Epling Middle School Baseball League?

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
BeckleyFan

Beckley, WV

#1 Oct 19, 2012
Just wondering why it is so expensive to play in the middle school league that Upper Deck puts on? They made it sound like it would be for everyone. Its like 300 dollars per kid and there are quite a few teams in it and lots of kids. That is a ton of money. Where does all that money go?

Just a little crazy to have 12-14 year old paying 300 dollars when you can play for free at Babe Ruth and Little League basically.
BeckleyFan

Beckley, WV

#2 Oct 20, 2012
anyone know?
Workinprogress

Beckley, WV

#3 Oct 20, 2012
That money goes to the Eplings. Here's how they use it to run their mines: http://workinprogress.firedoglake.com/2010/04...
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#4 Oct 21, 2012
BeckleyFan wrote:
Just wondering why it is so expensive to play in the middle school league that Upper Deck puts on? They made it sound like it would be for everyone. Its like 300 dollars per kid and there are quite a few teams in it and lots of kids. That is a ton of money. Where does all that money go?
Just a little crazy to have 12-14 year old paying 300 dollars when you can play for free at Babe Ruth and Little League basically.
When my boys were middle school age, I would have thought it a bargain for them to get to play on a professional field and get to play additional games that were not available at the time. A good aluminum bat costs of $200.00 now. If you have ever been involved in youth travel sports, there are teams where kids are charged over a thousand dollars to be on a team. One team we played against when my boys were playing, charged $1,500 just to try out for the team.
I am hopeful that the middle school league might bring back some success in baseball to area. Baseball talent in the Beckley area right now is very light.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#5 Oct 21, 2012
Workinprogress wrote:
That money goes to the Eplings. Here's how they use it to run their mines: http://workinprogress.firedoglake.com/2010/04...
Are you serious? you obviously have no idea how much it costs to operate a coal mine.
Beckleyfan

Beckley, WV

#6 Oct 21, 2012
When they advertised for the league they said it was for everyone. Well $300 dollars a kid is extremely expensive. With all the teams and players on those teams someone is making a killing. There is jv and varsity for each school so there are tons of kids playing.

“ad hominem = ignorance”

Level 4

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#7 Oct 21, 2012
So tons of kids can afford the 300$

From what I have heard, they get to play on an all turf field, get access to special training they dont get at Little League, and the talent on each team enrolled is 10 times better than any other programs. If you do not like what they are doing, go to Beckley Little League and play there. You get what you pay for.

“ad hominem = ignorance”

Level 4

Location hidden

#8 Oct 21, 2012
However my brother handles all that :)
Jolo Pastor

Bluefield, WV

#9 Oct 21, 2012
Money over people, great Christian ethic.
American

Beckley, WV

#10 Oct 21, 2012
Pastor Matt E wrote:
However my brother handles all that :)
Matt,

It's this kind of arrogance that makes a lot of people dislike you and your family> it will not help your mom get elected either.
Beckleyfan

Beckley, WV

#11 Oct 21, 2012
Not a lot of kids can afford 300 dollars. So far haven't seen any outstanding baseball players come out of that league so far. I can't believe anyone would down Little League, the most popular baseball league in the entire country for youth baseball players.

They just better be getting some very nice equipment and uniforms for 300 dollars. We pay for the kids to play, not take training from upper deck.
PorkyPig

Beckley, WV

#12 Oct 21, 2012
The Epling league is a good league, my sons played in it. Only problem we had was it is still just like every other league around here in that daddies coach the teams. You got some specialized training, but you also got alot of nothing from dad's who don't know as much about baseball as they think.

Its nice for folks to volunteer, but still don't think a bunch of parents should be coaching these teams, to much politics just like every other league in Beckley. Get some volunteers who known the game and don't have family members playing.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#13 Oct 21, 2012
Beckleyfan wrote:
Not a lot of kids can afford 300 dollars. So far haven't seen any outstanding baseball players come out of that league so far. I can't believe anyone would down Little League, the most popular baseball league in the entire country for youth baseball players.
They just better be getting some very nice equipment and uniforms for 300 dollars. We pay for the kids to play, not take training from upper deck.
I have been out of youth sports for a while. but in the past, those of us who cared always found a way to get money for kids who might need it. I see kids all over town walking around with cell phones that cost that much.
Pastor Matt e

Ardsley, NY

#14 Oct 21, 2012
Hey, sorry for the quick response. Just talked to Tim about pricing. I'm on my cell so sorry for the last comment because I do see how it came across. Not intended that way though.

The price to play In the league is not 300$ it is 165$. A child. It has been 150$ a year for the last 3 years, but because of insurance rates going up, Tim had to increase prices for that reason.

Again the intent oft first post was rushed and I felt to get the info first . Hope that helped.

“ad hominem = ignorance”

Level 4

Location hidden

#15 Oct 22, 2012
By the way, I am Matt Epling and I approved of the previous post by me :)
1 post removed
BeckleyFan

Beckley, WV

#17 Oct 22, 2012
Well in that case $165 isn't to bad then. We had heard 300 and I just didn't know alot of kids who could afford 300 to play and then pay for equipment.

Do you know what all that $165 covers?
Bball mom

Beckley, WV

#18 Oct 22, 2012
The $165 is to belong to the league. It covers a few other things. The kids in the league do NOT play on the turf at Miners'Stadium. The real expense is the training at Upper Deck. Of course, they tell everyone that their kid is a great athete with a lot of potential. That's how they keep sticking it to you!
BeckleyFan

Beckley, WV

#19 Oct 22, 2012
What do you mean they don't play on the turf at Miners stadium? Where is the world do they play games then?

“ad hominem = ignorance”

Level 4

Location hidden

#20 Oct 23, 2012
Bball mom wrote:
The $165 is to belong to the league. It covers a few other things. The kids in the league do NOT play on the turf at Miners'Stadium. The real expense is the training at Upper Deck. Of course, they tell everyone that their kid is a great athete with a lot of potential. That's how they keep sticking it to you!
Rotfl. This is funny.

The league plays on the field at Linda K Epling Stadium. So all who play in the league DO play on the TURF field. It has nothing to do with Upper Deck. LoL

Each team gets acess to things Upper Deck provides.

Umpiring cost the program 22k a year alone.

If there is something better, then parents should do that. Noone is forced to play in that league. There is Beckley little league, or any league outside the community as an alternative.

The league is not for everyone, so there are many alternatives a parent can make on the developement of their child with baseball.

The first season, there were 100 players participating. Last year, there were 240 approx. So it is growing and the kids enjoy what they are getting.

lies

Beckley, WV

#21 Oct 23, 2012
Then why did I sit through games at some of the crappiest fields in the region? The league is all an effort to get kids into Upper Deck "training academy". You folks and this league are NOT what you want people to think.

I'm sure the "Reverend" will have a response,and so be it. Ask any other parent whose kids have played in the middle school league. What a crock!

The league is not associated with the school system, either. DOn't be fooled. Why pay to play when there's Babe Ruth League? I made the mistake one season with one kid. I won't do it again. And yes, I am entitled to my opinion!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 2 hr Sundog512 1,542
Why did David Darden get fired from rgh 3 hr Yuppers 10
Harold Via 3 hr Canada- wondering 5
Logan Wriston 4 hr Happy 3
App arts and crafts 5 hr Was there 2
Joe Manchin Daughter 10 hr Diggler 17
Bojangles Raleigh Mall area opening soon. 10 hr Employee 4
shannon frazier dead 11 hr Peace 27

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web