Boy Scout Hate Group
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Truth

Beckley, WV

#1 Apr 24, 2012
(CNN)-- Jennifer Tyrrell dislikes public speaking so much that when she was in high school, she almost failed marketing because she didn't want to speak in front of the class.

But when the Boy Scouts of America made a decision that hurt her little boy Cruz, she did what any mother would do -- set aside her own fear, spoke up and, with the help of family and friends, is fighting back.

"I've never been involved with any kind of activism or anything like that before, so this is all new to me," the mother of four said. "All I know is this has got to stop."

And by "this," she is referring to the Boy Scouts' policy of banning gays and lesbians from being members or serving as leaders. Earlier this month Tyrrell was forced to resign as den leader of the Tiger Cubs for Pack 109 in Bridgeport, Ohio, because the national office learned she is a lesbian. So even though everyone in the local chapter loved her, she was forced out by the discrimination that is woven into the organization's bylaws.

The cubs of Pack 109 are upset.

But none more than Cruz, who is being forced to be away from his friends and is too young to fully understand why.

He's only 7.

He wasn't brought up to dislike people because they are different.

He's too young to understand bigotry.

I can remember sitting there wondering: What in the hell is wrong with them? The Girl Scouts of America, the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as well as the 4-H Club all welcome gay kids and adult leaders, and none of those organizations bursts into flames.

Needing answers, I reached out to the Boy Scouts and Deron Smith, the organization's director of public relations, sent me an official statement that in part read:

"Our focus is on delivering the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. Our mission does not include teaching young people about sex or sexual orientation, and we do not believe it is Scouting's role to introduce this topic in our youth development program."

Fair enough. So I asked Smith via e-mail if the group had received complaints that Tyrrell was attempting to turn the Scouts into an unofficial sex ed camp.

He didn't answer that question.

When I asked if heterosexuals were banned for being heterosexuals, Smith said, "Heterosexuality does not conflict with Scouting's policy and is not a reason for removal from the program. However, if a leader chose to make it a focus of his or her time with youth they could be removed from the program."

"When I told my son Jen was kicked out because she is gay, he didn't know what was wrong because he thought gay meant happy. He's just devastated."

Don Thomas, who has a grandson in Pack 109, e-mailed me, saying either he or his wife has been to "every cub scout meeting my grandson has attended, also to every function, community event, Salvation Army ringing bells, collection of food for the needy....etc. I do not know where you are getting your information, but never ever has sex been brought up, not in any way shape or form. In fact, I was not aware of Jen even being gay for quite some time.....wasn't an issue or concern."

So again, I sit and wonder: What in the hell is wrong with them?

While it's commendable that Tyrrell is fighting, I'm ticked off that she has to. It's 2012, for heaven's sake. Who, after the zoo-like Casey Anthony trial, still believes being straight automatically makes you a good influence to have around children? Tyrrell is clearly just a good mother, trying to invest in her son. She didn't ask to be den leader a little over a year ago -- she was selected because the pack loves her. She was chosen to be treasurer because everyone trusts her.

Maybe being loved and trusted conflicts with the values of the Boy Scouts, because according to the folks who were actually around Tyrrell, sexual orientation was never added to the handbook. It just doesn't make sense. Then again, bigotry never does.

Welcome to WV, you will do well here.
Just that simple

Beckley, WV

#2 Apr 24, 2012
Policy is Policy and just because someone is gay DOES NOT give them to Right to change Policy.Its time people stopped this gay,lesbian whining.Your NOT NORMAL.Your Perverted in everyway.And NO its NOT an alternative lifestyle its simple WRONG, No different then pedaphilia or objectum sexuality or zoophilia and a host of many other twisted and perverted decisions people get caught up in.No YOU WERE NOT Born that way.YOU Chose it.Was a person born to have sex with cars? trees? animals?toys?whatever? Of course not, and homosexuality is No different.

IF you do NOT like the Boy scouts policy TOUGH...stay away and get out and leave .Or better yet start you own Fag and or Queer club and then do your own thing and pay your own way and whatever, and STOP all this Nonsense and stupidity and whining cause Normal people do not agree with your perversions, its just that simple !!
get of their back

Oak Hill, WV

#3 Apr 24, 2012
the boy scouts is a private group. it is entitled to have its own beliefs and morals. if you don't like what the group stands for, then go away. find yourself a group that stands for what you believe in. idiot. the only hater i see here is the person who posted this. stop hating on other people's beliefs.
jeepers

Beckley, WV

#4 Apr 24, 2012
get of their back wrote:
the boy scouts is a private group. it is entitled to have its own beliefs and morals. if you don't like what the group stands for, then go away. find yourself a group that stands for what you believe in. idiot. the only hater i see here is the person who posted this. stop hating on other people's beliefs.
I agree completely!!! This is the problem we have today! Just because one person thinks its wrong they expect something that has been the same for many years to change just for them!
The Boy Scouts is much better ran than our own government! They stand up for what they believe in and hold strong!
If she doesn't like it, let her start her own twisted gay scout. What makes her think that they should change to fit her lifestyle? I don't get it!
jeepers

Beckley, WV

#5 Apr 24, 2012
Sad thing is, she will file a law suite and win and never work another day of her twisted life! It's crazy!
Truth

Beckley, WV

#6 Apr 25, 2012
I bet all you dumb hillbillies are so glad to have this hate group in Beckley/Oak Hill area.

Ignorance begats ignorance. I'll bet your whole family are bigots. You were raised a bigot.
You raised your children to be bigots. You know its wrong down deep inside, but you continue to act like you have "religious values" that you obviously don't have. You continue to insist your past teachings of hate and intolerance are the only way to believe.
Ignorance can be reversed with teaching. Those that refuse teaching are STUPID. Which are YOU?

Sad, WV - sad.
jeepers

Beckley, WV

#7 Apr 25, 2012
Truth wrote:
I bet all you dumb hillbillies are so glad to have this hate group in Beckley/Oak Hill area.

Ignorance begats ignorance. I'll bet your whole family are bigots. You were raised a bigot.
You raised your children to be bigots. You know its wrong down deep inside, but you continue to act like you have "religious values" that you obviously don't have. You continue to insist your past teachings of hate and intolerance are the only way to believe.
Ignorance can be reversed with teaching. Those that refuse teaching are STUPID. Which are YOU?

Sad, WV - sad.
So what you are saying is that you and your gay community must be accepted or we are a hillbilly or a bigot? We must accept you regardless of what we believe because of how you believe? Because of how we believe we are a hate group? It's always about you! Never about anyone else or how the feel! You people do not care about hurting others that are not gay! You act like the straight owe the gays! You're wrong! It's a choice you've made! Now go on... teach your son how to be a girl and I'll keep teaching my son to be a man.
Tiffany

Oak Hill, WV

#8 Apr 25, 2012
Truth wrote:
I bet all you dumb hillbillies are so glad to have this hate group in Beckley/Oak Hill area.
Ignorance begats ignorance. I'll bet your whole family are bigots. You were raised a bigot.
You raised your children to be bigots. You know its wrong down deep inside, but you continue to act like you have "religious values" that you obviously don't have. You continue to insist your past teachings of hate and intolerance are the only way to believe.
Ignorance can be reversed with teaching. Those that refuse teaching are STUPID. Which are YOU?
Sad, WV - sad.
THANK YOU TRUTH.

I am disgusted at the replies here. I have never been more ashamed of my neighbors. Truth said it al, I have nothing to add. This is a post i am proud to add my real name to.

Score Keeper The Greatest

“Score Keeper Score Keeper”

Level 7

Since: Dec 11

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#9 Apr 25, 2012
I guess sissy gay boys can join the Girl Scouts and Bull Dyke girls can join the Boy Scouts, Problem solved!!! I am so great!!!
disgusted

Oak Hill, WV

#10 Apr 25, 2012
i am disgusted at the gay community trying to force their beliefs on all religions. the majority of religions teach that homosexuality is wrong. people have a right to religion. gays are the biggest haters in the world and they should be put in jail for bullying. gays bully everyone that don't believe it's right to perform homosexual, unnatural acts with their bodies. gays are bullies!
American

Lubbock, TX

#11 Apr 25, 2012
It is a shame how this woman has set her own son up to be hurt the way she has. She was, or should have been, aware of the Boy Scout's policy and still agreed to accept a position in the organization that was against the policy.

She has noone to blame for her son's pain than herself. Of course with liberals it's always someone else's fault. Like jeepers said it's always about them.

Truth, we are what we are. We are not something just because you decide we are and call us names. You believe what you want to believe and we will do the same. Actually it sounds like you are much more filled with hate than anyone else.

Tiffany, if you are so ashamed to be here, there are many roads leading out of this state and you are free to leave on any of them, we will not hold any grudges.
Mountaineer

Beckley, WV

#12 Apr 25, 2012
I've never understood the belief that anyone would ever knowingly CHOOSE to be gay. Sure doesn't seem like it would be an easy life considering the amount of prejudice in our society. Misdirected moral superiority aside, I also don't understand why so many "heterosexuals" feel so threatened by homosexuals of either gender.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#13 Apr 25, 2012
How sad that we have come to a point in this country when standing up for morality and traditional values makes you a hater. The radical gays and other left wing haters think they can intimidate people by calling them names. And they have been very successful at it. Thankfully the Boy Scouts have stood up to them. The Girl Scouts, not so much.
The woman in question is a liar and a horrible example to her son. She knew the postion of the Boy Scouts when she took the position. He son has every right to be a boy scout. No one is denying him the right to be a scout. The Boy Scouts are just not changing their rules for a gay adult.
Old Scout

Lubbock, TX

#14 Apr 25, 2012
On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight. Its been the same from the beginning i learned it that way sixty years ago and still believe in it, if you want to be a Boy Scout you will to.
American

Lubbock, TX

#15 Apr 25, 2012
Mountaineer wrote:
I've never understood the belief that anyone would ever knowingly CHOOSE to be gay. Sure doesn't seem like it would be an easy life considering the amount of prejudice in our society. Misdirected moral superiority aside, I also don't understand why so many "heterosexuals" feel so threatened by homosexuals of either gender.
Narcissistic rebelious behavior. A reprobate mind that desires to draw or recuit others into the same unnatural behaviour.
jeepers

Mooresville, NC

#16 Apr 25, 2012
Old Scout wrote:
On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight. Its been the same from the beginning i learned it that way sixty years ago and still believe in it, if you want to be a Boy Scout you will to.
One question, If the policy has been the same like it has for 60 years why should we have to change policy now because of someone that does not like it? We should not change policy. She knew the policy! She knew this time would come! It's an route to a free ride! The DHHR should be all over her! She knew exactly what she was doing and how this would effect her child and some point. It's sad that she would even put her child through this!
jeepers

Mooresville, NC

#17 Apr 25, 2012
And I am proud to say that the Boy Scouts of "America" still to this day honor God!
1 post removed
Mountaineer

Beckley, WV

#19 Apr 26, 2012
American

Lubbock, TX

#20 Apr 26, 2012
Mountaineer wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ derek-flood/jesus-homosexualit y_b_1442195.html
The first words of ministry spoken by Jesus in the scriptures were, "repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand".

True love is being willing to tell someone that their sin, left unconfessed of, and left unrepented for, will end in eternity spent in Hell. True love loves someone regardless of their lifestyle, however is willing to speak the truth even though it may cost a friendship or even a family relationship.

The world mistakes love as acceptance, and mistakes speaking the truth as hatred. How could I, as one who does believe that homosexuality is a sin, allow someone I love to continue in this sinful lifestyle and not tell them that according to my understanding of the bible that this is putting their very soul in jeopardy?

To make the argument that Jesus never spoke out against homosexuality so he must not have had a problem with it is ridiculous. Don't you belive that He, knowing what had been written in the old testiment, and knowing that this behaviour had without any doubt been condemed that He would have corrected this and voiced His approval. If it had already been condemed, He didn't need to say anything unless He was correcting what had already been written. All scripture is inspired by God and the Word and Jesus are one and the same.
Mountaineer

Beckley, WV

#21 Apr 26, 2012
American wrote:
<quoted text>The first words of ministry spoken by Jesus in the scriptures were, "repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand".

True love is being willing to tell someone that their sin, left unconfessed of, and left unrepented for, will end in eternity spent in Hell. True love loves someone regardless of their lifestyle, however is willing to speak the truth even though it may cost a friendship or even a family relationship.

The world mistakes love as acceptance, and mistakes speaking the truth as hatred. How could I, as one who does believe that homosexuality is a sin, allow someone I love to continue in this sinful lifestyle and not tell them that according to my understanding of the bible that this is putting their very soul in jeopardy?

To make the argument that Jesus never spoke out against homosexuality so he must not have had a problem with it is ridiculous. Don't you belive that He, knowing what had been written in the old testiment, and knowing that this behaviour had without any doubt been condemed that He would have corrected this and voiced His approval. If it had already been condemed, He didn't need to say anything unless He was correcting what had already been written. All scripture is inspired by God and the Word and Jesus are one and the same.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Enterprise Rent A Car (Mar '11) 41 min Wilbur 3
7 WV parks to charge entrance fees 42 min Wilbur 11
Don't fart in the lunch room 43 min Wilbur 4
wanting to buy a female pitbull puppy (Mar '12) 58 min Trainer 181
Rampant Cell Use While Driving in Beckley 1 hr Otto Matic 14
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 17 hr Jon_B 7,114
What happened to Big Ugly Dave Willis to get ki... 17 hr Ghent 5

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages