First Prev
of 2
Next Last
curious

Beckley, WV

#1 Oct 25, 2012
This isn't a discussion about whether it's right or wrong to have an abortion. My question is more of a medical one...should there be a limit on the number of abortions one female has? What about the girls that have multiple abortions before they are 25 years old. Although it's legal to have an abortion, do you think there should be some limitations?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Oct 25, 2012
How many girls under 25 do you know who have had multiple abortions? Personally I don't know any. I can't imagine that with the availability of other forms of birth control that are much cheaper and much less invasive that there are very many out there. But what is your experience with this?
1 post removed
curious

Beckley, WV

#4 Oct 25, 2012
When I was in high school, I had a friend that had 3 before she turned 20. And now that I'm an adult, I know of a girl that has had 3 (maybe more) and she's not 22 yet. Quite excessive I think. I don't think the birth control pill is something some women even think about. Both of these cases, there is no marriage, just "having a good time".
As IF

Washington, DC

#5 Oct 25, 2012
Of course there are those that have multiples!

Like most of you always tout... it's the woman's "decision" what they do. But NO WAY should tax payers have to fund it!!

Some believe the "decision" is murder. Look it up, it stops a heartbeat! Think of it this way, would you have a problem if someone "decided" to kill their 3 yr old?? Most would be outraged!! But it's their "decision" ?!?! Those that think abortion is murder have the same sense of outrage that this practice can go on.

It's beyond me how an entire political party can approve and make it easier for this to go on... and even support funding for it!

There are exceptions but for the most part, this practice should not be common and routine.
curious

Beckley, WV

#6 Oct 25, 2012
My own personal belief is that abortions should be illegal in all cases. But that's not how the law works. So with that being said, I think there should be some type of law that states after so many abortions, the woman should be required to have her tubes tied or sterilized all together. It's a shame that abortion has become a form of birth control.
Obama is with us

Beckley, WV

#7 Oct 25, 2012
As IF wrote:
Of course there are those that have multiples!
Like most of you always tout... it's the woman's "decision" what they do. But NO WAY should tax payers have to fund it!!
Some believe the "decision" is murder. Look it up, it stops a heartbeat! Think of it this way, would you have a problem if someone "decided" to kill their 3 yr old?? Most would be outraged!! But it's their "decision" ?!?! Those that think abortion is murder have the same sense of outrage that this practice can go on.
It's beyond me how an entire political party can approve and make it easier for this to go on... and even support funding for it!
There are exceptions but for the most part, this practice should not be common and routine.
By your own admission you condone murder because you would allow exceptions. But then again if you prevented a pregnant woman with known complications from having an abortion and she died, you would also condone murder. So whatcha gonna do?

Location hidden

#8 Oct 25, 2012
curious wrote:
My own personal belief is that abortions should be illegal in all cases. But that's not how the law works. So with that being said, I think there should be some type of law that states after so many abortions, the woman should be required to have her tubes tied or sterilized all together. It's a shame that abortion has become a form of birth control.
I think it's amusing how rightwingers want the government to stay out of their business but when it comes to something they disapprove they want the government to step in and tell that person they can't do that. Abortion is legal and it's none of your business who has one or why as long as they pay for it.

"First implemented in 1977, the Hyde Amendment, which currently forbids the use of federal funds for abortions except in cases of life endangerment, rape or incest, has guided public funding for abortions under the joint federal-state Medicaid programs for low-income women. At a minimum, states must cover those abortions that meet the federal exceptions." Even Romney agrees with this...or he says he does.

Level 2

Since: Sep 12

Beckley, WV

#9 Oct 25, 2012
I agree with the tubes tied sterilized thing someone said.
curious

Beckley, WV

#10 Oct 25, 2012
@LL - You are so confrontational. You are ready to start an argument about any subject. I started this discussion not to debate the interjection of government in things that the "rightwingers" disagree with and/or agree with. I'm just curious how people feel about getting numerous abortions. Not that I'm trying to sway anyone's opinion or start a debate on my morals concerning abortions. I think it's sad that we've raised a generation of "Me, me, me and I WANT IT NOW" generation. I am just as guilty as such because my children have immediate access to many different things. But I'd like to see some kind of law implemented that limit the number of abortions one woman can get in a lifetime. I would also like to see a law passed as to how many babies a woman can have and live off the system. I'm enraged that I have to pay for either. I got married right out of high school, had a child a year later and was divorced by the time she was 3. I didn't get an education for free, a car, cell phone, afdc check, food stamps, etc. because I worked. Although I was a clerk at a convenience store, the system would not pay for my education because I had a decent income. I had to make my own car payment and provide all my child's needs. It took me years to pay off my student loan but I did and became successful. My ex didn't have to pay child support because at the time of my divorce, he didn't have a job so the amount of child support was set at $0.00. And in order for me to get any money out of him #1. he would have to work and #2. I would have to take him back to court, on my own dime. So I chose to not pursue it.
Back to the original topic, I think there should be a limit to the number of abortions and children I have to pay for.

Location hidden

#11 Oct 25, 2012
curious wrote:
@LL - You are so confrontational. You are ready to start an argument about any subject. I started this discussion not to debate the interjection of government in things that the "rightwingers" disagree with and/or agree with. I'm just curious how people feel about getting numerous abortions. Not that I'm trying to sway anyone's opinion or start a debate on my morals concerning abortions. I think it's sad that we've raised a generation of "Me, me, me and I WANT IT NOW" generation. I am just as guilty as such because my children have immediate access to many different things. But I'd like to see some kind of law implemented that limit the number of abortions one woman can get in a lifetime. I would also like to see a law passed as to how many babies a woman can have and live off the system. I'm enraged that I have to pay for either. I got married right out of high school, had a child a year later and was divorced by the time she was 3. I didn't get an education for free, a car, cell phone, afdc check, food stamps, etc. because I worked. Although I was a clerk at a convenience store, the system would not pay for my education because I had a decent income. I had to make my own car payment and provide all my child's needs. It took me years to pay off my student loan but I did and became successful. My ex didn't have to pay child support because at the time of my divorce, he didn't have a job so the amount of child support was set at $0.00. And in order for me to get any money out of him #1. he would have to work and #2. I would have to take him back to court, on my own dime. So I chose to not pursue it.
Back to the original topic, I think there should be a limit to the number of abortions and children I have to pay for.
You asked for opinions....I gave you mine.

You have my respect for the way you supported yourself and your child and got an education which enabled you to become successful....I took the same road myself almost 50 years ago so I know what you're talking about. But wages for lower and middle income people have stagnated for the past 30 years while the cost of living has increased disproportionately. People making minimum wage can't make it today without some help from somewhere...and probably all their family members are making minimum wage also so who will help them if not the government? Not everyone is able to get a job making more than minimum wage and what happens to the cost of living when the minimum wage goes up.

As for abortion, everyone is entitled to their opinion but abortion is legal and the government doesn't have the right to tell anyone what they should do with their bodies.

So, you want to call it a draw?
curious

Beckley, WV

#12 Oct 25, 2012
Considering you had to struggle yourself, I feel like you aren't too happy to foot the bill for others promiscuity. Either in the form of abortion or generations on welfare. You and I both knew what it took to make a way and I made sure I didn't bring another person in this world that would have to struggle with me. And more so, I didn't ever want to make a choice to take a life, so I made sure that didn't happen.
I agree, draw.:)

“Country is as country does!”

Level 1

Since: Oct 12

Princeton, WV

#13 Oct 25, 2012
Here's my personal perspective on the issue, like it or not, here it comes...

Abortion should be ILLegal in all circumstances. I know that many women choose to abort their babies in the event they got pregnant as the result of rape. It is not the baby's fault you were raped, don't take it out on them!!! If you don't want him or her, put them up for adoption! There are many loving families who would love to adopt and give a baby a good home.

If a doctor said that the baby was sick and probably would not make it, God can perform miracles no matter how impossible the situation may seem. Give the babies a chance! They could grow up to be doctors, world-renowned scientists, or engineers! Give them a chance to have a bright future!

It is comforting to know, however, that all of the sweet little babies who have been aborted are in Heaven with Jesus. They don't have to worry about living in such a sinful and corrupt world. If the Moms who have had abortions are Christians, then one day, when they get to Heaven, a little girl or boy will walk up to them and say, "Hi Mom! I've been waiting for you." Rest assured people that all of the murdered babies are with God. Praise the Lord!
Heartless

Oak Hill, WV

#14 Oct 25, 2012
The great thing about this country, is not all are christian, or believe in god. Or, believe in things completely different.
As far as all those "sweet little babies going to heaven" I do believe one must be saved first in order to enter heaven? I'm not a christian so It's not something I follow.

Abortion is legal. Period. Until it is viable, a fetus is not a tiny baby that can pop out looking all googly eyed, making funny noises, and stealing a heart, at 8 weeks. or 10.
The rights of a woman supersedes that of what can implant in her uterus, regardless of reason. It is a medical decision that should be made with one's doctor as any other. If you have a right to tell me what to do with my body, and my health - then I have every right to tell you not to remove that tumor. Or kidney. Or have open heart surgery.

“Country is as country does!”

Level 1

Since: Oct 12

Princeton, WV

#15 Oct 26, 2012
Heartless wrote:
The great thing about this country, is not all are christian, or believe in god. Or, believe in things completely different.
As far as all those "sweet little babies going to heaven" I do believe one must be saved first in order to enter heaven? I'm not a christian so It's not something I follow.
Abortion is legal. Period. Until it is viable, a fetus is not a tiny baby that can pop out looking all googly eyed, making funny noises, and stealing a heart, at 8 weeks. or 10.
The rights of a woman supersedes that of what can implant in her uterus, regardless of reason. It is a medical decision that should be made with one's doctor as any other. If you have a right to tell me what to do with my body, and my health - then I have every right to tell you not to remove that tumor. Or kidney. Or have open heart surgery.
Just so you know about how Christians believe in regards to babies and small children and Salvation...

Babies and very young children do not know what Salvation is and could not understand it at such a young age, therefore, if they were so young as to not know what it is and died they would automatically go to Heaven, plain and simple as that. It is the same for those who are born brain dead or mentally handicapped to the point they cannot understand what Salvation is, when they die, no matter what age, they will go to Heaven as well. God is not going to send someone to hell when they have no comprehension as to what being Saved is.

In regards to another statement about the fetus being viable, as soon as that fetus forms it has a heartbeat! If something has a heartbeat, what does that mean? It's alive! It's a living being! To have an operation to stop that heartbeat is killing a living being, plain and simple. How someone could be so heartless to do that I'll never know. And how a doctor can live in a mansion and drive around in a Mercedes, and take home such fat paychecks from performing those operations, that is SICK!!!!!
Heartless

Oak Hill, WV

#16 Oct 26, 2012
The same as they take home that "fat pay" for your life saving operation. Fact is, most doctors don't get that pay until many years into their careers, after paying off hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical education. But I digress.
I'll agree to the no abortion, period, if you agree to absolutely no life saving operation for yourself. God heals all, right?

It's not being sick. It's being REAL. This is not a perfect world, where everyone is happily surviving on perfect incomes, in a perfect little house, with a perfect white fence having 2.7 children. Women are in thousands of different situations, scenarios, birth control failures, and a multitude of other reasons.
Women who do not want to bear a child will find SOME way to get rid of it. Neither should a child come into this world to anyone who doesn't want them - there are already too many in this world not wanted in the state systems. A heartbeat is not detected until weeks 8, or 9, though I'm sure you'll argue differently. Science is just a bunch of bull right?

If you want to reduce the number of abortions, instead of throwing god into the equation, throw your support behind real, factual, and a thorough sexual education for everyone. Education on the process, conception, and all the birth control forms to help assist pregnancy prevention.
Oral Roberts

Tiverton, RI

#17 Oct 26, 2012
Free abortions for all minorites!!! Come and get em before the shopvacs get plugged up ladies!!! Remember Thursdays are buy one abortion and get one free. Give it to a loved one or friend who needs a good cleaning and let the experience aborted heaven. Imagine drifting away to the sound of a vacuum and the pacific islands on screen. Then a lite lunch prepared by none other than chef slappy jackson. A reps king of gauze and out the door you go in our stretch limo that lets everyone know this lady just had an abortion, so look out world.

Location hidden

#18 Oct 26, 2012
Postcardsnpianos wrote:
Here's my personal perspective on the issue, like it or not, here it comes...
Abortion should be ILLegal in all circumstances. I know that many women choose to abort their babies in the event they got pregnant as the result of rape. It is not the baby's fault you were raped, don't take it out on them!!! If you don't want him or her, put them up for adoption! There are many loving families who would love to adopt and give a baby a good home.
If a doctor said that the baby was sick and probably would not make it, God can perform miracles no matter how impossible the situation may seem. Give the babies a chance! They could grow up to be doctors, world-renowned scientists, or engineers! Give them a chance to have a bright future!
It is comforting to know, however, that all of the sweet little babies who have been aborted are in Heaven with Jesus. They don't have to worry about living in such a sinful and corrupt world. If the Moms who have had abortions are Christians, then one day, when they get to Heaven, a little girl or boy will walk up to them and say, "Hi Mom! I've been waiting for you." Rest assured people that all of the murdered babies are with God. Praise the Lord!
Everybody has a right to their opinions...but you don't have the right to make the rules for people who disagree with you.
informed citizen

Oak Hill, WV

#19 Oct 26, 2012
I am pro-choice (with careful consideration & in VERY early pregnancy, because babies should be wanted); but there comes a point when you have to admit that abortion is the chosen method of some people for birth control. I say - top it at 3-that's plenty to say whoops or a mistake or birth-control failure. Then do sterilizaton unless it's for rape, incest and life of the mother. Just because it's legal doesn't mean that it should be condoned in all circumstances. Take birth control or get your tubes tied.

Location hidden

#20 Oct 26, 2012
Someone posted on another forum that women should give up their reproduction rights when everybody gives up their rights to life saving operations for problems that are the result of life style choices....like multiple stents because they have smoked or eaten too much or not exercised enough....or diabetes treatment because they weigh too much. I don't think anyone wants that to happen but some people sure do want to make the rules for women's issues.
informed citizen

Oak Hill, WV

#21 Oct 26, 2012
Lesson Learned wrote:
Someone posted on another forum that women should give up their reproduction rights when everybody gives up their rights to life saving operations for problems that are the result of life style choices....like multiple stents because they have smoked or eaten too much or not exercised enough....or diabetes treatment because they weigh too much. I don't think anyone wants that to happen but some people sure do want to make the rules for women's issues.
Women do have reproductive rights, they can choose to prevent preganancy if they don't want children. Ok, I understand-- sh!t happens - but once it does you should learn from the mistake. I'm not pro-abortion-I'm pro-choice, but with choice should come responsiblity. Abortion is legal, but shouldn't be used as going to the dentist and having a bad tooth yanked. You'll get over the lost tooth, but will you get over what that child may have been like or achieved? Was it a girl or a boy? Did I make the right choice? Again, it's a choice -- but you might be better off if you didn't have to make it (or feel you HAD to make it) in the first place.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stolen walmart tv 32 min Cathy 7
Olivia Berkel 1 hr Stayaway 1
Bill Clinton 2 hr Bert 6
natalie and jack 2 hr nosurprise 35
Do you think that synthetic marijuana is a prob... (Jun '15) 2 hr Nancy 16
If she is still alive 3 hr Leslie 6
Best Preschools in Beckley Area (Apr '13) 3 hr Alyssa 14

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance