Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,761 - 22,780 of 31,139 Comments Last updated 12 hrs ago
Just Because

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Our Springboro school district should invest the
$15,000 consulting fee to explore needed answers to the many questions, that all Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are now asking, about the academic achievements of our students, vs the reputation of success enjoyed by our excellent with distinction rating (which now appears to be pumped up by boro pep squads, cheering on how great our union teachers are).
Just Because

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Mixed wrote:
Integrating a new concept into our existing framework will require thought, deep discussions, and thorough investigation. I do NOT believe I have heard anyone say anything is a slam dunk deal. I do believe the idea was to perform a due diligence with someone that has worked within this field extensively that has a broad and deep understanding of the issues.
I agree with you to some degree here but to give this company 15,000 dollars for them to come here and say "Yes, a conversion school would do wonders here" is hard for me to handle. That company is saying yes no matter what, why not find three companies and give them 5,000 each to come up with an answer.
Because many of us, among Springboro families and community-wide tax payers, already trust the integrity and expertise of our elected school board representative, David Petroni, who has proven by his good works throughout our school district and community, that his only interest in serving the public is to provide the best possible education for all community children, while living within our means.
Springboro school district is very fortunate in having the financial and leadership vision of good citizens, including Mr. Petroni, who are willing to do this difficult job of board member; which pays next to nothing in dollars; but great rewards of standing firm doing the right thing even when doing the right thing is not the popular thing to do.
Special thanks and much apppreciatin are due to our board members for working to make our schools and community a better place to live, work, and learn.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

we agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree - so why are we putting our money in one company's hands before we have had input from other sources (that are free to the district) like talking to Miamisburg and West Carrollton Principals, or other people that have started conversion schools?
We will most likely put it in more than a few hands before we are done. And all of those people are on this list to interview as well.

People sell information all the time, next time you visit your friendly neighborhood lawyer tell him you don't feel you should have to pay for any of his knowledge. See how long he talks to you.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

PSEO wrote:
Who said Springboro wasn't having a PSEO meeting? I was under the impression it was going to be in February - as it always has been. I've already been to one in Springboro a year or two ago.
Well do tell how you discovered this meeting? Inquiring minds want to know.
Mixed

Milford, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2013

Judged:

Just Because wrote:
<quoted text>
Because many of us, among Springboro families and community-wide tax payers, already trust the integrity and expertise of our elected school board representative, David Petroni, who has proven by his good works throughout our school district and community, that his only interest in serving the public is to provide the best possible education for all community children, while living within our means.
Springboro school district is very fortunate in having the financial and leadership vision of good citizens, including Mr. Petroni, who are willing to do this difficult job of board member; which pays next to nothing in dollars; but great rewards of standing firm doing the right thing even when doing the right thing is not the popular thing to do.
Special thanks and much apppreciatin are due to our board members for working to make our schools and community a better place to live, work, and learn.
David, please don't toot your own horn on topix, it's sad man.
Looking for honesty

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
We will most likely put it in more than a few hands before we are done. And all of those people are on this list to interview as well.
People sell information all the time, next time you visit your friendly neighborhood lawyer tell him you don't feel you should have to pay for any of his knowledge. See how long he talks to you.
Good point
Poster wrote that we should ask the principals of other districts that have conversion schools. Now why would they be inclined to be biased?

Why wouldn't a Principal or Superintendent tell the truth? Well lets see, if there is a pocket of State money and you have sole access to it, would you want to tell everyone how you are getting monies that would run out if you tell everyone else how to get it?

Come on, find an unbiased source of conversion school information.
My experience has been that a principal or super does not know how to tell the truth about money. Supers are like zombies that just process information and then spew it out as "give me money, feed me, don't get in the way of the money". I would give my kingdom to find a honest public school superintendent. Springboro might have the only one.
Facing Problems

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Mixed wrote:
Integrating a new concept into our existing framework will require thought, deep discussions, and thorough investigation. I do NOT believe I have heard anyone say anything is a slam dunk deal. I do believe the idea was to perform a due diligence with someone that has worked within this field extensively that has a broad and deep understanding of the issues.
I agree with you to some degree here but to give this company 15,000 dollars for them to come here and say "Yes, a conversion school would do wonders here" is hard for me to handle. That company is saying yes no matter what, why not find three companies and give them 5,000 each to come up with an answer.
It is agreed by many of those attending the January 10 and January 22 Springboro School Board meetings that ....

..Integrating a new concept into our existing framework will require thought, deep discussions, and thorough investigation..

Many also agree that those community political activists, with their own personal agenda and opinions, are wasting taxpayers time and money, denying facts and attacking character of some BOE elected officials; while proving themselves ignorant of "clear unbiased thinking, deep discussion based on facts, and thorough investigation needed to explore the answers to why we should consider a conversion school."

Anytime our school district faces "problem-solving" there are always those fearful-of-the-future status quo ones, coming up with lost of futile arguments against any attempt on the BOE majority's efforts to solve a particular problem.
There are always the same raves and rants and false accusations against the same board members that these highly respected BOE elected officials are making decisions, with which they don't agree, and they complain that it will cost too much money to strive toward students' higher individual achievement, and they point out that board member Don Miller is not "on board" with the reform-minded BOE majority's new philosophy of "children first budgeting."

While it is important for our board representatives to consider the potential consequences of any action, our community as a whole has trust in the good judgement of our BOE majority, and we should not allow the fretting and stewing of a privileged few to paralyze our BOE majority into inaction.
Our school district needs the services of a professional outside consulting group, who knows how to "think" problem solving effectively, because no time is wasted with all the "fearful and futile what ifs" that a few parents are raising at public board meetings.
Oh come on

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

we agree wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree - so why are we putting our money in one company's hands before we have had input from other sources (that are free to the district) like talking to Miamisburg and West Carrollton Principals, or other people that have started conversion schools?
Oh ya cuz they will tell you where their stash of money is so you can get into it tooooo, is fro sure, like, that is a great idea.
PSEO

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Springboro has never been big on "pushing" the PSEO. My feeling was that it would take tax money away from the district, but I don't know if that is true.
Take tax money away where as a conversion school would get us more of are hard earned taxes back from the State. Take money away to teach our kids at a college level, please tell me how that could possibly be a problem for anyone? Could the problem be that the high school does not promote it because they would not need all the teachers they currently have if students went to a college for their course work? If 50 students went to a college for high school credit than does that translate to two teachers? Is this why our kids were discouraged from participating in PSEO?
bullies at BOE meetings

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Facing Problems wrote:
<quoted text>
It is agreed by many of those attending the January 10 and January 22 Springboro School Board meetings that ....
..Integrating a new concept into our existing framework will require thought, deep discussions, and thorough investigation..
Many also agree that those community political activists, with their own personal agenda and opinions, are wasting taxpayers time and money, denying facts and attacking character of some BOE elected officials; while proving themselves ignorant of "clear unbiased thinking, deep discussion based on facts, and thorough investigation needed to explore the answers to why we should consider a conversion school."
Anytime our school district faces "problem-solving" there are always those fearful-of-the-future status quo ones, coming up with lost of futile arguments against any attempt on the BOE majority's efforts to solve a particular problem.
There are always the same raves and rants and false accusations against the same board members that these highly respected BOE elected officials are making decisions, with which they don't agree, and they complain that it will cost too much money to strive toward students' higher individual achievement, and they point out that board member Don Miller is not "on board" with the reform-minded BOE majority's new philosophy of "children first budgeting."
While it is important for our board representatives to consider the potential consequences of any action, our community as a whole has trust in the good judgement of our BOE majority, and we should not allow the fretting and stewing of a privileged few to paralyze our BOE majority into inaction.
Our school district needs the services of a professional outside consulting group, who knows how to "think" problem solving effectively, because no time is wasted with all the "fearful and futile what ifs" that a few parents are raising at public board meetings.
Interesting that the bullies in the crowd that were shouting out, booing and hissing are now the ones trying to make themselves look like victims. These people are spreading rumors now that the board was not paying attention, not crying as they thought they should be and those board members were not intimidated at all.

My guess is that board members are not intimidated by this same old disrespect, rumor mongers, and levy ladies. One thing for sure is that for the first time I have ever attended I saw Don Miller actually pay attention to speakers. Maybe the rumors work on someone.
Bowman

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Ok so anyone else find this persons blogging/timing very interesting?
His business is social communications activism. He started his blogg in November and negotiations are coming up soon. You see, negotiations are won and lost in the public eye first. Is this an employee or just a "concerned parent"?

If you understand how public perception is swayed and how Obama won you see through the clouds here.

You have to make everyone believe that success is bad and someone is a victim, if you accomplish that you have the underdog syndrome. If you feel that teachers are being mistreated they become the underdog and the sympathy goes in their direction. Obama did it. It has now become your legal obligation to spread your wealth and to be ashamed for your successes.

Check it out.
http://ohlmanngroup.com/about/people/david-e-...
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

So you don't have a problem with 2 of our board members having a PAC?

You don't think they are using their PAC to influence public opinion?

David Bowman is writing factual articles about our schools and our school board.

Does that scare you?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

we agree wrote:
<quoted text>
You are going to have to do all of it before you get done, so the sooner we get going the better off all will be.

Picture the program as a tree with many branches all coming back to the trunk in the center.
3 dimensional, 360 degrees in any direction, lots of information that needs to be fed into the decision making process from the branches on all sides, above, and below.

We are capable doing more than one thing at a time.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
David Bowman is writing factual articles about our schools and our school board.
Does that scare you?
Anyone can have a PAC and they all do the same thing, what is wrong with that part of the equation?

That is what PAC's do, you might have missed them in the most recent set of elections we had last fall.

I would like David's blog better if he reopened the comment section. I understand that sometimes people may disagree with his point of view, but out of that discussion come the fruits of debate.

Ask David if he is afraid of the factual debate.
Accountibility

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Looking for honesty wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point
Poster wrote that we should ask the principals of other districts that have conversion schools. Now why would they be inclined to be biased?
Why wouldn't a Principal or Superintendent tell the truth? Well lets see, if there is a pocket of State money and you have sole access to it, would you want to tell everyone how you are getting monies that would run out if you tell everyone else how to get it?
Come on, find an unbiased source of conversion school information.
My experience has been that a principal or super does not know how to tell the truth about money. Supers are like zombies that just process information and then spew it out as "give me money, feed me, don't get in the way of the money". I would give my kingdom to find a honest public school superintendent. Springboro might have the only one.
Springboro has the highest paid superintendent than all others before him; but he is new on the job; and quite vulnerable to falling for the political strategy of crafty community activists groups; citizens must stay informed and hold Mr. Petrey accountabile to work for all Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners investing our school tax dollars in the best interest of education for individual students; not just the collective best interest of public schools.

School boards, not superintendents, are the boss and should act like it

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/edito...
Inquiring Minds

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Keep your eye on the prize, not the obstructionist who insist on keeping the mushrooms in the cave feasting on the stuff that makes mushrooms grow.
2000 plus kids getting a substandard education that no teacher would grant as acceptable in their own homes.
Tens of thousands of dollars that can be saved by utilizing programs that have been in existence for over 16 years that have not been promoted in this district.
The amount of money we collectively, as a community, have lost out on just this past decade would run into the millions.
PEOS, why keep children hanging out in the high school when they have enough credits to graduate, when they could be earning college credits funded by this state program?
The state wants your child to do well. College is extremely expensive, to keep this program from the community at large is tantamount to criminal action.
So why is Mr. Petrey not communicating this information to district parents, using the new website resources and the boro e-newsletters? Why is this PEOS not promoted as a cost savings to taxpayers in this school district who are wondering: why are we being taxed for more course credits of extra-curriculars that are beyond graduation requirements?
Inquiring Minds

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Last summer, the Springboro Police Department received a complaint from newly installed officers of the Clearcreek Youth Soccer Association about discrepancies in the organizationís bank accounts.
Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/Court...
And I wonder if a complaint was filed by the Boosters about a similar situation?
If so, where are the results from that one?
If not, why not?
Why have these questions about what happened to that Boosters investigation been drowned out by the applause of Mr. Petrey's recognition certificates at the January 22 public school board meeting? And what are the details of that 80-20 sports contract deal coming up with the individual sports coaches?
Are these the same coaches that have refused transparency in their financial records?
Read the Contract

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Judged:

Just Because wrote:
Our Springboro school district should invest the
$15,000 consulting fee to explore needed answers to the many questions, that all Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are now asking, about the academic achievements of our students, vs the reputation of success enjoyed by our excellent with distinction rating (which now appears to be pumped up by boro pep squads, cheering on how great our union teachers are).
You obviously don't know what is in the contract. The money and this Callender Group will not answer the questions parents have about the academic achievements of our students. The first phase of the contract doesn't even require them to look out Springboro schools at all!
PAC

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Lurker wrote:
Does that scare you?
Which two have a PAC?
If Lisa gets on this board she has a PAC is that scary for you?
PAC

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2013

Many of us are on boards of many orgs. For example, I am on the board of the hospital, Health Dept and two others, does this mean that I can't possibly have another interest that may be political?
Having a PAC should mean a person is involved and unafraid to speak in support of what they believe.
I see no problem with that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Beavercreek Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Beavercreek Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••