Why is it so cold in restaurants

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Frosty

Huntington, WV

#1 Aug 22, 2010
My wife and I went to Macado's to have lunch and it was so cold in there that I had to go to the car and get our jackets and we nearly froze to death with our jackets on. It is miserable trying to eat in restaurants in beckley because they keep it so cold in there.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2 Aug 22, 2010
I think most of them are too hot:)
Ol Pal Dex

Peach Creek, WV

#3 Aug 22, 2010
Shootist wrote:
I think most of them are too hot:)
LMAO! How would you know?
You don't get out of the house.
elite sexy lady

Elkview, WV

#4 Aug 22, 2010
I think it is to keep the morbidly obese people from sweating to much while their eating. It takes them about 3 hours to eat and you don't want to be around 50 or more morbidly obese people sweating. The stench would run off a lot of customers.
turn up the heat

Lynchburg, VA

#5 Aug 22, 2010
I vote the IHOP the coldest in beckley and elite sexy lady be careful what you say about others it would be a shame for that to come back on you. Although after that comment I would say you deserve the karma you make for yourself.
Huey

Snowshoe, WV

#6 Aug 22, 2010
The restaurants are cold inside because it has been so hot outside and they want to make their patrons comfortable.
gummy

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Aug 24, 2010
they make it cold so you will get in and get out. Marketing studies show that you can't turn tables if people are comfortable they tend to stay longer. But if you can make it uncomfortable such as uncomforable boths, tables, temp and using colors such as red your more then likely to eat and leave. Its strictly a business move, and some air and heating units cant actually be controlled at the business itself.
Frosty

Huntington, WV

#8 Aug 24, 2010
gummy wrote:
they make it cold so you will get in and get out. Marketing studies show that you can't turn tables if people are comfortable they tend to stay longer. But if you can make it uncomfortable such as uncomforable boths, tables, temp and using colors such as red your more then likely to eat and leave. Its strictly a business move, and some air and heating units cant actually be controlled at the business itself.
That may be true but they have lost a customer. I will never go there again. I understand restaurants keeping it cool in there but it was down right cold in there. IHOP is the same way. I was at IHOP and this gentleman told them to turn the air conditioner back or he would go to Cracker Barrell and eat because they would build a fire over there.
building engineer

Houston, TX

#9 Aug 24, 2010
Restaurant air conditioning is based on square footage of the buildings, quantity and tint of windows, and head count for a restaurant.

Depending on how many people are occupying the space at any given time, it will effect the temp of the building. Low head count will generally result in lower temperatures.

Add kitchen equipment with heat and humidity producing capabilities like ovens, ranges and dishwashing areas. There's a balance to be made to properly condition the space considering square footage, head count and kitchen equipment.

And NEVER has the concept of rushing patrons, or quote:
"turn tables if people are comfortable they tend to stay longer. But if you can make it uncomfortable such as uncomforable boths, tables, temp and using colors such as red your more then likely to eat and leave. Its strictly a business move, and some air and heating units cant actually be controlled at the business itself."

ever come up in my countless design meetings with building owners, owners reps, architects, kitchen equipment consultants or ourselves, the engineers.

I have heard of this concept in fast food restaurants, not real restaurants. Real restaurants and business owners are generally concerned about the happiness and well-being of their customer base. The above is the very rare exception and not common to the real restaurant industry. I do notice the all you can eat Chinese place does rush you, fill your tea a lot and constantly ask if I'm finished.
gummy

Oak Hill, WV

#10 Aug 24, 2010
well just think about this next time your in a resturant how often do you see the color red? on your plate, booth, menu or pictures laying around. Boothes often tear and are normally not replced immediatley, are tables cushioned? they are often hard or not even placed there at all especially in high top tables. Chairs used at bars are not comfortable either I dont agree with any of the following terms but know for a fact they are used in many resturants for the soul purpose to get you in to eat, drink etc leave and bring in the next customer, marketing companies know more about you then you would even realize.
reddawg

Beckley, WV

#11 Aug 25, 2010
so ya can chill
Mr TMP

Oak Hill, WV

#12 Aug 25, 2010
building engineer wrote:
Restaurant air conditioning is based on square footage of the buildings, quantity and tint of windows, and head count for a restaurant.
Depending on how many people are occupying the space at any given time, it will effect the temp of the building. Low head count will generally result in lower temperatures.
Add kitchen equipment with heat and humidity producing capabilities like ovens, ranges and dishwashing areas. There's a balance to be made to properly condition the space considering square footage, head count and kitchen equipment.
"turn tables if people are comfortable they tend to stay longer. But if you can make it uncomfortable such as uncomforable boths, tables, temp and using colors such as red your more then likely to eat and leave. Its strictly a business move, and some air and heating units cant actually be controlled at the business itself."
ever come up in my countless design meetings with building owners, owners reps, architects, kitchen equipment consultants or ourselves, the engineers.
I have heard of this concept in fast food restaurants, not real restaurants. Real restaurants and business owners are generally concerned about the happiness and well-being of their customer base. The above is the very rare exception and not common to the real restaurant industry. I do notice the all you can eat Chinese place does rush you, fill your tea a lot and constantly ask if I'm finished.
I've always thought the workers, servers, cooks, cleaners, etc. tend to keep the temp low because they are exercising so much in their work, they would be warmer than the inactive customer. But maybe you're right about the balance and low head counts being a factor. The heavy duty systems designed for high head counts would cool the air before de-humidifying it, making it feel colder. The next one you design you should put in smart controls to cause optimum run times for each condition to hit the proper comfort zone, if you can convince them to spent the extra money to draw in extra customers. And over design worker areas like the cook area relative to the patron area. And don't eat that Chinese junk if they load it down with msg.
Monica

San Jose, CA

#13 Feb 13, 2011
As a building engineer, perhaps you should design a dual thermostat system. One that keeps the kitchen at an appropriate temperature and one that can be adjusted in the dining area based on need and occupancy. It is very difficult to enjoy a meal (as I am sure the restaurant wants you to) when you are freezing your rear end off.
where

United States

#14 Feb 13, 2011
something i have been told .. is when you are warm you are likely going to eat and drink less , when they keep it cold in a restauraunt you will likely eat and drink more , which is obviously good for business , im not sure exactly how this works as far as your body goes but they say it's a subconcious thing , i dont know for sure tho just what i've heard , and i have also heard the thing about making you less comfortable so you wont linger after you eat
missimple

Beckley, WV

#15 Feb 13, 2011
the temperature does fluxuate according to head counts. When a restuarant fills up it heats up and the temp changes accordingly. A simple solution (I know from experience) is to tell your server that it's uncomfortable. If they have been properly trained they will inform a manager and the temp will be changed to suit you. Most of the time servers, and managers, etc...are on their feet running mini marathons and they just don't realize the chill because they are on the go. All of the years I spent serving I never took offense to someone telling me they were cold and my managers always fixed the problem. Like I said, they sometimes don't realize until it is brought to their attention. They never minded accomodating the customer.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#16 Feb 14, 2011
I never go to a restaurant or theatre without a jacket or sweater. Theatres are the worst. It's easy to run out and get a jacket from a restaurant but in a theatre you miss part of the movie.
OMG

Oakvale, WV

#17 Feb 14, 2011
I always figured it was because most of them have large windows in them and it's always cold around the windows.
RestGM

Beckley, WV

#18 Feb 15, 2011
missimple wrote:
the temperature does fluxuate according to head counts. When a restuarant fills up it heats up and the temp changes accordingly. A simple solution (I know from experience) is to tell your server that it's uncomfortable. If they have been properly trained they will inform a manager and the temp will be changed to suit you. Most of the time servers, and managers, etc...are on their feet running mini marathons and they just don't realize the chill because they are on the go. All of the years I spent serving I never took offense to someone telling me they were cold and my managers always fixed the problem. Like I said, they sometimes don't realize until it is brought to their attention. They never minded accomodating the customer.
You are right on. I've worked in 6 restaraunts over 20 years, busboy, cook, waiter, and now a general manager. It is a simple answer. Most kitchens are very hot, the work flow is very fast paced, and most places have a less than comfortable uniform. The staff normally have access to the thermostats. They don't want to be seen sweating, so they are constantly adjusting the thermostat. It's a frequent complaint, but unfortunately in a full capacity restaurant you have both hot and cold natured folks, so sometimes it's hard to please everyone. But as the above statement says, for the most part the waistaff do not realize how cold it is in the front of house, and will be happy to try and remedy the situation if you bring it to their attention. Also, sometimes seating location can make a big difference, whether your under the fans, next to the kitchen, or in Cracker Barrel's case, close to the fire. I've seen the fire so hot in there on a crowded Sunday that noone would sit there.
John Rigler

Rowlett, TX

#19 Apr 29, 2012
I just got back from an IHOP that by policy keeps things at 72 degrees. I told them that I probably would not come back and they just smiled and said sorry. They do not care about the customers the way that you imagine. If it works for fast food, it works at IHOP also.
building engineer wrote:
woolineyes

Beckley, WV

#20 Apr 29, 2012
Frosty wrote:
<quoted text>
That may be true but they have lost a customer. I will never go there again. I understand restaurants keeping it cool in there but it was down right cold in there. IHOP is the same way. I was at IHOP and this gentleman told them to turn the air conditioner back or he would go to Cracker Barrell and eat because they would build a fire over there.
Move to Florida and eat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wh&%es of Beckley 1 hr Bobby Langston 24
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 1 hr _FLATLINE-------- 6,855
crystal meth 2 hr Bobby Langston 3
Emily lawson sophia 3 hr Feathered hair 17
Looking For A Good Gym 4 hr Canada- wondering 4
why do black men prefer white women? (May '14) 4 hr Non Stop Gyrate 963
Four wheeler stole in Beckley (Nov '14) 8 hr Lonnie Jesup 41

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance