Auditor: Toll-free 'pike will cost st...

Auditor: Toll-free 'pike will cost state millions

There are 25 comments on the Planning story from Jan 8, 2014, titled Auditor: Toll-free 'pike will cost state millions. In it, Planning reports that:

Jan. 07--CHARLESTON -- Whatever the Legislature is going to do with the West Virginia Turnpike, the legislative auditor says it should make its decision soon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Planning.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Political paycheck

Beckley, WV

#1 Jan 8, 2014
The state had no business looking at the toll booths as a form of revenues. The purpose of the tolls was to pay for the interstate investment in I64. Technically started in the late 1950s and completed in 1988, a quarter century after its completion those booths are still in place and rising in costs. The specific segment in between the booths cost back during its construction 300 million dollars. With all the traffic that that corridor sees and collects on both ends of it there is no possible way that 300 million has not been paid for multiple times over now.

Those booths need to be shut down, period. Keeping them open only serves to gouge West Virginians and people passing through. For a state who has a big concern about tourism, and one end of this stretch ending here in Beckley which is also a hub for tourism the state is not doing itself any favors by giving travelers a reason to find ways to bypass this route and in some cases the state all together.
helen

Mount Hope, WV

#2 Jan 8, 2014
take the booths down!! they can be torn down a lot cheaper than 20 million dollars.
Bobo frett

Beckley, WV

#3 Jan 8, 2014
Give the state a dollar or ride through the holler! Ye haw!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#4 Jan 8, 2014
We get a lot of toll road revenue from Rt. 77 from out of state vehicles. If we close down the tolls we will have to make that revenue up somewhere else. Compromise: give West Virginians an E-pass but still charge out of staters. That will reduce the amount of revenue to be made up some where else.
1 post removed
Andre the bigot

Oak Hill, WV

#6 Jan 9, 2014
Lets spend money to jail queer child molestors like Andre and his ilk.

Prosecutor:'Considerably more victims' in NKY molestation case

HEBRON, Ky.—A man accused of drugging and molesting a 13-year-old boy at his home may have other victims, prosecutors say.

Michael Schweitzer is charged with first-degree sodomy and unlawful transaction with a minor. Police records indicate that Schweitzer has "made statements and admissions to the above acts."

Schweitzer was in court Monday asking for a reduction in his $200,000 bond.

But a prosecutor asked for the bond to be increased because there were "considerably more victims." He also questioned Schweitzer's claim that he was indigent when he lived in a $320,000 home.

The judge kept Schweitzer's bond at $200,000 and dismissed his court-appointed attorney, telling him to secure a private attorney.

Some of the suspected victims and their families attended the hearing.

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Jan 11, 2014
I am not going to be politically correct on this comment because I am damn tired of hearing it. Except for a couple of storms that no one could control, the turnpike is one of the safest roads to travel. Why? Because they do no have every PC politician dipping in the barrel for money. They are constantly up grading and through the TP Grapevine, I understand certain sections are going three lanes which should have been done from the start.

If you faggots want money for your cause, raise it like the other minorities do or just do without!
1 post removed

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#9 Jan 11, 2014
Paul Masley wrote:
I am not going to be politically correct on this comment because I am damn tired of hearing it. Except for a couple of storms that no one could control, the turnpike is one of the safest roads to travel. Why? Because they do no have every PC politician dipping in the barrel for money. They are constantly up grading and through the TP Grapevine, I understand certain sections are going three lanes which should have been done from the start.
If you faggots want money for your cause, raise it like the other minorities do or just do without!
Going three lanes?...Clarification please...Certain sections WERE three lanes many years ago and it was considered one of the most dangerous roads in the country.

They used to sell T-shirts: I SURVIVED THE WV TURNPIKE...Why would they think three lanes would be better now?:)

PLUS....Coal severance taxes because of you know what are down, and they dropped the tax on groceries, like it was some big deal and where are we?......diminished tax dollars.

We do get a pile of tax money from gasoline though and they appear to be ready to
start nailing the gas companies, etc.

I'm usually on the other side of the tax question, but why remove a tax most people didn't even notice because it had been on for so long, and make all of these cuts for political reasons, then are too broke to take care of business, which means more taxes somewhere else.?

I noticed teachers most likely will get a two percent raise and state workers will get a five hundred dollar raise and a good will measure?....LOL

Five hundred a YEAR....now there is good faith:)
Teachers probably wont' fare much better.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#10 Jan 11, 2014
"as" a good will measure.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#11 Jan 11, 2014
Lesson Learned wrote:
We get a lot of toll road revenue from Rt. 77 from out of state vehicles. If we close down the tolls we will have to make that revenue up somewhere else. Compromise: give West Virginians an E-pass but still charge out of staters. That will reduce the amount of revenue to be made up some where else.
Sounds like a bunch of chickens are coming home to roost huh?:)
Tiger

Goshen, VA

#12 Jan 11, 2014
I recall a statement when I was a kid Russia offered to 55 or more years ago to buy it for something like 90 million because its guaranteed income !! This is when I rode bikes / trikes ! There employees were Unionized abd there Directors got rid of there Union I think ?
That's about a Million a year to bye it and its guaranteed $$!!
Tiger

Goshen, VA

#13 Jan 11, 2014
That's when you making 5 grand house cost u 2500 buks and and anew VW 1999 and Ford Galaxy new was 3100 !! Old rule wa 3X your income is how much house you can afford !!! I recall living on Valley Drive when they started building in like 1956 a few miles at a time !!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14 Jan 11, 2014
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a bunch of chickens are coming home to roost huh?:)
There should be a law to make them use all that toll road money in southern WV....like building a 4-lane highway through Wyoming County!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#15 Jan 11, 2014
The turnpike is already toll-free from the Virginia line to Ghent so I don't know why Mercer County is moaning about it.
Lilly

Snover, MI

#16 Jan 11, 2014
They can afford to fix there potholes DOH does Not !! Watch out for the pot holes and driving the speed limit you get more green lights !
Watch that drain in Beaver across from the boat sales tells you how dry you are !! Will tell you how much water is in the ground soaking in !! First rains in 10 years and Green Green Grass will be here soon and let the mowing begin !! Raking also I bet in Hi $$ houses !!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#17 Jan 11, 2014
Lilly wrote:
They can afford to fix there potholes DOH does Not !! Watch out for the pot holes and driving the speed limit you get more green lights !
Watch that drain in Beaver across from the boat sales tells you how dry you are !! Will tell you how much water is in the ground soaking in !! First rains in 10 years and Green Green Grass will be here soon and let the mowing begin !! Raking also I bet in Hi $$ houses !!
Think you must be on 64, not 77.
nemesis

United States

#18 Jan 11, 2014
The State should never have started using the Tolls as an IV to fund themselves. A lot of the money was wasted on bad projects like Tamarack, that drained it dry. It seems everybody has got their hand in the pot, and gouging people going through makes us look like bunch of money-grubbing hillbillies.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#19 Jan 11, 2014
Lesson Learned wrote:
<quoted text>
There should be a law to make them use all that toll road money in southern WV....like building a 4-lane highway through Wyoming County!
Same with the COAL money over the course of DECADES....

Which part of the state has produced the lions share of it and which parts have reaped the'

greatest rewards from it?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#20 Jan 11, 2014
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>
Same with the COAL money over the course of DECADES....
Which part of the state has produced the lions share of it and which parts have reaped the'
greatest rewards from it?
Of course I totally agree. Now that we have gas in the northern part of the state, guess who will get the benefit of that.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#21 Jan 11, 2014
nemesis wrote:
The State should never have started using the Tolls as an IV to fund themselves. A lot of the money was wasted on bad projects like Tamarack, that drained it dry. It seems everybody has got their hand in the pot, and gouging people going through makes us look like bunch of money-grubbing hillbillies.
Lots of states have toll roads...the most notorious I have been on is the Pennsylvania Turnpike...you REALLY take your life in your hands on that highway.
plymouth

Mount Hope, WV

#22 Jan 11, 2014
read awhile back the feds give w.va 10 million a year for this stretch of road already...but the state uses that monies elsewhere. people in Princeton who work in Beckley or Charleston have to pay tolls,tolls,tolls.i was coming from Virginia one day,,paid my toll at Ghent,went about two miles an stopped for an accident..sat there for 2 hours..turnpike had ne problem taking my money.i thought they shoulda told me first,but nnoooooo!..traffic was backed up several miles. turnpike kept takin money

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 9 hr what a russsh 7,763
Who is the best divorce lawyer in Beckley ? (Jul '11) 9 hr Hooie 48
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 20 hr ScaryClown 4,463
Apartment Tue Juwade 4
Applebee’s coming back to Beckley new owners Tue Koo Wee 2
Divorce lawyer recommendations Tue Juwade 13
MRSA at Raleigh general wound care center Tue dr killthere 5

Beckley Jobs

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages