Beckley Woman Dies in Single-Vehicle ...

Beckley Woman Dies in Single-Vehicle Crash

There are 227 comments on the The State Journal story from Sep 5, 2010, titled Beckley Woman Dies in Single-Vehicle Crash. In it, The State Journal reports that:

A Beckley woman was killed early Sunday morning in a single-vehicle crash on Prosperity Road.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The State Journal.

Judge

Beckley, WV

#146 Sep 12, 2010
lawyer wrote:
People who are talking trash here should know that
they can get sued for talking in public about
someone private life . Watch yours words.
For your information buddy.. anyone can sue anyone for anything.
Winning is another question.

If someone posts something TRUE then nothing can be done except sit in the corner and cry like a baby.

Slander (spoken untruths that do harm) Libel (written untruths that do harm)

Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
4. Damage to the plaintiff.

In the context of defamation law, a statement is "published" when it is made to the third party. That term does not mean that the statement has to be in print.

Damages are typically to the reputation of the plaintiff, but depending upon the laws of the jurisdiction it may be enough to establish mental anguish.

Most jurisdictions also recognize "per se" defamation, where the allegations are presumed to cause damage to the plaintiff. Typically, the following may consititute defamation per se:

* Attacks on a person's professional character or standing;
* Allegations that an unmarried person is unchaste;
* Allegations that a person is infected with a sexually transmitted disease;
* Allegations that the person has committed a crime of moral turpitude;

While actions for defamation have their roots in common law, most jurisdictions have now enacted statutes which modify the common law. They may change the elements of the cause of action, limit when an action may be filed, or modify the defenses to an action for defamation. Some may even require that the defendant be given an opportunity to apologize before the plaintiff can seek non-economic damages.

A defense recognized in most jurisdictions is "opinion". If the person makes a statement of opinion as opposed to fact, the statement may not support a cause of action for defamation. Whether a statement is viewed as an expression of fact or opinion can depend upon context - that is, whether or not the person making the statement would be perceived by the community as being in a position to know whether or not it is true. If your employer calls you a pathological liar, it is far less likely to be regarded as opinion than if such a statement is made by somebody you just met. Some jurisdictions have eliminated the distinction between fact and opinion, and instead hold that any statement that suggests a factual basis can support a cause of action for defamation.

A defense similar to opinion is "fair comment on a matter of public interest". If the mayor of a town is involved in a corruption scandal, expressing the opinion that you believe the allegations are true is not likely to support a cause of action for defamation.

Go study your law,'lawyer'.
duh

Beckley, WV

#147 Sep 12, 2010
Judge wrote:
<quoted text>
For your information buddy.. anyone can sue anyone for anything.
Winning is another question.
If someone posts something TRUE then nothing can be done except sit in the corner and cry like a baby.
Slander (spoken untruths that do harm) Libel (written untruths that do harm)
Typically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:
1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
4. Damage to the plaintiff.
In the context of defamation law, a statement is "published" when it is made to the third party. That term does not mean that the statement has to be in print.
Damages are typically to the reputation of the plaintiff, but depending upon the laws of the jurisdiction it may be enough to establish mental anguish.
Most jurisdictions also recognize "per se" defamation, where the allegations are presumed to cause damage to the plaintiff. Typically, the following may consititute defamation per se:
* Attacks on a person's professional character or standing;
* Allegations that an unmarried person is unchaste;
* Allegations that a person is infected with a sexually transmitted disease;
* Allegations that the person has committed a crime of moral turpitude;
While actions for defamation have their roots in common law, most jurisdictions have now enacted statutes which modify the common law. They may change the elements of the cause of action, limit when an action may be filed, or modify the defenses to an action for defamation. Some may even require that the defendant be given an opportunity to apologize before the plaintiff can seek non-economic damages.
A defense recognized in most jurisdictions is "opinion". If the person makes a statement of opinion as opposed to fact, the statement may not support a cause of action for defamation. Whether a statement is viewed as an expression of fact or opinion can depend upon context - that is, whether or not the person making the statement would be perceived by the community as being in a position to know whether or not it is true. If your employer calls you a pathological liar, it is far less likely to be regarded as opinion than if such a statement is made by somebody you just met. Some jurisdictions have eliminated the distinction between fact and opinion, and instead hold that any statement that suggests a factual basis can support a cause of action for defamation.
A defense similar to opinion is "fair comment on a matter of public interest". If the mayor of a town is involved in a corruption scandal, expressing the opinion that you believe the allegations are true is not likely to support a cause of action for defamation.

Since: Sep 10

Beckley, WV

#148 Sep 12, 2010
Stone_Casters wrote:
I knew Chessie and I will not get on this site and bash her, no matter what my opinions of her were, she deserves to rest in peace. However, for those of you on here blaming her death on Nick Harris, I think you need a reality check. First of all, she made the choice to get in the car knowing he had been drinking and I am pretty sure he will suffer the memory of her death for the rest of his life...I don't think this is a time for blame, even though it may make you feel better, it is not right. Especially those of you quoting the Bible, let he who is without sin cast the first stone......Also everyone has forgotten who the real victim is, and that's Bonnie. It is extremely tragic that this sweet little angel must grow up without her mother, who, regardless of what she did or didn't do in her spare time, was the world to her. Let this be a wake-up call to those of you who participate in similar behavior, take it as a lesson learned, and not a time to cast stones.
i agree you caint go around blameing him , people do make there own choices
Shut your mouths

Beckley, WV

#149 Sep 12, 2010
senior citizen wrote:
<quoted text>It wouldn't be heaven then, would it!
How the heck do you know. Are you God, Do you know? I DIDN'T THINK SO, SO SHUT IT UP!!!!!
Shut your mouths

Beckley, WV

#150 Sep 12, 2010
tammy wrote:
<quoted text>a heck of a mom would have been at home with her child----not laying out drunk at a bar.
Many mothers leave their kids with people to go have fun, just because Chessie ended up being killed is the only reason people want to diss her as a mom, so why don't you go to all the bars and all the moms out drinking while their kids are safe and tell them what you think and keep your mouth off my friend and further more her daughter. Get off the computer and get a life. I will take up for my friend no matter what anyone says because I know none of this is true. I left my son at home with my husband and went out drinking with my mom. You have something to say about that. I'm not a bad mom. My kids are well taken care of and me getting a break was not being a bad mom. If you wanna talk trash about me, then step up to my face since I can defend myself and Chessie can't.
Shut your mouths

Beckley, WV

#151 Sep 12, 2010
agree wrote:
if the girl who died "would do anything" for her daughter that "meant the world" to her, then she should have made sure she made it home that night safely to her. if the child was with her father then that should have given the mother enough of a "break" hell even drinking AT HOME would have been kosher, but instead she wanted to go out and party and do drugs. that's not being a responsible mother... a responsible mother would make sure she is safe and ALIVE to be there for the child as it grows up.
sh*t like this scares me thinking about all the drunks out driving around when me or one of my family members is driving too. I fcking hate drunk drivers.
Oh yea real smart comment. She saw the future and knew that she was going to get in wreck. She trusted Nick and that's why she got in the car with him, how the heck did she know that she was going to die. If she had seen into the future and saw what was going to happen, do you honestly think she would have gotten in the car. Everyone on here wants to say drugs. NO ONE HAS VISIBLE PROOF OF DRUGS and NONE OF YOU HAVE SEEN THE TOXICOLOGY REPORT. So stop saying drugs. So like I told that tammy person. Get off the computer and get a life and don't worry about Cheesies. She can't defend herself so shut it up! I will keep defending my friend because I knew her and none of you all have the right to keep talking trash about her being a mother, drinking, going out to a bar, or supposedly doing drugs. She was 22 she had the right to leave her child SAFE with the child's dad, THE WEEKEND HE WAS SUPPOSED TO GET HER ANYWAY, and go out. When you have a child at a young age, you don't get to experience the partying and having fun, so yes, young mothers do have THE RIGHT to have a little fun. She had a job, was going to college and taking care of her daughter by herself all the time. SO KEEP YOUR MOUTH OFF OF HER. If anyone else has anything else bad to say about her, why don't you take your coward butts and find the family and talk your trash or are you guys scared.
Mike

Princeton, WV

#152 Sep 13, 2010
i have reported this topic and they have not deleted it. What is up with that. If those of you who loved Chessie will stop responding, it will die down and the family can have peace to grieve.
sunshine

Lubbock, TX

#153 Sep 13, 2010
lawyer wrote:
I just want to know if driver of that car is dead
or alive?
The paper made an error. They said a Beckley man was killed but the only one that died was Chessie.
concerned

Beckley, WV

#154 Sep 13, 2010
I went to liberty high school with her for a while and i think its really heart breaking of what happen.If this fire department had of done there job right there would not be a precious baby girl without a mother. May god be with each and every one of them.
this forum

Beckley, WV

#155 Sep 13, 2010
Mike wrote:
i have reported this topic and they have not deleted it. What is up with that. If those of you who loved Chessie will stop responding, it will die down and the family can have peace to grieve.
this forum is something thought up by the devil and is from hell. it is a way for evil people to keep on and on to hurt good decent people. and don't start saying if I don't like it don't read it, my whole family reads it to make sure someone is not on here saying untrue evil things about one of us so we can have it deleted before it gets spread around by rumor mongers and hate mongers. We need to get a petition together to have this forum destroyed - it is a tool for the evil to do their dirty work. A lot of good people are forced to read to try to get comments removed. It is almost impossible now that they have removed the $19.99 fee, but every now and then they will remove one. We have a case open with Topix and they are actually helping us invesstigate a stalking/harrassment situation. Sorry to bring this up but if you have an attorney write them a letter, they will assist you with an investigation, If this thread continue, I would do just that.,
concerned

Beckley, WV

#156 Sep 13, 2010
OK you resonded to my posting and I was just showing my sympothy for the loss of a great person and what a tragedy it is for this little girl to grow up without her mother. Im sorry that you feel this way...but I kinda know what this little girl is going to have to go through because I myself am growing up without my mother. So not every post is bad. Thank You
this forum

Beckley, WV

#157 Sep 13, 2010
concerned wrote:
OK you resonded to my posting and I was just showing my sympothy for the loss of a great person and what a tragedy it is for this little girl to grow up without her mother. Im sorry that you feel this way...but I kinda know what this little girl is going to have to go through because I myself am growing up without my mother. So not every post is bad. Thank You
no, I was responding to the family who is pleading with people to stop bickering and commenting on the wreck, not to you. Look back and you will see. I had a recent death in my family and it was brought up on another town forum and it broke my families heart to read the bickering and gossip that ensued. Think about people's feeling and how they are grieving and they might not want this discussed on an opne forum. They are real live people with reali live emotions and feelings. That is all I am saying. Thank before you post.
kimmie

United States

#158 Sep 13, 2010
sunshine wrote:
<quoted text>
The paper made an error. They said a Beckley man was killed but the only one that died was Chessie.
There was a man from shady killed in a automobile accident the same weekend he was 28 and he hit a woman and a child and the last I heard the were still in critical condition. His last name was nugent and had just left the methadone clinic.

“this is how it is”

Since: Oct 08

beckley, WV

#159 Sep 13, 2010
you all need to leave Chessie Alone because she was a good girl and her family are great people. You could never ask to meet nicer people than Cristal and Maggie. They are awesome and our family considers them part of our overall "communal" family. Not like that three wives show on channel 41 but like friends that are like "really good Friends of the family" They are great people and didn't deserve what happened to poor lil chessie and certainly don't deserve this Freaking BULL#SHI)

Since: Sep 10

Fayetteville, WV

#160 Sep 13, 2010
Stone_Casters wrote:
I knew Chessie and I will not get on this site and bash her, no matter what my opinions of her were, she deserves to rest in peace. However, for those of you on here blaming her death on Nick Harris, I think you need a reality check. First of all, she made the choice to get in the car knowing he had been drinking and I am pretty sure he will suffer the memory of her death for the rest of his life...I don't think this is a time for blame, even though it may make you feel better, it is not right. Especially those of you quoting the Bible, let he who is without sin cast the first stone......Also everyone has forgotten who the real victim is, and that's Bonnie. It is extremely tragic that this sweet little angel must grow up without her mother, who, regardless of what she did or didn't do in her spare time, was the world to her. Let this be a wake-up call to those of you who participate in similar behavior, take it as a lesson learned, and not a time to cast stones.
I agree DONT let Chessis die in VAIN
3 young adults made a choice that night
One choose to drink and drive
2 choose to get in that car with a drunk driver
from what i gather people who knew them
people was saw them who KNEW them and the state of drunkness all the details of that night ,they so freely share on topic ! NICK was to drunk 2 drive and(so call) friends allowed this to happen anyway .
and people has come froth to speak of how drunk they , he , she was to blame and trash a young 22 year mother these people who call thierself friends WATCHED THEM WALK OUT THAT DOOR .
FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRINK AND DRIVE
cause if they hadent CHESSIE would b here with us in this topic .
Chessie had a voice dont let it die
as her sister wrote dont grive for me cause im free
Nick will never forgive him self I not sure anyone could thats in his shoes
The choices they made has left a long trail of grief,sorrow ,heartbreak a Bonnie motheress
a Nasty taste in one mouth that can never b washed away.
A void that will never b filled
Chessis Loved life
Loved Bonnie
LOVE her family
She Loved Nick
she trusted him
Nick made a horrible descion mistake no one can ever fix
He has a soul 2
Peace be with the family
Peace b to all who was involed
senior citizen

Beckley, WV

#161 Sep 15, 2010
Does anyone know how Nick and Loretta are doing?
Facts

United States

#162 Sep 16, 2010
To WVEMT98 and anyone that does not understand: 1. The Bradley Fire Dept was toned and was on scene within abt 7-9 Min 2. The BPVFD requested mutual aid from Mt Hope Fire for manpower after arriving on scene and sizing up the situation, because YES they needed help (Big Deal). Every Fire Dept around needs help once in a while. 3. Deputy Cpl. JL Redden is who requested Beaver respond to bring some rams to the scene but Right after beaver was toned they got the victim they were working on free and cancelled beaver because they no longer needed the rams. 4. Chief James was not on scene and he is a Great Man who has done wonders for that dept over the years. 5. Finally I want to say that the bradley prosperity vol fire dept is just like any other VOL fire dept, that is struggling for money and volunteers. Instead of all you people on here running your mouths that do not know what your talking about why don't you get off your asses and help a little. Thank You!!! The BPVFD did everything in there power to save the lives of those victims. If u were on scene and paying attention you would have seen that several Firefighters were assisting EMS. After all a firefighters job is to protect life and property, and part of protecting life is saving it you dumbasses! Any Questions?:-)
Get Your FACTS Right

Oak Hill, WV

#163 Sep 16, 2010
To WV_EMT_98 and anyone else that don't understand the facts of what was happening on that wreck on Prosperity Rd 1.BPVFD responded in a timely manner and started assisting EMS with patients on the removal of Patients from the car 2.Mt. Hope was called for manpower. And I agree with FACTS Every fire Dept. needs HELP sometimes on calls(Big Deal)3. Chief James is a good person and has done Wonders with his Fire Dept. over the years. So why does people want to put down emergency workers for doing there job even if they have to call for help on some calls. I just want to say that if you dont't know what your talking about keep your mouth shut!!!! If people would help out as much as running their mouths about something they know nothing about then just maybe they could save a life too!!!!!!!!
curious

Beckley, WV

#164 Sep 16, 2010
for all of us average people who don't know, what are rams?
Firefighter103

Oak Hill, WV

#165 Sep 16, 2010
It's a rescue device that works like a jack to spread thing apart. That are to big of a space for the spreader to be used.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police chase in oak hill 34 min joe pete 2
Anyone know MARISA Winfree 4 hr Thanks 1
Frontier vs Suddenlink 4 hr Serious 2
News Review of King Tut Drive in Located in Beckley,... (Dec '09) 8 hr Sweetie 58
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 9 hr Missy 4,209
Munchies Bar Overcrowded 13 hr Herbert Duboy 16
Raleigh county boe 15 hr John 3

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages