Bug Ridge
Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#21 Sep 18, 2012
I don't trust any coal company.

After reading Alpha’s new battle plan it sounds like they’re puttin all their eggs in the ” premium Met. coal basket “. That is the toughest mining & market there is, so this appears to be a well planned failure. Alpha has very large legacy environmental costs and probably more to come so beginning to smell like another Patriot Coal bankruptcy scheme in the making.
Football fan

Charleston, WV

#22 Sep 18, 2012
What other market is there? Thermal coal is all but worthless now and after the Massey acquisition Alpha is the largest metalurgical coal supplier in the world. I hate that miners are losing jobs but the market is what it is right now. The met market will be very competitive in the near future and I think alpha is positioning themselves to be at the top. Alpha stock prices have increased 26 percent this month for a reason...
Curious

Beckley, WV

#23 Sep 18, 2012
Can Mudd or Bug please gimme an example of an industry that really values their employees? Y'all seem pretty quick to bash the coal operators. And I'm not about to say they're saints. Don Blankenship is right below Hitler in my opinion. But do you really think any other form of a large, multi million dollar corporation kisses their employees' asses? No. Should we shut em ALL down? Close up coal, banking, autos, everything. Let Obama feed us all. Thats a great idea. I don't understand why youre so obsessed with bashing men who work their asses off to support themselves & their families, instead of all the scumbags in WV who sit with their hand out every month.
I hope

Charleston, WV

#24 Sep 18, 2012
I hope that the young men wake up and realize they need to be prepared for times like this. Union or not if you are not ready this companies like destroying hopes and dreams of their employees and families. SAVE FOR THE LEAN TIMES.
tuff times

Beckley, WV

#25 Sep 18, 2012
football is right sad some are losing there jobs but you cant blame them they have to adjust there business for there market if they leave mines open and not make profit there is goin to be way more then 1200 jobs lost
I was there

Sumerco, WV

#26 Sep 19, 2012
7 good years followed by 7 lean.......SAVE for the Future..Daniel 7
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Hansford, WV

#27 Sep 19, 2012
I was there wrote:
7 good years followed by 7 lean.......SAVE for the Future..Daniel 7
Good advice
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#28 Sep 19, 2012
These mines will probably re-open using contract labor, and $7.50 an hour will be top wages. Don's new firm will probably be one of the contractors.
1 post removed
Anybody heard

Charleston, WV

#30 Sep 19, 2012
Has anyone heard what the meeeting that is going to be about? It's going to be held this Saturday in MADISON,WV at the civic center for Alpha coal rivers east.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#31 Sep 19, 2012
Anybody heard wrote:
Has anyone heard what the meeeting that is going to be about? It's going to be held this Saturday in MADISON,WV at the civic center for Alpha coal rivers east.
No ... But Alpha prolly tell me or MUDD before they would tell any employees ... They like to keep you guys worried & afraid all the time.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#32 Sep 19, 2012
Have heard rumor in my area that Alpha is gonna make changes to benefits, like a major increase in health care premiums that employees pay, cut some other benefits, fewer days off & possibly pay cuts.
Wonder

Charleston, WV

#33 Sep 19, 2012
Bug Ridge wrote:
Have heard rumor in my area that Alpha is gonna make changes to benefits, like a major increase in health care premiums that employees pay, cut some other benefits, fewer days off & possibly pay cuts.
Wonder why you ate worried about old news that doesn't pertain to you

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#34 Sep 19, 2012
Wonder wrote:
<quoted text>Wonder why you ate worried about old news that doesn't pertain to you
Hell, you guys keep sayin that when bad things happen in the coal industry, all the lights will go out & the world will stop ... Shouldn't I be worried?
just sayin

Verner, WV

#35 Sep 19, 2012
I agree with "wonder". If you are an employee, you would have received the papers in the mail just like everyone else. Also, the premium job that shut down is the premium high wall miner job and it's not located near Gilbert. So far the premium jobs at wharncliffe are still working.
just sayin

Verner, WV

#36 Sep 19, 2012
Bug Ridge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell, you guys keep sayin that when bad things happen in the coal industry, all the lights will go out & the world will stop ... Shouldn't I be worried?
I don't mean any disrespect but what does alpha health benefits have to do with you? Why be worried about it if you are not an employee?
Wonder

Charleston, WV

#37 Sep 19, 2012
Not all say that about the lights. More educated than you think. Could care less if I ever had to go back in a mine again. It's a job bud get you one.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#38 Sep 19, 2012
Wonder wrote:
Not all say that about the lights. More educated than you think. Could care less if I ever had to go back in a mine again. It's a job bud get you one.
Been there done that, bub ... Ain't doin it no mo.
hatehilljax

United States

#39 Sep 20, 2012
Bad thing about coal is , its temporary at best . Ive been in the mines for 31 yeara now , mostly union but some non union . I worked for massey in pa at one of the old vesta workings , they were really good to work for . I said it when alpha aquired massey that the mines would go downhill and they are rolling away . Ol don ran alot of coal with alot of men in alot of mines , that is why they succeeded .alpha has to hold a higher profit margin . Men lose jobs with that business model . Unionization is not a saviour or protector . Our new hires would be better off working non union . Cost is the factor of survivability . Lower cost operations , even in the thermal market will survive while higher cost operations do nothing but dewater . Sad fact of mining .
2 posts removed
the new energy source

Charleston, WV

#42 Sep 20, 2012
Our new hope for future is destroying the environment in the states that uses it. The scientist are saying it is worst than coal.

Bug Ridge
Level 1

Location hidden

#43 Sep 20, 2012
hatehilljax wrote:
Bad thing about coal is , its temporary at best . Ive been in the mines for 31 yeara now , mostly union but some non union . I worked for massey in pa at one of the old vesta workings , they were really good to work for . I said it when alpha aquired massey that the mines would go downhill and they are rolling away . Ol don ran alot of coal with alot of men in alot of mines , that is why they succeeded .alpha has to hold a higher profit margin . Men lose jobs with that business model . Unionization is not a saviour or protector . Our new hires would be better off working non union . Cost is the factor of survivability . Lower cost operations , even in the thermal market will survive while higher cost operations do nothing but dewater . Sad fact of mining .
The whole matter is the perfect recipe for DISASTER!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why do black men prefer white women? (May '14) 7 hr Grannie NumNums 1,081
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 8 hr Nosy Rosie 4,484
Are there any new businesses that just opened u... 9 hr Nope 5
Impeach Trump: Sign this petition. 9 hr Closed Borders 4 ... 33
Cheating men 15 hr Yep 7
Dr. M Rahim MD (Jan '12) Tue Msdarlin 24
Beckley WV GAS PRICES Tue gas buddy 14

Beckley Jobs

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages