Kenton residents working to end train noise, establish 'quiet zone' at three intersections

There are 4 comments on the Jun 14, 2012, The Oregonian story titled Kenton residents working to end train noise, establish 'quiet zone' at three intersections. In it, The Oregonian reports that:

Kenton residents say the train horns are so common now, they think they can differentiate between trains.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Oregonian.

Josh

Portland, OR

#1 Jun 28, 2012
That opening paragraph is perfectly true. I recently moved to the Kebton neighbor hood near Columbia BLVD and Paninsular.

Thought I found the perfect project house until 3:30 am, and every AM after.

How do I help?

Local Kenton resident,
Josh
Poodle

Portland, OR

#2 Jun 29, 2012
Kenton was built next to railroad due to commerce
anonymous

Portland, OR

#3 Apr 30, 2013
It seems many of the public have fallen for what keeps them down in the first place, that train horns are necessary. This is fed to us like cattle, disguised as something that apparently makes us "safer," and it appears most everyone is falling for it.
What a joke.
anonymous

Portland, OR

#4 Apr 30, 2013
The people going off about safety and horns being necessary or not living near trains, even about the scant 1000 train fatalities per year, have got to be kidding. There are tens of thousands of deaths attributed to handguns in this country EACH YEAR, so ONE thousand deaths (all of Darwin award-winning adults (or kids whose parents should be handed the award)) don't mean squonk.
1.6 MILLION people are killed by alcohol in this country per year. Is it illegal?...
NO
30,000 people are killed by handguns a year. Are they illegal?
NO
HALF A MILLION people die from tobacco in the USA per year. Also not illegal.
Why would an industry with 1000 deaths per year be so adamant about making tremendous noise to the level where it effects the quality of life and sanity of hundreds of thousands of people ALL DAY AND NIGHT, EVERY DAY?
The reason is simple...
The elite ownership of the train companies want large portions of the population to lose sleep and be less than fully aware of how screwed over they are every day because of lack of sleep.
The sound of train horns could be a lot less disruptive and still effective if nowhere near as loud. The horns could be made more pleasant, and most of all, a few million could be added to budgets to build proper crossings that don't require horns to be blown EVERYWHERE. The train companies can easily afford it. In the grand scheme of things, it's chump change to them, but they won't do it.
Has it ever occurred to anyone that they won't do it because they want you to be in poor health?
Why are trains typically stuck dead center through the middle of historically poor communities? It keeps the poor poor, in bad health, and unable to act upon how screwed over they are every day.
If you are seriously thinking an industry with ONE thousand deaths a year merits that much noise being made, you have got to be kidding me.

The reality is if you are dumb enough to be on a track when a train comes and worse yet, so dumb you don't notice it until it's too late, boo hoo. No one should be made to lose sleep. Entire neighborhoods are kept awake at night, EVERY NIGHT, because of a scant few clearly stupid people who end up on the tracks. Entire communities live in conditions of noise that only gets far worse whenever they add a new coal line or new mining.

Train fatalities occur because that's what happens when you mix hundreds of thousands of pounds of steel with the most moronic of our pedestrian population, but they don't happen on a level that merits the noise it makes -- nowhere near that level.

30,000 people a year are killed by automobiles in the USA. Let me ask you this...
Are we automobile drivers required to BLAST our horns at every intersection?
NO.

There are FAR MORE auto related deaths at intersections than by trains, so what gives?

Anyone advocating for train noise needs to wake up and smell the real coffee. I'd go so far as to wager the train companies hire bloggers to say some of the stupid things I read above, because there is no other explanation.

Trains are there because of profits -- huge ones -- and the complaint that it's expensive for them to have safer crossing systems is completely ludicrous. The train industry can afford it -- thousands of times over they can, and it should be their responsibility, obligation and THE LAW for them to make those profits QUIETLY.

It seems many of the public have fallen for what keeps them down in the first place, that train horns are necessary. This is fed to us like cattle, disguised as something that apparently makes us "safer," and it appears most everyone is falling for it.

What a joke.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beaverton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Influx of Idiocy in Portland 13 hr minervah 8
Casual Dating in Portland 15 hr james 4
Roofing Contractors at Towle Roofing Portland 16 hr bmullen 2
Where best pizza? (Jul '14) 19 hr soupforu 188
footballs season Sun ano 21
News Family members gather at scene of North Portlan... Apr 25 MISCaNOM 3
Richard Kuhns and Morgellons Apr 23 Kissy 2
More from around the web

Beaverton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE