Big1

Oak Hill, WV

#23 Oct 10, 2012
_brian wrote:
<quoted text>The Coal operators used to provide schooling for the miners children back in the days of coal camps. Greedy miners though unionized and slapped these gracious employers in the face and naturally the camps are no more.
Just another example of unionization ruining this country
If you think coal camps were great you don't know what you are talking about. Company stores , the only place you can spend their company money, jacked up prices. A lot of miners would work untill payday and ows the company more than his payday. You show me someone who ever liver in a coal camp and said anythimg good about it and I will show you a fool.

“i Support Israel”

Since: Aug 12

Beckley

#24 Oct 10, 2012
Calm down everyone....... Coal is needed.... STILL, however there is a war on coal and that is why the changes are being made...... Stay Strong..... know.... and be proud of the job you do is IS necessary ! And will be for a while, support each other.... times will be hard for a while ,..... be prepared . Help one another you are a huge family , it is not because u as a person haven't done enough because you have many times over...... things are changing, and have been for a while, but it will get better, Stand Strong.
Proud UMWA member

Hurricane, WV

#25 Oct 11, 2012
Even the Walmart employees are starting to stand up for their rights.You guys need to stand up and let your voices be heard.
1 post removed
REALLY

Beckley, WV

#27 Oct 11, 2012
Barb wrote:
My husband has worked for Kingston for over 18 years and yes the changes are horrible...The company is ran just like Massey...Coal is not outdated by any means, its our elected officals that are killing the coal business...Please be sure to VOTE this year and save our COAL jobs...we have other countries buying our COAL because other countries are SMARTER than the TREE HUGGERS of the United States...What kind of jobs are offered in WV that pay as much as a miner makes?? NOTHING??? Save our COAL jobs and VOTE!!
This is what makes me mad.. People act like if Romney gets in everything will be great... Republicans are Pro life not pro choice well I ask you when bush was in office did he do away with Abortion? Did he do away with Medicare medicaid welfare... NO He sat there and the country ran itself into the ground. He let banks approve loans for anyone with no credit discretion. Now obama has came in and straightened everything up. He killed bin laden and Saved GM. When romney gets in is he going to go and change the price of coal back to 300 a ton? is he going to end abortion??? NO he is not. The information about coal is out there everyone knows its not the way to go and Whether romney or obama is in there neither is going to be able to save coal. we were selling dirt at the price of diamonds and now the world knows all we have is dirt. they are not going to all of a sudden start paying diamond prices again.
Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Beckley, WV

#28 Oct 11, 2012
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what makes me mad.. People act like if Romney gets in everything will be great... Republicans are Pro life not pro choice well I ask you when bush was in office did he do away with Abortion? Did he do away with Medicare medicaid welfare... NO He sat there and the country ran itself into the ground. He let banks approve loans for anyone with no credit discretion. Now obama has came in and straightened everything up. He killed bin laden and Saved GM. When romney gets in is he going to go and change the price of coal back to 300 a ton? is he going to end abortion??? NO he is not. The information about coal is out there everyone knows its not the way to go and Whether romney or obama is in there neither is going to be able to save coal. we were selling dirt at the price of diamonds and now the world knows all we have is dirt. they are not going to all of a sudden start paying diamond prices again.
Wow, you are exactly right on this. Well said.
Proud UMWA member

Oak Hill, WV

#29 Oct 11, 2012
Proud UMWA member wrote:
Even the Walmart employees are starting to stand up for their rights.You guys need to stand up and let your voices be heard.
Yes, like the umw has been standing up for its rank and file, see where that has gotten it. Low membership, less representation, no confidence. Remember, the umw is for its overpaid bigshots, they continue to get their benefits and pay, while many rank and file that lost their jobs lost much more and the umw stood by mute.
Proud UMWA member

Oak Hill, WV

#30 Oct 11, 2012
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like all this has happened under obama as well? And will continue under a second term if he gets it?
hmm

Roanoke, VA

#31 Oct 11, 2012
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama didnt kill bin laden.. our troops did. so i thought i would just clear that up.
nemesis

Charleston, WV

#32 Oct 13, 2012
I lived in a Coal Camp, and I can tell you for a fact that the Teachers taught what the Coal Operators wanted them to. They didn't dare offend the Mine Superintendent that lived on the hill over-looking the town. They also had spies among the workers who reported anyone who talked Union.
Proud UMWA member

Oak Hill, WV

#33 Oct 13, 2012
nemesis wrote:
I lived in a Coal Camp, and I can tell you for a fact that the Teachers taught what the Coal Operators wanted them to. They didn't dare offend the Mine Superintendent that lived on the hill over-looking the town. They also had spies among the workers who reported anyone who talked Union.
Work at a union shop today, the same stuff is going on, rats and snitches sucking up to either bosses or union thugs. Same old game.
informed citizen

Beckley, WV

#34 Oct 13, 2012
Big1 wrote:
<quoted text> If you think coal camps were great you don't know what you are talking about. Company stores , the only place you can spend their company money, jacked up prices. A lot of miners would work untill payday and ows the company more than his payday. You show me someone who ever liver in a coal camp and said anythimg good about it and I will show you a fool.
I recently talked with someone who had worked in a local company store during the coal camp era. I specifically asked if you had to only use script in the company store and he said NO. You could take your money, but he did add that bosses who withdrew too much money were admonished to spend some at the company store.

Back in those days many did not have cars to drive to town. The company store was convenient and it did cost more than going out to find the best deal. It was the era's "credit card" and many spent more than their weekly wage could support.
informed citizen

Beckley, WV

#35 Oct 13, 2012
nemesis wrote:
Give some examples of what the operators ordered to be taught that would not normally be part of a regular school curriculum..I want to fact check this with some old-timers.
1 post removed
informed citizen

Beckley, WV

#37 Oct 13, 2012
Many of my relatives grew up in coal camps. I've never heard one of them mention any studies other than the basics and what one would normally expect to "learn" in school. AND most speak fondly of their communties and coal camp life. I guess every era had their malcontents. Those who only wanted to work a few days and lie to the company doc for their excuse or whatever. Life was tough, pay was low, but most were glad for work and homes to raise their families. There was a company doctor, entertainment, schools, barbershops and churches. Listen to some folks and you'd think it was all BAD. It wasn't or at least I've never gotten that impression from my coal mining relatives. Get them talking about their mine and community and they'll talk your ear off.
informed citizen

Beckley, WV

#38 Oct 13, 2012
Written back-up for my previous statement concerning script and actual cash for pay.

"However, according to Crandall Shifflett in his study of coal towns in Southern Appalachia, there is no evidence that miners were "forced to draw their pay in scrip. "(51) On payday a miner could draw scrip or cash or both, the choice was his."

The scrip system seemed to be something that served both miner and operator well and, except in rare cases, neither took undue advantage of the other.

The company store served many other functions besides grocery store. It was the community bulletin board, a place where housewives gathered to discuss meals, children, and neighborhood gossip . Often the payroll window was set up in the store, so that miners gathered there on Friday afternoons to collect their pay. "Records were kept there; a miner's time, attendance, number of cars loaded that week, rent, light and coal deductions, doctor's fees and scrip advances." (55) Offices of company management were usually located in the company store, as was the U. S. Post Office serving that community. In essence, the company store was a place of community, where neighbors and friends came together without the formal organization of church or lodge or school.

Mining families are nearly unanimous about the difference the presence of the union made in their lives and their communities. When FDR signed the NIRA into being, men could, for the most part, stop hiding while trying to organize their unions. Pauline Miller, whose husband was a coal miner in Terry, West Virginia says that when the general manager found out the men had been hiding to organize he told them, "I don't want to hear of you hiding around to organize your union. Pick whatever building you want to. Go on into it, and organize. I'm not against your union." (79)

A lot more to read - hope folks will take the time:

http://www.wvculture.org/history/wvhs1503.htm...
1 post removed
Sam Slick

Beckley, WV

#40 Oct 13, 2012
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
Really just a couple of questions for you. 1 What caliber of gun did obama use to kill bin laden? 2 Did obama use his own bank account to bail out GM? Obama did not kill ben laden It was Seal Team Six and all their support groups. With operations that were started under the Bush administration. Obama did not bail out GM. Chrysler The tax payers did. That is you and I and millions of others. So lets put the credit were the credit is due shall we.
Sam Slick

Beckley, WV

#41 Oct 13, 2012
GOD Bless Coal People !!!
Mine Safety A Priority

Chula Vista, CA

#42 Oct 13, 2012
You guys bash Obama for being anti-coal....BUT Romney will allow the mine owners to ignore every safety regulation and safety concerns expresed by the mioners. Yes, Romney wins, you got your jobs but everyday that you walk into the mines will feel like it might be your last day on this planet AN IT WELL MIGHT BE. Romney wins, invest in coffins because your safety concerns will not be heard and the mines become more hazardous to work in.
informed citizen

Beckley, WV

#43 Oct 13, 2012
Mine Safety A Priority wrote:
You guys bash Obama for being anti-coal....BUT Romney will allow the mine owners to ignore every safety regulation and safety concerns expresed by the mioners. Yes, Romney wins, you got your jobs but everyday that you walk into the mines will feel like it might be your last day on this planet AN IT WELL MIGHT BE. Romney wins, invest in coffins because your safety concerns will not be heard and the mines become more hazardous to work in.
How's those gas prices? Come down yet? How's it feel to live in a state that regulations has bankrupted? A state losing businesses and population - more people moving out than moving in.

Coal has regulations and more than enough agencies to keep things under control. Worry about your own state.
Canary in the Coal Mine

Chula Vista, CA

#44 Oct 13, 2012
You are misinformed....population is increasing. I would rather than pay a slightly higher price for coal and have our miners safe. I do not see these men as a replaceable business asset nor as the bottom line as top priority. When the coal mine owners are millionaires and billionaires and mine safety is ignored...something is wrong. I will always be vocal for the safety of miners. .
Former kingston man

Beckley, WV

#45 Oct 13, 2012
coalminer wrote:
I would Like to Start Off Talking About Kingston Employees. We Had 100% Insurance We Worked 5 And 6 Days A Week, 40hrs plus overtime.
Everyone Got Along Great We Were like Family brothers best friends witch we still are.
we would have cookouts fish outtings music, And even gas Card on Drawing or the best saftey slogan, Are 401k's was great earning money like we should.
We was running coal like we should and safe.
Now To Alpha That took Us Over, Alpha Bot Massey After they took over Kingston,
We Got Our Insurance Took Away from 100% to 90/10 and they also just changed it again causing us to pay more.
Next They took our Gas Bonus's. Then They Took Our Christmas Bonus, then taking our coal bonus and saftey bonus.
Then What Haapens Afte All This You Say, Well Alpha Shuts Down Al These Massey Mines Then Start Relocating The Men To Kingston,
These Guys Were Massey Men Dont forget this,
They Was On Some Kind Of Contract With Massey! Well When Alpha Took Over They Some How Carried That contract for Massey Men.
Now They Are All working At Kingston Gettiing High pay and getting there $1500 christmas bonus and plus a safety bonus.
There Vacation They get $1500 bonus.
They keep there high paying jobs on a contract while kingston men that have been there for 5 and 13 yrs get everything cut out.
we are no longer to have overtime and at the 1st of the year there going to deduct are pay while massey men are still under contract till september 2013!!!
Now that we got that out of the way, Don Blankenship Has Bot 3 mines In Kentucky From Alpha, He Has Been Making trips to china for coal sales.
He has been talking with Alpha So he can get his foot back in the door, Some say he had 2yrs after the upper big branch mine Explosive,
He has now got his foot in the door with Alpha and he will buy alpha out, Alot of Alpha ceo's vice presidents Has retired from alpha.
We at kingston Have been Done Wrong, We think once they do a big layoff that they will Get Rid Of All of Kingston Employees That have been there
for yrs becasue they will not be able to get rid of Massey Men Becasue Of there Contract Till September 2013.
When This Happens We Will Be Looking For Good lawyers To Fight Back. This Is just not 1 kingston Manw This Is all Of Us.
How Come Kingston Employess Did'nt Get to keep their Bonus's we was Foundation Coal and Riverton Coal Now Alpha+Massey with nothing.
We All At Kingston Has Suffered much from Alpha+massey, This Is why I am Publishing This To The News Papers Media All over the world so
people will know how Alpha+massey Treats us. Don Blankenship Also Going To Make Top pay in the Mines $15.00 dollars an hour. This Mad Man
Needs To Be Stoped His Should Not Be able to run another coal company In the United States.
Thank You For Reading
Former Kingston Coal Miners.
I think its massey with a new name. That is how there getting by with what they are doing... I worked at brock mining at kingston in the 90s and they were good for a small company...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rahall-Jenkins House race remains tight 2 min Randall 37
It's All Obama's Fault. 9 min aka 10
Beckley pediatrics 16 min Momma too 8
Thick 17 min true that b 3
550 WV miners that CANT blame Mr O Rahall EPA o... 23 min aka 3
Public Servant "Green Gambling" 38 min Not Good 1
Mullins plan.....does anyone know? 48 min Lookin Bad 66
"Ebola" - Obama and the CDC 1 hr Lesson Learned 55
Jeff Mullins And A Coach's Overheard Comment 1 hr vote Mullins 31
why do black men prefer white women? 2 hr truth 281