Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,901 - 22,920 of 31,115 Comments Last updated 52 min ago
About that Village

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You can't make all parents better, but the ones who do want the help will certainly take advantage of whatever is offered. If we are able to reach more parents and make them aware of the resources we have at hand through say a combination of old fashion notes sent home, phone calls, emails, or texts, then more will move in the direction that benefits all. Communication is the key, just as it is in so many endeavors.
I like many of your suggestions and quick brainstorming in this section. That kind of free thinking, when applied over a community, will almost certainly develop the winning strategy to accomplish our goals.
2) Listen to the union mantra, its Animal Farm on steroids.
3) I would suggest utilizing existing tests from an international level. After all, that is who our children will be competing against in the future. The international tests far exceed the state tests so our bases would be covered from a state level.
4) Classes devoted to learning how to learn. These may seem rather silly but the main reason employers like to hire college graduates is because they have demonstrated the ability to learn.
Developing an ongoing program that builds year upon year, we would take what is assumed to be a universal skill and turn it into an actual skill set weapon that can be employed now and in the future.
Learning how to learn is when the light bulb goes on in a student's mind and they finally get what we have been talking about.
5) As I said, all children are different and we are free to reinvent the wheel here. From traditional books, to multimedia, to home learning, to rigid programs of study to free wheeling exchanges of ideas, we are not chained to the past.
6) We have plenty of money, it is a matter of how we deploy that particular asset to its best use.
You appear to have rather open and inquisitive mind, what would you do? Ask that question of enough people and plans begin to develop.
7) It doesn't really take a village, it takes a few lonely souls to stand up and be counted for a change.
Neither I, nor anyone else, have all the answers or even a fraction of them. Collectively, however, our individual experiences and knowledge when brought together gives us something that can become great. Our Founding Fathers spent years honing a constitution, great works require great effort.
Are you in or are you out?
Isn't "it takes a village" from an old African proverb simply meaning that the village it takes to raise a child is the child's immediate and extended family, including parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters; as was the custom of several generations living nearby one another and often moving from place to place with one another because of their dependency upon one another to keep the family unit strong
and self-supportive? Wasn't it Hillary Clinton that first politically coined the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" in the self-serving context of "it takes a lot of big government agencies micro-mananging every detail of the family's private life to raise a child?"
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Convert Graceland wrote:
This link is for Tenn schools.6716
we can do it

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Small Town Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
How fortunate are we in Springboro to have good caring neighbors willing to share their concerns for all children; investing time to research these flaws in our system; and suggesting actions to be taken for further insight. After all we have learned, isn't it time for our school district leaders/taxpayers to take that next step toward higher a professional group to help us pursue answers to why springboro should consider a conversion school?
It would be awfully nice for this community to be able to discuss conversion schools all on its own.
Whoops! I almost forgot! So far that conversation has been stifled by Babb's mob of paranoia.
Remember This Date

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

PSEO wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this why the high school never pushed PSEO?
Never mind the kids needs we have staff to keep employed.
SHS will be hosting our annual P.S.E.O. meeting Wednesday, February 13, at 6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium. All Parents and students interested in attending college while still in high school should attend.
Special Bully Status

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

hater wrote:
<quoted text>
If she leaves, we'd have five less Brats to educate. I've heard that her kids are Troublemakers who are barely pass some of their classes. They're probably the ones scoring low on tests and bringing our district scores down! Her high school son was kicked off the cross country team this year, I heard he was suspended twice! Good riddance. Stay home with your kids Tiff, you're a terrible mother!
Reading between the lines, the message here is that nobody, nor nobody's child, should be bullied nor have personal character attacked on this blog. It's just wrong; and it makes everyone who reads this uncomfortable; so please stop.
That said, the public behavior of our community bullies, including Tiffany, Lisa, and Sarah, among others, clearly reveal to the community as a whole that these parents are neither good role models for children, nor good neighbors, nor responsible citizens in our community.
Yet, year after year, our school administrators cling to these few parents, puffing them up with their special bully status as the parents who are chosen to sit along with school staff on either side of the most influential school employee of them all -- our school superintendent -- who after all, used very poor judgement in "dubbing" these bullies as his district parent council members commissioned to "communicate" the school districts needs to the community as a whole.
If a child misbehaves in the classroom, and the teacher gives "atta-boy pats" on the child's head, will the child not continue misbehavior that is rewarded with the attention that is sought?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

hater wrote:
<quoted text>
If she leaves, we'd have five less Brats to educate. I've heard that her kids are Troublemakers who are barely pass some of their classes. They're probably the ones scoring low on tests and bringing our district scores down! Her high school son was kicked off the cross country team this year, I heard he was suspended twice! Good riddance. Stay home with your kids Tiff, you're a terrible mother!
Please, this is B......t!

If you don't like what someone is saying, refute that, this on the other hand is utter crapola.

If you want to write this, put your real name on the page.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Doug, I was asking about this statement "Yes, charter schools have had a spotty history, particularly in urban areas. However there are many examples of conversion school success especially in areas that generally mirror the demographics of Springboro. "
I just wanted the names of the districts referred to in this post.
Again, what are you defining as successful? What is the background of the schools you are referring to in this post? Which areas generally mimic the demographics of Springboro?

A conversion school can do what ever we put our minds to accomplish. We have the talent, the resources, the student base, and the will to make it work to our defined ends.

We can certainly learn from others mistakes and successes, but success means many different things to many different people. Defining it first is the only method to truly measure what we are trying to accomplish. Merely asking if something is a success or failure in a vacuum tells us nothing.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what are you defining as successful? What is the background of the schools you are referring to in this post? Which areas generally mimic the demographics of Springboro?
A conversion school can do what ever we put our minds to accomplish. We have the talent, the resources, the student base, and the will to make it work to our defined ends.
We can certainly learn from others mistakes and successes, but success means many different things to many different people. Defining it first is the only method to truly measure what we are trying to accomplish. Merely asking if something is a success or failure in a vacuum tells us nothing.
I just want the posters on here to name these successful schools and districts they keep referring to. I would define success by how they do on state testing.
Miller Valentine

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Anyone on here work with David Petroni at Miller Valentine?
Boro Backer

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

hater wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not close to the Carlisle family, but I do have children the same age as her children, and what you posted about her family could not be further from the truth. Not only was her son not kicked off of the cross country team, he was one of their better runners this season and has never been suspended. Her children are smart, polite, well-rounded, and well-mannered and are the kind of children that both teachers and coaches enjoy having in their classroom or on their team. I should know as my husband has coached her son in the past. To wrongly disparage her family as you have done is a disgrace and is yet another example of why I take any of the "facts" as presented by posters such as yourself with a grain of salt.
Tell It Like It Is

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

common core is rotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Step #1:
Like our Hoosier neighbors to the West, join a growing grassroots movement to leverage each and every Ohio school district away from the Federal economic blackmail commonly known as Common Core teaching standards.
Common core has been nothing more than a FAILURE everywhere, Ohio's public schools being no exception. These days around the state of Ohio, the reason hundreds upon hundreds of districts pat themselves on the back while proudly displaying "Excellent" banners generally has not so much to do with improved quality of teaching. This has a lot more to do with image protection. Our students' standards have been very quietly lowered thru the years in order to help mask the flaws that are inherent in this system of teaching that has been rammed down our throats by the blackmailing FEDS in DC.
Why is the OAA bar systematically lowered? Common Core teaching methods has lead to a propensity to want to "feel good" about education. At the end of the day, Common Core teaching methods turn a blind eye as to HOW WELL the children are educated.
Ohio's distorted mandated Common Core teaching methods are behind why so many A students (and yes even a lot of "gifted" students) end up having to take remedial classes before they can begin their college major.
More...
http://stopcommoncore.com/
http://americansforprosperity.org/indiana/new...
How low can our status quo board member Don Miller pull down our children first into this rotten common core of bad apples for our children's future?
Please, Mr. Miller, will you please go now...for the kids?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want the posters on here to name these successful schools and districts they keep referring to. I would define success by how they do on state testing.
Fair enough. Now how much of an improvement will you deem success?
And what type of improvement are they focused upon as their mission?

These schools can be whatever you design them to be and whatever mission you ask them to pursue.

Your question remains a shotgun fired into space looking for targets.
A real dialogue could be had with more thought on your part, until then we can't begin to have an actual conversation.

Let's open a dialogue about how we can integrate such a school in this district that works to alleviate the failure of 3/8's of our students. How do we design a program that meets those needs? How do we deploy our resources to combat this insidious limitation of our current program?

2000 plus kids each year are falling by the wayside according to the state tests. Year in and year out.

How much longer do we feel we can wait to provide them relief?
Yes We Can

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

we can do it wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be awfully nice for this community to be able to discuss conversion schools all on its own.
Whoops! I almost forgot! So far that conversation has been stifled by Babb's mob of paranoia.
Yes We Can discuss conversion schools by staying focused on the strengths of our Springboro Schools and our community; Let's stay focused on our BOE majority's willingness to acknowledge and try problem solving these challenges of higher educational achievement for each one of our kids, throughout our community. Staying focused on the strengths of our schools and community, as our BOE majority is now doing, will minimize the fear and paranoia being stirred throughout our community by the union-supported Babb for Boro failed 2011 campaign.
Babb for Boro union activists have campaigned heavily against our children first in favor of union financial interst first!
Since union activists Lisa Babb and Don Miller refuse to concede the election of November 2011 to our children first elected officials; concerned citizens must claim our responsibility to rise above the low standards for our children's future that Lisa Babb and Don Miller continue protesting in favor of, supported by the Teachers Union pep squad.
snowbird

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Miller Valentine wrote:
Anyone on here work with David Petroni at Miller Valentine?
Does he work there now?
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

For the record, the majority of people at the well-attended school board meeting were not part of the teachers union. Just because I support our great teachers, doesn't mean I am a union thug!
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

After seeing some of the irrational personnel actions taken by our board, I strongly support the teachers right to have a union!
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
After seeing some of the irrational personnel actions taken by our board, I strongly support the teachers right to have a union!
Who said otherwise?

To which irrational acts are you specifically referring that you have personally witnessed?
Hold On

Amelia, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
For the record, the majority of people at the well-attended school board meeting were not part of the teachers union. Just because I support our great teachers, doesn't mean I am a union thug!
Agree! I like you, Lurker.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said otherwise?
To which irrational acts are you specifically referring that you have personally witnessed?
The teachers aren't probably sharing their concerns with you since you were the sponsor of Mr Petroni and Rigano's campaign.
They are very concerned for their jobs and afraid of what could happen to them. These are professionals who should be treated with respect! Not made the scapegoats for everything!
Just a Simple One

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

Judged:

Hold On wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree! I like you, Lurker.
Now alls Ima sayin, Lurker, is that Ima liking me some lurker too; but hey, what about Stephi's stinking performance on January 22?
Now there's a real no-class act performed on behalf of our no class teachers union activists, that you can really "hold on" to lowering our teachers union credibility.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beavercreek Discussions

Search the Beavercreek Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 27 min xxxrayted 29,162
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 28 min Samuel 18,543
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 11 hr not 2,214
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 22 hr They cannot kill a Spook 231
Let's remember our constitution and national debt. 23 hr The Hack Checker 2
Brits want to stop female genital mutilation! 23 hr The Hack Checker 3
Michael Bloomturd has landed in Tel Aviv! 23 hr The Hack Checker 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Beavercreek Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••