Leon Harrison
West Carrollton, Ohio
Thursday, May 23, 2013

To: The Editor

Subject: My last Suttman’s blue-jean stock-up

“My last Suttman’s stock-up”

Thursday afternoon, May 23, 2013:

Today, I did my last blue jean and underwear stock-up at Suttman’s men’s clothing store, in downtown Miamisburg, Ohio. I have enough socks, shoes, shirts, pants and coats, folks. Like many of you, I was saddened (but not really surprised) when I read that this unique old-fashioned men’s clothing store was finally closing its doors after 115 years.
Soon after I moved into West Carrollton, in 1981, I started occasionally shopping at Suttman’s; thereafter and thus filling a few of my (and my mom’s) closets with Suttman’s clothes, coats, hats and shoes, and stocking up on socks, underwear and blue jeans, if you know what I mean. Despite this big firm man muscle above my belt, my waist size is still 34! Okay, big belt buckles would hold it up and hurt it now. Not to whine, but I wish that my leg length was 30 instead of 29; because that would make pants easier for me to find and buy.
Anyway, today, I took some digital images of this local historical event, so that some of us can someday remember shopping at Suttman’s and not forget. Most of us local folks understand why (at the age of 65) Mr. Suttman wants to retire and close his store, but we are sort of sad to see it and the employees go. Retail (and manufacturing) business is competitive and tough, especially if and after past and potential customers finally have enough stuff.

Leon Harrison
West Carrollton, Ohio