Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,274

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Irish1158

Piqua, OH

#23974 Mar 31, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
While many of us are working this week, often TWO part time jobs, meaning shifts scattered throughout the week and on weekends;
Aren't our Springboro teachers enjoying Spring break, Monday through Friday; and isn't their paychecks set up to receive payment throughout this week that they are on Spring break;
even though they do not come to the classroom?
Perhaps public school teachers would be compensated for their work more equally with the private sector, IF teachers were simply paid an hourly rate for each hour they are in the classroom? And why should teachers be PAID vacation for the holidays when school is closed, or be paid for spring and summer break, IF they are not in the classroom?
As a teacher on "vacation" I have spent everyday writing reports, planning for the 14 school days left till the OAA's, writing a story using sight words that the kids need to know by the end of the year. So, if you think all teachers go to Florida on vacation you don't really know for a fact what the teachers do during their "vacation" do you? Please don't generalize and put all teachers in the same category. Drive by the schools over the week-ends and 10 to 1, especially the elementary schools, you will see cars in the parking lot. We may only contractually have to be in the building for 7.25 hours but I don't know of many teachers who are not there at least 1/2 hour before and about 45 minutes later and then bring work home with them. Can't tell you the last time I watched a TV show. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize.
observer

Lebanon, OH

#23975 Mar 31, 2013
what happened to posts 23973, 23972, and 23970?

They were on how many hours the teacher's contrt dictated and how much that broke down in hourly wages.
One was a new teacher, one was $48K, one was $60K, and one was $75K. Pretty good hourly wage I would say.
Good Work

Piqua, OH

#23976 Mar 31, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
As a teacher on "vacation" I have spent everyday writing reports, planning for the 14 school days left till the OAA's, writing a story using sight words that the kids need to know by the end of the year. So, if you think all teachers go to Florida on vacation you don't really know for a fact what the teachers do during their "vacation" do you? Please don't generalize and put all teachers in the same category. Drive by the schools over the week-ends and 10 to 1, especially the elementary schools, you will see cars in the parking lot. We may only contractually have to be in the building for 7.25 hours but I don't know of many teachers who are not there at least 1/2 hour before and about 45 minutes later and then bring work home with them. Can't tell you the last time I watched a TV show. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize.
Please keep up the good work; A fair day's pay for a fair day's work. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize that ALL Springboro School district voters OWE the school district's union employees NEW MONEY for increased salaries and more benefits.

As parents (both working to earn money to support our household needs and pay our taxes), we would love the "workplace freedom" of taking our work "home" where our children are!
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#23977 Mar 31, 2013
45066sense wrote:
<quoted text>
You're crazy dude!
Ah-ha... there you go again, oh bully one of the union-indoctrination mind. Same old tactics to ridicule and silence any post on this blog with thoughts are not of the "collective union" severely misguided mind. Get yourself a job and stop your bullying for dollars!
Irish1158

Piqua, OH

#23979 Mar 31, 2013
Good Work wrote:
<quoted text>
Please keep up the good work; A fair day's pay for a fair day's work. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize that ALL Springboro School district voters OWE the school district's union employees NEW MONEY for increased salaries and more benefits.
As parents (both working to earn money to support our household needs and pay our taxes), we would love the "workplace freedom" of taking our work "home" where our children are!
I do take my work home where my children are.....and do their homework with them and help them become better citizens who understand that you would not be where you are today without teachers who cared enough about you, sometimes more than your own parents do, so you could be where you are today. Oh wait, perhaps you didn't have caring teachers and that is why you are the narrow minded bigot that you are today. Perhaps if Ohio would start funding schools the legal way they are supposed to we wouldn't be in the mess we are. We have been working on the same contract for 5 years so you have gotten a bang for your buck. We are still excellent with distinction, not because of you narrow-minded bigots but because we care period, end of statement.
definitions

Lebanon, OH

#23980 Mar 31, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do take my work home where my children are.....and do their homework with them and help them become better citizens who understand that you would not be where you are today without teachers who cared enough about you, sometimes more than your own parents do, so you could be where you are today. Oh wait, perhaps you didn't have caring teachers and that is why you are the narrow minded bigot that you are today. Perhaps if Ohio would start funding schools the legal way they are supposed to we wouldn't be in the mess we are. We have been working on the same contract for 5 years so you have gotten a bang for your buck. We are still excellent with distinction, not because of you narrow-minded bigots but because we care period, end of statement.
I would not be hollaring too loud about being excellent with distinction if I learned anything off this blog is that means that you had a bunch of kids pass tests by scoring anywhere from 32% of the material right and up. That doesn't sound like much to be patting yourself on the back about.
What is wrong with a contract signed in 2008 when the good times were rolling, I bet it is better than the one you get next time. I know lots of caring people and they aren't teachers, you don't have the market cornered on caring.
We are very fortunate

Girard, OH

#23981 Mar 31, 2013
I am not a teacher, but I am very blessed with a good job and wonderful family. I am thankful my family is healthy. I am thankful for a wonderful home and community.

I work many hours. I appreciate the love and care teachers provide my children outside of my house. Most teachers with Masters make in the $40k range for the hours worked.

This does not include summers or days off. We are blessed we have this freedom to debate. It is unfortunate the economy has brought out ugliness in so many.

If teaching is easy, please try it for a month, then share your opinion. I am not going to try it.
Really Hard Jobs

Lebanon, OH

#23982 Mar 31, 2013
We are very fortunate wrote:
I am not a teacher, but I am very blessed with a good job and wonderful family. I am thankful my family is healthy. I am thankful for a wonderful home and community.
I work many hours. I appreciate the love and care teachers provide my children outside of my house. Most teachers with Masters make in the $40k range for the hours worked.
This does not include summers or days off. We are blessed we have this freedom to debate. It is unfortunate the economy has brought out ugliness in so many.
If teaching is easy, please try it for a month, then share your opinion. I am not going to try it.
Being a garbage man is no day at the beach either. A trauma nurse working in the knife and gun club at Good Sam doesn't have it easy either. How about the night clerk at the convenience store up on North Dixie? The men and women in all kinds of weather conditions day or night keeping your power flowing? The men and women who have given of themselves to protect this country in wastelands like Afghanistan and Iraq on multiple deployments working 24/7, you think they wouldn't like a summer off? Try living in a foxhole for a few days in some crappy weather while somebody is trying to kill you, that will make you appreciate how cush you got it. Spare me the tales of sacrifice a lot of people got it a lot harder.
We are very fortunate

Girard, OH

#23983 Mar 31, 2013
Wow, you have a lot of hatred. I never said any of those people did not have it hard. Your statements are from a bitter person. I am strong hearted conservative.

Putting teachings in the middle of bitter battle solves nothing. This is the situation they were given. They did not wish for this or your negative thoughts towards them. They are people performing a job that many love and are passionate about.

Your statements are band standing and off point. Way to gain public points when you don't have one. Those professions have it very hard. I have not walked in their shoes and I am very thankful for our military, nurses, teachers, etc. All are in battle zones they did not ask for.
Unfortunate

Piqua, OH

#23984 Mar 31, 2013
We are very fortunate wrote:
Wow, you have a lot of hatred. I never said any of those people did not have it hard. Your statements are from a bitter person. I am strong hearted conservative.
Putting teachings in the middle of bitter battle solves nothing. This is the situation they were given. They did not wish for this or your negative thoughts towards them. They are people performing a job that many love and are passionate about.
Your statements are band standing and off point. Way to gain public points when you don't have one. Those professions have it very hard. I have not walked in their shoes and I am very thankful for our military, nurses, teachers, etc. All are in battle zones they did not ask for.
and unfortunate that many good, hard working people in all occupations are being thrust into battle zones of riducule and harsh judgements pitting public service workers vs private sector workers, and bullying arguments of why public service workers are so much more deserving and caring; and should be paid so much more. unfortunate that all Ohio workers don't have the right to work in whatever job they have expertise, with the workplace freedom of earning their pay on their own merit; without being enslaved to payments out of their salaries of big collective union dues.
Irish1158

Piqua, OH

#23985 Mar 31, 2013
I just think we should start a blog on all your jobs and bash the fact that many of you can go to the bathroom when you want to with out a bell telling you when you can or take a phone call when you need to. Do you give your clients your home number? I do because I can usually only talk to parents during off hours because my phone doesn't ring in my classroom. Did you have to get a bachalor's and a master's degree to keep your job? I did. Do you have to deal with clients who could give a damn about the product (their kid). Do you have to go out and buy clothes and food for your clients because they don't have any? Do you ever have to worry about being hit or bit by your clients. I have worked in business for years before I became a teacher and didn't have to deal with this. But I did choose teaching for the passion of helping kids. I do not thinking that asking for a raise after six years is asking too much but you who have never stepped into a classroom as an adult just go on putting us down. It makes you feel superior to those of us who are trying to shape and make a difference in the lives of those who one day will be taking care of your retirement. I hope they treat you the same way you treat those of us that choose to make a difference. Everyone's jobi is important from the garbage man to the clerk that works at a deli. Do you go into the deli and tell the person working at the counter that you don't think you are going to pay them for their food because al they did was throw the meat on the bun. No, you pay for what you get.

You negative people just drive me nuts since you speak without a clue of what it is like to be in a classroom as a teacher. But go ahead, keep complaining that we are over paid, vacation taking lazy people who only want money to live our lavish life style. Oh and by the way, I am loosing my home due to not having a raise, but my heat, Internet, phone bills, groceries, insurance and gas have all increased. Not to mention the tuition for my children's college has increased. I haven't taken a vacation in several years but I am a money grubbing teacher who lives off the hands of you tax paying citizens. Oh wait, I pay taxes here too. You are such narrow-minded bigots and have no compassion. Do you consider yourself a good Christian too? That would be the icing on the cake, since they are supposed to live as Jesus did. Not judging those whom you don't know.
Reject Forced Unionism

Piqua, OH

#23987 Apr 1, 2013
@Irish 1158

Welcome to The Wealthy Community of Caring Springboro! Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners have been fooled for years with the same old mantra from our local government leaders----All homeowners ARE Wealthy encough to continue voting YES to tax increases (needed to increase union employees salaries and benefits) and just leave the "spreading of our community wealth" to the collective "fair share law" of the government
leaders--
Well, top heavy admininstrative costs of local government has now broken the backs of local taxpaying homeowners; We are educating ourselves to say No to tax increases on our family homes and telling our government administrators to CUT local government expenses and learn to live within our means; and the best place to start is with the benefits packages that are costing local homeowners (like Irish1158) to lose their homes.
Irish 1158 did not mention how many dollars of our hard earned school tax dollars are being paid out in big Union Dues, that are then used AGAINST us in local, state and national pro-union campaigns.
The emotional and spiritual manipulation of bitter bloggers "commanding and demanding" that the government "rob Peter to pay Paul" is business as usual political evil strategy, right out of the teachers union bible--
Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.
It is financially unfortunate that a teacher is losing the family home; but no more unfortunate than any other of my neighbors who have lost good paying jobs in the local area, and were forced to sell their homes and relocate to another state where employment was found.
Irish1158 should be reminded that these neighbors did not attack others, blaming their difficult circumstances on their neighbors who had NO compassion... Why do teachers think this school-yard bullying of their neighbors is effective in forcing MORE money out of homeowners household budget?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23989 Apr 1, 2013
Average is the total of all salaries divided by the number of teachers
Median is the exact middle of the frequency distribution equal number above and below that point.

School Year
2010-2011 School Year
050427 Springboro Community City

School..........Teacher Salary Avg .........Teacher Salary Median
Clearcreek Elementary School......$49,019..........4 7,092
Dennis Elementary East..........54,847.......... 45,623
Dennis Elementary West..........60,759.......... 49,252
Five Points Elementary East..........53,164.......... 45,839
Five Points Elementary West.........$48,416.......... 42,859
Springboro High School..........60,003........ ..60,140
Springboro Intermediate School....$54,839..........49, 252
Springboro Junior High School......$56,180..........5 0,116

John R. Kasich, Governor | Dr. Richard A. Ross, Superintendent of Public Instruction | Contact ODE | Web site notes | Contact Web Services | ODE home | Ohio home | ODE Intranet | Feedback | remote email
Ohio Department of Education, 25 South Front Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215
Irish1158

Piqua, OH

#23991 Apr 1, 2013
Reject Forced Unionism wrote:
@Irish 1158
Welcome to The Wealthy Community of Caring Springboro! Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners have been fooled for years with the same old mantra from our local government leaders----All homeowners ARE Wealthy encough to continue voting YES to tax increases (needed to increase union employees salaries and benefits) and just leave the "spreading of our community wealth" to the collective "fair share law" of the government
leaders--
Well, top heavy admininstrative costs of local government has now broken the backs of local taxpaying homeowners; We are educating ourselves to say No to tax increases on our family homes and telling our government administrators to CUT local government expenses and learn to live within our means; and the best place to start is with the benefits packages that are costing local homeowners (like Irish1158) to lose their homes.
Irish 1158 did not mention how many dollars of our hard earned school tax dollars are being paid out in big Union Dues, that are then used AGAINST us in local, state and national pro-union campaigns.
The emotional and spiritual manipulation of bitter bloggers "commanding and demanding" that the government "rob Peter to pay Paul" is business as usual political evil strategy, right out of the teachers union bible--
Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.
It is financially unfortunate that a teacher is losing the family home; but no more unfortunate than any other of my neighbors who have lost good paying jobs in the local area, and were forced to sell their homes and relocate to another state where employment was found.
Irish1158 should be reminded that these neighbors did not attack others, blaming their difficult circumstances on their neighbors who had NO compassion... Why do teachers think this school-yard bullying of their neighbors is effective in forcing MORE money out of homeowners household budget?
As stated before, come do my job for a week, be sure to wear long sleeve in case you get bit, then we can have a more intelligent conversation. Oh, and by the way, the kids need size 7 to 10 clothing and they like graham crackers for breakfast. Don't forget the milk too cause some of them don't drink that for breakfast, their caring parents give them Mountain Dew and Poptarts.

I hope you don't need surgery during the week either because our "fantastic" insurance doesn't cover that much and and your simple surgery will end up costing you $10,000.

Have a blessed day.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23993 Apr 1, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated before, come do my job for a week, be sure to wear long sleeve in case you get bit, then we can have a more intelligent conversation. Oh, and by the way, the kids need size 7 to 10 clothing and they like graham crackers for breakfast. Don't forget the milk too cause some of them don't drink that for breakfast, their caring parents give them Mountain Dew and Poptarts.
I hope you don't need surgery during the week either because our "fantastic" insurance doesn't cover that much and and your simple surgery will end up costing you $10,000.
Have a blessed day.
In America you are free to pursue any direction or career you please. Each career comes with its own set of virtues and vices. How those line up with your particular wants and desires is up to you to balance.

If you find teaching an onerous profession, perhaps you need to pursue other options. No one is locked into a position, we all have options and it sounds like from the tone of your post you are ready to jump out of the pan and into the fire. Frightening as it may seem, you will look back and soon discover that it was the best move you ever made.

Life is too short to waste toiling in a position you obviously despise.
Parent Power

Piqua, OH

#23994 Apr 1, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have a blessed day.
Don't bully me, Teacher. YOU do not CLOTHE NOR FEED my child!
And neither should YOU have opportunity as a school employee to "FEED" the Minds of Children from your big bowl full of bitterness and resentment.
Are there absolutely no expectations in princples of work ethics of Springboro Schools employees? How did a teacher with this unprofessional attitude toward children and their parents et into our children's classroom?
And more importantly, how can parents and concerned citizens for our children's future get non-caring teachers out of our classrooms?
Irish1158

Piqua, OH

#23998 Apr 1, 2013
Parent Power wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bully me, Teacher. YOU do not CLOTHE NOR FEED my child!
And neither should YOU have opportunity as a school employee to "FEED" the Minds of Children from your big bowl full of bitterness and resentment.
Are there absolutely no expectations in princples of work ethics of Springboro Schools employees? How did a teacher with this unprofessional attitude toward children and their parents et into our children's classroom?
And more importantly, how can parents and concerned citizens for our children's future get non-caring teachers out of our classrooms?
It is funny that you call me uncaring. No maybe I don't have to feed or cloth YOUR children but there are a number of kids who come to school on an empty stomach. I have no resentment about what I do or why I do it. I just would like a cost of living raise but if you think that is asking too much fine, I will continue to feed, cloth and love my students and my job. All I have been trying to get across is that it is a profession and I am tired of being treated like a lazy, money grubbing individual. I pay taxes too. I don't resent it if the police or fire department ask for a raise and they are union employees I believe. I don't resent my taxes going up to fund better township services because I know that when all is said and done the better your community the better the housing prices are. Too bad in my neighborhood so many houses are for sale and no one is buying because of the disparity of people in the community. A community that is as divided as ours is not a place most people moving want to come to. Everyone loses in that case.

Anyway, I am done arguing with the narrow minded bigots on this sight. I think I will go back to my job and try to teach my students tolerance and perhaps they will be better citizens then most of you self-centered people on here.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23999 Apr 1, 2013
The $900 million that Stockton owes to the California Public Employees' Retirement System to cover pension promises is its biggest debt. So far Stockton has kept up with pension payments while it has reneged on other debts, maintaining that it needs a strong pension plan to retain its pared-down workforce.

By 2009 Stockton had accumulated nearly $1 billion in debt on civic improvements, money owed to pay pension contributions, and the most generous health care benefit in the stateŚcoverage for life for all retirees plus a dependent, no matter how long they had worked for the city.

I wonder how these contracts and obligations were negotiated?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100578156
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24000 Apr 1, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is funny that you call me uncaring. No maybe I don't have to feed or cloth YOUR children but there are a number of kids who come to school on an empty stomach. I have no resentment about what I do or why I do it. I just would like a cost of living raise but if you think that is asking too much fine, I will continue to feed, cloth and love my students and my job. All I have been trying to get across is that it is a profession and I am tired of being treated like a lazy, money grubbing individual. I pay taxes too. I don't resent it if the police or fire department ask for a raise and they are union employees I believe. I don't resent my taxes going up to fund better township services because I know that when all is said and done the better your community the better the housing prices are. Too bad in my neighborhood so many houses are for sale and no one is buying because of the disparity of people in the community. A community that is as divided as ours is not a place most people moving want to come to. Everyone loses in that case.
Anyway, I am done arguing with the narrow minded bigots on this sight. I think I will go back to my job and try to teach my students tolerance and perhaps they will be better citizens then most of you self-centered people on here.
Thank you for your Mother Teresa outlook for our children, I am sure all of the dirt bag parents you describe appreciate your altruistic efforts.

Police ad Firemen work 52 weeks per year, providing service every day of the year and around the clock. 2080 hours of service vs 1181.25 hours for our professional teaching staff.
175 days x 7.25 hours per day= 1268.75 hours per year - 87.5 hours for lunch = 1181.25 per year

When I checked the states salary reports going back to 2008 I do not find many teachers who have not had a raise each year(by many I am talking about less than 7% our of 330 odd teachers). Everyone else had raises some of them quite substantial,($7-10,000 dollars).

I believe that is substantially more than a mere cost of living raise. This flies in the face of your claim that you have not had a raise in many years, unless you are one of the top earners to begin with making over $60,000 per school year (1181.25 hours or $50.79/hour wage)

$60,000 on 175 days is $342.83 per day.

Those unsold houses will translate into lower property tax dollars available to pay your salary.

Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.

If my numbers are incorrect, please feel free to correct them with a reasonable explanation.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#24001 Apr 2, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
I just think we should start a blog on all your jobs and bash the fact that many of you can go to the bathroom when you want to with out a bell telling you when you can or take a phone call when you need to. Do you give your clients your home number? I do because I can usually only talk to parents during off hours because my phone doesn't ring in my classroom. Did you have to get a bachalor's and a master's degree to keep your job? I did. Do you have to deal with clients who could give a damn about the product (their kid). Do you have to go out and buy clothes and food for your clients because they don't have any? Do you ever have to worry about being hit or bit by your clients. I have worked in business for years before I became a teacher and didn't have to deal with this. But I did choose teaching for the passion of helping kids. I do not thinking that asking for a raise after six years is asking too much but you who have never stepped into a classroom as an adult just go on putting us down. It makes you feel superior to those of us who are trying to shape and make a difference in the lives of those who one day will be taking care of your retirement. I hope they treat you the same way you treat those of us that choose to make a difference. Everyone's jobi is important from the garbage man to the clerk that works at a deli. Do you go into the deli and tell the person working at the counter that you don't think you are going to pay them for their food because al they did was throw the meat on the bun. No, you pay for what you get.
You negative people just drive me nuts since you speak without a clue of what it is like to be in a classroom as a teacher. But go ahead, keep complaining that we are over paid, vacation taking lazy people who only want money to live our lavish life style. Oh and by the way, I am loosing my home due to not having a raise, but my heat, Internet, phone bills, groceries, insurance and gas have all increased. Not to mention the tuition for my children's college has increased. I haven't taken a vacation in several years but I am a money grubbing teacher who lives off the hands of you tax paying citizens. Oh wait, I pay taxes here too. You are such narrow-minded bigots and have no compassion. Do you consider yourself a good Christian too? That would be the icing on the cake, since they are supposed to live as Jesus did. Not judging those whom you don't know.
Thanks for all you do!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beavercreek Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 31,184
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Chet Booswahnicki 19,226
"Is there an ISIS crisis at levy time?" Sat Leon Harrison 1
ING is now Yoya, a brand-new investment and ret... Sat Leon Harison 3
This is your lucky Monday! Sat Leon Harison 7
Riverside Police (Sep '11) Sat Do Something 22
Warning Homeowners Bad Contractor Pro Plus aka ... Sep 19 Angie45505 1
•••
•••
•••

Beavercreek Jobs

•••
•••
•••