Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Holyxxxx aka hope

Beaver, WV

#1 Dec 19, 2012
Thoughts?
A taser likely would have lessoned the recent tragedy.
there is a wide array of non lethal rounds that could be employed in a school setting as a short term solution to the problem of mass shootings in schools.....
dad

Beckley, WV

#2 Dec 20, 2012
No taser, we need guards armed with guns and/or arm our teachers.

“look up and laugh”

Level 9

Since: Jun 08

guess, where

#3 Dec 20, 2012
lock the doors after school classes start and lock each individual classroom door so the srudents can get out but no one can get in. Each classroom should have an emergency exit to get outside AND a bullet proof saferoom they can go in and lock.
Taser

Charleston, WV

#4 Dec 20, 2012
How exactley would a taser lessoned the tragedy?
Non lethal Vs. someone with lethal,not smart.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#5 Dec 20, 2012
jdmdusa wrote:
lock the doors after school classes start and lock each individual classroom door so the srudents can get out but no one can get in. Each classroom should have an emergency exit to get outside AND a bullet proof saferoom they can go in and lock.
Don't they do that now?...Except for possibly the bullet proof room..

Didn't this guy shoot his way in through the door?...

Look at your local schools now.. How many have great big classroom windowns right on the ground floor?...a kid with a pea shooter could get in some of them.

How about a chain link fence around the place and someone to monitor it to check for ID's and strange characters.

Whatever, your point is well taken...we need to beef up everything in these schools .. what ever it takes.
Holyxxxx aka hope

Winesburg, OH

#6 Dec 20, 2012
I would rather beef up security then just blindly passing new laws.....

...police in england for the most part are not armed with leathal weapons. Point being that I'm not sure the best answer is arming school personnel with lethal weaponry, the potential for.accident is high. Im willing to consider it under certain circumstance if the right conditions are met.
Holyxxxx aka hope

Winesburg, OH

#7 Dec 20, 2012
.....at what point would school resemble a prison? It sucks greatly that we as a culture to the point where its nessessary that our children be raised in duch an enviroment

Location hidden

#8 Dec 20, 2012
Holyxxxx aka hope wrote:
...police in england for the most part are not armed with leathal weapons. Point being that I'm not sure the best answer is arming school personnel with lethal weaponry, the potential for.accident is high. Im willing to consider it under certain circumstance if the right conditions are met.
I heard the accident argument a few times on the television talk shows...Yes, there is that POSSIBILITY...That is why a few should be trained and know how to handle firearms...
One side of the coin, what are the odds for all of these accidents...Let's just say one person accidently gets shot, in the scheme of things would that be a chance to take instead of letting TWENTY get shot?

Another point:...semi automatic pistol...depending on model of course you could have 7 to 15 rounds in a magazine...DON'T PUT ONE IN THE PIPE until a threat becomes apparent...IF you even drop it or throw it out the window it won't go off, since NONE of the bullets would be IN the barrel.
Make sure the safety is set, and some models even can be locked with a key until needed.
Others without an external safety have DE COCKERS to keep it from going off accidentally... Unless, someone is a total moron, these guns would be SAFE.
thewayitis

Beckley, WV

#9 Dec 20, 2012
Holyxxxx aka hope wrote:
Thoughts?
A taser likely would have lessoned the recent tragedy.
there is a wide array of non lethal rounds that could be employed in a school setting as a short term solution to the problem of mass shootings in schools.....
I hope you're joking. Why don't they use tasers in the war zone if this works.
Holyxxxx aka hope

Winesburg, OH

#10 Dec 20, 2012
My fear is crazy kid obtaining lethal fire power from teache.....

What are the odds? I don't know but it bears discussion, im not dead against it merely hashing out pros and cons.....
Obama Clooney 2016

Pineville, WV

#11 Dec 20, 2012
Holyxxxx aka hope wrote:
You hit the nail on the head!

Everybody thinks just because you take a class in gun defense, you are automatically ready to take on the bad guys in crisis situation. Most people would freeze up if they saw a gunman coming in a school and had a consealed weapon on their person. And like I said before, many would likely shoot their own foot or even kill a student. Lets keep the teaching to the teachers and the shooting to the cops.
thewayitis

Beckley, WV

#12 Dec 20, 2012
Is the NRA going to help buy the bulletproof backpacks for these kids since they are all for this screwedup mess?
thewayitis

Beckley, WV

#13 Dec 20, 2012
Holyxxxx aka hope wrote:
What are the odds? I don't know but it bears discussion, im not dead against it merely hashing out pros and cons.....
Yes some of these kids are 4 times as big as a teacher. A large number are women. They didn't want to be a policeman, just a teacher.
Obama Clooney 2016

Pineville, WV

#14 Dec 20, 2012
Holyxxxx aka hope wrote:
You are exactly right!! Never thought of that one.

I could see this in the headline, "Careless teacher leaves gun on desk, student grabs gun and kills 3 classmates" or "Missing firearms among teachers a normality these days".

I appreciate your input.

:)
Obama Clooney 2016

Pineville, WV

#15 Dec 20, 2012
thewayitis wrote:
Is the NRA going to help buy the bulletproof backpacks for these kids since they are all for this screwedup mess?
I don't know about that, but I do know that after you sign up, they send you a mug that is made in China.

Location hidden

#16 Dec 20, 2012
Holyxxxx aka hope wrote:
Agreed we SHOULD discuss everything, and that possibility exists also, but why do the students need to know which one's are armed and which one's aren't?
Comment was also made by I "think" it was by the Illinois State School Superintendent about teachers carrying arms would have a "fearful" on the students?...I mean BS..give me a break with that type of comment...Again, they are taking the position that ALL teacher's would be armed and they automatically assume the very thought of a teacher with a gun would cause trauma in their students?
There are a lot of traumatized" (I hope I,m spelling that word right :)) kids in Conn now who will be for years because this nut took out twenty of their classmates.

How come students aren't "traumatized" when the see a cop with one?..Would teachers automatically be more terrifying to them than the police?...
I think the students could get used to that fact pretty quickly, when they realize it's for their protection.

Location hidden

#17 Dec 20, 2012
Obama Clooney 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail on the head!
Everybody thinks just because you take a class in gun defense, you are automatically ready to take on the bad guys in crisis situation. Most people would freeze up if they saw a gunman coming in a school and had a consealed weapon on their person. And like I said before, many would likely shoot their own foot or even kill a student. Lets keep the teaching to the teachers and the shooting to the cops.
NObody knows how anyone would react in a violent situation, and how do YOU know MOST people would freeze up?
There's no way to tell that, 100% until you are in that situation, and many would more likely be killed by the intruder than shoot themselves in the foot, becuase they WOULDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO SHOOT THEMSELVES IN THE FOOT WITH if people like you had their way... I mean "D" :)

Location hidden

#18 Dec 20, 2012
Obama Clooney 2016 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exactly right!! Never thought of that one.
I could see this in the headline, "Careless teacher leaves gun on desk, student grabs gun and kills 3 classmates" or "Missing firearms among teachers a normality these days".
I appreciate your input.
I hate to sound like Piers Morgan in reverse, but you are basically a dumbass:)

You think everyone is as inept as you for some odd reason.
I bet you can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#19 Dec 20, 2012
Shootist wrote:
<quoted text>I hate to sound like Piers Morgan in reverse, but you are basically a dumbass:)
You think everyone is as inept as you for some odd reason.
I bet you can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
Why so insulting? Stick to the discussion.

Since: Jun 10

Topix

#20 Dec 20, 2012
I can empathize that it has to be devastating to have one's children removed from their home, but look at what just happened a couple of days ago. Scary. He shot his mouth off, and thank God that was all.

Former Sheriff's Candidate Charged with Making Terroristic Threats

JACKSON COUNTY, W.Va.(WSAZ)

....Chief Boggs says during the confrontation, Tate told the school's secretary "If you wonder why people shoot people like they just did, it's because of things like this!"

School personnel took this as a direct threat and in fear of their personal safety, they called 911. Deputies responded to the school and the DHHR office where they found Tate in the waiting area.

During the investigation, investigators spoke to personnel at the DHHR office and found that the day before when Tate learned about losing his children he said "If you're in my house when I get home, I'll blow your head off" and "You know that school shooting that happened in Connecticut, that's what its gonna be like."

Later that day, Tate called the DHHR again and said something to the effect of "If you take my kids, it'll be like that school shooting. I'll kill a bunch of people and myself."

Tate has been charged with two counts of making terroristic threats. Tate was arraigned on the felony charges in Kanawha County Magistrate Court.

His bond was set at $300,000.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Former-She...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Khols Bald Maintenance Guy 7 min i know who u are 12
When are the Beckley Fireworks 49 min Diggler 5
lions den ghent, wv (Feb '14) 55 min Hoss 41
Happy 4th, Shootist 1 hr Porch Honkey 4
Appalachia Towing & Recovery 5 hr Jimmy Smitts 7
Robert E Lee 7 hr Paul Masley 16
Nam 10 hr Pooched Donkey 12
More from around the web

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE