man in wheelchair always drunk

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dillon

Beckley, WV

#1 Jun 2, 2011
So... anyone know the history on this guy that scoots around Beckley with part of his leg missing? He's got a long beard and hair and seems like he's always getting arrested or refused service. He was in Krogers the other day and they were refusing to sell him beer. He got pretty nasty with them...

Since: Jun 10

Topix

#2 Jun 2, 2011
If you'd like to know something, the next time you encounter him, why not introduce yourself and ask him what happened to his leg, and let the conversation go from there? He may be a homeless veteran and have lots of interesting things to talk about.
WOW

Beckley, WV

#3 Jun 2, 2011
I have seen him, and talked to him for a quick minute. He was at Walmart and rolled right out into oncoming traffic and just sat there to talk to me. He asked me for money, and I didn't have any, and was polite at first but when I told him to be careful where he was sitting, he started cussing the drivers and became very vulgar. I don't know anything else about him, but I would have loved to hear more of his story .... I just didn't want to be the reason if he got hit by a car.
dillon

Beckley, WV

#4 Jun 2, 2011
hourglass wrote:
If you'd like to know something, the next time you encounter him, why not introduce yourself and ask him what happened to his leg, and let the conversation go from there? He may be a homeless veteran and have lots of interesting things to talk about.
He's pretty scary. I tried to hold the door open for him at a gas station and he just growled and grumbled at me. doesn't seem much like the talkative type.
evils of booze

Beckley, WV

#5 Jun 2, 2011
Another fine example of what the evils of booze will do to you. I think that is why he is in the wheelchair in the first place, but then we have those who blame all evil on drugs and claim alcohol is not really that bad. He has a bottle in his hand a lot of times and is drolling. Someone needs to do something to keep he inside and out of harms way. Alcohol kills in so many ways. But then other drugs are so much worse because they are illegal. Funny how the legal system and laws work these days, Funny how people no longer look at the right and wrong of things, just the legality.
notsure

Beckley, WV

#6 Jun 2, 2011
evils of booze wrote:
Another fine example of what the evils of booze will do to you. I think that is why he is in the wheelchair in the first place, but then we have those who blame all evil on drugs and claim alcohol is not really that bad. He has a bottle in his hand a lot of times and is drolling. Someone needs to do something to keep he inside and out of harms way. Alcohol kills in so many ways. But then other drugs are so much worse because they are illegal. Funny how the legal system and laws work these days, Funny how people no longer look at the right and wrong of things, just the legality.
Not sure I get where you are coming from. I am an advocate of the sweet leaf for use for both medicinal and recreational reasons... and I too think it's silly it is illegal while alcohol and cigs are legal. But you are sounding like a druggie who is trying to justify something.... maybe I'm wrong on this. Just what I see in your statement is you are bitter towards drug laws for some reason, not necessariy the alcohol. Do you use drugs and set back and look down upon those that drink?

Topix

#7 Jun 2, 2011
dillon wrote:
<quoted text>
He's pretty scary. I tried to hold the door open for him at a gas station and he just growled and grumbled at me. doesn't seem much like the talkative type.
ROFL, oh well. That was nice of you. If you risked doing an act of kindness to him one more time, he might recall you, but he might not, too. I imagine he's under some pretty hard times, but he may really be fairly harmless. Befriending people is always a gamble.

Topix

#8 Jun 2, 2011
evils of booze wrote:
Someone needs to do something? You can do something. Just call up the county sheriff's office and talk to them about your concern that he needs to be kept out of harm's way.
WOW

Beckley, WV

#9 Jun 2, 2011
He was very pleasant towards me , just mean to the drivers who had every right to be driving, he was wearing a military jacket (it was cold then) ...could have been someone else's but, I thought maybe he lost his leg during a war and quite possibly his life and family, as many others did. Maybe he turned to drinking as a comfort for being crippled the rest of his life, not the best thing to do, I don't guess but maybe to him being drunk beats being alone or facing the fact that he will never walk again. Maybe he is in so much pain, he can't bare to be sober, I wouldn't write him off as another drunk , he could have given up his life, to help make yours possible.And, maybe he got upset with the oncoming traffic because he wanted them to hit him , and make his pain stop.
lol

United States

#10 Jun 2, 2011
That guy was never in the military, just a mean old drunk
thatcher1964

Beckley, WV

#11 Jun 2, 2011
lol wrote:
That guy was never in the military, just a mean old drunk
I have seen him and wondered what was wrong. He seemd out of it when I saw him at the store. If he's a vet and truly messed up, that's a shame he has noone.

Topix

#12 Jun 2, 2011
Poor guy. I hope he isn't a diabetic.
I think

Beckley, WV

#13 Jun 3, 2011
I think the man you are talking about is a guy named jay Bragg and he is usually carting a big knife in that wheel chair with him and no he has not been in the milary I think he lost his legs years ago when he passed out on his front porch in the winter time and got his legs amputated do to frost bite in order to save his life.
canada_wondering

United States

#14 Jun 3, 2011
The man is Roger Hill from Stanford...I know his family personally. He was not in the war...Marines years ago but no war. He has lived this lifestyle for years by his own choosing. His family will not let him live with them and the Mom is elderly. He is a alcoholic and used to be a mean guy...not the one u want to be around. He did live with some people next to the landfill if they have not threw him out.
WOW

Beckley, WV

#15 Jun 3, 2011
I hate to hear that , sadly enough I wish my thoughts would have been the truth. I hate to see people let themselves waste away, makes me wonder what makes people snap and make the choices they make.

Level 1

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#16 Jun 3, 2011
notsure wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure I get where you are coming from. I am an advocate of the sweet leaf for use for both medicinal and recreational reasons... and I too think it's silly it is illegal while alcohol and cigs are legal. But you are sounding like a druggie who is trying to justify something.... maybe I'm wrong on this. Just what I see in your statement is you are bitter towards drug laws for some reason, not necessariy the alcohol. Do you use drugs and set back and look down upon those that drink?
I agree with you. Alcohol and tobacco are bad, m'kay? But, that doesn't refute the dangers of other serious drugs like opiates and cocaine, for instance.

Level 1

Location hidden

#17 Jun 3, 2011
I heard an ad on the radio a few weeks ago. I think it was the Mission, or perhaps another charity, and they have started a program to help the homeless and also weed out people that aren't really homeless, but just panhandling. I often see people near the interstate entrance at Crossroads Mall and near Ryan's. I didn't write down the information, and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know? That would be a great resource for all of us. The ad said they dispatch a social worker out immediately to meet with the person and get them the help they need, and if they're not truly homeless or in need, get them off the streets. As I see it, if anyone has resorted to begging for money on the streets, they're troubled and in need of help.

Topix

#18 Jun 3, 2011
Jennn wrote:
I heard an ad on the radio a few weeks ago. I think it was the Mission, or perhaps another charity, and they have started a program to help the homeless and also weed out people that aren't really homeless, but just panhandling. I often see people near the interstate entrance at Crossroads Mall and near Ryan's. I didn't write down the information, and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know? That would be a great resource for all of us. The ad said they dispatch a social worker out immediately to meet with the person and get them the help they need, and if they're not truly homeless or in need, get them off the streets. As I see it, if anyone has resorted to begging for money on the streets, they're troubled and in need of help.
That sounds like a good undertaking. Here is a link about it...

"Because of the times we live in" soliciting on rise in region:

http://bdtonline.com/local/x1019715304/-Becau...

In the county where I live, the DHHR is just down the road from the interstate exit where the panhandlers used to be, and they couldn't do anything about the problem, so an ordinance was passed. I have yet to see anybody panhandling since, and I travel that way a lot.

Putnam County Panhandling Ordinance Becomes Reality

http://statejournal.com/story.cfm...

Topix

#19 Jun 3, 2011
Ooops! I don't think that link was what you were referring to after all, since it's Bluefield.

Level 1

Location hidden

#20 Jun 4, 2011
Yes, it is HG. I think they help in areas other than just Bluefield. Thanks =)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum 10 min Faith 744
modleys plumming 21 min beentheredonethat 3
Big mouth Paul Masley 1 hr Ambrose 1
No more 1 hr Ronald 20
Lawyer 1 hr Rena 7
homewreakers 1 hr Wimpy 7
What are your opinions of the Associates of OB/... (Jun '08) 1 hr Wimpy 137
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages