OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, Sta...

OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Question 756

Created by CitizenTopix on Oct 11, 2010

1,568 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Joyce

Charlotte, AR

#63691 Mar 18, 2014
Someone pointed it out and it amused me. "It took a Black President for Republicans to lose their minds and all the racism and bigotry to start pouring out like a backed up toilet."
Donnie

Charlotte, AR

#63692 Mar 18, 2014
“As a follower of Jesus Christ..."

Game over, right there. Like George
Carlin said: "Politicians always hide behind the same three things: the Flag, the Bible, and children."
Audry

Charlotte, AR

#63693 Mar 18, 2014
And I bet he would tell you he is a Christian.
Mind you Christ would not keep a spot for him in heaven.
Lisa

Charlotte, AR

#63694 Mar 18, 2014
Neil deGrasse Tyson Is Really Starting To Scare Conservatives

The wingnut panic over the show Cosmos is incredibly amusing to me. It’s understandable, because Neil deGrasse Tyson is really good at being clear and concise about science and he eviscerates right wing attempts to muddy the waters with precision. I particularly liked this quote from an interview on Inquiring Minds:“I claim that all those who think they can cherry-pick science simply don’t understand how science works,” because science, unlike theology or musical taste, isn’t a matter of just taking what you like and leaving the rest behind. What is interesting—and threatening—about Cosmos is it asserts interconnectedness of science. Evolution and the “big bang” theory are inseparable, and knowing how old and vast the universe is makes it much, much easier to understand how evolution works.

This runs strongly counter to the conservative approach to science. Conservatives don’t want to be perceived as anti-science, so they claim a general support for it and then just suddenly and coincidentally have “reservations” about science that runs against their political interests. So you have people who wouldn’t dare dream of saying that physics as a field is wrong, but somehow still manage to convince themselves the that laws of physics are suddenly suspended when they point to the conclusion of man-made climate change. Or they have to accept that sexual reproduction, by its nature, creates descent with modification, but they somehow decide that this can’t be true over vast expanses of time. Cosmos makes that kind of cherry-picking hard to pull off. Tyson knows that if you understand, for instance, how dog breeds came to be, you understand evolution and can’t reasonably deny that, over much longer periods of time, you could get way, way more genetic diversity through natural selection.

In my post last week about these issues, I asked why Christian fundies are much less interested in building the case against the old-and-vast universe, even though they clearly don’t believe in it any more than evolution, than they are trying to sow doubt about evolution. This, even though the age and the size of the universe tend to argue against their god more than even evolution does. I neglected to mention that I suspect the main reason is tradition. The fight between evolutionary biologists and fundies predates many of the theories about the universe and certainly predates the popularization of those theories. It’s an arbitrary accident of history. You know, like a lot of evolved features are.

I cannot emphasize enough the arbitrary nature of the attacks on evolutionary theory. Fundamentalists are not interested in crafting legitimate criticisms of science. They just want to cough up a bunch of random “reasons” to disbelieve the science so that their followers can latch onto that as an excuse for why they reject science, and that’s it. That’s why they put astrophysics mostly on “ignore” and focus on evolution, because all their followers need to know is that “criticisms” exist and they can feel good about believing a bunch of bullshit.
Lisa

Charlotte, AR

#63695 Mar 18, 2014
PZ Myers has a fun post up about one of the fellows at the Discovery Institute taking cheap potshots at Cosmos and it’s fascinating, because it shows how much his job is to create the illusion that there are “questions” about evolution and that’s it. The point is not to create counter-theories and it’s certainly not about grappling with the overwhelming amount of evidence from various fields of science that point to an old universe that we evolved very recently, relatively speaking, in. It’s about tossing up a few distracting lies, like “biologists can’t explain the eyeball”, and allowing believers to comfort themselves with the lies. But it really comes across as lame if you take a wide view.

The fellow in question, Jay Richards, was all agitated about the evolution episode of Cosmos.

But on the first episode, where Tyson explains that the universe is over 13 billion years old and that there are likely many universes and that we are like a dust speck in Bill Gates’ mansion in our relative size to the universe, he had nothing much to say on Twitter. Which is interesting, because the size and age of the universe are much harder to comprehend than the possibility that an eye evolved over a few hundred thousand generations. But that’s the point: He isn’t interested in comprehending either physics or biology. He is interested in throwing up a few nonsensical claims that supposedly cast doubt on evolution and calling it a day, safe and secure in the knowledge that the fundies he’s pandering to won’t look or think any further about the issue than to feel comfortable dismissing it out of hand. It’s actually kind of weird, if you think about it.
Ace

Charlotte, AR

#63696 Mar 18, 2014
Religious people have no evidence, let alone proof, that their worldview is factual, so they keep turning to science, demanding that they prove religion. When science comes up empty with religious proof, religious people blame the scientists. Perhaps they should blame their religion.
Bud

Charlotte, AR

#63697 Mar 18, 2014
The fact that it pisses off the wing nuts makes me like Cosmos even more
Donnie

Charlotte, AR

#63698 Mar 18, 2014
the Catholic Church accepts evolution and argues that it is not in conflict with the belief in God. It is the fundamentalists who refuse to accept evolution. And, to be accurate, Darwin talked about the origin of species, not the origin of the universe, and if I remember correctly, he did not address how the very first living things arose. However, I do believe he did not believe in God. He just had to say or not say certain things to keep the religious folk at bay, much as holding up a cross in front of you keeps the vampires away. Works every time unless the vampire is Jewish.
Alfred

Charlotte, AR

#63699 Mar 18, 2014
Now gods are a regular feature. Clue: If you want to suggest gods do something that affects reality, you have to prove gods exist, which no one has done yet, and never will. you christianists are relentless, if nothing else. But we have one advantage, you are very visible in your ignorance, and the reality used against you. You will lie and slither and shift to stay credible, then just slip in a few 'gods' to proselytize. You're a clown.
Packing Heat

Charlotte, AR

#63700 Mar 18, 2014
Ok thanx. I took off work today cause I drank too many Yuenglings last night while playing poker. So today I've been looking up stuff to read and learn ever since I finished the paper this AM.
I once tested with an IQ of way over 40 and you know what I have learned?
That there's just way too much stuff to know
Jenks

Charlotte, AR

#63701 Mar 18, 2014
Red states are sick states.
WarForOIl

Grapevine, TX

#63704 Mar 18, 2014
Packing Heat wrote:
According to a cost report from eHealthInsurance, a nationwide online private insurance exchange, families are paying an average of $663 a month and singles $274 a month, far more than before Obamacare kicked in.

The firm provided the costs to Secrets through their new online price index,
You will plainly believe anything you wish to.
eHealthInsurance plainly states " All data is for 2014 Affordable Care Act plans
without a subsidy applied."

A huge proportion of enrollments are subsidized.
My wife's was subsidized to down to $0/mo for a silver plan.

You've been watching too much FOX News.

Are the IRS agents still parked in front of your house.
Packing Heat

Afton, OK

#63705 Mar 19, 2014
WarForOIl wrote:
<quoted text>
You will plainly believe anything you wish to.
eHealthInsurance plainly states " All data is for 2014 Affordable Care Act plans
without a subsidy applied."
A huge proportion of enrollments are subsidized.
My wife's was subsidized to down to $0/mo for a silver plan.
You've been watching too much FOX News.
Are the IRS agents still parked in front of your house.

Yep that is what it said infected one, your point?

Thankfully Obamacare will all be gone soon mr parasite then what will that bitch do?

Never said IRS has ever been to my house, you started that lie but...
continue to lie, it is what you do best. In fact, that is all you do.
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#63706 Mar 19, 2014
Packing Heat wrote:
<quoted text>

Never said IRS has ever been to my house, you started that lie
but... continue to lie, it is what you do best. In fact, that is all you do.
Just like you said you've never hidden millions in gold in your
backyard. And that TOPIX never censors 5 outta 6 of your posts.

Reality doesn't change as easily as your fantasies.
Packing Heat

Afton, OK

#63707 Mar 19, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like you said you've never hidden millions in gold in your
backyard. And that TOPIX never censors 5 outta 6 of your posts.
Reality doesn't change as easily as your fantasies.

Wrong Chester... those are your fantasies. You took what I really said and twisted it into your jealous fantasy and have sniffed after me like the bitch dog in heat you are, ROFLMAO.

That is the thing about you downtrodden commoners, you hate successful people because you don't have a clue how to earn wealth. That was obvious when you had to depend on Obamacare to insure the bitch you claim as your wife.

Silver Plan... ROFLMAO - You low-life ignorant dolt!
Why do you post your idiocy?
What do you get out of it?

Yes... your Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is sad but I do enjoy laughing at the stupidity you continue to show..
Packing Heat

Afton, OK

#63708 Mar 19, 2014
Libtards - Only 280 days until your depression hits its all time low...

Get your antidepressants early and often.
Packing Heat

Afton, OK

#63709 Mar 19, 2014
Now that Obama has issued the red line, and a dare you...
Will he issue the double dog dare after the Ukraine navel base attack?

The world wants to know what the mom jean wearing fist man's next avant will be.

Of course that sissyfied puke will back down just like he did last time Putin bitch slapped Obama like he did over Syria. He's a Coward and the whole world knows it!
So What

Choctaw, OK

#63710 Mar 19, 2014
Packing Heat wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Chester... those are your fantasies. You took what I really said and twisted it into your jealous fantasy and have sniffed after me like the bitch dog in heat you are, ROFLMAO.
That is the thing about you downtrodden commoners, you hate successful people because you don't have a clue how to earn wealth. That was obvious when you had to depend on Obamacare to insure the bitch you claim as your wife.
Silver Plan... ROFLMAO - You low-life ignorant dolt!
Why do you post your idiocy?
What do you get out of it?
Yes... your Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is sad but I do enjoy laughing at the stupidity you continue to show..
LOL! Hard to believe that you think "the bitch dog in heat" is the one that does the sniffing.

It's even harder to believe, I thought better of you. How stupid of me.

Go ahead WFO, let me have it. I deserve it.
So What

Choctaw, OK

#63711 Mar 19, 2014
Packing Heat wrote:
Now that Obama has issued the red line, and a dare you...
Will he issue the double dog dare after the Ukraine navel base attack?
The world wants to know what the mom jean wearing fist man's next avant will be.
Of course that sissyfied puke will back down just like he did last time Putin bitch slapped Obama like he did over Syria. He's a Coward and the whole world knows it!
Ukraine navel base? LOL! More like a scrap yard.

Sorry. It doesn't look like you're going to get WW III anytime soon. To bad your Tin Man, Dick Chaney wasted his time with Iraq and Afghanistan, he could have given you what you crave for when Russia invaded Georgia in 2008.
Lisa

Morrilton, AR

#63719 Mar 19, 2014
Kansas ‘retaliation’ bill would allow police to arrest people who complain about officers

A Kansas bill being considered by the House Standing Committee on Corrections and Juvenile Justice would give police the power to arrest people who file complaints against officers if those allegations were proven false.

Kansas Exposed pointed out this week that someone on the Corrections and Juvenile Justice had anonymously filed HB 2698, which would allow people to be charged with felony perjury.

And the measure would prevent any other law enforcement agency from taking up the investigation once it had been closed.

Ironically, the anonymously-filed legislation would also ban anonymous complaints against police.

“People in Wichita are already afraid to file complaints against the WPD, because the department has a well-known reputation for retaliating against those who do, and this bill would render such retaliation legal,” Kansas Exposed noted.“Furthermore, the bill clearly prevents an outside agency, such as the Kansas Bureau of Investigations, from opening an investigation into an allegation that the WPD has already ruled upon.”

The Washington Post called HB 2698 “pretty awful” because it gives police who are suspected of abuse the right to know all the evidence in the case before answering any questions, in addition to prohibiting other agencies from investigating and allowing citizens to be charged with felonies if the complaints are deemed false.

“No respectable police detective would conduct an investigation this way,” the Post‘s Radely Balko wrote.“Any police interrogator will tell you that you never let a suspect know everything you know about the allegations against him.”

“A bad cop who is given the entire complaint can construct a narrative informed by everything the investigators know, safe in the knowledge that there is no additional information that could later contradict him,” he explained.

Comedy Central host Jon Stewart recently slammed the Kansas Legislature as the “Meth Lab of Democracy” for a series of controversial bills, from allowing parents to beat their children until the point of bruising to legalizing discrimination against LGBT people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beaver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
liz ibison (Sep '14) Sep '14 damnn 1
You called the Aliens here. (Nov '08) Jun '14 Carlos Salazar 3
match.com posting... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Kat 1
Eliminating Police Dept Disclaimer (Sep '13) Apr '14 Brandon renshaw 15
People of Beaver (Sep '13) Mar '14 wake up Beaver Ok 7
Beaver safety & crime prevention (Feb '14) Feb '14 LRSavong 1
Help your Nursing Home (Jan '14) Jan '14 concernedcuts 1 3
More from around the web

Beaver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE