Comments
41 - 60 of 84 Comments Last updated Feb 22, 2013

Since: May 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#44
Dec 22, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Lesson Learned wrote:
<quoted text>
But we are already cutting funds for food and health care for the poor. How are we going to afford putting armed guards into schools? Are we going to starve kids or deny them health care only to send them to school where they MAY be safe from a mad shooter?
Tax money from gun sales:) OR figure out the average money given to politicians on both sides of the aisle by gun companies and organizations, over a certain period of time, and pass a bill that money has to be diverted to paying for armed guards, bullet proof doors and windown, etc.
Sam Slick

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#45
Dec 22, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Take the money used for free cell phones and free Viagra from people on welfare and use it to pay for school security.
2 posts removed

Level 6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#48
Dec 22, 2012
 
Dunadd, the reason for no invasion is that Hitler knew that all of the male citizens at the age of 20 were armed with a military rifle.
benchpress

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#49
Dec 22, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I had a friend bring up something today at the dinner table that made me stop and think.... something to ponder, it doesn't seem to be a bad idea. It has to do with the NRA's suggestion of an armed police officer. Would parents be willing to fund $100-$200/year for the peace of mind that their child is safe at school? I would personally. Maybe we should consider this when discussions come up regarding armed guards in schools. I am sure there would still be many things to consider, but as I initially heard this suggestion, I as a parent thought it sounded good. I would be more at ease knowing a policeman or private security was working at the school when compared to a certain type of gun being unavailable legally. Of course, then we have the problem of, "I can't afford this, is there a program available to fund it for me." But... I still thought it was an idea that I hadn't heard come up yet.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#50
Dec 22, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

2

There would, in fact, be some parents who couldn't afford another $200 a year. If they do this it should be funded as other education expenses are funded where everyone, whether they have children or not, would help pay for it.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#51
Dec 23, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I don't know if I didn't know this before or it's been lost somewhere in my memory but there were armed guards at Columbine in 1999 but it didn't stop 15 people from being killed or 23 more from being wounded. So much for that bright idea.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/colu...

Other countries have mentally ill people and violent video games and movies but they have no where near the violence, especially mass murders, as we do. So I've circled back around to my first opinion that it is the availability of guns that is the problem here.

And after seeing Wayne Lapierre twice in three days, I think he is a nutcase. I'm surprised he's allowed to have guns.
responsible gun owner

Craigsville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#52
Dec 23, 2012
 
hey great grandma, why don't you give your clueless brain a break and go make some cookies!
Still_Angel

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#53
Dec 23, 2012
 
WWHS has a cop or two there as the kids go into school in the mornings. i dont know how long they stay but they are there everyday. I don't think any teacher should be armed with guns because we dont know how mentally stable They are--anything could happen to change that stability.
responsible gun owner

Craigsville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#54
Dec 23, 2012
 
Still_Angel wrote:
WWHS has a cop or two there as the kids go into school in the mornings. i dont know how long they stay but they are there everyday. I don't think any teacher should be armed with guns because we dont know how mentally stable They are--anything could happen to change that stability.
Does that go for cops, security, armed forces, or anyone? What is the difference? Please explain?

Since: Jun 10

Topix

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#55
Dec 23, 2012
 
As far as teachers go, I really think that more extensive, and ongoing, background checks should be mandatory. Before my brother retired from teaching last year, one of the others where he'd worked had stopped taking his medication and thought that his own cell phone had become a bomb. That was a very disruptive day, but only one of many disturbing accounts that he used to regularly tell me about concerning the instabilities of some of our children's educators.
Still_Angel

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#56
Dec 24, 2012
 
responsible gun owner wrote:
<quoted text>Does that go for cops, security, armed forces, or anyone? What is the difference? Please explain?
What am I explaining? I am not a pro-gun advocate so it would be easy for me to say NO ONE should have them, stop production. but in reality, No, I don't think teachers should have guns. Yes, anyone could be mentally unstable. Cops and armed forces personnel are trained for such things and you can only pray they would not Snap and become the enemy, but I think armed forces are a bit much on a regular basis. I thought security guards only had flashlights.

Since: Nov 12

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#57
Dec 24, 2012
 
Same thing here, Suppose to have TWO armed POLICE, with their DRUG Dogs.......Lock-Down ....
benchpress

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#58
Dec 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

I have travelled extensively when I was younger, spending 3 years in Europe. In germany, which personally is the most progessive country I have seen, there is an armed presence practically evrywhere you go. Hospitals, airports, schools, even the churches. France has very similiar practices, as do many other countries. Although I am not sure this is the solution, I think the public's reaction of "aghast" over the suggestionof armed guards is a knee jerk reaction to change, as is the notion of restrictions / limitations on certain gun rights. We can all agree I think that our society is broken morally to a certain degree. Until we can accept the fact that there are going to have to be numerous changes made, regardless of which side of the fence you stand, we will continue to have this problem. We have tried to hold onto "the American way" too long, without changing the way we live. Unfortunately, as with a bad apple, a few can spoil it all for us. I am a gun owner, several, in fact, but I accept we will have to change a few things. However, the other side of the fence must also realize that deeper changes must also be made to how our society currently exists. This is simply an extension of the political division we saw at the elections and the resulting rift in our country. We are divided. There will be no solution that will stop the problem until we as a nation find common ground. We are quickly being left behind in this world on so many fronts - medicine, economy, production, education.... Many changes will have to be made to our society, inherently change is hard for us all.
Uncle Sam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#59
Dec 24, 2012
 
benchpress wrote:
I have travelled extensively when I was younger, spending 3 years in Europe. In germany, which personally is the most progessive country I have seen, there is an armed presence practically evrywhere you go. Hospitals, airports, schools, even the churches. France has very similiar practices, as do many other countries. Although I am not sure this is the solution, I think the public's reaction of "aghast" over the suggestionof armed guards is a knee jerk reaction to change, as is the notion of restrictions / limitations on certain gun rights. We can all agree I think that our society is broken morally to a certain degree. Until we can accept the fact that there are going to have to be numerous changes made, regardless of which side of the fence you stand, we will continue to have this problem. We have tried to hold onto "the American way" too long, without changing the way we live. Unfortunately, as with a bad apple, a few can spoil it all for us. I am a gun owner, several, in fact, but I accept we will have to change a few things. However, the other side of the fence must also realize that deeper changes must also be made to how our society currently exists. This is simply an extension of the political division we saw at the elections and the resulting rift in our country. We are divided. There will be no solution that will stop the problem until we as a nation find common ground. We are quickly being left behind in this world on so many fronts - medicine, economy, production, education.... Many changes will have to be made to our society, inherently change is hard for us all.
i agree. liberals are just as bad as the right wingers clinging to their guns. they are both arguing points that will nite solve the problem . its a much bigger problem than either side is willing to admit. one thing is not going to solve it.our society is messed up

Since: Nov 12

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#60
Dec 24, 2012
 

Judged:

2

Boy thats the TRUTH
justthefacts

Lubbock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#61
Dec 24, 2012
 
Lesson Learned wrote:
I don't know if I didn't know this before or it's been lost somewhere in my memory but there were armed guards at Columbine in 1999 but it didn't stop 15 people from being killed or 23 more from being wounded. So much for that bright idea.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/colu...
Other countries have mentally ill people and violent video games and movies but they have no where near the violence, especially mass murders, as we do. So I've circled back around to my first opinion that it is the availability of guns that is the problem here.
And after seeing Wayne Lapierre twice in three days, I think he is a nutcase. I'm surprised he's allowed to have guns.
http://www.ithp.org/articles/violentvideogame...

The "bright idea" as you coined it makes more sense than not addressing the underlying problems and just going after guns. Why are liberals not calling for video game violence reviews? Here's another one for you... You are all for abortions.... the "right" of women to make that choice, even though half the country thinks it is wrong. Why is your stance on guns any different? Many think it is our "right" to have whatever gun we want. Restrictions are already in place. You can't buy auotmatic weapons. You can't own a firearm if you are a felon. Liberals seem to be real progressive until it comes to anything they disagree with, and then all of a sudden they are just as stuck in the mud on an issue as they say the GOP is.
Still_Angel

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Dec 24, 2012
 
People always turn every issue into a Liberal/ conservative, democratic/republican thing when it is simply an AmeRicaN issue. A problem disturbing everyone not a platform for the blame game or "I'm better than you, mine is bigger than yours" face off. Then there is abortion. Ok, some agree and some dont. Those that agree dont necessarily agree with the ACT of abortion, but we agree with the RIGHT to engage in that procedure if that is what You Choose. If people were not in their business, they most likely wouldn't know that someone was having an abortion because, again, it is between her and her physician. Guns, however, make their own way to the public eye because someone is always getting killed by one, someone gets robbed by someone with one, some hunter accidentally shoots his friend with one, children accidentally kill their friend with one they have found in the house, or someone kills them self with one. So yeah, it is a tad bit different of an issue to be against or for. And I am not pleased with most of the video games with all the violence and language and sex, well commercials too as far as that goes. But if no one says anything, it will just continue to be. Yes, our society is messed up and to me it is not because of a Left or a Right, but because of a lack of faith. People don't believe in God or not sure if they believe in God, or believe in something/someone whose name isn't God. We want to play on that dark side and think everything is going to be okay. Without God, we will never come to an agreement or peaceful solution. There will ways be turmoil of some sort, but with God you make it through. You don't forget, hopefully learn, but your faith is unharmed and most likely stronger. Dont think you are walking around here getting through things on your own because whether you believe or not He is always there for you, He never gives up on US. But some of US feel if they can't SEE him, He is not there, some feel if it isn't written in the history books or no snapshots in a photo album, it didnt happen. We need to get in touch.:)---MY view

Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a blessed and prosperous New Year!!!:)
justthefacts

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Dec 24, 2012
 
Still_Angel wrote:
People always turn every issue into a Liberal/ conservative, democratic/republican thing when it is simply an AmeRicaN issue. A problem disturbing everyone not a platform for the blame game or "I'm better than you, mine is bigger than yours" face off. Then there is abortion. Ok, some agree and some dont. Those that agree dont necessarily agree with the ACT of abortion, but we agree with the RIGHT to engage in that procedure if that is what You Choose. If people were not in their business, they most likely wouldn't know that someone was having an abortion because, again, it is between her and her physician. Guns, however, make their own way to the public eye because someone is always getting killed by one, someone gets robbed by someone with one, some hunter accidentally shoots his friend with one, children accidentally kill their friend with one they have found in the house, or someone kills them self with one. So yeah, it is a tad bit different of an issue to be against or for. And I am not pleased with most of the video games with all the violence and language and sex, well commercials too as far as that goes. But if no one says anything, it will just continue to be. Yes, our society is messed up and to me it is not because of a Left or a Right, but because of a lack of faith. People don't believe in God or not sure if they believe in God, or believe in something/someone whose name isn't God. We want to play on that dark side and think everything is going to be okay. Without God, we will never come to an agreement or peaceful solution. There will ways be turmoil of some sort, but with God you make it through. You don't forget, hopefully learn, but your faith is unharmed and most likely stronger. Dont think you are walking around here getting through things on your own because whether you believe or not He is always there for you, He never gives up on US. But some of US feel if they can't SEE him, He is not there, some feel if it isn't written in the history books or no snapshots in a photo album, it didnt happen. We need to get in touch.:)---MY view
Everyone have a Merry Christmas and a blessed and prosperous New Year!!!:)
Good points. Let's approach from a different angle. What about Cigarettes? I am a health nut. I disagree with people who smoke. Not because I am trying to impose my opinion or because I am effected by their own choices that they do to their body, but what about the unborn child that is born into the world with lung problems becasue their mother decided she wanted to smoke during pregnancy? Or because of the secondhand smoke, which exposure to causes an estimated 3,400 lung cancer deaths annually among adult nonsmokers and causes an estimated 46,000 heart disease deaths annually among adult nonsmokers in the United States according to the cdc. It is a person's right to smoke? What is different here? We could also go down the route of alcohol, we all know the deaths associated to alcohol related to drunk driving. But it's their right? I wonder how many people wanting guns to be banned smoke or drink? Seems very similar. I own guns. ok, an assault rifle as well. So I'm biased in my opinion. But isn't everybody? My point is banning a gun because someone has used it to kill is like banning cigs or booze because of what they do to people other than the users. I feel it's just as much my right to own a gun with large magazines. I'm not plotting to do anything with it, I enjoy shooting it in the woods. Do I need it? No. But do any of us actually need anything other than air, water, the sun and food? Gun owner responsibility of keeping them locked up should be just as sufficient as the smoker who says "I don't smoke around other people or when I'm pregnant and the boozer who says "I don't drive when drinking". Lots of things in our world kill. The person should be punished who is guilty, not the responsible people who are the vast majority.
justhefacts

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Dec 24, 2012
 
Sorry Angel, that wasn't meant to be a reply to you other than the "good points" lol.

I was actually directing it towards another poster on this thread that seems very aggressive in their stance against guns and how it's not my right to have one..... I wonder if they smoke or drink?
thewayitis

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Dec 24, 2012
 
This happened at a school but a good thing his mother was not a sunday school teacher! Will LaPierre arm our preachers too. He wants to be called crazy so Wayne LaPierre you're crazy. If they know schools are gun free won't they know the churches will be also?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

93 Users are viewing the Beckley Forum right now

Search the Beckley Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 4 min bacon hater 54,231
rUsSiA 23 min cgi_46 724
Kroger -- the big hypocrite 43 min Kroger Exposed 1
Regional jail inmate dies after altercation 44 min kkb. 54
realtors 1 hr upeopleneedtogetalife 28
rachel simmons in beckley 1 hr bring it your mother 5
Sears at Crossroads closing ? 1 hr sistersalvation 15
Red lobster 7 hr r u redneck rich 25
WTNJ Makes False Claim About One Hundred Five T... 14 hr Jealous 35
beckley Police Dept 22 hr Invisible 88
•••
•••
•••
Beckley Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Beckley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Beckley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beckley
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••