Rax

Newport News, VA

#1 Oct 24, 2012
Boycott Arbys to show we the people do not tolerate this kind of mistreatment of employees:

Ohio fast food employee is fired after fleeing robber
Mary Archer had been held up twice before at the Arby’s restaurant in Fairborn, Ohio, where she was the manager on duty, her daughter said. She came away unscathed both times.

But after the third robbery Friday, when a man with a knife entered the store and demanded the assistant manager turn over the restaurant’s money, her boss fired her.

“I just never thought that this would happen to me, especially since my life was at stake,” she told CNN affiliate WHIO.

Archer was terminated for staying at the restaurant by herself,“long after hours,” which is in violation of Arby’s franchise security policy, said John Gray, vice-president of corporate communications for Arby’s Restaurant Group, Inc.

The store location where she worked is a franchise that is not corporate-owned, he said.

Archer was not injured in the attempted robbery, even though she got into an altercation with the knife-wielding intruder.

“I had pushed him away,” she said,“because I’m like, I’m not going to die in Arby’s tonight. I’m just not.”

She screamed for help through the drive-through window, then jumped out of it to get away from the man, who fled. Someone heard Archer and called police.

Later, Archer signed a document her supervisor handed her, stating that she had violated security policy.

It was the end of her employment. January would have marked 23 years with the company, she said.

She crumpled up the security notice out of frustration.

“She had been warned in the past and had received a written warning that if she did it again she would be terminated,” Gray explained, saying that the policy was to preserve employee safety.

Archer said she was at the restaurant late, because she was closing up shop. Then she heard someone at the door.  It was the man with the knife.

“We have no alarms, no cameras,” she said.“That should have been nipped in the bud that very first attempt.”

Archer’s daughter told WHIO the store had been robbed three times in the past six months and that her mother had been on duty each time.

“I don’t want my job back,” Archer said.

She is happy to be alive.

Score Keeper The Greatest

“Score Keeper Score Keeper”

Level 7

Since: Dec 11

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#2 Oct 24, 2012
Sounds like an inside job to me.
lolwat

Bethesda, MD

#3 Oct 24, 2012
She wasn't fired for fleeing from the robber. She was fired for closing the store by herself (it's against store policy) multiple times. They want more than one person in store to close so no money is "lost".
answer

United States

#4 Oct 24, 2012
Really? She was robbed twice before and not only is it against store policy to stay late alone....she was told herself not to stay alone! It's her own fault, she deserves to be fired! Boycott!? Not hardly! Grow up.
more

Beckley, WV

#5 Oct 24, 2012
In fact I think I might eat there more.... apparently Arbys' is so good to their employees that they will keep working there even after being robbed twice. THat sounds amazing. if someone robbed me one time not only would I shoot them in the head as the left but I would quit the next day.
wvu

Springfield, NJ

#6 Oct 24, 2012
Rax wrote:
Boycott Arbys to show we the people do not tolerate this kind of mistreatment of employees:

Mary Archer had been held up twice before at the Arby’s restaurant in Fairborn, Ohio, where she was the manager on duty, her daughter said. She came away unscathed both times.

But after the third robbery Friday, when a man with a knife entered the store and demanded the assistant manager turn over the restaurant’s money, her boss fired her.

“I just never thought that this would happen to me, especially since my life was at stake,” she told CNN affiliate WHIO.

Archer was terminated for staying at the restaurant by herself,“long after hours,” which is in violation of Arby’s franchise security policy, said John Gray, vice-president of corporate communications for Arby’s Restaurant Group, Inc.

The store location where she worked is a franchise that is not corporate-owned, he said.

Archer was not injured in the attempted robbery, even though she got into an altercation with the knife-wielding intruder.

“I had pushed him away,” she said,“because I’m like, I’m not going to die in Arby’s tonight. I’m just not.”

She screamed for help through the drive-through window, then jumped out of it to get away from the man, who fled. Someone heard Archer and called police.

Later, Archer signed a document her supervisor handed her, stating that she had violated security policy.

It was the end of her employment. January would have marked 23 years with the company, she said.

“She had been warned in the past and had received a written warning that if she did it again she would be terminated,” Gray explained, saying that the policy was to preserve employee safety.

Archer said she was at the restaurant late, because she was closing up shop. Then she heard someone at the door. It was the man with the knife.

“We have no alarms, no cameras,” she said.“That should have been nipped in the bud that very first attempt.”

Archer’s daughter told WHIO the store had been robbed three times in the past six months and that her mother had been on duty each time.

How about you boycott oxygen
Megyn

Falls Church, VA

#7 Oct 24, 2012
Rax wrote:
Archer said she was at the restaurant late, because she was closing up shop. Then she heard someone at the door.  It was the man with the knife.
So...why would you want a boycott of all Arby's restaurants when that one was a privately owned franchise? Would you get fired from your job for repeatedly violating policy? Of course, I'm probably making the error of assuming you have a job. Three robberies? Really? Lightning seldom strikes twice, but three times? C'mon! I'm gonna go get a roast beef sandwich and a milk shake.
Megyn

Falls Church, VA

#8 Oct 24, 2012
wvu wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you boycott oxygen
Excellent suggestion! There'd probably be one less Obama voter!
Cherry Garcia

Beckley, WV

#9 Oct 24, 2012
Looks like another ROmney supporter can't even spell Megan. whats your parents names Jak and Jyll?
Megyn

Falls Church, VA

#10 Oct 24, 2012
Cherry Garcia wrote:
Looks like another ROmney supporter can't even spell Megan. whats your parents names Jak and Jyll?
Lol Namecalling: The foundation of the liberal argument. I'm surprised you didn't squeeze the term "racist" in there! That'd be original!
Good food

Oak Hill, WV

#11 Oct 24, 2012
I will eat at Arbys twice today to show my thanks for posting this.
Canada wondering

United States

#12 Oct 24, 2012
Good mood fooooodddd...she repeatedly violated policy!
Megyn

Falls Church, VA

#13 Oct 24, 2012
Canada wondering wrote:
Good mood fooooodddd...she repeatedly violated policy!
Violation!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
natalie and jack 1 hr nosurprise 45
shannon frazier dead 3 hr black hawk 1
Beckley's Catholic Problem 3 hr WillhegoRound 36
Pray for me please 4 hr Nancy 11
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 hr The Last Warrior ... 1,476
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 7 hr Jon_B 6,718
City National Bank sells to 5/3 Bank 8 hr Agnes Bailey 2

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance