VA doctor's resign
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
chineseart

Beckley, WV

#1 Aug 23, 2011
I was at the VA for an appointment and overheard a few employees saying that every doc in the clinics turned in their resignation. Any one know anything about this?
jim

Rocky Mount, NC

#2 Aug 23, 2011
i haven't heard this. I used to work there and that place is one sucky place to work. Somebody is always screwing with you. You are never allowed to just do your job and be left alone. This is the reason that the VA can't keep good doctors. Doctors can make twice the money elsewhere and not put up with half the BS
Politics

Charleston, WV

#3 Aug 23, 2011
They can't provide good care there because of all the administration politics. I wouldn't take my dog there, much less my elderly father.
chineseart

Beckley, WV

#4 Aug 24, 2011
Heard that the docs don't want to have to answer to the RN's or the head of pharmacy

Since: Jun 10

Topix

#5 Aug 24, 2011
August 25, 2011

Beckley VA Medical Center is losing 5 doctors

http://www.register-herald.com/local/x8906784...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Aug 25, 2011
I have never used the VA yet.... I've been pretty lucky with my health. But I leve next to a nurse from there, she seems capable, but Ive never seen her in action. I have heard less than nice things about the place though. Guess eventually I'll probably have to see for myself. Hopefully not in the near futur though.
Mmhmm

San Mateo, CA

#7 Aug 25, 2011
chineseart wrote:
Heard that the docs don't want to have to answer to the RN's or the head of pharmacy
Especially the nurses who think they're doctors and give out meds that haven't been prescribed.
chineseart

Beckley, WV

#8 Aug 25, 2011
hourglass wrote:
August 25, 2011

Beckley VA Medical Center is losing 5 doctors

http://www.register-herald.com/local/x8906784...
The article says 5 clinic doctors. It never mentioned the 3 hospitalist that are leaving too!

Topix

#9 Aug 25, 2011
It's so easy for them to say there should be little to no impact on patients. Heck, as many times as my veteran has had PCPs changed on him in the past, without any notification, I know better.

With his long and complicated medical history, he doesn't receive the care he needs when a new doc takes over, and I know that's the case for many others. Doctor/patient relationships take time. Throughout his PCP changes, we've been told, outright, "Well, since you have so many things going on, I just don't have time to cover all of this with you today"...then, they're gone, and somebody else is there for the follow-up, just to say and do the same thing.

Luckily, though, he has had his latest PCP for over a year, but, just last week I had taken him to a long awaited appointment with him, that we had be looking forward to, with 15 important issues to address. Nobody informed us, as usual, that another doc would be seeing him instead and the visit was basically wasted.

Before going to the next PCP appointment, I'm calling the VA that morning to see if his doctor is there, and, if not, the appointment is being cancelled and rescheduled at a time when he is.

It is very challenging dealing with the VA, but everything that they put on paper sounds so good...for them, that is. They make sure they're covered, whether it's factual, or not.

(Sorry, just needed to unload a little bit there. There is a whole lot more where that came from.)

I wish everyone who goes to any VA hospital a lot of luck, but especially Beckley VA patients during this transition.
Rumplestiltskin

Beckley, WV

#10 Aug 25, 2011
Don't believe a word Voloski told the paper. She is a paid spokesperson for the VA, and will tell you what they want you to hear.

The fact is, the Doctors and other prescribers are sick and tired of orders from nurses and pill counters. The VA hired about 200 new staff in recent years -- ALL MANAGEMENT.

Primary Care patients are going to be seen by nurses. Its part of the new program at the VA. Wait and see, they will hire Nurse Practitioners to take the place of the hospitalist doctors that are leaving. The VA is claiming that Nurse Practitioners can practice medicine without a doctor's supervision. Sad.. sad.. sad...

I pity the veterans.

Level 1

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#11 Aug 25, 2011
Rumplestiltskin wrote:
Don't believe a word Voloski told the paper. She is a paid spokesperson for the VA, and will tell you what they want you to hear.
The fact is, the Doctors and other prescribers are sick and tired of orders from nurses and pill counters. The VA hired about 200 new staff in recent years -- ALL MANAGEMENT.
Primary Care patients are going to be seen by nurses. Its part of the new program at the VA. Wait and see, they will hire Nurse Practitioners to take the place of the hospitalist doctors that are leaving. The VA is claiming that Nurse Practitioners can practice medicine without a doctor's supervision. Sad.. sad.. sad...
I pity the veterans.

Please check your facts. Last time I checked, 16 states plus the District of Columbia allow NPs to practice COMPLETELY INDEPENDENTLY (includes in some states prescribing Schedule II narcotics). It's been awhile, so there may be more now. Unfortunately, WV isn't one of them, but will only be a matter of time before it passes the legislature. BTW, 2 hospitalists are leaving the facility, one is transferring to a different department. And for people on here complaining about the care, how many have actually talked to a veteran getting his/her care there?

Topix

#12 Aug 25, 2011
I do too, and think that they deserve the full red carpet treatment instead of what they get dished out to them at their guinea pig hospitals.
paperorplastic

Beckley, WV

#13 Aug 26, 2011
hoothorse wrote:
<quoted text>Please check your facts. Last time I checked, 16 states plus the District of Columbia allow NPs to practice COMPLETELY INDEPENDENTLY (includes in some states prescribing Schedule II narcotics). It's been awhile, so there may be more now. Unfortunately, WV isn't one of them, but will only be a matter of time before it passes the legislature. BTW, 2 hospitalists are leaving the facility, one is transferring to a different department. And for people on here complaining about the care, how many have actually talked to a veteran getting his/her care there?
ALL 3 hospitalist on 3rd floor are leaving. You obviously don't have your facts straight. Go ask and let me know what you find out.
Rumplestiltskin

Beckley, WV

#14 Aug 26, 2011
hoothorse wrote:
<quoted text>
Please check your facts. Last time I checked, 16 states plus the District of Columbia allow NPs to practice COMPLETELY INDEPENDENTLY (includes in some states prescribing Schedule II narcotics). It's been awhile, so there may be more now. Unfortunately, WV isn't one of them, but will only be a matter of time before it passes the legislature. BTW, 2 hospitalists are leaving the facility, one is transferring to a different department. And for people on here complaining about the care, how many have actually talked to a veteran getting his/her care there?
16 states don't make it right - or SAFE. Liquor and cigarettes are sold in all 50 states but that isn't right either. So where is your logic? Just showing the nursing lobby has a secret agenda? Well, we know that.

And we know Nurse Practitioners do NOT have the extensive medical training an MD or DO has. They basically write a paper and do some clinical hours to go from an RN to a NP degree. You know it and I know it.-- so stop trying to fool people into thinking you are a doctor.

Most NPs I know are dumber than dumb. None of them could pass the USMLE 1,2 or 3..and I do mean NONE! And just to let you know, the American Medical Association is staunchly opposing any independent practice of NPs. Read up. Check your facts. Ask the WV Board of Medicine if they plan to allow NPs Independent practice in WV. Ask them.
If I were a patient at the VA - any VA, I would be afraid... VERY AFRAID. VA patients need to write Senator Jay Rockefeller and let him know how they feel.

Level 1

Location hidden

#15 Aug 26, 2011
paperorplastic wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL 3 hospitalist on 3rd floor are leaving. You obviously don't have your facts straight. Go ask and let me know what you find out.
Ummm...no, two are leaving the facility, one transferring. But thanks.
FNP

Elkview, WV

#16 Aug 26, 2011
Rumplestiltskin wrote:
<quoted text>
16 states don't make it right - or SAFE. Liquor and cigarettes are sold in all 50 states but that isn't right either. So where is your logic? Just showing the nursing lobby has a secret agenda? Well, we know that.
And we know Nurse Practitioners do NOT have the extensive medical training an MD or DO has. They basically write a paper and do some clinical hours to go from an RN to a NP degree. You know it and I know it.-- so stop trying to fool people into thinking you are a doctor.
Most NPs I know are dumber than dumb. None of them could pass the USMLE 1,2 or 3..and I do mean NONE! And just to let you know, the American Medical Association is staunchly opposing any independent practice of NPs. Read up. Check your facts. Ask the WV Board of Medicine if they plan to allow NPs Independent practice in WV. Ask them.
If I were a patient at the VA - any VA, I would be afraid... VERY AFRAID. VA patients need to write Senator Jay Rockefeller and let him know how they feel.
I just have a few comments to add. I am a nurse practitioner, and yes, you are right--my education isn't as extensive as that of a physician. It isn't meant to be, because we aren't doctors. We are mid-level providers who are trained to provide care for mild or moderate conditions.

As for the "secret agenda", anyone who follows the legislative sessions can see the agenda: improve care for the people of WV, and to maintain and advance our practice ability. it was advanced recently with the modification of our prescriptive authority regulations. And, to no surprise, the medical world didn't collapse when we were finally given the ability to prescribe a wider variety of medications.
As for the NPs you know who are "dumber than dumb", I can't answer to that since I don't know them. Maybe they are, but there are also physicians who are "dumber than dumb", also. If you doubt it, look at some of the records of physician malpractice and censured present on the BOM website. So, dumbness, it seems, is universal in the medical field.

As for the BOM, it has no control over my practice--no matter how many position statements it publishes. I answer to the BON.

As a matter of fact, i can practice independently in WV. The only thing that I need a physician for is to do a collaborative agreement for prescriptive authority. And as for completely independent practice (meaning the removal of the collaborative agreement requirement), it may happen, it may not. I'm content with things as they stand because I work with an excellent MD. Since you are concerned, though, you may want to investigate "medical homes". With your thoughts on NP practice, this concept may be utterly horrifying to you.

Writing papers was also a comment that you referenced. Yes, I wrote a paper. Actually, I wrote many. Three of which have been published in peer reviewed journals. No single one was the reason I earned my degree.
To clarify, technically, there is no such thing as an NP degree. I have a Master's degree, which is the minimum educational degree you can hold and practice as a NP in WV.

Now, I don't expect this information to affect your opinions. I personally feel that your opinions are on the irrational side, and in my experience the irrational can never be swayed. I would recommend you broaden your information base and read the actual WV CSR instead of simply making statements about contacting the AMA or WV BOM.

Level 1

Location hidden

#17 Aug 26, 2011
Rumplestiltskin wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm sure you also know that numerous studies have shown that NPs provide comparable, and in some cases, superior care to that of physicians in patient outcomes and ESPECIALLY patient satisfaction. No secret agenda.

Never said I'm an NP, PA, or physician. And I think everyone knows midlevel providers don't have the same amount of training that a physician. But they do have enough to provide competent and SAFE care in a variety of settings, especially family practice.

Sounds like I may have touched a nerve there. Could it be that you're one of the physicians that feel threatened by potential income losses? And everyone knows that the AMA is opposed to independent practice by NPs. Too bad it isn't up to them. Eventually it WILL be passed into law by the legislature. May take a few more years but it will happen.

If I were a patient I would be more afraid of physicians that don't lay a stethoscope on a patient's chest or check a prostate on a male patient that they had been seeing for years.
I know

Rocky Mount, NC

#18 Aug 26, 2011
A family member of mine is a NP. I can tell you that the care you get from a NP is at least as good as from a doctor.

If it weren't for the Nurse practitioners and staff RN's, beckley VA would have shut down years ago.

A NP is not second class health care. Some doctors ask them what their opinion is, because they do not know what to do. RN's run any hospital
paperorplastic

Beckley, WV

#19 Aug 26, 2011
hoothorse wrote:
<quoted text>Ummm...no, two are leaving the facility, one transferring. But thanks.

Not sure where you are getting your info from. One is going to another VA, one is retiring, and the other has already given a 60 day notice. I count that as three.
Hotshot

Tarboro, NC

#20 Aug 27, 2011
I heard that the Medical staff is headed by an OB/GYN guy,what is he doing in a VA hospital where
most of the patients are male.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 2 hr What sup 4,245
Review: Nighthawk Security (Jan '13) 6 hr Anonymous 37
Parking in Beckley/The Bad Parts of Town 11 hr Honestly 17
Airport Video (Nov '10) 13 hr Duh 141
Old Burger Boy 14 hr Warrior1256 2
Megan Howard 15 hr Not really 6
Health help 16 hr Karen 1

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance