1,562 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Lisa

Little Rock, AR

#62808 Mar 4, 2014

A bill called the Religious Viewpoints Antidiscrimination Act, focuses on religious freedom in schools.
A bill called the Religious Viewpoints Antidiscrimination Act, focuses on religious freedom in schools.
OKLAHOMA CITY - A bill called the Religious Viewpoints Antidiscrimination Act, focuses on religious freedom in schools.
For example, students are assigned to write about their hero. One writes about Will Rogers, another writes about Jesus. The state wants to make sure the teacher grades both papers the same.

"They have to look at them fairly and grade them off the content vs what's actually behind it," said Representative John Bennett.

Fair grading and fair religious viewpoints in schools are the focal points to Representative John Bennett's House Bill 2422.

"We're trying to be proactive and not reactive," said Bennett.

Proactive for students and schools, in hopes for what Bennett calls clarity of the first amendment.

"They don't know what the law says, what the constitution means and what the courts have ruled," said Bennett.

The bill calls for religious equality in homework, group and club activities as well as public speeches from students. All actions that the ACLU feel don't need to be clarified.

"They come often from misconceptions," said the ACLU's Brady Henderson.

Originally authored in 1994 by a constitutional attorney in Texas, Oklahoma isn't the first to consider this Act.

The attorney is aware of Missouri, Tennessee and Illinois discussing the issue. Texas, Mississippi and Virginia are already making it law.

"How do you legislate common sense," asked former school teacher Richard Beevers. "My job as a teacher was to help them make good decisions and give them information."

And if passed through the senate could have some impact.

"Creating an opportunity to sensationalism that shouldn't be there," said Beevers.

Or no impact at all.

"In the end what does it do?" said Beevers. "Doesn't really change anything."

And once again the act has passed the House with an 88-0 vote and awaits a Senate Committee hearing in about two weeks.
Maddy

Little Rock, AR

#62809 Mar 4, 2014
The first amendment to the US constuition( and last time I looked this is the USA) guarantees freedom of religion so why does this state need to pass a law that the law of the land guarantees
TAMARA

Edmond, OK

#62811 Mar 5, 2014
Maddy wrote:
The first amendment to the US constuition( and last time I looked this is the USA) guarantees freedom of religion so why does this state need to pass a law that the law of the land guarantees
Because this right has had many restrictions put on it. Like when, where, and how one can pray or what someone can say. Example the greeting "Merry Christmas".
WarForOil

Grapevine, TX

#62812 Mar 5, 2014
TAMARA wrote:
<quoted text>

Because this right has had many restrictions put on it. Like when, where, and how one can pray or what someone can say. Example the greeting "Merry Christmas".
You too must believe fluoride in water is a communist plot.
No one is restricted from saying (greeting) Merry Christmas.
What is restricted is the use of public tax dollars to promote
religion. Congressmen can't send out mail at taxpayer expense
if it's religious. Public teachers can't force kids to pray.

There is no right to say Merry Christmas.
But you may say it all you want and fart in public too.
TAMARA

Edmond, OK

#62813 Mar 5, 2014
WarForOil wrote:
<quoted text>
You too must believe fluoride in water is a communist plot.
No one is restricted from saying (greeting) Merry Christmas.
What is restricted is the use of public tax dollars to promote
religion. Congressmen can't send out mail at taxpayer expense
if it's religious. Public teachers can't force kids to pray.
There is no right to say Merry Christmas.
But you may say it all you want and fart in public too.
Sorry Kiddo but certain places some work are told what to say and Public school will not allow group prayers even if the entire group want it. And the way sociality is going maybe people need to rethink their thoughts on this.
Packing Heat

Little Rock, AR

#62814 Mar 5, 2014
"""There is no right to say Merry Christmas.
But you may say it all you want and fart in public too."""

I do both all the time.
DoesntMatter

Perkins, OK

#62815 Mar 5, 2014
Lois Lerner's testimony about targeting US citizens starting on CSpan.
TAMARA

Edmond, OK

#62818 Mar 5, 2014
Packing Heat wrote:
"""There is no right to say Merry Christmas.
But you may say it all you want and fart in public too."""
I do both all the time.
Freedom Of Speech!
Local Chick

Chicago, IL

#62820 Mar 5, 2014
Earth Quake!
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#62824 Mar 5, 2014
Wimpy Darrell Issa can't stand the heat, so he gets out of the kitchen

World-class charlatan and House Government Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa literally shuts off the mic and walks out of the room when Maryland Rep. Elijah Cummings, the committee's top Democrat, criticizes the GOP's bogus IRS investigation:

And what set Issa off? This line from Cummings, apparently:
Cummings: I would like to use my time to make some brief points. For the past year, the central Republican accusation...[Issa cuts off mic]

Issa: We're done. Close it down.

Even if Issa had been able to take the heat, I'd still give Cummings credit for having the tenacity to tell the truth to Issa's face. But the fact that Issa was a WATB who cut the mic and fled the room at the first hint of pushback makes it all the sweeter.

The link has the complete video

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/05/1282...
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#62825 Mar 5, 2014
Obamacare Just Made Americans Richer Without Anyone Noticing

To be exact, President Obama's 2010 health law was responsible for about three-quarters of a surprising January rise in U.S. consumer spending and American income growth, according to calculations by the Wall Street Journal.

While not exceptional, the gains were significant: a 0.4 percent rise in consumer spending ($45.2 billion) and a 0.3 percent rise in personal incomes (up $43.9 billion), according to new figures released by the Bureau of Economic Analysis. The growth came in spite of the expiration of unemployment benefits for the long-term unemployed and all that horrible winter weather.

So what exactly did the Obamacare rollout do to cause such a rise? For one, it expanded the Medicaid program, a critical and highly controversial aspect of the law, by adding up to a $19 billion in benefits in January. On top of that, health care enrollees additionally received another near $15 billion in the form of tax credits as a result of the rollout, according to the BEA.

Together the two changes have freed up many Americans to spend money that would have gone towards health care premiums on goods and services instead.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/03/03/oba...
DoesntMatter

Perkins, OK

#62826 Mar 5, 2014
Explanation for the 40% that still believe what Obama and his regime say.

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is a figure of speech commonly used in the United States that refers to a person or group holding an unquestioned belief, argument, or philosophy without critical examination. It could also refer to knowingly going along with a doomed or dangerous idea because of peer pressure. The phrase typically carries a negative connotation when applied to an individual or group. The phrase derives from the November 1978 Jonestown Massacre, where members of the Peoples Temple, who were followers of the Reverend Jim Jones committed suicide by drinking a mixture of a powdered soft drink flavoring agent laced with cyanide.

The phrase has been used in a variety of contexts to describe blind, uncritical acceptance or following. This usage gained popularity in the 1990s, and reached mainstream use in the late 2000s.
DoesntMatter

Perkins, OK

#62827 Mar 5, 2014
In other words, a cult
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#62833 Mar 5, 2014
At least I'm not a member of the cult that chooses to boost up a Russian Prez over our own American Prez.

Or the one that follows Darryl Issa and his fake scandals...it was really funny watching him wanting the mics cut for the Dems and running from the room...

The Issa Follies cost the American taxpayer just for the IRS fake scandal around $14 million and close to $20 million for Benghazi, Benghazi, Benghazi.....and the really winner of:

The 50th time House Republican's Repeal of Obamacare which probably has a price tag of $30 million +

Total them all up is around $70 million the Repubs have just thrown in the trash...
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#62834 Mar 5, 2014
Really I think I'm just going to have to add up the final price tags for all the Republican antics......but I'm sure that they will try and whip up some more before November and then look out Hillary.......cause the wingnuts are really going to lose their shit then..

Now that have pretty much lost the gay wars....they will devote their full time and attention on banning birth control and abortions...cause they really need to CONTROL somebody to make them feel better about themselves...
Agnostic

Oklahoma City, OK

#62835 Mar 5, 2014
Well I found the pricetag for the House's repeal of Obamacare:

How many times have you read a variation on that paragraph in the last three years? At least 50! At a cost to taxpayers of something like $72.5 million, in case you're keeping track.

$72.5 million and counting since they can't seem to be able to stop...

No I just need the count for the Issa Follies....I bet we can take it well over a hundred million......I think they are addicts now.....
DoesntMatter

Perkins, OK

#62836 Mar 5, 2014
OMG!! But it's sooooo great!!! Why is he extending it even longer??? OMG!! He just wants the poor to die!

The White House confirmed Wednesday that it will allow people to keep insurance plans that don't comply with the Affordable Care Act until at least 2017, after President Obama has left office.

The White House stressed that the two-year grace period for plans that are non-compliant with Obamacare will only work in states that permit it.

The announced regulation changes will be implemented without any input from Congress.

It's important to note that the Obamacare tweaks come at a time when several Democratic lawmakers in red states, including Sens. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana and Mark Pryor of Arkansas, face tough re-election challengers this year.

When nearly 4.7 million individual policies were cancelled last fall, clearly contradicting Obama's promise that you can keep your insurance plan if you like it, it created a storm of criticism for the Obama administration and supporters of the Affordable Care Act.

It also didn't help that the wave of cancellations happened at around the same time the administration rolled out the infamously glitchy Healthcare.gov website. Taken together, the cancellations and the website's failure to enroll people in new health insurance plans, the Democratic party has been dealing with what is now going on a six-month long PR nightmare.
Lisa

Maumelle, AR

#62837 Mar 5, 2014
Voters unseat Texas GOP judge who violently beat teenage daughter in viral video

A Texas family court judge lost his seat in Tuesday’s primary election nearly three years after his daughter posted video of him beating her with a belt.

Aransas County Attorney Richard Bianchi narrowly defeated Judge William Adams in the Republican primary election, according to unofficial vote counts.

The 53-year-old Adams had not faced an opponent since he was elected in the 2002 GOP primary.

His daughter posted a video in 2011 that she had secretly recorded seven years earlier, when she was 16 years old, that showed her father whipping her with a belt as he berated and threatened her over illegally downloaded computer files.

He was suspended from the bench in 2012 after state officials ruled that the videotaped beating showed actions that were not becoming of a judge.

The State Commission on Judicial Conduct also ruled that his actions had cast doubt on his ability to be impartial, particularly in family law cases, but said he was still a good judge.

Lawyers told investigators they thought Adams was fair, even if they did not always like his courtroom demeanor.

Cases that involved allegations of physical violence against children were transferred to another court since Adams was suspended.
Lisa

Maumelle, AR

#62838 Mar 5, 2014
Oklahoma’s ‘Dr. Mike’ allowed to continue injecting miraculous ‘Jesus shot’ for $300 a pop

A man known as “Dr. Mike” in Edmond, Oklahoma is being questioned by the community about the ingredients of what he calls a “Jesus shot.”

The full name of “Dr. Mike” is John Michael Lonergan, and in 2005 he had his license to practice medicine revoked in Ohio after he was convicted of eight felony counts of tax evasion, mail fraud and health care fraud. After he was released from prison,“Dr. Mike” moved to Oklahoma, which granted him a license to practice medicine on a provisional, supervised basis.

According to News 9,“Dr. Mike” has been injecting local residents with something he calls the “Jesus shot,” which allegedly cures all pain for life. At his clinic, he has been charging people $300 per “miracle injection.”

Last month, one Oklahoma resident curious about “Dr. Mike” posted about him in a forum devoted to “outing people who falsely claim military service.”

“Nobody knows anything about this guy,” she wrote,“but he claims that he is a Former Special Forces Doctor and him and another Special Forces Doctor developed a serum for the military called Jesus Juice and it has been used in the military for years and it cures any ailment.”

“This ‘Dr. Mike’ is traveling around my town charging people $200 for this miracle shot that he developed for the military,” she continued.“Some of the oilfield companies are actually paying this guy to come to their work and explain this shot to the workers and letting this man charge their employees $300 to inject them with this [expletive].”

According to this resident, the only information about the contents of “Jesus juice” that “Dr. Mike” provided to those he injected was an assurance that they “could still pass a drug test” afterwards.

News 9 contacted the office of “Dr. Mike” and asked,“Why is it called the ‘Jesus shot’?”

A receptionist responded that she doesn’t “know why ‘Dr. Mike’ calls it that,” and that News 9 “would have to sit down for a consultation with him [because] I do not know what the formula is.”

The Oklahoma Medical Board terminated its supervisory agreement with “Dr. Mike” in March of last year, News 9 reports, but the terms of that agreement allowed him to continue to practice medicine, unsupervised, for another 12 months.
Zane

Maumelle, AR

#62839 Mar 5, 2014
After my first shot, I had this tremendous urge to start handling serpents...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beaver Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
liz ibison (Sep '14) Sep '14 damnn 1
You called the Aliens here. (Nov '08) Jun '14 Carlos Salazar 3
match.com posting... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Kat 1
Eliminating Police Dept Disclaimer (Sep '13) Apr '14 Brandon renshaw 15
People of Beaver (Sep '13) Mar '14 wake up Beaver Ok 7
Beaver safety & crime prevention (Feb '14) Feb '14 LRSavong 1
Help your Nursing Home (Jan '14) Jan '14 concernedcuts 1 3
More from around the web

Beaver People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE