Lee County Marching Band.....Should t...

Lee County Marching Band.....Should they just give up?

Posted in the Beattyville Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
eeeeee

United States

#1 Oct 11, 2011
I am really worried about the band. I use to love listening to them...back when they were good. Now, I don't bother going to the competitions because of how bad they are. I know that the students are trying but it's not their fault. It's the band directors. I know she has a family and doesn't have the time she need's for the band. Where Mr. Barrett that was his whole life....instead of playing favorite's the Board should have begged him to stay.....but in all honesty...I think Mr. Barrett should have never left here, the board should have begged him not to go. Hes better off where he is at now.
Nice

Richmond, KY

#2 Oct 11, 2011
Real nice jerkoff. Make fun of little kids.REAL classy.
try

Pikeville, KY

#3 Oct 11, 2011
winners never quit and quitters never win keep trying LCHS band support you all the way never give up!! Beleive in yourselfs you are great!!
ENcourage

Pikeville, KY

#4 Oct 11, 2011
encourage the kids they got to start somewhere sure its a rebuidling time got to be building a foundation things will work out just beleive inthe kids and the program the old days are gone got to start the new the old band was real good and this one willbe too with time
eeeeee

United States

#5 Oct 11, 2011
I'm sorry if l offended anyone...but she isn't any good at it.....I relaly didn't mean to make anyone mad..and I said I was proud of the kids...thats not what l meant....its just she shoudnt be doing it
people in glass houses

Corbin, KY

#6 Oct 11, 2011
eeeeee wrote:
I am really worried about the band. I use to love listening to them...back when they were good. Now, I don't bother going to the competitions because of how bad they are. I know that the students are trying but it's not their fault. It's the band directors. I know she has a family and doesn't have the time she need's for the band. Where Mr. Barrett that was his whole life....instead of playing favorite's the Board should have begged him to stay.....but in all honesty...I think Mr. Barrett should have never left here, the board should have begged him not to go. Hes better off where he is at now.
NO he absolutely should NOT have been begged to stay! Anyone who has to be begged to do anything never really wanted to do it to begin with! I don't see how the Board was playing favorites in accepting his resignation. He chose to quit! It was HIS decision! If everyone quit something just because they didn't get what they wanted or get their way then a lot of people would quit a lot of things! If something is important enough you stick with it PERIOD! It obviously just wasn't that important to him!!!
in the know

Pikeville, KY

#7 Oct 11, 2011
he was a darn good director and got the best out of the kids! very talented man they were great hopefully with they will be great again with some work
eeeeee

United States

#8 Oct 11, 2011
people in glass houses wrote:
<quoted text>
NO he absolutely should NOT have been begged to stay! Anyone who has to be begged to do anything never really wanted to do it to begin with! I don't see how the Board was playing favorites in accepting his resignation. He chose to quit! It was HIS decision! If everyone quit something just because they didn't get what they wanted or get their way then a lot of people would quit a lot of things! If something is important enough you stick with it PERIOD! It obviously just wasn't that important to him!!!
you know that mr barrett went to another high school to do that right? they demoted him...l dont blame him for rsigning his job....they treated that man like crap....he gave his life to the school and the marching band went to state ll dont know how many times....look at where he is...he is at the elementary school libraries. he went to antoher school. he was great at his job..and they should be lucky to have him. no hes not the nicest person in the world and he had his favorites, but he was a good instructor...not the best but a darn good one. and michelll estes cant do anything..she has afamily.....she has a flie unlike him which music and bad was his whole life. so dont get mad at me for stating the truth.
eeeeee

United States

#9 Oct 11, 2011
in the know wrote:
he was a darn good director and got the best out of the kids! very talented man they were great hopefully with they will be great again with some work

they wont be that great until michell steps down...l love her to death but she cant do anything music wise shes not talented enough to be that. you have to have talent to teach.

also to the person who said mr barrett shoudnt havebeen begged...look they demoted him..l honestly udnerstand why he resigned from it....but look at where its got them now where...they hav ecut band program and everyhting..the board really doesnt care...scores are reflected upon the school and makes the school look bad...they arent even doing good....and its not the kids fault. they are trying there best, and yes they do need all the practice they can get. jsut michell isnt the right person for the job..they had the right person but they treated him unfairly and he resigned. and l dont blame him one bit
Well

United States

#10 Oct 11, 2011
To People in Glass Houses,

Obviously you don't know much about the situation that Mr Barrett was facing when he resigned that position. He was great and he gave his all to the kids. For you to say he never really wanted to do it is proof you were never involved. He loved his job and made his decision based upon many factors.
The children in band then and now should be praised for all their hours of dedication and practice. The children work hard and deserve our support. Mrs Estes is faced with some of the same issues as Mr Barrett was. How can people expect her to be competitive when she can't even have a beginning,sixth grade, band program!! Tony Barrett tried his best. The children try their best. Mr Estes is trying her best under some band circumstances when comparing her budget with Estill and Powell. I suggest that all the critiques out there call a kid in band and buy some fruit and support the band. It won't be long until a band ceases to exist without more support. My family has no ties to band now but I still try to support them by saying an encouraging word or supporting them in fund raising events. HATS OFF TO ALL THE HARD WORKING CHILDREN AND PARENTS!! Keep up the hard work Mrs Eates. Finally. Mr Barrett.....YOU ROCK. Thanks for all you did.
eeeeee

United States

#11 Oct 11, 2011
Well wrote:
To People in Glass Houses,
Obviously you don't know much about the situation that Mr Barrett was facing when he resigned that position. He was great and he gave his all to the kids. For you to say he never really wanted to do it is proof you were never involved. He loved his job and made his decision based upon many factors.
The children in band then and now should be praised for all their hours of dedication and practice. The children work hard and deserve our support. Mrs Estes is faced with some of the same issues as Mr Barrett was. How can people expect her to be competitive when she can't even have a beginning,sixth grade, band program!! Tony Barrett tried his best. The children try their best. Mr Estes is trying her best under some band circumstances when comparing her budget with Estill and Powell. I suggest that all the critiques out there call a kid in band and buy some fruit and support the band. It won't be long until a band ceases to exist without more support. My family has no ties to band now but I still try to support them by saying an encouraging word or supporting them in fund raising events. HATS OFF TO ALL THE HARD WORKING CHILDREN AND PARENTS!! Keep up the hard work Mrs Eates. Finally. Mr Barrett.....YOU ROCK. Thanks for all you did.
Thank you for saying what you did to my post. You are right, she does try her best..and the children do to....they should not have cut 6th grade band at all. The board needs to instill the program once more to its former glory...doesnt the board know that more music = better grades? its been proven.
people in glass houses

Corbin, KY

#12 Oct 11, 2011
I stand by what I said.....He should not have been begged to stay!!! If someone doesn't want to be where they are whether that's in a job, a marriage, somewhere they live, or whatever then they should go!!!! If someone walks up to you at anytime in life and says I don't want to be here anymore then you should say If you don't want to be here then I don't want you here!!
Well

United States

#13 Oct 11, 2011
People in glass houses

He did want to be here. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about!! He knew they were cutting band and he could not be competitive. Leaving broke many hearts including his and LOTS of children He was treated like dirt. You don't understand at all. I'm finished with this. It's water over the damn now. He won't be back.
eeeeee

United States

#14 Oct 11, 2011
Well wrote:
People in glass houses
He did want to be here. You have NO IDEA what you are talking about!! He knew they were cutting band and he could not be competitive. Leaving broke many hearts including his and LOTS of children He was treated like dirt. You don't understand at all. I'm finished with this. It's water over the damn now. He won't be back.
l know he wont be back....and l keep telling these people it all comes to the board. when wil they get off their lazy butts and actualy do something right?!
people in glass houses

Pikeville, KY

#15 Oct 12, 2011
Lee County is lucky to have any extra curricular activities. Because of the economy and the state and federal goverment cutting budgets there are many places that don't have any!!!! They don't have band, sports, NOTHING!!! A lot of elementary schools have no music, art or PE unless the teachers teach them in their classrooms. Thankfully Michelle stepped in when Tony quit. If not there might not be a band at all!!! When the elementary schools hired a new music teacher a few years ago they got 1 application! Just 1! I know because I was parent on site base when she was hired. People aren't lining up to drive all the way to Lee County to teach music!! I hope we never lose any of the 'extra' things in any of our schools but realistically we probably will. I don't think the board wants to cut anything but you can only do what you can do with the budget you;re given.
I hope those that are with the band now continue to work hard and enjoy it. The ones I talk to do. They aren't worried about the past they are focused on the future!!! Smart kids!!!!!
Truth

Richmond, KY

#16 Oct 12, 2011
There are a lot of half-truths on this thread. True, Tony was a great band director, it is hard to dispute that. Nice guy and a good educator, no denying it. However, there was more to the story than people want to admit. The band was great at that time, but the dark side to that was several students that wanted to participate in band couldn't. He intentionally kept the band small in order to compete in the smaller divisions, to dominate in competition. So, some were excluded from band because of this. I'm not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, because in the old days, you had to try out for band,basketball, etc., and some didn't make the cut. The final straw was when the school board refused to buy him a box truck for a hundred grand. He thought would should be like the big Lexington schools and have the best of the best equipment, something our school system simply could not provide. The school board DID pay out of pocket to rent a U-haul for every competition to haul equipment. The kids were provided for. They just didn't have their own fancy equipment truck with LCHS marching band painted on the side. Lee County does not have a big tax base, and funds are limited, but the board has never tried to cut band. Tony thought that because his band was so good, they deserved everything. In a perfect world, he was right. They did deserve the best of the best. But sometimes money is hard to come by here, and you do without the extras.
To Truth

United States

#17 Oct 12, 2011
Band size has nothing to do with what bands you compete with. Competitions are based on size of total school enrollment. Lee
County Band is a class A band whether they have 20 or 200 members Lee County Band with Mr Barrett and Mrs Estes must compete with a small band against bands with nearly 100 members. Mr Barrett never defeated some of these bands but he tried. Mrs Estes is rebuilding but they have cut her program. Agreed the kids are lucky to have the program. Music feeds the mind of many! Keep on working kids!!!
when I was in band

Wheelwright, KY

#18 Oct 12, 2011
When I was in band we either rented a U-haul or carried the stuff on the buses or in parents' vehicles. Tony was a good band director but he is also a WATB and a prima donna.
for the record

United States

#19 Oct 12, 2011
band size makes no difference it is your school size so that is right. also the school was NOT asked to buy a box truck.... the boosters got donations to purchase the truck all we wanted was the okay from the school they would be out NO MONEY at all ever. the boosters would pay insurance and everything. they had the funding from local people and the school still said no. it would have been purchased and turned over to the school. so no mr barrett did not get mad over the board not buying the band a big fancy truck.
AMEN

United States

#20 Oct 12, 2011
To for the record.

YOU HAVE THE STORY EXACTLY RIGHT!!
The boosters had the money and te board said NO. Mr Barrett didnt ask for a truck.

HE DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE THE STUDENTS.

THE PROGRAM WAS CUT. NO SIXTH GRADE BAND SINCE HE LEFT.

I admire the students and have the HIGHEST RESPECT for the young men and women in middle school and high school who are trying.

Mrs Estes is trying her best so leave her alone!!

Buy some fruit to fund the band!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beattyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cit's Council 6 hr max 2
Lee co elementary 7 hr duh 28
Apple Computer 7 hr ELMER 2
Anita Chafin 13 hr Neighbor 2
to druggie: who's making comment's about ja... (Sep '12) 13 hr Johnny nut job 11
Lee Adjustment Center Finally Bites the Dust 15 hr Glen Fox 51
jacks iga (Nov '10) May 31 Neighbor 63
More from around the web

Beattyville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]