Former trooper arrested

Former trooper arrested

There are 178 comments on the Bluefield Daily Telegraph story from May 3, 2007, titled Former trooper arrested. In it, Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports that:

“I see no reason to detain you on my own motion”

A former West Virginia state trooper who served for a time at the Welch detachment, was arrested Wednesday on charges contained in a seven-count federal indictment that was returned Tuesday by a federal grand ... via Bluefield Daily Telegraph

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bluefield Daily Telegraph.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Here we go again

Bluefield, WV

#1 May 3, 2007
BLUEFIELD — A former West Virginia state trooper who served for a time at the Welch detachment, was arrested Wednesday on charges contained in a seven-count federal indictment that was returned Tuesday by a federal grand jury meeting in Beckley.

Thomas C. Jennings, 47, of Maybeury appeared at U.S. District Court in Bluefield Wednesday afternoon for his initial appearance before Federal Magistrate Judge R. Clarke Vandervort. After explaining his rights, Vandervort asked Jennings if he had received a copy of the indictment. The defendant answered that he had.

According to the indictment, the charges stem from drug distribution staring June 27, 2005, and continuing until Nov. 15, 2006. Two counts of the indictment charge Jennings with distribution of hydrocordone, while the remaining five counts allege the distribution of cocaine base, also known as “crack” cocaine.

Vandervort explained that the government did not move for bond in the case.“I see no reason to detain you on my own motion,” Vandervort said. He released Jennings on standard terms of a $10,000 non-surety bond, but released him to home confinement and electronic monitoring. Vandervort stipulated that the defendant could not contact witnesses, could not use excessive amounts of alcohol and could not have weapons in his residence.

Vandervort scheduled Jennings’ arraignment for 11:30 a.m., Monday, May 7, in Bluefield. Jennings was working for the state police out of the Welch Detachment as recently as the summer of 1990.
Inquiring Minds

Columbia, SC

#2 May 3, 2007
About time!! If Jennings is guilty of the charges, he needs to go straight to prison! Now, how about traveling to McDowell county and cleaning up some of our so called "law enforcement?" It's a commin'....wait and see.
Saigon

Bluefield, WV

#3 May 3, 2007
Another one bits the dust.I hate that for anyone.But if you deal in drugs,they need to burn you.Double the time,and make you work for you living.

“It's a new beginning :D”

Since: Feb 07

Big Four, WV

#4 May 3, 2007
My husband and I knew him pretty well at one time. He use to be a pretty good guy. It's so sad that he had to resign years ago and now he resorted to trafficking drugs. I think he lost a lot of friends when he had to resign and lost all respect of many ppl. Not a good thing to say the least.

“formerly bunkerbaby83”

Since: May 07

gary, princeton, bluefield

#5 May 3, 2007
I've been in hard spots before, I lost my job and my hubby (now exhubby) wouldnt work, but I never sunk so low as to sell dope. And when you hear about all these cops and excops selling it makes you wonder whats wrong with this country that the "good guys" (and I use the term loosly) are just as responnsible for the drug problem as the bad guys.
When I was on dope I actually had a cop (no names) warn me that they were going to bust my dealer, he told me what day and time it was going down. When I was on dope I loved the cops, I even bought my dope from two of them, now that I'm clean and sober (2 1/2 years thank you very much) I can see the problem for what it is.
I hope he ets 15 years or more, who knows how many of kisd have overdoced because of him.
And thats all I haave to say about that!
davy

Spanishburg, WV

#6 May 3, 2007
yep! and i hope they get the ex-deputy that has people selling for him up here in davy to. pulling guns on teenagers and threating to burn down their house because they got dope from one of his sellers and didn't pay when they said they would.

“formerly bunkerbaby83”

Since: May 07

gary, princeton, bluefield

#7 May 3, 2007
davy wrote:
yep! and i hope they get the ex-deputy that has people selling for him up here in davy to. pulling guns on teenagers and threating to burn down their house because they got dope from one of his sellers and didn't pay when they said they would.
Yeah, i heard it was getting bad down there.
hmmmm

Bluefield, WV

#8 May 3, 2007
would that be the same ex deputy on workers comp that is gonna run for sheriff?
My Turn

Montgomery, TX

#9 May 3, 2007
Always a WV Girl wrote:
My husband and I knew him pretty well at one time. He use to be a pretty good guy. It's so sad that he had to resign years ago and now he resorted to trafficking drugs. I think he lost a lot of friends when he had to resign and lost all respect of many ppl. Not a good thing to say the least.
He had to resign because he killed a man that made his 3'rd death and one major law suit was against him in Bradshaw where he broke a mans leg for simply asking a question. He killed a man in the Mcdowell county Jail for telling the Sheriff RJ Allen that Jennings was his source of Drugs and that man's house was burned down the same night. Jennings has never been a good cop he has always been a pusher even when he was a State Police.
My Turn

Montgomery, TX

#10 May 3, 2007
I didn't mean for the above statement to be offensive to anyone. I'm talking from what the families have been through in McDowell county over bad cops. If he was your friend so be it, no insults ment.
davy

Spanishburg, WV

#11 May 3, 2007
hmmmm wrote:
would that be the same ex deputy on workers comp that is gonna run for sheriff?
----when you smell a dead rat, call it a dead rat, right?
unknown

Princeton, WV

#12 May 3, 2007
My Turn wrote:
<quoted text>He had to resign because he killed a man that made his 3'rd death and one major law suit was against him in Bradshaw where he broke a mans leg for simply asking a question. He killed a man in the Mcdowell county Jail for telling the Sheriff RJ Allen that Jennings was his source of Drugs and that man's house was burned down the same night. Jennings has never been a good cop he has always been a pusher even when he was a State Police.
Now here you go running your mouth about something you probably know nothing about. If this was true why wasn't he arrested? I have been living in this county for over 60 years and has never heard anything about him killing someone. I know one of the deputys killed someone as a matter of fact I think it was 2 people he shot. Another killing was from A Trooper JJ MIller. What about tk mullins. I heard the rumors about him. I think every police officer has been accused of killing someone at one time. I think before you start your slander, you should get the facts straight. Don't prejudge people if you don't know the facts. COuld it be that Mr. Jennings arrested you.And as for him being a good cop, you're right he wasn't, he was an excellent cop.
fedup

North Augusta, SC

#13 May 3, 2007
he int the only one in maubeury
unknown

Princeton, WV

#14 May 3, 2007
fedup wrote:
he int the only one in maubeury
what? the spelling is maybeury
My Turn

Montgomery, TX

#15 May 3, 2007
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>Now here you go running your mouth about something you probably know nothing about. If this was true why wasn't he arrested? I have been living in this county for over 60 years and has never heard anything about him killing someone. I know one of the deputys killed someone as a matter of fact I think it was 2 people he shot. Another killing was from A Trooper JJ MIller. What about tk mullins. I heard the rumors about him. I think every police officer has been accused of killing someone at one time. I think before you start your slander, you should get the facts straight. Don't prejudge people if you don't know the facts. COuld it be that Mr. Jennings arrested you.And as for him being a good cop, you're right he wasn't, he was an excellent cop.
I don't know what I'm talking about? guess again the man he killed was my cousin. My niece won the case, the state is still paying her for life. The man whom legs he broke was a good friend of my families. He drove a $70,000 Porsche on a State troopers pay? Now If I'm wrong and running my mouth then why did the state admit Defeat? I'm not being a smart elix I'm only telling what happened he killed as many as 5 people 3 they know of for sure. And if you look at the Peelchestnut killings they are not far from his house. Yep he is the most likely suspect for a serial killer in my opinion. He might be inocent till proven guilty, but facts are facts He was a drug pusher even when he was a state trooper. My own brother ran around with him. I knew it back then.
My Turn

Montgomery, TX

#16 May 3, 2007
Unknown,, on the above statement you made get your facts straight myne are on the court house records. where are yours?
fedup

North Augusta, SC

#17 May 3, 2007
he is not the only one in maybeury

Since: Feb 07

west virginia

#18 May 3, 2007
My Turn wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know what I'm talking about? guess again the man he killed was my cousin. My niece won the case, the state is still paying her for life. The man whom legs he broke was a good friend of my families. He drove a $70,000 Porsche on a State troopers pay? Now If I'm wrong and running my mouth then why did the state admit Defeat? I'm not being a smart elix I'm only telling what happened he killed as many as 5 people 3 they know of for sure. And if you look at the Peelchestnut killings they are not far from his house. Yep he is the most likely suspect for a serial killer in my opinion. He might be inocent till proven guilty, but facts are facts He was a drug pusher even when he was a state trooper. My own brother ran around with him. I knew it back then.
Where these people from Bradshaw? Do you mind giving a hint of who the man was? If you dont want to I understand..
Spice Creek

United States

#19 May 4, 2007
My Turn wrote:
<quoted text>He had to resign because he killed a man that made his 3'rd death and one major law suit was against him in Bradshaw where he broke a mans leg for simply asking a question. He killed a man in the Mcdowell county Jail for telling the Sheriff RJ Allen that Jennings was his source of Drugs and that man's house was burned down the same night. Jennings has never been a good cop he has always been a pusher even when he was a State Police.
So true have a inlaw who use to visit him at the
detachment for drugs.
My Turn

Montgomery, TX

#20 May 4, 2007
CrAzY cHiCk wrote:
<quoted text>Where these people from Bradshaw? Do you mind giving a hint of who the man was? If you dont want to I understand..
The man whose legs he broke was Oquin and the man he killed was Tony Church. I can arange to help you any way I can to put that Serial killer where he belongs.
He hid behind a Badge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You need to hear this 17 min Zombies exist 3
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 33 min Ohyeah 3,985
I'm a cna and wanting a change in job dose anyo... 1 hr Jester MM 4
News Drug roundup in Raleigh Co. nets 28 arrests (Dec '14) 2 hr Common sense 10
Altercation at Woodrow game 2 hr Flying Eagle 5
25 cent goodwill 2 hr Captain Obvious 9
Wished she was mine. Help 5 hr Hey 33

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance