First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Go get educated”

Level 5

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1 Sep 23, 2012
Pawnshop owners are truly scumbags that do more to harm innocent people than crack dealers. Read this story:

http://www.ksn.com/content/news/also/story/Co ...

An elderly woman has all her jewelry stolen and then discovers, like all theft victims, that the thieves immediately took the stolen goods to the pawn shop, where the owner, who knows full well that the goods are stolen, agrees to purchase the stolen merchandise from the thieves. The thieves then go steal more stuff from other people and continue bringing things back to the pawnshop, so that eventually the pawnshop becomes the stolen goods fence for the entire organized theft ring of hundreds of burglars and thieves in the whole city.

So what does the very wealthy pawnshop owner do when he is caught with the stolen merchandise from a very poor elderly woman? He tells her to fork over her social security checks for the next two months if she wants to recover it. If grandma can't come up with the money quickly, then she is told that her personal belongings will be sold to someone else or melted down!

We are told the law protects the wealthy scumbag owner when he purchases stolen goods, because "he's a victim". The problem is that the pawnshop owner isn't a victim. He's a willing accomplice in the crime. The only victim is grandma who did absolutely nothing wrong and no longer has her jewelry. The pawnshop owner should be required to do a criminal background check on all customers, hold something in collateral, or delay payment by a few weeks, or just take responsibility for his role in the criminal enterprise. If you're in possession of stolen goods, then that's your own fault. You should have made sure you weren't dealing with criminals to begin with. If I'm found with gold bars that belong to the US Mint, they aren't going to refund the money I spent to purchase them from the thief. Why should the pawnshop owner receive that protection? It only encourages people to steal and gives him immunity for participating actively in the commission of a crime.

A pawn shop owner has no problem dealing with a crack addicted pregnant 18-year-old girl bringing in a stolen cement mixer and giving her $100 for it, knowing full well that it's a stolen good, worth $2000, and that the thief is going to take the money and go buy more drugs and steal more stuff the next day to buy even more drugs.

Pawnshops are the scourge of the Earth and the people that own them are scumbags. They aren't businessmen, they are scavengers, hucksters, and thieves themselves. Pawnshops only bring pain and misery onto every neighborhood they exist.
krazy

Beckley, WV

#2 Sep 24, 2012
Big Shot Bob wrote:
Pawnshop owners are truly scumbags that do more to harm innocent people than crack dealers. Read this story:

An elderly woman has all her jewelry stolen and then discovers, like all theft victims, that the thieves immediately took the stolen goods to the pawn shop, where the owner, who knows full well that the goods are stolen, agrees to purchase the stolen merchandise from the thieves. The thieves then go steal more stuff from other people and continue bringing things back to the pawnshop, so that eventually the pawnshop becomes the stolen goods fence for the entire organized theft ring of hundreds of burglars and thieves in the whole city.

So what does the very wealthy pawnshop owner do when he is caught with the stolen merchandise from a very poor elderly woman? He tells her to fork over her social security checks for the next two months if she wants to recover it. If grandma can't come up with the money quickly, then she is told that her personal belongings will be sold to someone else or melted down!

We are told the law protects the wealthy scumbag owner when he purchases stolen goods, because "he's a victim". The problem is that the pawnshop owner isn't a victim. He's a willing accomplice in the crime. The only victim is grandma who did absolutely nothing wrong and no longer has her jewelry. The pawnshop owner should be required to do a criminal background check on all customers, hold something in collateral, or delay payment by a few weeks, or just take responsibility for his role in the criminal enterprise. If you're in possession of stolen goods, then that's your own fault. You should have made sure you weren't dealing with criminals to begin with. If I'm found with gold bars that belong to the US Mint, they aren't going to refund the money I spent to purchase them from the thief. Why should the pawnshop owner receive that protection? It only encourages people to steal and gives him immunity for participating actively in the commission of a crime.

A pawn shop owner has no problem dealing with a crack addicted pregnant 18-year-old girl bringing in a stolen cement mixer and giving her $100 for it, knowing full well that it's a stolen good, worth $2000, and that the thief is going to take the money and go buy more drugs and steal more stuff the next day to buy even more drugs.

Pawnshops are the scourge of the Earth and the people that own them are scumbags. They aren't businessmen, they are scavengers, hucksters, and thieves themselves. Pawnshops only bring pain and misery onto every neighborhood they exist.
I agree totally! That place over on five corners, well that old hag and her husband need shut down. The place is as nasty as their attitude !
Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Beckley, WV

#3 Sep 24, 2012
and by the Ymca and by the skating rink... All of them are bad except the one across from the old Shoneys they actually treat you like a person.
Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Beckley, WV

#4 Sep 24, 2012
i was told by the one by the YMCA that although my items were well worth the money that was being asked of them it was near the end of the month and folks don't get their checks til the third of the month.... what on earth does that have to do with you pawning a TV and Xbox for me when I have the box and receipt where I purchase both and was only asking 200 dollars for a 60 inch Lcd and Xbox with Kinect for a 30 day loan / pawn.

PAWNSTARS on the History Channel they damn sure ain't
1 post removed
pawner

Beckley, WV

#6 Sep 25, 2012
I am a single mother with two small children. My husband died at an early age from cancer, leaving me with no income, no education, no where to live and no hope. If it were not for pawn shops, my children would go without medicine, without food some months and without needs. I pawn my grandmothers diamond ring and my deceased husbands gun but always retrieve them soon as I catch up. You people who think everyone who enters a pawn shop is scum make me sick. One of the local shops even paid my electric bill for me ,without making me pay it back last winter. Many good people who are just down on their luck pawn. I can asure all of you one thing, a pawn shop owner always demands proper id and if he suspects that stuff is stolen, he calls the police. I have been standing there when one helped the police get a persons jewelry back. Otherwise, they would have never seen it again. A pawn shop is a licensed tax paying business. They operate as honestly as any other business. Who is to say that even Walmart has not been guilty of cashing stolen government checks (they have). Who is to say that any business in Beckley has not accepted dirty money derived from drug sales of theft, for services or goods. A lot of businesses probably do business with the same "scum" that frequents a pawn shop and could care less about where the money comes from. If we are going to preach on pawn shops, then how about the ones that sell tobacco, that kills people everyday, or the ones that sell liquor, that also kills. Even a grocery store probably accepts money derived from drug sales and theft. We are all part of it. Somebody must have got turned down on a pawn to start this thread. Anyone is business is susceptable to dealing with drug addicts and theives. I am neither and I pawn often.
pawner

Beckley, WV

#7 Sep 25, 2012
By the way, when the pawn dealer paid my electric bill, I had already asked several "prominent christian" business owners to make me a loan, all of them refused. I offered to pay the pawn broker back, but she refused and offered me a prayer instead. She made me feel good about business people. Something the "community leaders" didn't have a clue about.

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Beckley, WV

#8 Sep 25, 2012
Pawner YOU ARE AWESOME! I have had good and bad experiences at pawn shops. Just because one person, like the one who started this thread, sees the bad side doesn't mean that everyone will have a bad experience. The pawn shops that are bad, stay away from them and you will have no problem. And yes, every business in Beckley has accepted money obtained from theft or drug deals at some point in time and probably gave that same money to good Christian people as change at some point, completely unknowingly. There are some pawnshops that have horrible owners that really do not care, but you cannot assume that they are all like that just because a few are.
Greater Good

Beckley, WV

#9 Sep 25, 2012
ALL businesses have good and bad owners. Even the "religious business", even the police have good and bad, even charity organizations, even teachers, even in the medical field. To group pawn shop owners all in one group as scum is ignorance. Too many television shows like pawn stars, hard core pawn and others show that pawn shops are just as honest as any other business.
Lots of reputable businesses sell tobaco products and alcohol, or rolling papers for drugs, that are never questioned. They help kill people with tobacco sales and alcohol consumption, and I am sure they deal with the same scum that pawn shops deal with. After all Krogers sells tobacco and Rite Aid sells alcohol, and Little General sells rolling papers. Even something as innocent at a grocery store or clothing store accepts money that might have been made through drug sales or theft. How many times has Walmart been caught cashing stolen government checks? The person that started this thread must have a personal problem with a "walthy" pawnshop owner or lost an item in pawn because he didn't redeem the pawn on time. The self righteous will never enter heaven.
talk about scum

Beckley, WV

#10 Sep 25, 2012
Hell, my eye doctor got jailed for cocaine, my doctor operated on the wrong leg because he was hung over and charged me an enormous bill, my dentist did such cheesy work that it all had to be done over, then billed me double the amount other dentists charge. I later find out the doctor went to jail for selling pills, and the dentist passes out dental cocaine like candy to the ladies. My drug store, where I puchase things for my health sells cigerettes and other tobacco, and my grocery store got in trouble for buying food stamps, and cashing stolen government checks.. Yeah, pawn shops are the worst scum on earth. Get real people, there are so many other wrongs to harp on. Someone has it in for a pawn broker that probably makes more money than he does. Period.
Ignorance aint bliss

Beckley, WV

#11 Sep 25, 2012
Big Shot Bob wrote:
The old saying is "Ignorance is bliss" is befitting for you. You may be educated, but you are still very ignorant. Much rather be uneducated than plain ole ignorant. I can always get more education, but you will die with a small, closed mind.
Terrance

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Sep 25, 2012
Big Shot Bob wrote:
My theory! If you see an Old lady getting on the bus and there is one seat left knock her down and get that seat. If you don't the guy behind you will.
ignorance aint bliss

Beckley, WV

#13 Sep 25, 2012
I could pull up thousands of articles about doctors being arrested for selling perscriptions, nurses being arrested for killing patients, dentists being arrested for rape or drugs, cops being charged with selling drugs and misconduct, clergy being charged with sexual crimes, preachers being arrested for child molestation, business men being arrested for tax evasion, store owners being arrested for selling alcohol to minors, or politicians being arrested for murder, which shows their is scum in every profession. Licensed pawn shops are as honest as any other business. There is good and bad in every job. To single out the "wealthy pawnshop owner" is totally ridiculous.
bubberbandman

Oak Hill, WV

#14 Sep 25, 2012
the one store mentioned here near the ymca is called beckley pawn , they usualy have 2 or 3 cops hanging out there eating lunch , dont think that they fall in this so called bad category , i was there last week and i heard the guy that works ther saying , we report everything we take in to beckley city police , and the police confirmed that , made me feel good about shopping there !!!!
bubberbandman

Oak Hill, WV

#15 Sep 25, 2012
just found out , beckley pawn reports everything they take in with a program called , leads on line , it all goes to beckley police department by computer
Canada wondering

United States

#16 Sep 25, 2012
Good to see they do that!

Level 1

Since: Sep 12

Beckley, WV

#17 Sep 25, 2012
bubberbandman wrote:
the one store mentioned here near the ymca is called beckley pawn , they usualy have 2 or 3 cops hanging out there eating lunch , dont think that they fall in this so called bad category , i was there last week and i heard the guy that works ther saying , we report everything we take in to beckley city police , and the police confirmed that , made me feel good about shopping there !!!!
I have pawned there before. The guys are nice, but firm. They are in business and that's how they have to be. If you have a piece of junk they will tell you. Got a good price for my laptop when I had some bills to pay so can't be upset bout that. Al's swap n pawn on the other hand; I have never had a good experience there. Just me personally though. I'm not calling them bad, but I don't shop there any more. Problem solved.
TFSH

Beckley, WV

#18 Sep 25, 2012
If you people were educated enough, you'd realize that all pawn shops within city limits are required by law to report all pawns to the police department. Beckley Pawn and Gun by the YMCA-those guys are the most honest guys to deal with. They give it to you straight. If you can't handle the truth, then that's your problem. And Jaymae, If they didn't pawn a tv or xbox for you, maybe they have too many in pawn and have too many for sale and are falling over them and just don't have the room for them or can loan out a certain amount of money that day. If you had the receipts and the items were brand new, you could've taken the items back to the store and gotten your money back. Did you ever think of that? These guys have been in business for over 20 years. They know what they are doing. They know the bad guys and the good guys. They can tell when your on drugs and trying to get your quick dollar to get your quick fix instead of taking care of your bills and kids. Remember, all business have their pros and cons. Don't be so quick to judge.
TFSH

Beckley, WV

#19 Sep 25, 2012
bubberbandman wrote:
just found out , beckley pawn reports everything they take in with a program called , leads on line , it all goes to beckley police department by computer
Yes they do! They are very OCD and cautious when operating their business the correct way.
TFSH

Beckley, WV

#20 Sep 25, 2012
ignorance aint bliss wrote:
I could pull up thousands of articles about doctors being arrested for selling perscriptions, nurses being arrested for killing patients, dentists being arrested for rape or drugs, cops being charged with selling drugs and misconduct, clergy being charged with sexual crimes, preachers being arrested for child molestation, business men being arrested for tax evasion, store owners being arrested for selling alcohol to minors, or politicians being arrested for murder, which shows their is scum in every profession. Licensed pawn shops are as honest as any other business. There is good and bad in every job. To single out the "wealthy pawnshop owner" is totally ridiculous.
Well said
Jaymae

Beckley, WV

#21 Oct 1, 2012
TFSH wrote:
If you people were educated enough, you'd realize that all pawn shops within city limits are required by law to report all pawns to the police department. Beckley Pawn and Gun by the YMCA-those guys are the most honest guys to deal with. They give it to you straight. If you can't handle the truth, then that's your problem. And Jaymae, If they didn't pawn a tv or xbox for you, maybe they have too many in pawn and have too many for sale and are falling over them and just don't have the room for them or can loan out a certain amount of money that day. If you had the receipts and the items were brand new, you could've taken the items back to the store and gotten your money back. Did you ever think of that? These guys have been in business for over 20 years. They know what they are doing. They know the bad guys and the good guys. They can tell when your on drugs and trying to get your quick dollar to get your quick fix instead of taking care of your bills and kids. Remember, all business have their pros and cons. Don't be so quick to judge.
They were not new the TV was about 7 months old and the x box was about 9 months old. I just still had the boxes and receipts because I keep up with my SHIT. However if they said we have lots of inventory etc. i would have understood my "tipping Point" was the description that it wasnt the first of the month so they couldnt do pawns... ARE THEY ON GOVERNMENT ASSITANCE ??? WHY DO THEY HAVE TO WAIT TIL THE FIRST OF THE MONTH TO DO BUSINESS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wh&%es of Beckley 2 hr Redline 13
Let the bankrupting begin! 2 hr Porch Honkey the ... 2
Holiday guest 2 hr Overdone 14
Emily lawson sophia 3 hr Big ol 12
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 5 hr Jon_B 6,854
Beckley VA Hospital - CHIEF OF STAFF 6 hr Pit Bull 34
natalie and jack 6 hr Samantha 124

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance