affinity coal mine
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
johnboy

Beckley, WV

#1 Oct 8, 2011
Does anybody know what kind of condition the top at affinity is? I've heard it was bad and a low seam from an ex employee, and wanted to know if it was true before taking a job there?
man

United States

#2 Oct 9, 2011
well i have a few guys that work with me that says that mine is a joke and can not hire no one unless they are on drugs and can not keep no one. also they say its wet muddy falling in. i hope this helps. also what do you do underground what kind of work you looking for and are you a black hat.
Worker

Beckley, WV

#3 Oct 9, 2011
Isn't that eveyone mine? The drug part
Worker

Beckley, WV

#4 Oct 9, 2011
They can't hire cause the pay is a the joke
Worker

Beckley, WV

#5 Oct 9, 2011
Their men can not even afford Internet haha
johnboy

Beckley, WV

#6 Oct 9, 2011
man wrote:
well i have a few guys that work with me that says that mine is a joke and can not hire no one unless they are on drugs and can not keep no one. also they say its wet muddy falling in. i hope this helps. also what do you do underground what kind of work you looking for and are you a black hat.
Thanks, i have a good job just thought about changing cause its on 15 min away instead of 45.
coalminerswife

United States

#7 Oct 17, 2011
My husband works there. The main thing he fusses about is the pay and the BS they are doing right now before the start running coal! They told the men they should be running by February. Also the pay is less than most mines but once the get done rehabbing or the first of the year the will get pay raises. Also he says it will be the place to be when the start running. If you can get thru the BS for now till February it will be a good mine! This is what my husband tells me. He left his last job for the same reason!
southern girl

Chapmanville, WV

#8 Oct 17, 2011
hope it gets better 4 yall...
miner

Washington, DC

#9 Oct 20, 2011
Always the same comments about coal miners and coal mines. ICG had the same issues when starting out & now they have very competitive pay & benefits. It is also a good mines despite the negative comments. Affinity will be the same way, only difference is when they do get up & running & the coal market (even for met coal) drops out, Affinity will be standing & giving raises & continue with good benefits because they are in the steel business not coal. Metinvest is a fully integrated company & needs no coal contracts to survive cause they use it all their self. My suggestion is stick it out through the tough times & it will be rewarding in the end. Affinity has great management and do treat their men good, which is more than I can say about other places.
Vertically Integrated

Beckley, WV

#10 Dec 7, 2011
Three reasons Affinity is not a good place to work......drugs are not tolerated, unsafe work habits are not tolerated & irregular workers are not welcome. If you fall under these three catergories and worked at Affinity you probably dont work there any longer. These people are the people talking smack.
There is some water coming from the old works but nothing that is gonna stop us from getting to the coal. The further we advance the dryer the outby areas get. In a short period of time Affinity will be the place to be. If you don't believe that ask 90% of the current work force.
Annoyed

Maysel, WV

#11 Dec 7, 2011
My husband was one of the men on the exploration team before Affinity re-opened. He says that it will be a good mine once they get everything going and weed out the bad employees. As 'Vertically Integrated' stated, there is some water (some sections are worse than others) but nothing that will interfere with production.
1 post removed
Miners ol Lady

Portage, MI

#13 Dec 7, 2011
Vertically Integrated wrote:
Three reasons Affinity is not a good place to work......drugs are not tolerated, unsafe work habits are not tolerated & irregular workers are not welcome. If you fall under these three catergories and worked at Affinity you probably dont work there any longer. These people are the people talking smack.
There is some water coming from the old works but nothing that is gonna stop us from getting to the coal. The further we advance the dryer the outby areas get. In a short period of time Affinity will be the place to be. If you don't believe that ask 90% of the current work force.
My man falls under none of the catagories above he is an Emt, few days from his black hat test, he took the electrition aprentis class that the mines he it's at now offered. He was hired by the company from a contractor after 3 months. But the mines he is at is drugs, unsafe work habits, thieves, men miss work-sure up all messed up, people fudging paperwork, etc. he would like to come to affinity our somewhere, for the perks which his mines does not have- safety bonus, a realistic production bonus, attendance bonus, christmas bonus, clothing allowance or uniforms. But most of all a good crew of men that work together and look out for each other- not steal your boots , light , belt or hammer... He is a deticated employee, he enjoys mining coal, is drug free, he is anal about safty (which is good). His goal is to become a mine rescuer. He says somebody has to get my brothers out of those situations. And I stand behind him in whatever he chooses. Ne way . How does he get a job there? Who are the ppl I need to get his resume to?
Mike

Beaver, WV

#14 Dec 8, 2011
Anyone who has something bad to say about Affinity or Pocahontas DOES not know what they are talking about. Completely Clueless......
Miner

Culloden, WV

#15 Dec 8, 2011
What's the pay rate there cause 25 an hour Is low pay for low coal the add in the paper said newly adjusted pay?

Level 4

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#16 Dec 8, 2011
miner wrote:
Always the same comments about coal miners and coal mines. ICG had the same issues when starting out & now they have very competitive pay & benefits. It is also a good mines despite the negative comments. Affinity will be the same way, only difference is when they do get up & running & the coal market (even for met coal) drops out, Affinity will be standing & giving raises & continue with good benefits because they are in the steel business not coal. Metinvest is a fully integrated company & needs no coal contracts to survive cause they use it all their self. My suggestion is stick it out through the tough times & it will be rewarding in the end. Affinity has great management and do treat their men good, which is more than I can say about other places.
Anyone who is mining met coal is in it for the long haul...not just pocahontas...as long as China and India has a demand for steel then pocahontas #3 seam coal will sell. If Affinity tries to drive toward stotesbury then they are surely doomed. Joe Phillips tried to mine in that area and went bust...couldn't hold the top. His plan was to drive to Affinity plant and belt his coal underground to the plant. But every direction they went, there were roof falls everywhere. Just something to consider for anyone thinking of going there. It does not matter how solid the market for met coalis; bottom line if you cant hold the roof then everybody's goin' home.
George

Brookneal, VA

#17 Dec 8, 2011
I would recommend a truck driving job in North Dakota.
Annoyed

Maysel, WV

#18 Dec 9, 2011
You are definitely entitled to your own opinion. I don't mean it in a disrespectful manner toward you but my husband worked for United Coal/Pocahontas for several years and I could say plenty of bad stuff about them (though I choose to not stoop to that level) and I DO know what I'm talking about.
Mike wrote:
Anyone who has something bad to say about Affinity or Pocahontas DOES not know what they are talking about. Completely Clueless......
greatfultobework ing

United States

#19 Apr 28, 2012
A that will get you killedffinity is a [email protected] good place to work they don't tollerate all the pill heads and outlaws the work is done right there and it is safe. They r on the coal and it will get bigger. And better. I'm proud to work there. If you wanna keep lookin for jobs and keep getting laid off go work for a company that outsources their coal and sells their coal to other coal companies all you will find is a bunch of pill head loosers that will get you killed!
obamasucks

Sophia, WV

#20 May 15, 2012
Where can someone apply, hubby has put the application in the drop slot at the office but can never speak to anyone, does anyone have a number for someone he can call? Hes recently laid off from Alpha.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#21 May 16, 2012
Affinity mine -Old Pocahontas Coal Co.- now Owned by Some Russian Co. believe this death trap was shut down round 1985, very wet with extremely dangerous top. Methane explosions prolly #2 danger -- along with the bad top however #1 danger will be from drowning -- got flooded works along side & overtop of ya so I hear. Good luck to ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beckley VA 29 min Sharon T 39
Thanks 38 min Tacky Gold 3
natalie and jack 51 min nosurprise 31
why do black men prefer white women? (May '14) 2 hr Duhh 861
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 5 hr Jon_B 6,669
Acord Mountain (Mar '11) 7 hr Judith Acord 26
lions den ghent, wv (Feb '14) 10 hr Billy Afleck 92

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages