Entrepreneurial Couple Brings Pirtek ...

Entrepreneurial Couple Brings Pirtek to Portland, Ore.

There are 34 comments on the Construction Equipment Guide story from Sep 29, 2008, titled Entrepreneurial Couple Brings Pirtek to Portland, Ore.. In it, Construction Equipment Guide reports that:

Choosing a business partner is a lot like choosing a mate: calculated, yet integral to the union's overall success.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Construction Equipment Guide.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Scott Layer

Winter Haven, FL

#1 Oct 4, 2008
This is the second time a Pirtek has opened as "Park Rose"...The first guy went under, not enough business, and that was when the economy was going well. This poor guy will be out of money and out of hope in two or three years. I hope to hear about this so called great business then. Pirtek has had numerous failures. They are rated at the bottom of the franchise 500 list, most centers go broke, close, or are terminated. Just ask the people that owned Tucson, Anaheim, Ontario, Portland, Boston, Miami, Clearwater, Houston, Dallas, I could go on and on, there are many more Pirteks that closed up shop. Its an expensive venture with low profits, stay away from Pirtek.
eli

AOL

#2 Dec 1, 2008
"Let me reply to Mr. Layer's email. I am a Pirtek franchisee located in
Detroit. I am in the worst economy in the U.S. The Pirtek System is one of
the best franchises around. In fact, as I see a number of other restaurants
and other franchisees fail, I am really glad to be part of the Pirtek
System. While I keep reading about a lot of other businesses sales go down
in the past year, in fact, my sales are up over 20% over last year and I
just set an all time record! The Pirtek System works for those that follow
the Pirtek System. Is it possible to fail? Absolutely, just like in any
business. But, I will tell you that I have now opened my second Center
which is doing great and I have signed on for my third. The Pirtek System
is a system that works and gives you a great chance to make some real money.
But, you have to follow the Pirtek System."
Thanks, Eli.
David Johnson

United States

#3 Dec 15, 2008
I am very happy to be a Pirtek Franchise owner in Plano, TX for the last 3 years. I have struggled a little bit in this economy, like everyone else, but I am proud to report that my business has increased significantly over the last 12 months while I have watched several businesses close. Pirtek has over 300 Centers in operation around the world and is number 1 in the world and number 1 in the U.S. in mobile hose replacement.

In several of Scott Layer's erroneous blogs, that he has scattered across the web, he mentions the arbitration in which he was instrumental in bringing against Pirtek USA. What he fails to mention is that the result of that arbitration found that Pirtek charged fair and reasonable prices. In fact, the Centers that brought the arbitration ended up paying all of Pirtek's legal bills because Pirtek won the arbitration. In January 2006 Scott called me (before the arbitration) and he tried to inject fear and uncertainty and he tried to convince me that the Pirtek system did not work. Scott seemed to want to stir up trouble and do harm to the Pirtek system. Eventually he gave up on recruiting me into his campaign. The bottom line is that Scott failed and I believe he wants everyone else to fail just like he did.

The Pirtek System is not for everyone. It requires hard work and diligence, just like any business. However, if you follow the Pirtek System and grow
your business like 300 other franchisees around the world have, the rewards can be very big! That's why 6 of the Pirtek owners in the United States own more than 1 Center and some have signed on for a third Center. I am glad to be a Pirtek Center owner and have already signed on for another one too!-David Johnson, Owner Pirtek Plano
Scott Layer

Auburndale, FL

#4 Dec 16, 2008
Business is about the numbers. If Pirtek is such a great business model how come we never see any numbers? I invite all the franchisees to share their numbers with the community, answer the phone when someone calls that might want to buy a franchise. I have talked to many prospects about Pirtek. I followed the system and had great sales. In fact my location performed better than any location at that time for the time open. While Tucson, Nashville, Portland, Anahiem, and many other stores failed my store did great numbers in sales...BUT LITTLE PROFIT. On top of that a new location was sold right on top of mine within 3 months of my store opening. I feel sorry for 90% of the Pirtek franchisees out there. Show us the numbers, don't attack me, prove your point with the facts. Please read the "Franchise Fraud" by Robert Purvin. Why is Pirtek at the bottom of the franchise 500 list? Why have more Pirtek locations been re-franchised, sold at a loss, Terminated, or closed than have been successful? Just owning a business and being forced to take low pay is not a success. The facts are Pirtek is a poor performer, people looking to get into a good business should stay away from Pirtek. If you must go the Pirtek route open a location in the Twin Cities, or in Atlanta. Right now Pirtek San Diego is for sale cheap. San Diego has been for sale twice, how come its owner got out? He just walked away! Call him, the add for the store is on Bizquest. Google "Pirtek Mira Mar for sale". How come Nashville filed for Bankruptcy a couple of months ago?, this is the second time this stores owner has gone bankrupt. Finally explain why 17 of 36 franchisees filed arbitration against Pirtek? Was it because they were making money and they were happy? The answer is simple. The facts are Pirtek pulled out of a whole country, France..it did'nt work there. The facts are Portland failed, Clearwater was sold for pennies on the dollar, Tampa was re-franchised, Orlando has had multiple owners, two locatons in Farfield closed. Most locations are struggling, just like you admit. I say Pirtek and Pirtek locations should open their books, the numbers tell the story. If you want to be in the mobile hose business there are better ways to do it than Pirtek. Contact me any time at 8 1 3-3 1 8-1 2 5 8 Thanks to those of you that have contacted me, Scott
Gwyn OKane

United States

#5 Mar 3, 2009
In both of Mr. Layer’s comments he states that PIRTEK is at the bottom of the Franchise 500 list. The Franchise 500 list is produced by Entrepreneur Magazine and it is an accomplishment to even be on the list when you consider there are over 3000 franchise systems in the US. Entrepreneur uses a “top secret” formula for ranking franchise companies and in 2009 PIRTEK climbed 108 places to 337 from 445 in 2008.
I would be happy to discuss any of the comments that Mr. Layer has made and can be reached toll free at (888) 774 7835. Thank you. Gwyn O’Kane. Vice President of Franchise Development, PIRTEK USA.
Scott Layer

Auburndale, FL

#6 Mar 13, 2009
Ask Mr. Okane why
The Franchise 500® as a research tool: how objective and reliable is it?
Author(s):
John E. Clarkin, Robert B. Hasbrouck
Journal:
Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development
Year: 2007
They said that the Practical implications –
While considered to be important to a firm's rank, the amount of pending litigation and the percentage of terminations within the system, found to be indicators of conflict between franchisor and franchisees, appear to have little effect on a franchise's rank. Also, size of the franchise system appears to have a strong but inconsistent relationship with rank, both within any given year and over the time period covered by this study. Lastly, the relationship between growth rate and rank, another factor considered by the publisher to be most important, also appears inconsistent, both in terms of number of outlets added and percentage of growth attained over the previous year.
Then ask Mr. Okane for a detailed list of all past franchisees. Then ask me for the correct phone numbers or e-mail addresses of past franchisees. Then contact as many as possible.
Then ask why more Pirtek locations have either gone Bankrupt, Closed down or been Terminated than have been successful. Then ask what the yearly sales are for each franchise that is not company owned. PirtekUSA has this data and it should not be a conflict, because you are not asking for "earnings" just sales numbers. Then contact me and I will give the normal expense side of a Pirtek business. This exercise will allow you to get a good picture of average earnings based on sales, without PirtekUSA violataing any FTC provisions concerning earnings projections. If, after anyone does a proforma P&L as I have just described and wants to buy a Pirtek I say go for it. The numbers do not lie, people do. Check all the Pirtek numbers you can, this economy is not going to get better overnight, so do your research carefully before you invest in any franchise. If you want free help concerning Pirtek call me any time
8 1 3-3 1 8-1 2 5 8, or write me at [email protected] I can get you information Mr. Okane does not have or will not give out. Need some real P&L's? I have them, up to date ex-franchisee phone numbers? I have them. Want to know what happened to the failed Pirtek locations in giant cities like Houston, Dallas, San Diego, and large regions of Southern California? I can get you the real story. Would you like to talk to some ex-PirtekUSA employees that know the games Mr. Okane and the owner Morgan Arundel play at PirtekUSA? I can save you hours and hours, PLEASE call Mr. Okane, then call me. I do this every day, and every person I have talked to ends up making their own decision based on the real story, not some hyped up Franchise Sales Program. Also, when you talk to Mr. OKane, ask why he claimed there would be 20 to 30 locations in California by 2008? Ask why if business is so great why only 35 "geniuses" are still in business? Do not be fooled, I respect your right to be a fool, I do not accept that PirtekUSA has the right to make you one! Thanks for reading my Blog, and have a great day! Hey KIWI, are we having fun yet?
Scott Layer

Auburndale, FL

#7 Apr 20, 2009
Update, Summer 2009. As you know from reading my blogs I am not a fan of Pirtek. I have tried to warn prospective business owners of the risks associated with buying a Pirtek Franchise. You may recall that just four months ago Mr. Johnson, owner of Pirtek Plano(Dallas Tx), was very complimentary of his Pirtek Franchise. Mr. Johnson contradicted my statements regarding the value of Pirtek. David Johnson further stated that business was so good that he had signed up for his second Pirtek Location.
You will be interested to know that based on numerous calls to Pirtek Plano, 9 7 2-4 2 3- 1111, and e-mails directed to me, that Mr. Johnson has closed the Pirtek Plano location. Right now Morgan Arundel, President and Owner of Pirtek USA is scrambling to salvage Pirtek Plano, while my friends in Dallas are taking over numerous accounts that Pirtek has abandoned. It looks like the mustard is coming off the Hot Dog.
If you have any questions regarding Pirtek or the many closures and Bankruptcies please call me, 8 1 3-3 1 8-1 2 5 8, or e-mail me f i x x me @ aol .com. Thanks to Ron and the many others that have contacted me. Kiwi, are we still having fun? PS, word on the street is Pirtek Portland is closing soon, I will be checking on this and letting you all know what I find out. Stay away from Pirtek until we can find out the truth.
Elmer Ross

Salem, OR

#8 Apr 23, 2009
Having been a short term Service Manager for the
new Portland OR franchise, I wasn't surprised by the preceeding comments about franchise failures.
My demise came as a result of one of the owners deciding that she had more mechanical and practical knowledge than I did plus our personalities clashed. I spent time in the training prograsm in Florida but quickly realized that these two people wanted to pull all the strings and couldn't stnd to delegate any authority whatsoever, thus my tenure was cut bruatlly short one week after the new location opened. I have also learned that two of the Tech's that were sent to schoolm in FL have also been terminated without cause allegedly for failure to generate any income in less than 4 weeks. These new owners have no business being in a business where they have to rely on field reps for representation and company image. They are sure to be out of business by the end of their 36th month if not sooner. They don't deserve luck, only failure brought on by their own greed and lack of care about employees.
Scott Layer

Auburndale, FL

#9 Apr 23, 2009
Mr. Ross, I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Pirtek. Could you please call me? My number is listed on other posts, or if you want to e-mail me please do so. I recently heard that Pirtek Portland is scheduled to close, but unfortunately I have no other details. This location has been refranchised by Pirtek before. I am sure these franchisees are not totally to blame, however. PirtekUSA over charges for products and forces the franchisees to buy only PirtekUSA items. There is little or no profit in this business and it looks like your boss found this out very soon. I am sure you tried to perform your managerial duties correctly, and I am sure you worked very hard, but PirtekUSA sold the franchisee a bad business model and unfortunately it is all down hill from there. Please contact me, we may be able to help each other. Let this be a warning to anyone interested in a Pirtek Franchise! Kiwi, are we having fun yet? Regards, Scott Layer. [email protected]
Scott Layer

Pinellas Park, FL

#11 Mar 29, 2010
David Johnson wrote:
I am very happy to be a Pirtek Franchise owner in Plano, TX for the last 3 years. I have struggled a little bit in this economy, like everyone else, but I am proud to report that my business has increased significantly over the last 12 months while I have watched several businesses close. Pirtek has over 300 Centers in operation around the world and is number 1 in the world and number 1 in the U.S. in mobile hose replacement.
In several of Scott Layer's erroneous blogs, that he has scattered across the web, he mentions the arbitration in which he was instrumental in bringing against Pirtek USA. What he fails to mention is that the result of that arbitration found that Pirtek charged fair and reasonable prices. In fact, the Centers that brought the arbitration ended up paying all of Pirtek's legal bills because Pirtek won the arbitration. In January 2006 Scott called me (before the arbitration) and he tried to inject fear and uncertainty and he tried to convince me that the Pirtek system did not work. Scott seemed to want to stir up trouble and do harm to the Pirtek system. Eventually he gave up on recruiting me into his campaign. The bottom line is that Scott failed and I believe he wants everyone else to fail just like he did.
The Pirtek System is not for everyone. It requires hard work and diligence, just like any business. However, if you follow the Pirtek System and grow
your business like 300 other franchisees around the world have, the rewards can be very big! That's why 6 of the Pirtek owners in the United States own more than 1 Center and some have signed on for a third Center. I am glad to be a Pirtek Center owner and have already signed on for another one too!-David Johnson, Owner Pirtek Plano
FYI, Pirtek Plano and David Johnson filed Bankruptcy about a year ago. They sold this location to Ed, he will be broke and wishing he never heard of Poortek in a couple of years. If you want to see the Bankruptcy Files For David Johnson just let me know. If you want real information about Pirtek and All the Closed locations and all the lost "investments" and the truth about the terrible management at Poortek just drop me a note, Thanks, and have a great day. Scott, [email protected]
former pirtek

Rio Grande City, TX

#12 May 14, 2010
I have worked for pirtek franchise's and have came to the conclusion that unless you have a endless supply of capitol the system will fail.
The Kent store is so far in debt that there will never be a light at the end of the tunnel.
The Portland store was run into the ground by owners that didn't have a clue how to run a service business. I watched as she ran it into the ground and blamed everyone but herself.Pirtek is a money pit for all involved except for Kiwi he is getting richer by reselling a failing system and finding more suckers all the time.
I have seen the numbers and its a downward sprial.
I hope to never see another pirtek open here on the west coast and if one does I will make sure all around know how expensive and and different their fittings and hose are.
ABC

Pine Brook, NJ

#13 May 20, 2010
Re:
Northern Hose

Surrey, Canada

#14 Jun 14, 2010
Pirtek just opened their first location in Canada, in Delta a suburb of Vancouver, BC.

How is their product quality and how does their pricing compare to quality produts like Paker, Aeroquip and Gates?
Former Pirtek Customer

Rowlett, TX

#15 Jul 11, 2010
We found the pirtek service, poor, overpriced, and simply a parker hose product re-branded....the same hose and fitting from Pirtek will cost you 200 to 300% more then any vendor or re seller in your area.
Construction Contractor

Anaheim, CA

#16 Sep 30, 2010
We used a similar company with vans called Hose Tech for a big job in Dallas. They took forever to respond and the mechanic who came out was useless. They had to return three times to fix faulty hose. I guess you get what you pay for. We used Pirtek after that and found service and product to be great. I was so impressed I am now looking into a franchise in my area.
Scott Layer

Pinellas Park, FL

#17 Oct 13, 2010
Most Pirtek failures are concentrated in one state..California. I encourage the poster above to invest $500,000 because he bought a hose from Pirtek in Dallas. I think your data translates perfectly. I think you are the perfect potential Pirtek Franchisee. I think you should just sign the Pirtek franchise agreement and start right away. After all, one hose is impressive. "If you buy it they will come" Yep..I say buy a Pirtek, you convinced me. I have been wrong all this time..and you have made me see the error of my ways. Please, please let me how you do. Please Mister Construction Contractor..let us all know how you do. I wish you and your family luck as Pirtek Franchisees. You sound like you have all the information you need, I wish you well.
Elmer Ross

Portland, OR

#18 Nov 30, 2010
former pirtek wrote:
I have worked for pirtek franchise's and have came to the conclusion that unless you have a endless supply of capitol the system will fail.
The Kent store is so far in debt that there will never be a light at the end of the tunnel.
The Portland store was run into the ground by owners that didn't have a clue how to run a service business. I watched as she ran it into the ground and blamed everyone but herself.Pirtek is a money pit for all involved except for Kiwi he is getting richer by reselling a failing system and finding more suckers all the time.
I have seen the numbers and its a downward sprial.
I hope to never see another pirtek open here on the west coast and if one does I will make sure all around know how expensive and and different their fittings and hose are.
Quote; I was not surprised to learn that Pirtek Par Rose was closing and whoever wrote the preceeding quote must have worked for them at the same time I did. I was to have been the Operations Manager but as I said after one week was informed that SHE wanted to do this job. What is really a tragedy is that this couple sent me to Florida for 3 weeks on intense training, paid all expenses then one week after opening their doors sacked me for no reason. I honestly liked the prospect of having that position and was very enthusiastic buit was met with severe opposition at every turning. She was very heavy handed and didn't have a clue how to trewat employees for max production much less run a business. Their failure in Illinois was reflective of this attitude. If only I had known going in I would never have accepted the position. The concept was good but their pricing was in outer space. Elmer Ross
Elmer Ross

Portland, OR

#19 Nov 30, 2010
I often wonder what has become of the other tech reps that went to Floridan with me ? We all know why they have failed. She was an over bearing person that thought she knew it all and due to her attitude deserves to fail. If she would havwe stayed at home and let myself, the reps and sometimes her husband run the franchise we more than likely would have made it.
yeah right

Indianapolis, IN

#20 Dec 26, 2010
Mr. Okane seems proud to tout Pirtek's ranking in Enteprenuer magazine. But how does he account for zero, er, negative growth?
Pirtek Expert

Pinellas Park, FL

#21 Jan 4, 2011
The answer is simple, Mr. O'kane is full of it. PirtekUSA management is able to dupe potential prospective franchisees by using tidbits of information that "sound reliable" but are not reliable in any way, shape, or form. Entrepreneur magazine ratings are built using data from England and Australia as well as the famously un-successful Pirtek USA data. I get inquiries regularly about PirtekUSA, and there always seems to be confusion about the facts. The product is not the same product used in Australia. The Master Franchisee in the USA, Morgan Arundel is primarily a grain broker. Consequently, Pirtek USA is a sideline business for Mr. Arundel, and it should be because PirtekUSA showed a very large loss in 2009.
Every goal that Mr. O'kane has set for growth has NOT been met..not even close. As an example you can google PirtekUSA and read adverts that Mr. O'kane is quoted as saying like " we plan to open 18 centers this year.." and " we plan to open 24 new locations in 2008" etc. etc. Real managers first and foremost must Plan adequately, and they must present their plans in a realistic way. Mr. O'kane cannot plan honestly because the truth is Mr. O'kane has not sold a new Pirtek in years. This franchise needs to be recognized as a failure, the history and the current sales numbers indicate it is. There is much more to say about the numerous failures at Pirtek USA, but those comments can be viewed by searching " Pirtek Bankrupt" or " Pirtek Scott" " or "Pirtek Closed". A visit to BlueMauMau and fracnhiseperfection can shed more light on this unsavory business.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beaverton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Organized Stalking / Gang Stalking Oregon Forum (Jan '14) Fri Kjp 62
New to town, hurting and needing H bad (Sep '13) Fri RevealZero 53
Nicks Marine and Performance - Ripped us off - ... Jun 20 BURT 1
Nicks Marine and Performance ripped me off- DO ... Jun 20 Burt 1
News Portland homelessness: Bleeding-heart liberal i... Jun 19 Who Knows Joe__ 5
Kaia Kathy Kathleen Williams Jun 17 Pee Drinker 7
Icons Millions Of Dollars Chi Lites Stolen Trus... Jun 17 News 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beaverton Mortgages