La Porte ISD
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned in LaPorte

Pasadena, TX

#1 Feb 16, 2011
Has anyone out there heard anything about the La Porte ISD being in financial trouble?
There are rumors flying around that they are having a financial crises and are trying to get rid of teachers and cancel classes, mostly ones in the Career and Technology department.
If this is true then what genius decided to tear down the original Bayshore Elementary School and build a new one ( for I heard $23 or 25 million) on 146 where hazardous cargo is transported and near several chemical plants at?
Also, why does La Porte ISD need a Deputy Superintendent and an Assistant Superintendent as well as a Superintendent? According to http://www.texastribune.org/library/data/texa... Lloyd Graham's salary is $200,000.00 per year or $25.00 per student! While we are on the subject of Graham -- has anyone checked on his past history at other school districts? I found some information on - http://www.topix.com/forum/city/greenville-tx... - that was not very positive and indicated he had a bad spending habit which may answer my question concerning Bayshore Elementary.
Does anyone out there think that maybe they should start looking at the administrative side of the ISD before they start dropping courses and getting rid of teachers?
I believe that the above is something that this community need to be concerned about - as well as the question of, "What is La Porte ISD up to and who is really running it?"
Ricky

Deer Park, TX

#2 Feb 16, 2011
You should talk to people in Stafford. Word is they had a big mess to clean up after Graham left that district and he left it nearly bankrupt. It continues here. Why are we paying someone that much if they don't even have their doctorate degree in education?
whatever

United States

#3 Feb 16, 2011
I know the district is one a 2 year hiring freeze. I believe they are not letting anybody go just not replacing people that quit.
Berlin

Brownwood, TX

#4 Feb 16, 2011
None of the administrators or the superintendant are allowed to sign a check. Neither do they approve payment of large purchases. There is something called a "school board" that approves a "budget" which includes all approved spending. Allspending goes through several levels of approval.

Your accusations and criticisms are immature and uninformed.
Thomasina

La Porte, TX

#5 Feb 16, 2011
This is happening all over the state.
well of course

Pasadena, TX

#6 Feb 16, 2011
LPISD is in trouble. OF course part of the problem is the building program that they launched. This benefits the cronies and the Superintendent and a few and does little to nothing to improve education. This took advantage of people already harmed by the hurricane, of course, which shows how selfish and insensitive Graham and Company are. Now, to top it off, the State of Texas is cutting funding to school districts and everyone is going to suffer. Education is definitely a mess in Texas. There is no drive towards quality education. It is driven by TAKS and that is all. Kids are undisciplined and lazy and ill educated. How will these students hold down jobs? They can't do Math or write an intelligent sentence. THey are very sorry and yet we have a global work force competing for jobs.
east texas

Conroe, TX

#7 Feb 16, 2011
In most situations the recommendations of the superintendent is tantamount of approval of the board. The budget is recommended by the administration and the board most of the time approves. Really the only time the board has much say is when they hire the superintendent . And boy in the past the Board has screwed up. Usually the Board uses a search company to find the candidates and makes the recommendation and then the Board approves the winning candidate after going through a dog and pony show called a series of interviews and public presentation.
LProud

Pasadena, TX

#8 Feb 16, 2011
Wish we would follow the lead of DP and CC and hire superintendents from within....
robinhood

United States

#9 Feb 16, 2011
we didn't have this problem before the robin hood crap went into affect years ago. at one time, laporte and deer park were considered some of the richest school districts in the state. this is what happens when liberals get in the office. i do believe its called redistribution of wealth.
Seymour Butts

La Porte, TX

#10 Feb 17, 2011
east texas wrote:
In most situations the recommendations of the superintendent is tantamount of approval of the board. The budget is recommended by the administration and the board most of the time approves. Really the only time the board has much say is when they hire the superintendent . And boy in the past the Board has screwed up. Usually the Board uses a search company to find the candidates and makes the recommendation and then the Board approves the winning candidate after going through a dog and pony show called a series of interviews and public presentation.
Bingo!

Of the school board meetings I have attended (I must say that I have not gone in over a year though so perhaps the newer board memebers are better), it is very very rare to see anyone not vote in favor of whatever is on the agenda that night. I believe most items are handled in the executive session, so once you hit the public portion of the meeting it is already a done deal with a rubber stamp. I can only think of a couple times I have seen anyone vote against anything.

LPISD has had several bad superintendents (3 or 4 I think) over the last few years. While some of them started out better than others they all ultimately ended up in the same place in the end.
el guapo

La Porte, TX

#11 Feb 17, 2011
Very interesting pre-election views, people
Concerned in LaPorte

Pasadena, TX

#12 Feb 17, 2011
My understanding is that, although there are a couple of new ISD board members that think independently, the majority of the board will rubber stamp whatever Graham puts in front of them. This is not good! We need a school board that is in charge of the superintendant not a superintendent that is in charge of the school board. A good point that somebody made up above is that he does not even have his doctorate degree. I always thought that ISD's required that of their superintendants. Wouldn't it have been better for the School Board to have hired someone from within who actually had their Phd - and there are some good educators with the ISD that do have them?
I am not saying that this is what is going on here, but, when there is a school board that rubber stamps whatever the superintendent wants there is a potential for dishonest acts to occur. Humans are only human after all and subject to temptation when no one is watching over them.

Some things that concern me are:

The old bank building on Broadway -- didn't we pass a bond issue to turn it into an ROTC building? Why are the ROTC's out and now there appears to be construction going on in the building allegedly for a different use. If it is used for a different use, and it was designated for bond money for the ROTC program, is that legal?
Why was the old Bayshore Elementary torn down? I know that the superintendant's story is that it was so severely flooded during IKE it was not worth repairing. But, there were cars parked in its parking lot during the storm that were driven off the lot after the storm.
Why did they build the new Bayshore Elementary so large and in such a hazardous place for children? A rumor I have heard is that the building should have cost 17 million but ended up costing 23 or 25 million. Why! Where did the money go? Where did they get the money to build it in the first place?
What do we know about Graham other than that he has a heavy spending habit and at least a couple of people have indicated they thought he was a bully, a blowhard, arrogant and petty - http://www.topix.com/forum/city/greenville-tx... .
I think that there needs to be an investigation into the building of the new Bayshore Elementary and the tearing down of the old. An investigation also into the old bank building as well as any other construction project that the La Porte ISD is conducting. I mean a real close and careful investigation including a forensic audit! I also think that there should be an investigation into Graham to see what he did at other ISD's. Our taxes go to support the La Porte ISD and I am sure that all of you have worked too hard for your money to let it be squandered away or end up in the wrong person's pocket.
Has anyone out there heard any rumors about two lawsuits the ISD has filed against its insurance companies? Has anyone heard a rumor about Graham having a ranch in Round Top, Texas where some cattle, allegedly purchased with LaPorte ISD funds, are grazing?
east texas

Conroe, TX

#13 Feb 17, 2011
I will tell you what I know and maybe someone else will know more. The last bond issue contained money for two elementary schools. One was the Heritage School close to Walmart. This was an immediate need and was built post haste. The other elementary was to be built at a future sight determined by growth patterns. When Ike came and Bayshore was flooded they decided to use the insurance money and roll it in with bond money and build Bayshore. I won't comment on the location or the timing I haven't a clue about that. There was money to do some renovation and improvements on several campuses and as you can see much of that went to reface the brick on Jennie Reid and Rizzuto Elementary. There was a lot of HVAC improvements and then there was the tearing down and building the new PE Gym at High School. Also a new track at Bulldog Stadium. The old Bank Building was used for the Administration Building until the new Administration Building was built, then it became the ROTC building and was used as that until new facilities were built at High School. I understand the renovation taking place now is to provide facilities to have SanJacinto College courses for advanced students for college credit. That is all I know for a fact. Time will tell if these were the right thing or not. I tried to stay out of the politics, however I have my opinions.
bayby

Pflugerville, TX

#14 Feb 17, 2011
LProud wrote:
Wish we would follow the lead of DP and CC and hire superintendents from within....
Amen to that!!!!!!!
east texas

Conroe, TX

#15 Feb 17, 2011
Well, let's see, we promoted two superintendents from the local ranks: they were Robert Williams and Dick Hayes.
Ricky

Deer Park, TX

#16 Feb 17, 2011
What are they doing to the high school? It looks like more roofing repairs. Why are they doing it in the middle of the school year?
Thomasina

La Porte, TX

#17 Feb 17, 2011
Ricky wrote:
What are they doing to the high school? It looks like more roofing repairs. Why are they doing it in the middle of the school year?
Who knows? It's loud and sometimes smelly. Plus during the past few weeks there have been two gas leaks in V-hall.-Very strong fumes-but no one was evacuated. Wonder why?
teacher in the making

United States

#18 Feb 17, 2011
All school districts are on a hiring freeze!! See for yourself... Go to district website and see what they're hiring for. If it is listed...they're still not hiring. I know for a fact that pasadena is letting go of tier 1 teachers... And they need subs everyday but aren't hiring. This is the time for all teachers to take there jobs serious because they're looking for some to let go.
LP Advocate

Denver, CO

#19 Feb 18, 2011
east texas wrote:
Well, let's see, we promoted two superintendents from the local ranks: they were Robert Williams and Dick Hayes.
Dick Hays was not a LP hire. He was hired from Richardson ISD.
Ricky

Deer Park, TX

#20 Feb 18, 2011
Thomasina wrote:
<quoted text>Who knows? It's loud and sometimes smelly. Plus during the past few weeks there have been two gas leaks in V-hall.-Very strong fumes-but no one was evacuated. Wonder why?
Gas leaks and no one was evacuated? Natural gas?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Job (Dec '16) 13 hr Episode of farts 318
List of Obama's sealed and unreleased records (Mar '12) 20 hr Having sharts 129
observer/fubar have destroyed this forum Jul 14 Grossest farts 15
Forum Destruction Sequence Initiated Jul 14 News Farts 3
Leslie (Apr '11) Jul 13 The Good Fart 26
the haunted lot (Oct '11) Jul 10 Fart hunters 8
Fart guy = Fubar/Observer Jul 8 Reincarnated farts 4

Baytown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance