Kole

Beckley, WV

#1 Aug 11, 2012
I just recently moved to Beckley from a nearby county. I immediately noticed the water quality here seems to be terrible. It looks and smells like my water is FULL of bleach. When I fill the washing machine with plain cold water it burns my nose, & the same with the bathtub. The water has a yellow tinge to it like its had a half bottle of bleach just dumped into it. I feel awful bathing my kids in this. I've put water filters in the faucets & now I'm buying only bottled water to drink - which is very expensive & not something I had to do before moving here. Should I call Beckley Water & complain or is everyone's water like this?

“I pity the fool...”

Level 3

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Aug 11, 2012
It is all like that...stinks! Someplaces are worse too than Beckley..
Love it

Beckley, WV

#3 Aug 11, 2012
I've always loved the water in Beckley. Lived in many countries and different states and it has been the best. Maybe it is something in your neighborhood?
H2OMG

Beckley, WV

#4 Aug 11, 2012
Skip buying individual bottles of water or Desani/Aquafina bottle cases. Buy gallon jugs. They last longer than you think. I hate recommending them but walmart sells 3 gallon boxes for like 2.50$.

As one person. I use the water to brush teeth, cook with, make drinks such as koolaid and coffee with. Using it like that I go through about roughly 6-9 gallons at absolute max a month. 7$ a month for clean, rest assured drinking water isnt bank breaking. Family of four would likely only increase it to no more than 12-15 max. Again 12.50 isnt horrible for how much and what youre getting.

Also it comes in handy especially when the unforeseen comes up and lose water service for a few days you already have that stockpile and dont try to rush walmart for valued commodity.

As for the smell, havent noticed it, but I wouldnt. I know my water on occasion has an orangish rusty looking sediment to it, though it is pretty faint. Doesnt seem to kill plants. But the smell is likely over saturation of fluoride and chlorine

Beckleys water system in parts of the town are over 100 years old (1908). and on top of that Beckley is a town on top of a mountain with the closest natural body of standing water steeply down hill and of limited capacity. Surprised the town doesnt have more of a water crisis actually. Further you get away from "old town" Beckley like around prince street, Neville street, Kanawha, North and South, Fayette, etc the lower the quality of water.

Does suck having to pay for the same thing twice so to speak, but god forbid anyone suggest fixing the problem as the second someone brings up the cost all the NeoCons here will flip out over governmental waste and how you moochers need to stop getting your free ride on their dime, which is likely why its still an issue and why we have 100+ year old pipes in places.
Yeah

New York, NY

#5 Aug 12, 2012
So basically what you're saying is the entire city's water is terrible. I assume that. And it's system is in dire need of repair. So if Beckley Water can't take care of its water then sell it. Fayetteville had a town owned water system that was pumping sub par water and there were constant leaks and line breaks. They had to sell to WV American Water, who came & fixed the lines & the water quality drastically improved too. Sounds like what needs to happen in Beckley.
Mountaineer

Beckley, WV

#6 Aug 12, 2012
I've always thought Beckley water tastes great. No overwhelming bleach smell/content in our neighborhood.
aww

Beckley, WV

#7 Aug 12, 2012
Same here. I love the water at my house, always have. Curious though, for those who like their water, what area do you live in? Maxwell Hill here.
informed citizen

Mount Hope, WV

#8 Aug 13, 2012
Anyone else having water issues? Discolored water or more than usual odor of bleach? Don't want you to put your address here, but could you provide a neighborhood..

Beckley's water supply does not come from the same reservoirs. Maybe we can find a link to determine where the "bad" water is originating.
HHO

United States

#9 Aug 13, 2012
Just wait, and in the winter months, Beckley Water gets milky and has a greasy taste to it.
We used to have great water but Stanley seems to be stuffing the money in his pockets. Beckley Water sucks now.
plumsmuggler

Beckley, WV

#10 Aug 13, 2012
Its probably your water heater. Get it checked, might be rusted or contaminated.
Kole

Beckley, WV

#11 Aug 13, 2012
Thanks for the info. My husband said it could be the water heater causing the color, but it's only 2 years old. & the cold water is also yellowish & smells like bleach. I live in the Maxwell Hill area. Since this is away from "old town" could that be the reason? I hope that it's something that could be fixed.
lovin it

Beckley, WV

#12 Aug 13, 2012
informed citizen wrote:
Anyone else having water issues? Discolored water or more than usual odor of bleach? Don't want you to put your address here, but could you provide a neighborhood..
Beckley's water supply does not come from the same reservoirs. Maybe we can find a link to determine where the "bad" water is originating.

I live close to the Raliegh county library and our water normally tastes great. About once a month though I notice the " bleach" smell. I figure they just treated it, because its gone within 2-3 days. But my water is other wise just fine.
mabscott

Beckley, WV

#13 Aug 13, 2012
we moved into the mabscott area a few months back & our water always has a rotten egg smell and has a yellow tint to it , I know it's not a problem at our house because our neighbors is the same way
James

Beckley, WV

#14 Aug 13, 2012
Kole wrote:
Thanks for the info. My husband said it could be the water heater causing the color, but it's only 2 years old. & the cold water is also yellowish & smells like bleach. I live in the Maxwell Hill area. Since this is away from "old town" could that be the reason? I hope that it's something that could be fixed.
Id check your water heater and/or pipes? I have no issues with the water in Maxwell Hill. Sorry you do.=/
mmm

Beckley, WV

#15 Aug 13, 2012
good ol sulfer water in mabsott. ick.
John66

New York, NY

#16 Aug 13, 2012
Yes, the water does taste and smell like bleach water. I live 2 miles from town and the water tastes awful. To think I pay more than 30 bucks a month for this crap
HUTCH

United States

#17 Aug 13, 2012
mabscott wrote:
we moved into the mabscott area a few months back & our water always has a rotten egg smell and has a yellow tint to it , I know it's not a problem at our house because our neighbors is the same way
MABSCUM WATER TASTES LIKE THE YELLOW BELLIED COWARDS THAT RUN RADAR THERE.

ITS A CORRUPT TOWN. IF you choose to live in Mabscum, you deserve shit for water, since your government is shit corrupt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cigarette withdrawal (help) 23 min cigs suck for air 4
Lewis Nissan is for sale 30 min Fred Flintstone 23
ATV Parts Plus/ Village Idiots 34 min Fred Flintstone 9
Why do black men like white women? 36 min Jackie Withrow 6
Anyone know Leigh Hylton ? 5 hr DIRTY ROTTEN OLD MAN 15
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 8 hr Nikki1999 58,274
Go MAVEN 8 hr spacecadet 1
why do black men prefer white women? 12 hr Paki Lad 209
Murder in Maxwell Hill Sep 19 Shame 42
•••
•••
•••

Beckley Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE