Vote Obama, Save Big Bird

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#1 Oct 5, 2012
The Obama Team is running out of scare tactics, so now he is hiding behind Big Bird. You have to vote for me or mean ole Mitt will take away Big Bird.
Romney should turn it around to show just how government money corrupts everything it touches. Sesame Street is one of the most successful TV enterprises in my adult lifetime, yet they still need government money. I cant imagine that there wouldn't be several networks standing in line to buy the rights to Sesame Street. So Mr President, let Big Bird and Elmo go, they dont deserve to be hostages in your class warfare.

Since: Aug 12

Beckley, WV

#2 Oct 5, 2012
Yellow Dirty Costume is getting OLD- time to retire, heck's you can put Big Bird in the History Books if ya want to. Move on. let's get a real education for a Change and ........... Change the School system.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#3 Oct 6, 2012
Big Bird and all the fixins for Thanksgiving dinner!
Yum,Yum! LMBO!
1 post removed

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#5 Oct 6, 2012
Wait a minute!!!! Obama will start using Bert and Ernie to further his cause. He will probably suggest a marriage for them on Sesame Street. You remember those little whispered rumors about them? Hope Bert understands, Ernie and the rubber ducky are a package deal.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-08-10/n...
LIBERALTILDEATH

Beckley, WV

#6 Oct 6, 2012
So big oil needs 4 billion dollars in subsidies and tax breaks to maintain a 40 billion dollar profit this year yet the FIRST exposure of educational experience our children worldwide get isnt worth a few million dollars. Now that shows the stupidity that is todays republican party.

Location hidden

#7 Oct 6, 2012
Lets see parents can have sales to buy cheerleading outfits, go on trips etc. But they cannot help with fundraisers for PBS. Too much government and not enough parental involvement in educational issues for the children.
And if the democrats decided to do these cuts you would say it was because the republicans did not agree with funding. Which do you want to cut welfare, medicaid, medicare etc or PBS? There has to be sacrifice somewhere. Start with the nonessentials.
businessowner

Lubbock, TX

#8 Oct 6, 2012
Big Bird is a typical liberal. He's 43 years old and makes tens of millions of dollars a year in merchandising but wants the government to pay his way.

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#9 Oct 6, 2012
LMBO!
3 posts removed

Location hidden

#13 Oct 6, 2012
speaking of stupidity wrote:
<quoted text>
good points
Thank you.
Mountaineer

Springfield, NJ

#14 Oct 6, 2012
capitalist pig wrote:
The Obama Team is running out of scare tactics, so now he is hiding behind Big Bird. You have to vote for me or mean ole Mitt will take away Big Bird.
Romney should turn it around to show just how government money corrupts everything it touches. Sesame Street is one of the most successful TV enterprises in my adult lifetime, yet they still need government money. I cant imagine that there wouldn't be several networks standing in line to buy the rights to Sesame Street. So Mr President, let Big Bird and Elmo go, they dont deserve to be hostages in your class warfare.
That's one way of looking at it. I think that either side drawing focus to such a minuscule portion of the federal budget when there are so many bigger, more important issues at stake makes both parties appear trivial.

Since: Aug 12

Beckley, WV

#15 Oct 6, 2012
Oscar- the grouch come on he must be destroying that trash can throwing all kinds of trash out, you know he is soooooooo upset!:)
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#16 Oct 7, 2012
LIBERALTILDEATH wrote:
So big oil needs 4 billion dollars in subsidies and tax breaks to maintain a 40 billion dollar profit this year yet the FIRST exposure of educational experience our children worldwide get isnt worth a few million dollars. Now that shows the stupidity that is todays republican party.
Guess the green energy business needed 90 billion to make their profit.(most of that going to Obama campaign donors and no outcry from the Halibburton Hating crowd) Oh yeah, thats right, they wasted 90 billion and lost money. Have you pulled up to a windmill and filled up your car lately. No you are buying that $4 a gallon Obama gas (1.85 when he took office) Do you really want to discuss energy policy? Now that shows the stupidity that is todays democrat party.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#17 Oct 7, 2012
capitalist pig wrote:
Typical that people post without knowing what they are talking about. Sesame Street and Big Bird don't get government subsidies - that money goes to affiliate stations. So sure, Boston, Chicago, LA and NY will do fine, but local PBS and NPR stations might go bye-bye.$400 million is a waste of money? Okay, then what about the hundred billion in corporate welfare that goes to for-profits each year? How many of the top corporations paid little if any taxes in 2011? How much taxpayer money goes to publicly built stadiums and arenas for billionaire sports team owners? How about the $750,000 the Baseball Hall of Fame got,$500,000 for a Boathouse museum or $1.4 million to study vehicular flywheels or the $27 million to improve the streets around Wal-Mart's HQ?
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#18 Oct 7, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical that people post without knowing what they are talking about. Sesame Street and Big Bird don't get government subsidies - that money goes to affiliate stations. So sure, Boston, Chicago, LA and NY will do fine, but local PBS and NPR stations might go bye-bye.$400 million is a waste of money? Okay, then what about the hundred billion in corporate welfare that goes to for-profits each year? How many of the top corporations paid little if any taxes in 2011? How much taxpayer money goes to publicly built stadiums and arenas for billionaire sports team owners? How about the $750,000 the Baseball Hall of Fame got,$500,000 for a Boathouse museum or $1.4 million to study vehicular flywheels or the $27 million to improve the streets around Wal-Mart's HQ?
Why would you want to point at bad hehavoir to defend bad behavior?
those are all wastes of money also. how many programs are produced and transmitted from your local PBS Station. None. there is a perfectly good studiio sitting out there that is not being used. There are pleny of good PBS programs that could be commercially viable. The others should got th way of the dinosaurs.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#19 Oct 7, 2012
capitalist pig wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to point at bad hehavoir to defend bad behavior?
those are all wastes of money also. how many programs are produced and transmitted from your local PBS Station. None. there is a perfectly good studiio sitting out there that is not being used. There are pleny of good PBS programs that could be commercially viable. The others should got th way of the dinosaurs.
Actually, I would REALLY appreciate Barney going the way of the dinosaurs. I don't think that PBS is a waste of taxpayer dollars,(and yes - I do donate). I think that bonds on arenas and stadiums are. I think that new roads for developers are. I think that tax exemptions for various megachurch operations are. We both know that every one of those costs more annually than PBS gets, and that there is NO chance that RomnObama would touch those or the other examples I've cited. That's why I point at "bad behavior" - not as justification, but because RomnObama and the other Republicrats and Demopublicans don't.
I think that PBS fills a niche that commercial broadcasters either can't or won't, and that if they were beholden to advertisers to the same degree that the other networks are they could not offer the same quality of programming.
how much

Ardsley, NY

#20 Oct 7, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
ok. How much of the money you just listed did Obama stop in his 4 years as president? Huh?
As IF

Washington, DC

#21 Oct 7, 2012
$400 million a year for BS... I mean PBS.

That's the problem, no one wants to cut anything.

Stop over spending if you're in debt!!! Plain and simple!

We need someone in there like Romney that will cut this crap!!
FRACK THIS

Charleston, WV

#22 Oct 7, 2012

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#23 Oct 7, 2012
how much wrote:
<quoted text>
ok. How much of the money you just listed did Obama stop in his 4 years as president? Huh?
It isn't just about Obama. You know as well as I do that the legislature is more infamous for pork barrel politics than the executive branch is. Do you think ANY president could straighten out 535 senators and representatives?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#24 Oct 7, 2012
As IF wrote:
$400 million a year for BS... I mean PBS.
That's the problem, no one wants to cut anything.
Stop over spending if you're in debt!!! Plain and simple!
We need someone in there like Romney that will cut this crap!!
The PBS subsidy is a drop in the bucket. In the case of PBS, that drop benefits a lot of Americans nationwide. Granted, it adds up - but what happens when you try to get the politically and financially affluent to give up some cash? Romney didn't specify those. In fact, he hasn't specifically mentioned any cut in programs, deductions or subsidies that that are friendly with his base - unless you count the ones (like medicare) that WON'T HAPPEN because they are fiscally unsound.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beckley price gouging with high gasoline prices 7 hr Ted 22
What happened to Big Ugly Dave Willis to get ki... 8 hr Curious 4
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 9 hr RSM 4,084
No Tax Cuts to Wall Street and the Rich 13 hr Wayne 10
Kim Jong Un 13 hr Wayne 4
PEPPERS Family Restaraunt (Feb '16) 19 hr I eat there 30
Don't fart in church Sat Benny 5

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance