Woman asking for gas money
sweet heart

Oak Hill, WV

#61 Jul 29, 2010
same gray car lady came to me outside wallmart i
gave her one penny because iam just religious and my
parent taught me not to turn away begging hand . i knew she look drugie if i see her again she will get penny again.
Planks

Charleston, WV

#62 Jul 29, 2010
who is that dude that always asks for gas money in walmart and krogers parking lot while riding around in his Truck with the engine running. Saying he has to get back to lewisburg or rainelle I bet he has asked me for money 10 times.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Level 1

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#63 Jul 29, 2010
Planks wrote:
who is that dude that always asks for gas money in walmart and krogers parking lot while riding around in his Truck with the engine running. Saying he has to get back to lewisburg or rainelle I bet he has asked me for money 10 times.
Maybe he couldn't start his truck again if he turned it off.

A local rock radio station conducted a "test" out on an interstate off-ramp to a busy intersection. They had a crusty looking guy selling newspapers at the stop sign for a few days. They then had the same crusty guy just panhandling, begging for hand-outs, at the same place. And only for a few hours in the morning, until rush hour had calmed down.(The crusty guy was a radio station employee)

The crusty beggar, in the end, netted more money (several hundreds of dollars) than the crusty salesman and didn't have to deal with

acquiring a product to sell, handle the inventory, merchandise the product, or dispose of any waste materials. Timely arrival and departure from the "job site" was clearly up to their own discretion.

Of course, neither crusty had to pay applicable taxes, acquire permits, comply with company or corporate dress code OR get screened and tested for health and safety compliance.
I have no idea how they got to or from their "job site". My good guess is it wasn't a bus or hitch-hiking.

Crap.....I think I'll just quit my job tonight.
Sounds sweet...and I could get crusty by simply going fishing when I was done.....in preparation for the next day's work.

Hope and change. Hope and change.
Hey

Oak Hill, WV

#64 Jul 29, 2010
she probally is just trying to get money for some pills
LordHaveMercy

Mount Hope, WV

#65 Jul 29, 2010
sounds like a pill head trying to get a fix
hey

Oak Hill, WV

#66 Jul 29, 2010
LordHaveMercy wrote:
sounds like a pill head trying to get a fix
i agree
1 post removed
hey

Oak Hill, WV

#68 Jul 29, 2010
hey hey wrote:
<quoted text>
yep me too
well thanks for being so agreeable.

“A.K.A dirt loving hippy”

Level 4

Since: May 08

Beckley WV

#69 Jul 30, 2010
I call it tithing, and I do absoultely everything I can for people, whether they ask or not. I help bag the groceries of strangers, pick up hitch hikers, give money to people who ask, let people out in traffic, talk to people who are upset.... whatever I can do. Call me a chump, I don't care if they use the money for alcohol: it is an addiction after all. If I suspect they have a drug or alcohol problem, I try to talk to them, tell them they are worth more than that, probably doesn't help, but that's ok. I just like to help, It's my thing. Hopefully, someone will help my child like I helped someone else's.

“Let's Go And SeeThe Stars, ”

Level 8

Since: Jun 10

The Milky Way Or Even Mars

#70 Jul 30, 2010
punkpet wrote:
I call it tithing, and I do absoultely everything I can for people, whether they ask or not. I help bag the groceries of strangers, pick up hitch hikers, give money to people who ask, let people out in traffic, talk to people who are upset.... whatever I can do. Call me a chump, I don't care if they use the money for alcohol: it is an addiction after all. If I suspect they have a drug or alcohol problem, I try to talk to them, tell them they are worth more than that, probably doesn't help, but that's ok. I just like to help, It's my thing. Hopefully, someone will help my child like I helped someone else's.
I knew I would like you, punkpet :)

Topix

#71 Jul 31, 2010
I try keeping at least 5-10 dollars in my car console handy specifically for anyone asking for a handout. It's not for me to say how the money I donate to someone in need is spent.

When I had time, I used to just go to a drive-thru window and get a combo meal and bring back to anyone with a sign asking for food. One day, a few years ago, I just so happened to have bought a couple of footlong hotdogs while I was out running errands. I was in the right lane of an interstate exit ramp and the man I was going to share one of my hotdogs with was on the left side of the road. I waved at him, held up a hotdog, signaling that he could have it, and he nodded back at me in agreement.

The light turned green, so I had to move on with the flow of traffic, as he signaled me to toss the hotdog into his waiting hands. The left lane had been clear all this time, so, okay, I tossed it...

...but, right at the exact moment I did, a car came up on my left side, splattering the poor hotdog into ruins on its windshield.

The man and I both had a good laugh. I was too busy that day to go back and try to do anything for him, but that hilariously comical scene will stick with me forever.
what i think

Oak Hill, WV

#72 Jul 31, 2010
if you give her money she will give you something in return
I knew her

United States

#73 Jul 31, 2010
She died a year ago so she is no longer begging for money. Michelle was a good person at one time and would have done anything for anyone. She came from a good family and they loved her very much. We went to school together and she was so intelligent. But she met a man that got her hooked on drugs and he is still out there. Hopefully none of your friends or family members will meet the same fate. RIP Michelle.

Level 8

#74 Aug 1, 2010
hourglass wrote:
I try keeping at least 5-10 dollars in my car console handy specifically for anyone asking for a handout. It's not for me to say how the money I donate to someone in need is spent.
When I had time, I used to just go to a drive-thru window and get a combo meal and bring back to anyone with a sign asking for food. One day, a few years ago, I just so happened to have bought a couple of footlong hotdogs while I was out running errands. I was in the right lane of an interstate exit ramp and the man I was going to share one of my hotdogs with was on the left side of the road. I waved at him, held up a hotdog, signaling that he could have it, and he nodded back at me in agreement.
The light turned green, so I had to move on with the flow of traffic, as he signaled me to toss the hotdog into his waiting hands. The left lane had been clear all this time, so, okay, I tossed it...
...but, right at the exact moment I did, a car came up on my left side, splattering the poor hotdog into ruins on its windshield.
The man and I both had a good laugh. I was too busy that day to go back and try to do anything for him, but that hilariously comical scene will stick with me forever.
Nice gesture, Hourglass. I've had the same woman come up to my car
twice (not in Beckley) and I gave her money both times.
Lisa

Beckley, WV

#75 Aug 1, 2010
MDS wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL this guy lives up behind the carwash with his mom. He stopped my husband while we were pumping gas and said he was homelesps and he needed $. My husband called his bluff and told him that he knew exactly where he lived and that he was lying.
there is a guy that always is in Kmart parking lot in beckley bumming money. Then he heads to little genernal and gets a beer with it. i have literally watched him! Especially around christmas he starts his bumming and hits people up walking out of store and if he sees u sitting in your car he will walk up to you
joe

Welch, WV

#76 Aug 1, 2010
there was a woman at the old wal mart in beckley yesterday holding a sign -will work for food. does anyone know if she really needs food or is this a scam to get money?

Level 8

#77 Aug 1, 2010
joe wrote:
there was a woman at the old wal mart in beckley yesterday holding a sign -will work for food. does anyone know if she really needs food or is this a scam to get money?
I don't know her but maybe someone else does. One must do whatever is written in one's heart.

Topix

#78 Aug 1, 2010
That's how I feel about it, Faerydust. I once gave $10 to a disheveled older man who was standing outside of a Rite-Aid store, after telling me that he needed bus ticket money. I think he really needed a bottle of boozarini, and if I were in a beggar's shoes, I imagine that I would probably need some too. I don't think anyone would choose begging over another lifestyle if it were possible. Many of them are homeless, and that has to be a horrific life that they lead.

Topix

#79 Aug 1, 2010
I knew her wrote:
She died a year ago so she is no longer begging for money. Michelle was a good person at one time and would have done anything for anyone. She came from a good family and they loved her very much. We went to school together and she was so intelligent. But she met a man that got her hooked on drugs and he is still out there. Hopefully none of your friends or family members will meet the same fate. RIP Michelle.
I'm very sorry to hear this.
mrswv

United States

#80 Aug 1, 2010
We have given money to several different people and even went to Mcdonalds and gave them food when they have been begging, I dont know what they do with the money but I always say a prayer for them if they do wrong with it then its on them but maybe my gesture and my prayer will serve as a witness and hopefully some day change their lives. God said their are angels unaware among us, and that when we feed or clothe one of the poor we are doing the same for him. They may look just like another begger or junkie but maybe they could possibly be something so much more.
mad cow

Oak Hill, WV

#81 Aug 1, 2010
punkpet wrote:
I call it tithing, and I do absoultely everything I can for people, whether they ask or not. I help bag the groceries of strangers, pick up hitch hikers, give money to people who ask, let people out in traffic, talk to people who are upset.... whatever I can do. Call me a chump, I don't care if they use the money for alcohol: it is an addiction after all. If I suspect they have a drug or alcohol problem, I try to talk to them, tell them they are worth more than that, probably doesn't help, but that's ok. I just like to help, It's my thing. Hopefully, someone will help my child like I helped someone
else's.
you are welfare bu tt so why you worry on

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
30 y.o. man dating 16 y.o. girl (Oct '09) 2 hr Sammisosa 47
Transgender vs real woman 3 hr CHEF 6
global warming is here (Jan '14) 4 hr Iceman 454
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 6 hr Jon_B 6,619
Mark Shaun Grimmett 7 hr Attnmark 1
Who thinks that the manager of kitchen collecti... 7 hr Lisa 6
New River Park Pool 7 hr wilbur 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages