Arch Coal (ICG) has fallen off

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
delt

Beckley, WV

#1 Nov 8, 2012
Since Arch bought ICG over a year ago, the Beckley Mine, I know for sure has went to hell. They worry more about gum wrappers laying on the ground and ICG patches on your uniforms than running coal. 300 violations to date this year, over 1.1 Million in fines have been paid. The also received their first "D" order only weeks after firing all of their higher management that ran the company for almost six years without 1 "D" order. This mine is doomed unless something drastic happens to pull the reigns back on this Nazi like atmosphere that Arch has created. The safety summit was an ass chewing in disguise. Keith Goings, stood in front of each class, and beat his fist into the podium thinking it would drive his point home only to reassure everyone's opinion that he's a complete ass. I look for it to happen soon, but if a union card was laid in front of me I can't say I wouldn't sign it. They have us by the balls and as long as Obama can keep shutting them down, Arch can make us do whatever they want and when we go to buck, they're going to hold our jobs over our head. I know I'm not alone but I'd like to hear others who work there voice their opinion, they already tell us what we can and can't wear, they can't tell us what to say on our own time(but I imagine they'll try).
Pro Coal

Summersville, WV

#2 Nov 8, 2012
delt wrote:
Since Arch bought ICG over a year ago, the Beckley Mine, I know for sure has went to hell. They worry more about gum wrappers laying on the ground and ICG patches on your uniforms than running coal. 300 violations to date this year, over 1.1 Million in fines have been paid. The also received their first "D" order only weeks after firing all of their higher management that ran the company for almost six years without 1 "D" order. This mine is doomed unless something drastic happens to pull the reigns back on this Nazi like atmosphere that Arch has created. The safety summit was an ass chewing in disguise. Keith Goings, stood in front of each class, and beat his fist into the podium thinking it would drive his point home only to reassure everyone's opinion that he's a complete ass. I look for it to happen soon, but if a union card was laid in front of me I can't say I wouldn't sign it. They have us by the balls and as long as Obama can keep shutting them down, Arch can make us do whatever they want and when we go to buck, they're going to hold our jobs over our head. I know I'm not alone but I'd like to hear others who work there voice their opinion, they already tell us what we can and can't wear, they can't tell us what to say on our own time(but I imagine they'll try).
I dont work for Arch But I do work for Patriot, and use to work for Massey.
I am not union and have never been but it's going to come down to where if these company's finally succeed in dispursing the "UMWA" a job in mining wont be worth having, If there is any after Obama and the EPA gets done with it.
It will be like it was years ago when they treated people like dirt and payed with script.
When times are good they love ya and give you the whole wide world but as soon as coal starts going down sombody is going off the f@ckin hill.
Jim

New York, NY

#3 Nov 8, 2012
With the way the economy is these coal companies are able to take advantage on their employees 10x more than they already do. Get UMWA in arch Beckley as soon as ya can guys.. Gotta get some sort of leverage on these out of control pricks.
Pro Coal

Summersville, WV

#4 Nov 8, 2012
Jim wrote:
With the way the economy is these coal companies are able to take advantage on their employees 10x more than they already do. Get UMWA in arch Beckley as soon as ya can guys.. Gotta get some sort of leverage on these out of control pricks.
Bad thing is when things get lean like they are right now these companies just shut operations down like they did at cantanary a couple years ago. The company's got all the money and miners are just a number.
Arch Employee

United States

#5 Nov 8, 2012
Pro Coal wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont work for Arch But I do work for Patriot, and use to work for Massey.
I am not union and have never been but it's going to come down to where if these company's finally succeed in dispursing the "UMWA" a job in mining wont be worth having, If there is any after Obama and the EPA gets done with it.
It will be like it was years ago when they treated people like dirt and payed with script.
When times are good they love ya and give you the whole wide world but as soon as coal starts going down sombody is going off the f@ckin hill.
I was greatly disappointed in Joe Tussey announcing that no one could wear any clothing or stickers that had ICG on them. In the memo that stated, No more ICG stickers or clothing would be allowed, he said Arch had made very few changes...lets talk about some of the changes first of all we now pay for our insurance. Second, our insurance sucks! We dont have enough money to give the employees the retention bonus that we have already earned. But we do have enough money to shut the coal mines down for a day for the Safety Summit. We also have enough money to by STUPID leg bands and not run any coal because they fire and suspend everyone and do not hire any one to take their place. I have never worked at a union operation however, I have been hearing alot of talk in the last two weeks about possibly contacting the UMWA. Atleast then we will get good insurance. The fact is Arch Coal is not half the company ICG was!!
Sincerly,

A disappointed employee
Coal miner

New York, NY

#6 Nov 8, 2012
I know exactly what your sayin. When union go under, workers rights go out the window. I understand too that unless need to be tere but something like the clothes you wear is stupid. Management wants to look like tuff guys but they're just as disposable as the hourlies. They sol 160K tons in October but said times were too hard to pay us a retention bonus. There's not one person in that office that will fight for the men. They'd rather climb the latter as yes men than go down with some dignity.
Wonder

Dunbar, WV

#7 Nov 8, 2012
Who is management there? super intendent and foreman?
wolfcry

Charleston, WV

#8 Nov 8, 2012
Retention Bonus: by definition, to keep you from seeking alternative mines to work, where you gonna go? Then go, less fussing about still having a job might be the mature post, bitchcake!
Coal miner wrote:
I know exactly what your sayin. When union go under, workers rights go out the window. I understand too that unless need to be tere but something like the clothes you wear is stupid. Management wants to look like tuff guys but they're just as disposable as the hourlies. They sol 160K tons in October but said times were too hard to pay us a retention bonus. There's not one person in that office that will fight for the men. They'd rather climb the latter as yes men than go down with some dignity.
Miners wife

Beckley, WV

#9 Nov 8, 2012
My husband has worked in the mines for nearly 17 years, & many of those were spent with Massey. We thought we'd seen the worst the coal industry had to offer as far as a company's treatment of its employees- we were wrong! He's been there almost since that mine opened. We didn't appreciate ICG enough cause as soon as Arch bought em things have been going downhill fast. The insurance has gotten worse. & more expensive. The bonuses have been cut. The company makes no effort to honor their commitments to their men. I've never seen my husband so unhappy at a workplace in all these years. I'd say employee morale has been beaten to an all time low. These brand new bosses are apparently incompetent, & spend their time harassing the men about their shirt emblems and dirty boots rather than working in safety or production. Good hard working experienced drug free miners are hard to find. My husband is one. And he's already looking elsewhere for work. Hope the bosses enjoy their skeleton crews too cause he ain't alone.
Wvlovesourminers

United States

#10 Nov 8, 2012
Miners wife you couldnt have said it any better my husband works there too and is very unhappy and from what i have heard umwa has already been called just a matter of time before things change down there and while they can tell my husband he cannot wear his icg clothing anymore even when they are not working is just bullshit i have news for them my husband wont wear them i will and i dare any of them to say anything to me because i will put them right in the place they belong! Arch you suck and we miss icg at least icg treated their employees with respect and they werent just a number!
Wvlovesourminers

United States

#11 Nov 8, 2012
And at the rate arch is going obama is not going to get the chance to close the mine down arch is doing an awesome job at running it in the ground it will be closed in no time my 2year old.could run the company better lol
cobalt mines

Charleston, WV

#12 Nov 8, 2012
Wednesday Cobalt mines voted to unionize. The mines is in Mcdowell county.
wolfcry

Beckley, WV

#13 Nov 9, 2012
And now it's the wives. Ask your husbands ladies, this IS all a mine card gets a drug-free, dependable, clean-heart man today. Our coal is still necessary for very few products: true #1 steel and.... Simple Fact: Coal mining as a predominant industry is over, EVERYWHERE. Before you start prodding your breadwinner mates to mine elsewhere, keep in mind wherever they are, seniority will man the few mines that survive.

Craziest Thing: Obama's paying billions to put housewives in school. Be a nurse in 18 months, you will make more, be safe, travel less, and come home clean. And probably STILL have time to post, on the clock.
Hey wolfcry

Huntington, WV

#14 Nov 9, 2012
wolfcry wrote:
And now it's the wives. Ask your husbands ladies, this IS all a mine card gets a drug-free, dependable, clean-heart man today. Our coal is still necessary for very few products: true #1 steel and.... Simple Fact: Coal mining as a predominant industry is over, EVERYWHERE. Before you start prodding your breadwinner mates to mine elsewhere, keep in mind wherever they are, seniority will man the few mines that survive.
Craziest Thing: Obama's paying billions to put housewives in school. Be a nurse in 18 months, you will make more, be safe, travel less, and come home clean. And probably STILL have time to post, on the clock.
Sombody forgot to tell you about Obama care and the cuts that will take place in the medical field so maybe if you hurry up you might get on part time at gomart or sell some t-shirts to rafters.
You must be the Stupid Bitch that almost let me lay there and die after my surgery while you was on the f@uckin computer most off the night.
Learn to shut the curtain all the way next time.
And dont worry I'M NOT DONE with you yet.
Hey wolfcry

Huntington, WV

#15 Nov 9, 2012
wolfcry wrote:
WHY IS IT YOU have to come on a sight where the majority are miners and their wives talking about a particular mine.
What are you jealous because your man aint able to get a good paying job because he has a criminal record and/or is a pill head that can't pass a drug test? Is it you cant get a man to take care of you like these coal miners wives, or is it your ex coal mining man left you for being the trouble making b!tch you are?
You talk just like alot of people in the world today, YOUR A MISERABLE PERSON and You want everybody else to that way too.
Get a life and quite steeling your employers money by laying on the computer or phone chit chating when you are on the clock.
Apparently they are overstaffed and may need to trim the fat but dont worry they will soon.
Obama will see to that.
Miners wife

Danielson, CT

#16 Nov 9, 2012
wolfcry wrote:
Hey buddy I appreciate the advice, but I already have a couple bachelors degrees under my belt. Not that I'm against continuing education, but it's totally irrelevant to the working conditions the men at this particular mine are under.
A short while ago, under ICG & under different management, they were treated fairly & with dignity. That's no longer the case. Now you have grown men throwing tirades & chasing other grown men with a broom for having dirty boots. I think Mr. K up there should go take a CNA class, as per your advice. He's better suited to a hospital with a sterile environment than a coal mine seeing as how coal duat in boots upsets him so. He'd probably be a lot more successful at wiping asses than running a mine anyway.I can't imagine him being worse at anything.
And with that said, I'm going to bow out of this conversation because I think it's best left to the employees to discuss what to do here.
lol

Beckley, WV

#17 Nov 9, 2012
Stupid people
another unhappy employee

United States

#18 Nov 9, 2012
I am an employee at arch I have been there for 3years, and I can say that when jamie, Tommy and shad were running that mine under the ICG banner people were happier we ran much more coal, we didn't get "d" orders and our insurance was better. Oh yeh we also got bonuses, I understand focusing on saftey and cutting costs in this economy but we are there to run coal that's our job and they don't give a shit about running coal they are to focused on leg bands and our boots being dirty!! Come on now we are coal miners they need to stop acting like jealous protective girlfriends or we will be all looking for jobs cause if u do the math we can't continue to operate the way we have been
Peg

Danielson, CT

#19 Nov 9, 2012
I work at a mine in Wyoming County, & we heard about some of the changes going on there at Arch in Beckley. Don't sound like it anywhere I'd wanna be. Let me show up run coal and follow the rules. Other than that keep your bitchin to yourself I got a woman at home to do that for me.
Miner

Huntington, WV

#20 Nov 9, 2012
Peg wrote:
I work at a mine in Wyoming County, & we heard about some of the changes going on there at Arch in Beckley. Don't sound like it anywhere I'd wanna be. Let me show up run coal and follow the rules. Other than that keep your bitchin to yourself I got a woman at home to do that for me.
This must be 1 of the company guys acting like another smartass miner from somwhere else. "YOUR FUNNY"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John dunlap 19 min K_Flanagan 1
rachel simmons losing 5 kids 4 are in foster ca... 1 hr old fart 7
why do black men prefer white women? (May '14) 1 hr Lauren 433
Entertainment For Posters. 4 hr DIRTY ROTTEN OLD MAN 23
Quickbooks training 5 hr Trainee 1
Wild game recipes 5 hr Missy 3
Where can I buy Coke products in the aluminum b... 6 hr Dr Pepper 1
Beckley Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web