Raleigh county fire levy
wvu

Beckley, WV

#306 May 5, 2012
I will be voting no and encouraging everyone I know to do the same thing. We shouldn't have to pay higher taxes because the local VFDs couldn't manage their money.
just sayin

Oak Hill, WV

#307 May 5, 2012
wvu wrote:
I will be voting no and encouraging everyone I know to do the same thing. We shouldn't have to pay higher taxes because the local VFDs couldn't manage their money.
I agree!! VOTE NO!! VOte no for higher taxes!! Vote against government waste and corruption!
LOL of all people LOL

Beckley, WV

#308 May 5, 2012
This person defending against government waste is hilarious. LOL ROTF
matt

Beckley, WV

#309 May 5, 2012
County resident wrote:
<quoted text>Did you read this document someone posted? I did. Beckley Water contracts to West Virginia Pipeline Company. They are still using this company because I have seen them around town working. According to this document the county and the residents paid for the installations back during this time period. Funny how the residents paid twice to have them installed. Once through the tax payer money and their own pockets. The document stated the City was in no need of any new hydrants. This document also states they have 300 of them. Where are they wanting to put fire hydrants in at? Maybe the Mayors pet project that landed him in hot water with the ethics commission? They know.

http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/orders/Vie...
No I didn't. Thanks for posting the link..
matt

Beckley, WV

#310 May 5, 2012
Yet another lie on WVNS! Wow!
Beentheredonetha t

Beckley, WV

#311 May 5, 2012
matt wrote:
Yet another lie on WVNS! Wow!
WVNS must have had a change in their news director or someone in athority. I heard the announcer say a couple dollars a month. I thought they would never stoop to giving out false information on an election issue. Their creditability is waining with me.
Beentheredonetha t

Beckley, WV

#312 May 5, 2012
I just looked on WVNS web site and it said firefighters said it would cost the average home owner a couple bucks a month. I wonder if it would make a difference if a group that would benefit from a levy gave out false information to a member of the media to sway a vote. I do not know what the criteria for challenging a vote based on such facts may be, but I think it is a fair question
picker2

Beckley, WV

#313 May 5, 2012
I am just hoping the public sends a message to them on election day that this levy is too much and maybe they can be forced to come up with something we can live with. With all of this one sided news reporting we have had and bribes I am just praying the public can see through the smoke and mirrors.
picker2

Beckley, WV

#314 May 5, 2012
SELL. To persuade (another) the desiribility of something. To cause to be accepted.(Slang) A deception or hoax. MERIT. Praiseworthy quality. Character or conduct deserving reward. Honor or esteem. The state of fact deserving worthiness. Claim to respect and praise, excellence of worth. If this levy is so great why are they trying to SELL it to us with deception and hoax? Why will it not stand on its MERIT.
My 2 Cents

Beckley, WV

#315 May 5, 2012
I do not get the fire levy at all. They claim we will have to pay more property taxes. Many , especially in WV are older folks and Tax exempt through the homestead exemption law. So in that case what are they taxing ? Our vehicles, lawn mowers, ATV , boats whatever to pay fireman who set and watch houses burn before they finaly put them out when the electric company decides to show up to cut power to the building ? And then they claim they will have to shut down the fire departmnenst cause of no money ? And worse claim Insurance rates will go up ? I have never had one Insurance agent ask me if I had a local fire Department in my community . And we already pay for Fire service and have been for years. So just what is Pugh and Bicky and all the rest of the Commission going to do with that money ? What have they done with the storm drain runoff money they claim is not a tax people in Beckley and some surrounding areas already pay ? Seems to me our local government is so corrupt and money hungry and mis-managing funds they are bilking the public of every dime they can get their crooked hands on, and trying to use scare tactics to obtian it from MR and Mrs poor elderly who are afraid their house will burn down. If it catches fire and you do not put it out yourself, it will burn down while the Fire Dept, sets and waits untill AEP shows up. I do not know of any house the Fire Dept has saved .

And I for one do not want to pay anymore money , I simply do not have to give . I can not eat a Fire Truck, so NO on the LEVY...PERIOD !!! Close them down I for one have my own water hoses and I can pull my meter off my own house and if I have to I will use a chain saw and cut down the power pole, problem solved AEP, you can come fix the nieghborhood Power after its all over with!!

Level 2

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#316 May 5, 2012
This was reported to the herald:

"In addition to the rising cost of bills, gear to keep the volunteers safe is also a huge expense. The average cost of a fire fighter’s uniform is $20,000."

Here's the truth,
Bunker gear,SCBA and associated gear on average, runs $6500.00 per firefighter NOT $20,000!!

Fuel cost for Vol. fire dept's. would be much lower if the Department members drove their own vehicles around instead of Fire Department vehicles being used as private vehicles.

Teaching grant writing and basic fund raising to the fire department's officers would be a great start to learning to stand on their own!

NOW... about the money that Beckley will get! Paid services should be exempt from this levy. Beckley tax payers already contribute to the Beckley fire dept. in city taxes! Not fair to them to pay twice!

The numbers are all wrong! If they are going to lie to us about the facts of the levy, why should we vote yes for it?

it needs work before I'll vote for it!
1 post removed
matt

Beckley, WV

#318 May 6, 2012
Beentheredonethat wrote:
I just looked on WVNS web site and it said firefighters said it would cost the average home owner a couple bucks a month. I wonder if it would make a difference if a group that would benefit from a levy gave out false information to a member of the media to sway a vote. I do not know what the criteria for challenging a vote based on such facts may be, but I think it is a fair question
As I said before, everyone needs to keep copies of the newspapers and of the online news updates. May need it later.
matt

Beckley, WV

#319 May 6, 2012
professor2020 wrote:
This was reported to the herald:

"In addition to the rising cost of bills, gear to keep the volunteers safe is also a huge expense. The average cost of a fire fighter’s uniform is $20,000."

Here's the truth,
Bunker gear,SCBA and associated gear on average, runs $6500.00 per firefighter NOT $20,000!!

Fuel cost for Vol. fire dept's. would be much lower if the Department members drove their own vehicles around instead of Fire Department vehicles being used as private vehicles.

Teaching grant writing and basic fund raising to the fire department's officers would be a great start to learning to stand on their own!

NOW... about the money that Beckley will get! Paid services should be exempt from this levy. Beckley tax payers already contribute to the Beckley fire dept. in city taxes! Not fair to them to pay twice!

The numbers are all wrong! If they are going to lie to us about the facts of the levy, why should we vote yes for it?

it needs work before I'll vote for it!
Be sure to vote NO!
County resident

Beckley, WV

#320 May 6, 2012
Based on Trump's statement:“Look at the excess levy, which raises $17 million,” Trump said.

“The fire levy is only about 20 percent of that.

http://www.register-herald.com/todaysfrontpag...

We are looking at 13,600,000. Take away the 4,800,000 that is earmarked to go to EOC, City of Beckley, and the volunteers. Where is the rest of the money going? By the way I don't trust Trump's number.

In my opinion the firemen are being used and they are getting screwed. If this money is to help them, then why are they not getting all of it? LOL!

“When people come in from the county and spend money in the city, that keeps the businesses going. It generates more revenues for businesses. Businesses pay more B&O taxes. We’re able to pave streets, work with the police department. We’re just taking care of the customers. You have to take the long view of this. If you take the short-sighted view and say,‘I’m going to keep the $1 in my pocket that’s going to cost me $100 down the road, that’s not wise at all. It’s the old goose and golden eggs story. We want to keep the golden eggs coming into the city.”

They want to keep the golden eggs coming into the City? I bet you do and at the expense of ALL PEOPLE who reside in the county. We are all paying more than twice for this and we are not told what pet project and it ain't the firemen. You see I think the city is behind this so Pugh can get his hands on the money outside his jurisdiction. Look at ALL the business outside city limits. Those are the golden eggs I think.
picker2

Beckley, WV

#321 May 6, 2012
I don't know what everyone is getting tore up about paying a fair tax. I think it is fair that everybody pay their fair share of a tax. Oh, what is that you say, it is not a fair tax we are talking about but a fire tax. Oh I see a fire tax. A FIRE TAX. Sorry, nevermind.
County resident

Beckley, WV

#322 May 6, 2012
Sec. 6-1.- "Emergency services" defined.

For the purposes of this chapter, the term "emergency services" shall mean the preparation for and the carrying out of all emergency functions, other than functions for which the military forces are primarily responsible, to prevent, minimize and repair injury and damage resulting from disasters caused by enemy attack, sabotage or other hostile action, or by fire, flood, earthquake or other natural causes. These functions include, without limitation, fire fighting services, police services, medical and health services, rescue, engineering, air raid, warning services, communications, radiological, chemical and other special weapons defense, evacuations of persons from stricken areas, emergency welfare services, emergency transportation, existing or properly assigned functions of plant protection, temporary restoration of public utility services, and other functions related to civilian protection, together with all other activities necessary or incidental to the preparation for the carrying out of the foregoing functions.

City Ordinance.
I'm looking and have not found the rule that states the city fire department cannot respond outside city limits. If someone finds it post it.

Do you see the words, WITHOUT LIMITATION. I keep hearing those words "We can't leave the city unprotected". What the hell do they think is going to happen in the time period if they send just one group of firemen outside "city boundaries" to respond to a structure fire that they can get to quicker than Bradly, Beaver, or Mabscott? Hell those men can leave once the volunteers arrive. It has been a line of BULL all these years. BULL. Can you say legal liability!
matt

Beckley, WV

#323 May 6, 2012
Talking with my neighbor, who went to the hotdog give away... figured out why Beckley doesn't mind to help Beaver Fire. One of the officers at Beckley Fire is also an officer at Beaver Fire. Go figure. Needless to say, my neighbor is also voting NO.
County resident

Beckley, WV

#324 May 6, 2012
picker2 wrote:
I don't know what everyone is getting tore up about paying a fair tax. I think it is fair that everybody pay their fair share of a tax. Oh, what is that you say, it is not a fair tax we are talking about but a fire tax. Oh I see a fire tax. A FIRE TAX. Sorry, nevermind.
Something many people are FIRED up over! LOL!
County resident

Beckley, WV

#325 May 6, 2012
matt wrote:
Talking with my neighbor, who went to the hotdog give away... figured out why Beckley doesn't mind to help Beaver Fire. One of the officers at Beckley Fire is also an officer at Beaver Fire. Go figure. Needless to say, my neighbor is also voting NO.
If this levy passes those departments will be fighting over the measly crumb they are getting I guarantee that! They will band together again and cry "We need more" "We will go under if we cannot get more money" "We need help paying for equipment" "Please help us help you". It will never be enough while how many of those volunteers will be struggling trying to keep up with that tax bill as well as the residents who are already struggling trying to keep their heads above water.
get over it

Beckley, WV

#326 May 6, 2012
You think you guys are bold to sit behind. Your keyboard a talk trash. You have a opinion that's great. Do everybody a favor. Which would be hard seeing how your so vocal on the Internet maybe instead of sitting on your hind parts talk crap maybe get out and get informed. It people like you that make this country even more worthless than it has became. Cause u choose to resort to hiding behind your keyboard afraid to come out and find that what u call truth is a lie I'm glad your doing behind a keyboard cause you bashing. Hard working American citizens calling them liars and crooks when it ppl like you that make the uneducated comments and twist words in your favor. I'll bet you spite in a soliders face of you could but
They men and women won't hold back you'd get laid out by them but ur local ff is the scum because there working together for a greater good but you wouldn't know the true meaning of the ultimate sacrifice. Would you. Look it up u will find . It nothing you do. Period. So before you bash maybe you should listen to the. News there giving the truth. Want these vfds closed. Go head. And watch who pays high price you will when your loved due in car accident or structure fire cause their was no local FD. See if you army of idiots tha hide begin keyboards will do anything you wont your scared to face trust the public and the American way get over your selfs and pay your damn taxes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beer Joint 1 hr Jane 10
Owner of Bar 1 hr Jane 10
Raleigh General Hospital is AWFUL (Sep '10) 2 hr pyle 232
Drop A Word, Add A Word (Dec '10) 4 hr Nancy 7,014
Somenthing wrapped around ur windshield wiper 6 hr pyle 17
Alpha Contracting - Travis Hicks 7 hr Dog Lover 2
Boy 9 hr Bonesjoneshonescones 1

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance