Things i would like to see change in ...

Things i would like to see change in beckley

Posted in the Beckley Forum

do something good

Moneta, VA

#1 Feb 8, 2013
I would like to see more industrial jobs, instead of one miilion resteraunts, and I would like to see some high dollar classy entertainment, like a classy sports bar that required a dress code.
sistersalvation

Beckley, WV

#2 Feb 8, 2013
do something good wrote:
I would like to see more industrial jobs, instead of one miilion resteraunts, and I would like to see some high dollar classy entertainment, like a classy sports bar that required a dress code.
Um, ok. resteraunts.
shokay

Beckley, WV

#3 Feb 8, 2013
do something good wrote:
News flash! This is Beckley bro. Not Lewisburg. We're overrun by dope heads and thieves. U think anyone with a right mind would invest in that sort of thing around here??? Negative.
Mountaineer

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Feb 9, 2013
do something good wrote:
There are "industrial" jobs in the area, but they are nearly all mining related on some level. No real reason for other industries to locate in the Beckley area besides possibly interstate access. A "high dollar classy sports bar?" (snicker)
do something good

Moneta, VA

#5 Feb 9, 2013
Beckley is not above having classy business move here. I have every faith something classy will come to beckley. People need a nice place to go to if 3d is as good as it gets, were screwed, that place is fun, but its scankvill.
Mountaineer

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Feb 9, 2013
do something good wrote:
Beckley is not above having classy business move here. I have every faith something classy will come to beckley. People need a nice place to go to if 3d is as good as it gets, were screwed, that place is fun, but its scankvill.
Seems that "classy" is very subjective.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#7 Feb 9, 2013
I've been to the Park Plaza in NY, I've been to the Ritz Carlton in Atlanta, personally I prefer a little neighborhood bar "where everybody knows your name"....or at least I did when I used to go to bars.

“Pissed off underwater tiger.”

Level 6

Since: Apr 12

Imitated but never duplicated

#8 Feb 9, 2013
LOL... of all the things Beckley needs... a sports bar is so low on the list.

Yes there is need of entertainment, but a bar is a bar is a bar. And really a sports bar is just another restaurant anyway. Just themed differently than say Roadhouse restaurants.

Part of why there is so little for entertainment around here is that the city/county demographic is so old. Most people have to leave the area to find reasonable work. So when the largest bulk of the city doesnt mind that the most "progressive rock" radio station in reception range plays 40-50 year old rock and hits the dinner rush at 4pm that coincides with people not investing a lot in entertainment.

What the city needs is a provisional cohesive municipal government in order to bring the functions of the city under one roof so as to reduce overhead and start effective city planning. Fixing traffic would be a major start. Opening up properties that have stood as condemned for ages, and completely reworking the city street layout would be first imperative as all other things could be built from a more stable foundation.

Then there needs to be a high speed city loop to quickly access key points in town. There techically already is the foundation of this between the interstate, and the section that comes off the south Eisenhower exit to BARH, but that road needs to continue on north until it connects to the crossroads mall and the interstate junctions, and then wrap it around outside of dry hill till it reconnects back to Harper road. After that, Restructure South Fayette street to open up to 4 lanes and bypass 5 corners and have it spit out right around the VA hospital. Lastly, have at least one or two major through arteries cut across town. Ideally the most important would be a 4 lane built off of Johnstown Rd but extended all the wa out to the VA, or at least as close as it can get and behind Pinecrest to connect to the new 4 lane bypass.

With the infrastructure to get people where they need to go quickly and efficiently, you can start to build inside the "circle" Clearing out old abandoned properties that are the cause of obscene property values. In that clean up there needs to be low income high rises built to help house the population. Similar to the one near leisure lanes. This place has devoured entirely too much space relying on "town house" apartments.

Along the way you NEED a base of smaller but high tech jobs to try to keep the youth of the city from fleeing for work. Telecom only goes so far.

You need entertainment, but you also need a method of promotion for such entertainment. Modern rock station could be enough of a catalyst to draw in more modern (IE anywhere from present to no more than 20 year old groups) that would have the drawing power to first fill small local music venues, and as time grows on the building of a much larger venue to replace the woefully undersized armory.

See the problem with Beckley is mostly that of perception. We want to look at this place as some sleepy backwoods mountain town, but the reality is this place has the population and area to support a full fledged city, but refuses to capitalize on it by thinking entirely too small, and allowing the gullible in power to be lead by the nose by those who manipulate for their own personal interest..

Its sad that ALL of this is reasonable and possible, simply by first running the government more efficiently, and learning how to capitalize on opportunity as they present themselves.

I mean seriously, is the Uncle A.... err i mean Boyscout Jamboree thing the best that the city can pin its hopes on?

“Pissed off underwater tiger.”

Level 6

Since: Apr 12

Imitated but never duplicated

#9 Feb 9, 2013
I mean how sad is it, that in this town... We have literally twice the national average in black population but there is no R&B, Rap type radio station, and about the best "pool hall" is at the friggen coin laundromat next to family dollar.
Church Lady

United States

#10 Feb 9, 2013
VirVoX Populi wrote:
I mean how sad is it, that in this town... We have literally twice the national average in black population but there is no R&B, Rap type radio station, and about the best "pool hall" is at the friggen coin laundromat next to family dollar.
Thank you for raising some excellent ideas...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why did David Darden get fired from rgh 38 min Really 9
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 57 min Sundog512 1,536
App arts and crafts 2 hr Curious 1
Joe Manchin Daughter 5 hr Diggler 17
Bojangles Raleigh Mall area opening soon. 5 hr Employee 4
shannon frazier dead 6 hr Peace 27
Woodrow football 7 hr Alien 4

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance