Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81676 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#63463 Jul 18, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
Copy and paste SUCKS. And not in a good way!!
I politely disagree. And as long as a credible link is provided it's perfectly appropriate to post on Topix.

I'm not one who randomly clicks on "naked" links, so the copy/paste works very well for me... I don't want my computer infected by being ignorantly gullible enough to click and trust what the content might include.

If some of you don't want to see copy and paste, then skim over it I guess. That's the best advice I can give you. Topix doesn't frown on it as long as a link is provided to insure that the proper site gets credit for it's content.

Location hidden

#63465 Jul 18, 2012
Abeliever wrote:
For "<Nope>....
Fawn found stranded on Boston highway
Updated: Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012, 10:06 AM
BOSTON (AP)
Awwww. Thanks! That made me smile. Fortunately, nature finds a way to survive the wrath of human beings.

Human beings don't coexist very well. Heck, we don't even get along with each other for the most pert. We get nervously suspicious when someone has a different skin color, certain handicaps, etc. We have a tendency to deny anything elses right to inhabit what we ignorantly claim parameters without "our personal space" on this earth.

Until human beings learn to respect not only each other, but nature as well, we're doomed to our own self induced demise.....

“Is who I am”

Since: Aug 08

Scottsville

#63467 Jul 18, 2012
I haven't seen any "credible links", not on THIS post, not on THIS topic. All of them are about earthquakes, and things unrelated to this topic. The copy and paste about NON-RELATED topics IS DUMB!
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63468 Jul 18, 2012
If you like to watch birds, scientists need your help! By taking a small step from watching birds to documenting what you see, you can turn an enjoyable pastime into an even more rewarding experience that ultimately helps the birds. You can contribute in many different ways, whether you like to watch birds at your feeder, at a local park, or on birding trips throughout the Western Hemisphere.
percy

London, KY

#63469 Jul 18, 2012
Any big brother agents here today?:( I have a question if you'd be kind enough to show proof that you're on my side...
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63471 Jul 18, 2012
More than 800 bird species inhabit the United States, and many of them move across entire continents during the course of the year. No single scientist or team of scientists could possibly document where all of these birds are--or how their numbers change from one year to the next. Birds face daunting challenges from environmental threats such as urbanization, agriculture, pollution, and global climate change. If we don't know how birds are faring, we won't know how to help them.

Fortunately, birds are fun to watch – and millions of people see birds every day. By taking the extra step to report their sightings, bird watchers can help keep tabs on how birds are faring from Canada to South America. As of April 2009, the Avian Knowledge Network had amassed more than 55 million records, much of it from citizen-science participants. These data are a rich source of information for bird study and conservation.

2. How long does it take?

You decide: As little as 15 minutes, or until you shit yourself.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63472 Jul 18, 2012
Do you have to be a bird expert to participate?

No. Several citizen-science projects are suitable for beginners or topix intermediate bird watchers.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63473 Jul 18, 2012
Why take part?

Participating in a citizen-science project helps advance scientific discovery, enhances your personal discoveries about birds as you observe them - and contributes to a better understanding of crap and how to protect crap.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63474 Jul 18, 2012
Birds (class Aves) are feathered, winged, bipedal, endothermic (warm-blooded), egg-laying, vertebrate animals. With around 10,000 living species, they are the most speciose class of tetrapod vertebrates. All present species belong to the subclass Neornithes, and inhabit ecosystems across the globe, from the Arctic to the Antarctic. Extant birds range in size from the 5 cm (2 in) Bee Hummingbird to the 2.75 m (9 ft) Ostrich. The fossil record indicates that birds emerged within theropod dinosaurs during the Jurassic period, around 160 million years (Ma) ago. Paleontologists regard birds as the only clade of dinosaurs to have survived the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event 65.5 Ma ago.

Modern birds are characterised by feathers, a beak with no teeth, the laying of hard-shelled eggs, a high metabolic rate, a four-chambered heart, and a lightweight but strong skeleton. All living species of birds have wings—the now extinct flightless moa of New Zealand were the only exception. Wings are evolved forelimbs, and most bird species can fly. Flightless birds include ratites, penguins, and a number of diverse endemic island species. Birds also have unique digestive and respiratory systems that are highly adapted for flight. Some birds, especially corvids and parrots, are among the most intelligent animal species; a number of bird species have been observed manufacturing and using tools, and many social species exhibit cultural transmission of knowledge across generations.

Many species undertake long distance annual migrations, and many more perform shorter irregular movements. Birds are social; they communicate using visual signals and through calls and songs, and participate in social behaviours, including cooperative breeding and hunting, flocking, and mobbing of predators. The vast majority of bird species are socially monogamous, usually for one breeding season at a time, sometimes for years, but rarely for life. Other species have polygynous ("many females") or, rarely, polyandrous ("many males") breeding systems. Eggs are usually laid in a nest and incubated by the parents. Most birds have an extended period of parental care after hatching.

Many species are of economic importance, mostly as sources of food acquired through hunting or farming. Some species, particularly songbirds and parrots, are popular as pets. Other uses include the harvesting of guano (droppings) for use as a fertiliser. Birds figure prominently in all aspects of human culture from religion to poetry to popular music. About 120–130 species have become extinct as a result of human activity since the 17th century, and hundreds more before then. Currently about 1,200 species of birds are threatened with extinction by human activities, though efforts are underway to protect them.

The Gloop

Since: Sep 08

#63475 Jul 18, 2012
Gloop.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63477 Jul 18, 2012
You'll be happiest today if you can concentrate on the bird activities and birds that you truly value. For instance, you might want to see someone who always makes you feel glad to be alive, or you could find the time for a bird hobby. It's a good day to go shopping but you'll be more concerned with getting good quality bird than with how much something costs.

Location hidden

#63478 Jul 18, 2012
I've been in here long enough to realize that Abeliever is NOT the one who's doing the cursing. It's a poser. I have also been here long enough just this week alone, to realize that the Mods have caught on... They've more than likely caught on to a lot of what's truly an issue in here. Time will tell.

(I swear, somewhere in the background of this thread I seem to hear a very faint sound.. Could it be the of "Tic Toc, Tic Toc")??
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63479 Jul 18, 2012
Many bird species migrate to take advantage of differences of seasonal McDonalds menus, therefore optimising availability of food sources and breeding habitat. These migrations vary among the different groups. Many sandbirds, shorebirds, and waterbirds undertake annual long walking migrations, usually triggered by the length of daylight as well as weather conditions. These birds are characterised by a swimming season spent in the temperate or arctic/antarctic regions and a non-breeding season in the tropical regions or opposite hemisphere. Before migration, birds substantially increase body fats and reserves and reduce the size of some of their organs. Migration is highly demanding energetically, particularly as birds need to cross deserts and oceans without refuellinginginging. sandbirds have a flight range of around 2,500 km (1,600 mi) and shorebirds can fly up to 4,000 km (2,500 mi), although the Bar-tailed sodwit is capable of non-stop flights of up to 10,200 km (6,300 mi).[106] Seabirds also undertake long migrations, the longest annual migration being those of Sooty Ssshearwaters, which nest in New Zealand and Chile and spend the northern summer feeding in the North Pacific off Japan, Alaska and California, an annual round trip of 64,000 km (39,800,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000 mi). Other seabirds disperse farts after breeding, travellinginginging widely but having no set migration route. Albatrosses nesting in the Southern Ocean often undertake circumpolar trips between breeding seasons.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63483 Jul 18, 2012
Most birds scoop water in their beaks and raise their head to let water run down the throat.
Jerry

Frankfort, KY

#63484 Jul 18, 2012
Who cares??

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#63485 Jul 18, 2012
RoamingInsomniac wrote:
I haven't seen any "credible links", not on THIS post, not on THIS topic. All of them are about earthquakes, and things unrelated to this topic. The copy and paste about NON-RELATED topics IS DUMB!
Yep, dumber than a sack of furballs coughed up by an old tom cat.

Location hidden

#63487 Jul 18, 2012
qwerty wrote:
You'll be happiest today if you can concentrate on the bird activities and birds that you truly value. For instance, you might want to see someone who always makes you feel glad to be alive, or you could find the time for a bird hobby. It's a good day to go shopping but you'll be more concerned with getting good quality bird than with how much something costs.
I have one very particular bird I'm fond of. It's my parrot, LOL! The ones who are most likely to make me glad I'm alive WOULD absolutely be my hoard of loving critters, hehe. Even the chickens are spoiled beyond help... My dogs don't take their eyes off of me unless they're snoozing happily at my feet.

Even the felines are quite happy. Their belly's stay full enough that rarely do I find a "gift" as my doorstep.
(For that, I'm extremely thankful).

I'm not so much of a shopper though. Don't really need that much to survive on. I'm not very "materialistic" when it comes to having the "very best" of everything. As long as I have what I need, I have the ability to keep myself and my surroundings clean and orderly, and my animals are fed well, then I'm content.

I'm good to go!! I call being able to accomplish those feats a true blessing.
who

Westmoreland, TN

#63489 Jul 18, 2012
Jerry wrote:
Who cares??
NO!

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#63495 Jul 18, 2012
@Nope what kind of dogs do you have?
Abeliever

Antioch, TN

#63496 Jul 18, 2012
Wow, I was going to respond to your post LSD923 and when I hit post it sent me back to this page without your post and the ones Unabomber is slamming me with lies. Thanks for defending me. It has been the fake Abeliever (his minion) that has been foul and luckily the MODS know who's ip that is, not mine. We loved the picture of your little princess. I guess the MODS are really on this thread thick and heavy. I am happy. That troll is obsessed with me, AW, OJG, and Hempburn. Mostly AW and me. I am glad they are removing them and the FAKE Abeliever he was describing. Lots of posts removed every day. Not like when we were all having decent discussions last year. Hope you are having a great day!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beaver Dam Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kayla Bailey 4 hr Lolol 2
Brittney Leach (wells) 4 hr Lolol 9
tri city drive in (Sep '15) 9 hr phil090678 26
Misty Johnson?? (Aug '15) 12 hr what 3
Mr edge 19 hr curious 14
Doug robertson 23 hr MAD 5
affair in Iron Mountain Tue Ishouldhavebeenfa... 2

Beaver Dam Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance