First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned Wife

Pineville, WV

#1 Sep 18, 2012
Has anyone heard what mines is closing exactly and what ones are laying off?

“Pro Union - Enviro Vigilante”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Craigsville , WV

#2 Sep 18, 2012
Concerned Wife wrote:
Has anyone heard what mines is closing exactly and what ones are laying off?
http://www.wsaz.com/breaking/home/Alpha-Layof...
cgi_46

Alderson, WV

#3 Sep 18, 2012
Alpha Natural Resources Closing 8 Coal Mines, Cutting 1200 Jobs:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-09-18/alp...
Panda

Beckley, WV

#4 Sep 18, 2012
That article gave no information about WHICH mines were laying off. Does anyone have any REAL information?
sadd

Mount Hope, WV

#5 Sep 18, 2012
guess that tv series (repo man) gonna start filming shows in s. wva now. them big jacked up 4 wheel drives gonna be cheap now! hell, who can afford gas for them anyway?
mana

New York, NY

#6 Sep 18, 2012
Panda wrote:
That article gave no information about WHICH mines were laying off. Does anyone have any REAL information?
WOAY said that the locations will not be announced until all workers are notified. Also said those locations will be shut down permanently.
earl jr

Gilbert, WV

#7 Sep 18, 2012
WHY is alpha layinoff they got all the permits to run all the coal they want.it election time and they want romney in office.nice try though.earl ray tomblin got the permits passed for all mines
so why all the lay offs.romney's tax reasons
bad news bearer

Belfry, KY

#8 Sep 18, 2012
As bad as the announced layoff are, and will be, by the end of the month they will seem sweet!

Wait until earl, don, and jim, hold thier press conference, and announce the new owners of a large portion of alpha's coal reserves.
This acquistion will be funded by the taxpayers of wv. Good news is they will be hiring, bad news is it will be at 1/2 the current wage rate with no benefits.
I ask that you wait until oct. 1st before calling me a liar, crazy, insane, or stupid.
earl jr

Gilbert, WV

#9 Sep 18, 2012
bad news bearer wrote:
As bad as the announced layoff are, and will be, by the end of the month they will seem sweet!
Wait until earl, don, and jim, hold thier press conference, and announce the new owners of a large portion of alpha's coal reserves.
This acquistion will be funded by the taxpayers of wv. Good news is they will be hiring, bad news is it will be at 1/2 the current wage rate with no benefits.
I ask that you wait until oct. 1st before calling me a liar, crazy, insane, or stupid.
oh you are correct this is what don blankenship does best.he's busting the unions all up.after the 29 deaths good ol dons back in full force./and cutting the $ to 1/2.its don and alpha.nothing to do with obama
hello

Barberton, OH

#10 Sep 18, 2012
We just heard that announcements will be made at 4:30 today.
Ill post here if I hear anything definite, please do the same everyone.

“Score Keeper Score Keeper”

Level 7

Since: Dec 11

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#11 Sep 18, 2012

“Pro Union - Enviro Vigilante”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Craigsville , WV

#12 Sep 18, 2012
bad news bearer wrote:

HORDES OF LOCUSTS!! Sounds so damn far fetched that you are prolly right. Prolly open UBB mine back up, Joe Manchin would bless it & WVDEP give em all the permits they want.

“Score Keeper Score Keeper”

Level 7

Since: Dec 11

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#13 Sep 18, 2012
http://www.wvgazette.com/News/MiningtheMounta... This explains much of what is going on.
just sayin

Gilbert, WV

#14 Sep 18, 2012
found this on another topix page
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/big-stone-gap...
it gives the names of the closings

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#15 Sep 18, 2012
Layoffs starting in WV are as follows......

Alloy Deep mine near Powellton.

Alloy Surface mine near Boomer.

Premium High wall mine near Gilbert.

White Flame surface mine near Wharncliffe
Football fan

United States

#16 Sep 18, 2012
Didn't tell us what mines were being idled only that we (coal river west) were not affected. At least not yet.
hello

Barberton, OH

#17 Sep 18, 2012
Thank you!
Football fan

United States

#18 Sep 18, 2012
Not sure how the rest of alpha employees found out about the layoffs coming Today but we were informed through various aspects of the media today and not our friggin company whom we work for!!! My wife new that alpha was laying off 1200 today before me!!! Don't know about everyone else but I call bullshit on that. Not like it was top secret information seeing as every news statio in wv announced it before 8AM. I guess the lowely piss ons don't need to be in the know.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#19 Sep 18, 2012
If you havent figured out by now that these coal companies dont actually give a ratts azz about you miners to begin with, you never will. You'll be there slave forever. Wait till they start dropping retirement benefits for all your azz bustin that made them rich.
Football fan

Charleston, WV

#20 Sep 18, 2012
DrMUDD wrote:
If you havent figured out by now that these coal companies dont actually give a ratts azz about you miners to begin with, you never will. You'll be there slave forever. Wait till they start dropping retirement benefits for all your azz bustin that made them rich.
News flash genius...most companies people work for could give two shits about there employees outside of you coming in and doing your damn job. I am complaining only because I felt we should have known before the general public! As far as me making them rich lol, isn't the point of working for someone to better both the employee and employer? Alpha pays me a ridiculous amount of money to do what I do and even though Im not ever going to be "rich" I also don't want or hurt for anything. What's the matter you bitter over being layed off?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 27 min Dalai Lama 58,163
Dr Lindley 1 hr KarmaKid 4
Tennant-Capito Debate 1 hr Lesson Learned 54
The Roosevelt series on PBS 2 hr Lesson Learned 8
Little General Stores 3 hr Just Curious 3
Jimmy Carter wants to destroy ISIL/ISIS? 3 hr Sam Brown 2
Raleigh General Hospital is AWFUL (Sep '10) 4 hr nonya 164
Murder in Maxwell Hill 5 hr Shame 42
Lewis Nissan is for sale 18 hr boom 16
•••
•••
•••

Beckley Jobs