Since: Jun 10

Topix

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

I can't allow the end of Black History Month to come any closer without at least a small word of recognition from me here.

My favorite hymn, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand", was written by Reverend Thomas Andrew Dorsey, the father of gospel music, after having lost his wife in childbirth with their tiny son following her two days later.

I'd played just about every version of it that I could find on YouTube the night before my friend Fess made his last visit to the hospital before he died. I had forgotten all about that until tonight when I was drawn to listen to it again.

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home

When my way grows drear
Precious Lord linger near
When my life is almost gone
Hear my cry, hear my call
Hold my hand lest I fall

When the darkness appears
And the night draws near
And the day is past and gone
At the river I stand
Guide my feet, hold my hand

Lead me on, let me stand
I'm tired, I'm weak, I'm lone
Lead me on to the light

Here is a real extra special video of Reverend Dorsey during which he discusses, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand".

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Happy Black History Month!
timothy bathwater

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Why isn't there a white history month?? Seems kinda racist to me...
Christian

Delmont, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

hourglass wrote:
I can't allow the end of Black History Month to come any closer without at least a small word of recognition from me here.
My favorite hymn, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand", was written by Reverend Thomas Andrew Dorsey, the father of gospel music, after having lost his wife in childbirth with their tiny son following her two days later.
I'd played just about every version of it that I could find on YouTube the night before my friend Fess made his last visit to the hospital before he died. I had forgotten all about that until tonight when I was drawn to listen to it again.
Lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Lead me on to the light
When my way grows drear
Precious Lord linger near
When my life is almost gone
Hear my cry, hear my call
Hold my hand lest I fall
When the darkness appears
And the night draws near
And the day is past and gone
At the river I stand
Guide my feet, hold my hand
Lead me on, let me stand
I'm tired, I'm weak, I'm lone
Lead me on to the light
Here is a real extra special video of Reverend Dorsey during which he discusses, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand".
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Happy Black History Month!
. Beautiful song...thank you.
Dr Gizmo

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Hourglass, you have taken me back to the days when my Mother would set at the piano and play the songs of Fanny Crosby, those days will never be forgotten, Thank you!. Reverend Thomas Dorsey may have been the Father of gospel music, But, I believe Ms Crosby touched the hearts and lives of more people in the world than any other Gospel music composer. Although Ms Crosby was blind gave her the knowledge to write so many of the heart touching, heart warming Hymns. In many Churches throughout Bible belt you will find dozens of Ms Crosby's Hymns in the songs books. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. Doc
Bill-y

Lincolnton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Dr Gizmo wrote:
Hourglass, you have taken me back to the days when my Mother would set at the piano and play the songs of Fanny Crosby, those days will never be forgotten, Thank you!. Reverend Thomas Dorsey may have been the Father of gospel music, But, I believe Ms Crosby touched the hearts and lives of more people in the world than any other Gospel music composer. Although Ms Crosby was blind gave her the knowledge to write so many of the heart touching, heart warming Hymns. In many Churches throughout Bible belt you will find dozens of Ms Crosby's Hymns in the songs books. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. Doc
I have listened to many gospel songs and in my opinion the black groups are far superior to white groups.

P.S.--you will grow to love Hourglass as I do. I cried when I heard of Fess's death and the effects of it on her. The lady has been through so much but remained steadfast to the end.

Billy

“Let's Go And SeeThe Stars, ”

Level 8

The Milky Way Or Even Mars

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Hourglass,

Thank you for that beautiful song. I did not realize that Fess had passed. I'm so sorry. I think that you are an amazing person to have done what you did for him. I don't know many details except for the few posts that I read. You gave selflessly in his care. May you find peace and harmony in your life.

“i Support Israel”

Since: Aug 12

Beckley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

This is a wonderful post ....Thank you.....and Thank you Precious Lord!!!
Well

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

This was one of my blessed mother's favorite hymns. She was named after the patron saint of music, and she had a beautiful singing voice. Hymns and spirituals were her favorite type of music; they gave her strength and comfort. They grew the faith that she passed down to me.
Casey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing this Hourglass.

Topix

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Hello everybody. You're welcome, and thank you back to y'all as well. Thank you for the very sweet sentiments you expressed also, Billy. Luv ya! And thank you, Faerydust. If you recall someone that used to post on here as Tall Cotton, well, that had been Fess. Among other things he was a poet, and he had written that poem I'd sent to you about the mountain nymphs. While going through his belongings I came across a book of his poetry and some of it is so profound, having to do with his imminent demise. Love and blessings to all of you and I hope that everyone has a good evening.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Beckley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••