Late Bloomer

Tarboro, NC

#1 Apr 21, 2011
Does anyone know the proper name of a little gray bug I have in my yard that looks like an armadillo. My husband said he always heard the bug called an armadillo bug. I can't find it online. They are usually under rocks and pieces of wood. I tried pouring a little bleach/water mixture around where they are. I believe this bug is the reason I have trouble keeping tulips going from year to year. I don't want to put any more chemicals into the soil than I have to to get rid of them.
1daydreamer

Charleston, WV

#2 Apr 21, 2011
I believe it is called a pill bug.
Late Bloomer

Tarboro, NC

#3 Apr 21, 2011
1daydreamer: Thank you; I'll start reading up on the pill bug. Most of my tulips did not come up this Spring and they are only 1 year old.
1daydreamer

Charleston, WV

#4 Apr 21, 2011
No problem. Hope I helped. There are actually 2 bugs that fit this discription, pillbug and sowbug. But the pillbug will roll into a ball if you disturb it and looks like an armadillo. They both live where there is a lot of moisture.
Hope you find out what is wrong with your tulips. Good luck and happy growing!
Anonymous

Katy, TX

#5 Apr 21, 2011
Tulips are picky. Hope you planted them deep enough.
Late Bloomer

Tarboro, NC

#6 Apr 22, 2011
I think I did and I fertilized them with bone meal last Fall. I also let the greens stay for several weeks after they flower before I remove them. My next course of action is to try and get rid of these bugs and start all over again with my tulip garden next Fall.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris pack? 46 min jumboshrimp 1
wendys near kfc 50 min realest101 3
Obama Cares 51 min Jake 306
new beckley 2 hr Bluegrass Picking 25
Fetish 2 hr Bluegrass Picking 12
Southern Exposure (Aug '09) 4 hr Dog the Booty Hunter 146
Appalachia Towing and Recovery (May '09) 7 hr Concerned motorist 14
More from around the web

Beckley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE