S.Texas sheriff proposing tent city for jail overcrowding

Full story: Houston Chronicle

Overcrowding at local jails has spurred Cameron County Sheriff Omar Lucio to propose building a "tent city" to temporarily house inmates.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of85
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Gorilla

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2006

I bet ya thats going to be uncomfortable come August.
Klaatu Nikto

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 13, 2006

About as uncomfortable as a military tent in Iraq?
Stuckinahs

Wichita, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2006

Why not? They do it in Arizona, and I hear it has been pretty successful. I guess the inmates are so hot, they don't have the energy to do anything but lie in their tents sweating. No one ever said jail would be fun.

Having been born and raised in Cameron County, you bet it is hot come August!
A Ryan Brothers

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2006

Stuckinahs wrote:
Why not? They do it in Arizona, and I hear it has been pretty successful. I guess the inmates are so hot, they don't have the energy to do anything but lie in their tents sweating. No one ever said jail would be fun.
Having been born and raised in Cameron County, you bet it is hot come August!
The American Criminal Liberties Union will be all over that.
L- M- MAC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2006

I live in Seagoville, Tx. and am going to Arizona to drive a friend daily to "Tent City". After attending a wake, my friend (drank a glass of wine at the wake) was pulled over by a Nazi policeman in Phoenix, Az. This program in Az. to rid the state of drunk drivers are for the most part only targeted in the affluent areas of Phoenix. HMMMMMMM.... could it be that the real reason for these attacks of people who had "ONE" drink be because the local government is *** LINING THIER POCKETS ***. Joe Pyle is the Sheriff (who has also been caught and got a DUI ) And the question is .... "DID HE GO TO TENT CITY" to pay for his crime ???" HAHA..... no he did his time in a resort. If Az. was so concerned in teaching the citizens of their state to not drink and drive wouldn't they target other areas other then just the RICH ??? IT IS ALL A MONEY MAKING RACKET FOR JOE PYLE AND HIS FAMILY. Guess who makes the bucks off the vending machines feeding those prisoners..... HMMMMMMM could it be Sheriff Joe Pyle's brother???? Wonder why the food is out of date by many days ???? Could it be that the sheriff is getting some kickbacks???? OH, LET ME SLAP MYSELF.... THIS PROGRAM THAT YOU THINKS WORKS SO WELL IS JUST A FARCE.... I THINK I WILL HAVE A DRINK... BEFORE I FLY TO AZ....
A Ryan Brothers

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2006

L- M- MAC wrote:
I live in Seagoville, Tx. and am going to Arizona to drive a friend daily to "Tent City". After attending a wake, my friend (drank a glass of wine at the wake) was pulled over by a Nazi policeman in Phoenix, Az. This program in Az. to rid the state of drunk drivers are for the most part only targeted in the affluent areas of Phoenix. HMMMMMMM.... could it be that the real reason for these attacks of people who had "ONE" drink be because the local government is *** LINING THIER POCKETS ***. Joe Pyle is the Sheriff (who has also been caught and got a DUI ) And the question is .... "DID HE GO TO TENT CITY" to pay for his crime ???" HAHA..... no he did his time in a resort. If Az. was so concerned in teaching the citizens of their state to not drink and drive wouldn't they target other areas other then just the RICH ??? IT IS ALL A MONEY MAKING RACKET FOR JOE PYLE AND HIS FAMILY. Guess who makes the bucks off the vending machines feeding those prisoners..... HMMMMMMM could it be Sheriff Joe Pyle's brother???? Wonder why the food is out of date by many days ???? Could it be that the sheriff is getting some kickbacks???? OH, LET ME SLAP MYSELF.... THIS PROGRAM THAT YOU THINKS WORKS SO WELL IS JUST A FARCE.... I THINK I WILL HAVE A DRINK... BEFORE I FLY TO AZ....
I the wake you reference would have been for someone who was killed by a drunk driver, you might have a different opinion. 20,000 Americans are killed each year by drunken idiots. As for your frind getting popped for 'one drink,' Well, I have a hard time believing that. Any lawyer could have beat that rap. There's more to this story.
L- M- MAC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2006

A Ryan Brothers wrote:
<quoted text>I the wake you reference would have been for someone who was killed by a drunk driver, you might have a different opinion. 20,000 Americans are killed each year by drunken idiots. As for your frind getting popped for 'one drink,' Well, I have a hard time believing that. Any lawyer could have beat that rap. There's more to this story.
WRONG..... I WAS THERE AND SHE DID HAVE ONE DRINK. ANOTHER FRIEND OF OURS GOT A DUI FOR PUSHING THEIR MOTORCYCLE AFTER THEY HAD HAD A DRINK. HE WAS NOT EVEN RDING IT. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE LAWS IN AZ. ONE DRINK DOES NOT MAKE U DRUNK.
Middleagedman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2006

L- M- MAC wrote:
<quoted text> WRONG..... I WAS THERE AND SHE DID HAVE ONE DRINK. ANOTHER FRIEND OF OURS GOT A DUI FOR PUSHING THEIR MOTORCYCLE AFTER THEY HAD HAD A DRINK. HE WAS NOT EVEN RDING IT. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE LAWS IN AZ. ONE DRINK DOES NOT MAKE U DRUNK.
What the heck does that have to do with housing prisoners in tents?
Stromquist

Warren, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2006

I think committing a crime removes your right to air conditioning.
L- M- MAC

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2006

Middleagedman wrote:
<quoted text>
What the heck does that have to do with housing prisoners in tents?
DID YOU NOT READ THE WHOLE POST????? MY FRIEND IN ARIZONA IS GOING TO BE SENT TO TENT CITY, IN ARIZONA. IT IS A NAZI STATE !!! THEY ONLY TARGET THE AFFULLENT, SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM TO ME !!! LLM
Undocumented Guest Worker

Conroe, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2006

You drink, you drive, you go to jail. It is I-L-L-E-G-A-L. What's the problem?
Problem is; rules are for others, right?
dam

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2006

L- M- MAC wrote:
I happen to agree with you tent city is insane!!!! I dont condone drinking and driving but give me a break. The cops here in arizona are all cowboys they have a quota to fill which i think is nuts. they think they are better than everyone. with all the fines and and penalties enough is enough . as long as no one is killed or maimed the fines are enough
austinite

Warren, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

dam wrote:
<quoted text>I happen to agree with you tent city is insane!!!! I dont condone drinking and driving but give me a break. The cops here in arizona are all cowboys they have a quota to fill which i think is nuts. they think they are better than everyone. with all the fines and and penalties enough is enough . as long as no one is killed or maimed the fines are enough
You can't be serious.
MJM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2006

L- M- MAC wrote:
You lack a bit of credibility considering his name is Joe Arpaio, not Pyle.
Fergie

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2006

I live in AZ, and am currently serving 10 days on the work release program for an extreme DUI (0.235). At a less than $40,000/yr (not even enough to buy a small house here) I make more than most of the guys in the tent with me. So much for the afluence factor. Also, a couple continuances by your lawyer will delay your internment until it cools off (mine delayed me since Labor day). The food is bland, but plentiful and if I wanted to risk it, contriband cigarettes are available for a buck a piece. All in all, I'd rather be able to walk around in the fresh air and laugh with my fellow inmates than be stuck in a cell not seeing the sun for a week and a half. Sure it's inconvenient, but it could be worse.

When you resopnd, remember; I'm speaking from experience.
Holly Thompson

Odessa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2006

Sheriff Joe Arpayo is full of himself. Everyone should watch the documentary on A&E. What you people do not realize is that jails house mainly pretrial detainees. These are people who are innocent, and have not yet been proved guilty. I think the concept is great if it is intended for convicted felons. Sheriff Joe only likes to promote himself. Did you know he makes the inmates wear pink underwear in socks (again a good idea for prisoners) Then he sells the underwear with his autograph. The man is full of himself. All the money he is saving on airconditioning and the low costs meals that he serves, he loses because of all the people succesfully sueng him for millions of dollars. Those suing include a woman who had a miscarriage, due to the horrible conditions and treatment. Keep in mind these are all presumably innocent people.
Holly Thompson

Odessa, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2006

MJM wrote:
<quoted text>
You lack a bit of credibility considering his name is Joe Arpaio, not Pyle.
Hes a pyle of something... the other name fits much better
MJM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2006

Holly Thompson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hes a pyle of something... the other name fits much better
You think that the majority of pretrial detainees are innocent? I know they are presumed innocent by law, but you said, "mostly".

The post before yours is from a current inmate nearly 3X the legal limit of alcohol consumption while operating a motor vehicle.

If people knew they were going to be in a hot tent wearing pink underwear, maybe they wouldn't act in such a way that would cause them to be an innocent detainee??!

I spent a night in jail once because I was two days late on a 11mph speeding violation payment, and I was 'detained' because I couldn't write a check, and didn't have my ATM card. Am I going to whine about being innocent and not deserving it? No. It was my fault, my action, my problem. I spent a night with absolute subhuman festering debris that confirmed every prejudice I had denied up until that point.

If anything, we need more Arpaio's
Fergie

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2006

Sensitivity Trainer wrote:
<quoted text>Nearly 3 times the legal limit BAC. That is extreme.
Yes it is, and I was stunned because I still felt confident in my driving ability. I was stopped for a vehicle infraction, not my driving...scary.

Anyway when you go to a house party either drink only what you brought, or know what they're pouring and never EVER trust a drink called a "Sneaky Pete!" I hit 0.235 in less than 3 hrs without even trying!!

Be careful
RDUB

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2006

Fergie wrote:
I live in AZ, and am currently serving 10 days on the work release program for an extreme DUI (0.235). At a less than $40,000/yr (not even enough to buy a small house here) I make more than most of the guys in the tent with me. So much for the afluence factor. Also, a couple continuances by your lawyer will delay your internment until it cools off (mine delayed me since Labor day). The food is bland, but plentiful and if I wanted to risk it, contriband cigarettes are available for a buck a piece. All in all, I'd rather be able to walk around in the fresh air and laugh with my fellow inmates than be stuck in a cell not seeing the sun for a week and a half. Sure it's inconvenient, but it could be worse.
When you resopnd, remember; I'm speaking from experience.
I have a question for you Fergie. I myself am going in this week for the same offese. I heard that we don't have to wear the stripes, is that true?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of85
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beaumont Discussions

Search the Beaumont Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) 1 hr ThinkThinkThink 684
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) 1 hr robert 593
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Black tail doe 16,066
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 19 hr Deer Sausage 20,408
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Mon lol 467
The Uncle Willie Show (Apr '07) Apr 18 Joe Bob 60
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 17 why 633
•••
•••
•••
•••

Beaumont Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Beaumont People Search