals and anything hairy you have. I even read that lice live in cats,,, not dogs, just cats (kinda strange). I put listerine in my girls hair (just one of the many things I used as a last resort to treat my kids aside from that harsh RID stuff.. I saw it on some web site). Believe it or not, it worked. I put on the listerine like it was shampoo, and I used a plasic bag (like you would use to dye your hair or frost it or whatever) you just have to tie it really tight so it don't fall over their face (obviously).... and leave it on there for about an hour,,,, but still, even after that, you still have to dig all the bugs out. After I did that for a couple of nights, they never came back. I will never forget all the money I spent at the laundry mat washing and drying all of our sheets and pillows and stuffed animals and everthing.. ahhhh!! How frustrating!
hello

Charleston, WV

#7 Jan 26, 2009
My child used to attend Sophia-Soak Creek, and there was always a lice problem!! The pricipal there told me as long as she had eggs and not the nits themselves, that they dont even call parents! She also told me that they cannot just go in and check each child's head when lice is discovered in a classroom. I could not help but to ask this "highly educated" person what she thought laid those lice eggs and what the lice eggs hatched into! My child had lice, I took her home and treated it, sent her back 2 days later, and she came home with it again! It has been a couple of years ago, but I remember that there was an outbreak, and the pricipal did not seem to care. There was another instance when my child called me at work from school complaining of itching real bad, and I asked the school nurse to check her head. The nurse told me she found no lice and I brought my daughter home to find that she was infested! I just dont think that they care at all.
HELP

Winterville, NC

#8 Jan 26, 2009
ashleygage34555 wrote:
Did you call the school ? The person that wrote about the stuff animals and toys is 100% right. Remember the school needs to know. What grade is your child in ?
WHY NOT

Lubbock, TX

#9 Jan 26, 2009
report it to the health dept
Rocky

Charleston, WV

#10 Jan 26, 2009
hello wrote:
My child used to attend Sophia-Soak Creek, and there was always a lice problem!! The pricipal there told me as long as she had eggs and not the nits themselves, that they dont even call parents! She also told me that they cannot just go in and check each child's head when lice is discovered in a classroom. I could not help but to ask this "highly educated" person what she thought laid those lice eggs and what the lice eggs hatched into! My child had lice, I took her home and treated it, sent her back 2 days later, and she came home with it again! It has been a couple of years ago, but I remember that there was an outbreak, and the pricipal did not seem to care. There was another instance when my child called me at work from school complaining of itching real bad, and I asked the school nurse to check her head. The nurse told me she found no lice and I brought my daughter home to find that she was infested! I just dont think that they care at all.
Sorry but the principals hands are tied with the right to privacy act. Health department highly defends this right to privacy. Sorry no help there. I understand the right to privacy but the rest of us would like a heads up for our own health. What has our world come to.
YouKnowMe

Roanoke, VA

#11 Jan 26, 2009
To hell with the right to privacy act. Doesn't the school have to notify the parent of potential health hazards? What if there was an outbreak of MRSA in this school? Would the principal be worried about the privacy act, then? I would do whatever I could to make sure the parents are notified. I would want to know if lice was going around at my daughters school. When my girls were going to daycare, I told the director every time my girls had something that even looked like a nit or an egg, and she never sent home a notice to all the parents. I was always being called at work to come get my kid because she was scratching her head,,, yet they never bothered to send a notice home. Now, a year and a half later, there is still probably a lice problem at that daycare.
HELP

Winterville, NC

#12 Jan 26, 2009
ashleygage34555 wrote:
My children go to Mabscott Elementary school and yes they send a note home when lice is going around, and if you look around the kid or kids are off from school a few days,
Rocky

Charleston, WV

#13 Jan 26, 2009
YouKnowMe wrote:
To hell with the right to privacy act. Doesn't the school have to notify the parent of potential health hazards? What if there was an outbreak of MRSA in this school? Would the principal be worried about the privacy act, then? I would do whatever I could to make sure the parents are notified. I would want to know if lice was going around at my daughters school. When my girls were going to daycare, I told the director every time my girls had something that even looked like a nit or an egg, and she never sent home a notice to all the parents. I was always being called at work to come get my kid because she was scratching her head,,, yet they never bothered to send a notice home. Now, a year and a half later, there is still probably a lice problem at that daycare.
Sorry the same with mrsa. I was shooked.

“Just a Mountaineer”

Level 1

Beckley

#14 Jan 26, 2009
If the school would send home a note and they know to look and keep looking, it may greatly reduce lice in the schools. The notes they send home at the beginning of the school year, that takes us about an hour or so to fill out, make one to where the parents sign stating they will be held accountable for not being responsible.

My nephew had lice and they tried 2 different kinds of lice treatments and neither worked. So they called the doctor and he said to use mineral oil, wrap the hair/head with a plastic bag then use the nit comb to get them out. They said it worked great. I also found out that there is a lice that is resistant to the lice treatment.

“......Country Girl......”

Since: Nov 08

Pine Grove, WV

#15 Jan 27, 2009
hello wrote:
Why can't they go into the classrooms and check? I remember going through grade school and there being almost weekly checks. The school nurse would come in and everyone would lay their heads down and she would check.
If indeed all of these things have had to stop due to "PRIVACY" reasons, then it has been taken way too far.

Also one of the biggest tips for parents, as you send your kinds out the door in the morning, spray some hairspray in their hair. I went through 14 years of public schooling without getting lice once because my mother made sure my hair was pulled up and sprayed down.:)

“Just a Mountaineer”

Level 1

Beckley

#16 Jan 29, 2009
Just send home a note to tell the parents to check and keep on checking for a few weeks or so. If they do it school wide, then not one kid can be singled out. I guess the schools problem and privacy concern is that the parents would ask the child who wasnt at school today. Then the parents would tell their kids not to play with that kid anymore.

Its like, well that kid is dirty so dont you play with them. Or that kid is mean so dont you play with them. It isnt the kids fault. Its the schools and the parents for not checking the child.
SSCE Mom of 3

Jolo, WV

#17 Jan 29, 2009
All of my kids have gone through Soak Creek school and I never had any trouble with lice. You better watch who youre letting your kids spend the night with. Lice can't jump. They would have to be using someoone else's brush or sharing other stuff. My kids teachers always have told em to put their coats in their backpacks anyways. They have great teachers down there and a great principal. I think it is too bad that you cant apreciate what a good school it is.
wvgirl

United States

#18 Jan 29, 2009
there is a place that was advertised on tv called Nit picking Hair Salon in Princeton. They will treat your childs head in one treatment and put them under a light and get all the nits and eggs..Just some help

Since: Jan 09

Montgomery, WV

#19 Jan 29, 2009
I have called the school, they tell me there is nothing they can do. The health department will no longer allow them to check each childs head. She did say that when they discover a child has it then they send a note home to parents...so how come both times I contacted them to tell them i was keeping her out for a day to deal with it, no note was ever sent home to any of her classmates?? How can we fix this problem...Its not fair that we have to continuly poison our chilrens head...who knows what kind of horrible reprecussions all this poison could do in the long run....

“Just a Mountaineer”

Level 1

Beckley

#20 Jan 29, 2009
Lice can crawl around on the seat in the lunch room, class room, bus, etc. Ive heard they can jump and they cant jump. Jumping or not, they can crawl/walk/move around.

I saw on the news a couple of months ago that there is a type of lice who is resistent to the lice treatments.

Now every day when they come home from school and before they go to school, I check my kids. So if they do come home with it, I know they got it at school that day. Just get use to it I guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shootings 27 min Porch Honkey 30
Cable TV Sold To French 1 hr Class 7
What's up with all of the shootings has me scar... 1 hr R3dstar 11
News Parents Complain Over Lack of School A/C 2 hr citizenM 1
coach daniels woodrow baseball 2 hr bout time 8
AEP-RAPES Customers AGAIN 2 hr nemesis 29
Looking (May '12) 3 hr guy 28
More from around the web

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE