Do you support a cost of living raise...
Citizen Joe

Pasadena, TX

#82 Jul 3, 2013
Elaine- Is it the COLA that you have a problem with or your taxes going up? If the city could cut elsewhere and provide the COLA at no additional cost to you are you still against it?
Elaine

Houston, TX

#83 Jul 4, 2013
Citizen Joe wrote:
Elaine- Is it the COLA that you have a problem with or your taxes going up? If the city could cut elsewhere and provide the COLA at no additional cost to you are you still against it?
This presents an interesting question.

I believe each employee should be evaluated individually, not as a group. A raise to the group rewards bad employees (yes, we have bad ones) and doesn't reward good employees enough. As a result, the good employees get frustrated and find other jobs. The bad ones are encouraged to stay and poison the atmosphere with poor work and bad attitudes. We need to amend the city procedures to allow rewarding employees with raises based on productivity (merit), not tenure or "Who you know".

In addition, if the city can find a place to cut, they should have already cut, regardless of the salary situation. It is their duty to keep costs down. This should/could lead to a tax reduction.

So, no I do not approve of your proposition. Pay people what hey are worth. It provides incentive for the good ones to stay and encourages the poor ones to get better.
Concerned about Waste

La Porte, TX

#84 Jul 4, 2013
Another city employee with too much time on their hands by posting polls on here!! They continually waste our taxes!!
Texan

Falls Church, VA

#85 Jul 8, 2013
No dumba--, you will decide nothing, I do not hit the bottle, and if you do not know what that statement means; well you are even dumber than i thought. AND you know nothing about people.
Elaine

Houston, TX

#86 Jul 9, 2013
Concerned about Waste wrote:
Another city employee with too much time on their hands by posting polls on here!! They continually waste our taxes!!
I'm really not opposed to a city employee posting a few comments in regard to city business. We all benefit from hearing the inside story.

However, do it on your break or after hours.
McLeod

La Porte, TX

#87 Jul 21, 2013
Fortunately for Elaine, most of the city employess I know in La Porte are more than professional enough to ignore her once personal, but now public opinions about their income, if and when she eventually needs their assistance:)
Elaine

Euless, TX

#88 Jul 21, 2013
McLeod wrote:
Fortunately for Elaine, most of the city employess I know in La Porte are more than professional enough to ignore her once personal, but now public opinions about their income, if and when she eventually needs their assistance:)
You get a day's pay for a day's work. What's wrong with that? You think you are entitled to something more because you've occupied a chair longer that anyone else? Maybe you need a little unemployment therapy to remind you of how good you have it.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#89 Jul 21, 2013
McLeod wrote:
Fortunately for Elaine, most of the city employess I know in La Porte are more than professional enough to ignore her once personal, but now public opinions about their income, if and when she eventually needs their assistance:)
Maybe you so-called "professionals" need to get a clue. Out here in the real world, us working stiffs who pay your salary in the form of taxes
are not getting a COLA. In fact we are lucky to even work for a company that hasn't succumbed to Obamanomics.

BTW: Most of you city employees are not even half as valuable as you think you are.
Defiant1

Deer Park, TX

#90 Jul 21, 2013
yooflungpoo wrote:
One thing I have learned....
Elaine thinks herself above sandwich-making...
Congrats!
Well Congrats on actually learning anything at all, poo-breath.
McLeod

La Porte, TX

#91 Jul 21, 2013
Gosh Elaine, that's kinda like someone telling you that a couple of sharp sticks in your eyes would help you appreciate your sight.

Or maybe pulling your teeth would help remind you how much you liked eating a good steak.

Or hows about just a quick bout of sudden cardiac death to help remind you how good life really was.
DP CASSIE

Deer Park, TX

#92 Jul 21, 2013
Why wouldn't city workers deserve raises? Thanks to Shell Oil Company, Deer Park has great city services, police force and school district. Do these people deserve raises too?

I have lived in Deer Park for 46 years. To me there is no greater place to raise a family because of the city services and low crime rates than Deer Park.

I have had city workers in my backyard at 3am in the morning several times unstopping a sewer line.
To me our city workers are loyal, dedicated hard workers. People who are constantly them need to walk in their shoes at least one day
DP CASSIE

Deer Park, TX

#93 Jul 21, 2013
In my previous post I should have said "constantly Criticizing"
Elaine

Houston, TX

#94 Jul 22, 2013
McLeod wrote:
Gosh Elaine, that's kinda like someone telling you that a couple of sharp sticks in your eyes would help you appreciate your sight.
Or maybe pulling your teeth would help remind you how much you liked eating a good steak.
Or hows about just a quick bout of sudden cardiac death to help remind you how good life really was.
Your exaggerations don't help your cause. It only shows you don't have a rational argument for your point of view.

That said, approximately 30% of working Americans lost their jobs within the last 6 years. They all know exactly what they are worth even if they aren't paid what they are worth. You might benefit from assessing your real value as a worker on the open market, not as a tenured city worker.

Again, I am no opposed to raises for workers who show outstanding productivity or creativity. However, raises just for being on the payroll is a waste of money.
Texan

Falls Church, VA

#95 Jul 22, 2013
Elaine=selfish b---h, or a REAL waste of money.
Greedanstupidtha tiswhatur

Houston, TX

#96 Jul 22, 2013
DP CASSIE wrote:
Why wouldn't city workers deserve raises? Thanks to Shell Oil Company, Deer Park has great city services, police force and school district. Do these people deserve raises too?
I have lived in Deer Park for 46 years. To me there is no greater place to raise a family because of the city services and low crime rates than Deer Park.
I have had city workers in my backyard at 3am in the morning several times unstopping a sewer line.
To me our city workers are loyal, dedicated hard workers. People who are constantly them need to walk in their shoes at least one day
My God, they get raises, merit raises, they should not have all the other perks such as longevity, sick pay out, etc. and they should have to pay more for their benefits like the rest of us working in the private world.
Texan

Falls Church, VA

#97 Jul 22, 2013
WHY? Just because you don't get it no one else should? I work in the private world: 40hr week, overtime pay, sick leave, paid holidays, vacation, retirement, and decent insurance. I am a skilled worker, on time everyday, so why not? Lives depend on me doing my job right everytime. Want to bitch how about over paid politicians, actors, and athletes? That all comes out of our pocket and except for the politicians it's about entertainment not need. AND what have the politicians done for you lately?
Elaine

Houston, TX

#98 Jul 22, 2013
Texan wrote:
WHY? Just because you don't get it no one else should? I work in the private world: 40hr week, overtime pay, sick leave, paid holidays, vacation, retirement, and decent insurance. I am a skilled worker, on time everyday, so why not? Lives depend on me doing my job right everytime. Want to bitch how about over paid politicians, actors, and athletes? That all comes out of our pocket and except for the politicians it's about entertainment not need. AND what have the politicians done for you lately?
With actors and athletes, it's a choice; you don't have to pay for it. City workers and politicians don't give you a choice, it's a tax. Still, there's no reason why your salary should be any higher than the same work done at Walmart.

City workers who show outstanding productivity and leadership should definitely get raises. The rest can enjoy their 35 hour work week, 6 weeks vacation, full medical and dental benefits, long term disability, and fat paycheck, long coffe breaks frequent smoke breaks, free internet for updating facebook 12 times per day, cake on fridays, donuts on tuesdays; all for little more than showing up.

Yes we know the lives of millions are in your hands. If you don't like the pay, find a job that pays better and we will replace you with someone who wants your salary.

Have you considered taking a part time job? Walmart is hiring.
The Truth

Houston, TX

#99 Jul 22, 2013
We work hard for the city and a great number of us have to work two jobs. So if you want to keep slamming us without talking to every city employee personally shame on you. Some of us have not had a raise in a few years and it was only one percent and then the insurance went up at the same time. Now we get two percent and the insurance goes up six percent . If you think we have it so go then leave the private sector and come start working for us.
Elaine

Houston, TX

#100 Jul 22, 2013
The Truth wrote:
We work hard for the city and a great number of us have to work two jobs. So if you want to keep slamming us without talking to every city employee personally shame on you. Some of us have not had a raise in a few years and it was only one percent and then the insurance went up at the same time. Now we get two percent and the insurance goes up six percent . If you think we have it so go then leave the private sector and come start working for us.
If you are a good hard worker, I'm not talking about you, and you deserve a raise. I've been clear on that in every post. Since you work there, you know who I'm talking about. Don't you?

“What is what I say is true?”

Since: Jan 09

What then would you do?

#101 Jul 22, 2013
The Truth wrote:
We work hard for the city and a great number of us have to work two jobs. So if you want to keep slamming us without talking to every city employee personally shame on you. Some of us have not had a raise in a few years and it was only one percent and then the insurance went up at the same time. Now we get two percent and the insurance goes up six percent . If you think we have it so go then leave the private sector and come start working for us.
Do you have cable tv? Do you have a cell phone? Do you have a car? Do you have clothes less than a year old? Do you go out to eat? If so, you're rich by world standards so quit your bitching.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KCOH radio supports Black lives matters need help 2 hr gay rod 2
kim davis 2 hr gay rod 1
Trump signed the pledge... 7 hr Elaine 10
War On Women 7 hr whatsamattayou 13
Suicide (Dec '10) 7 hr School farts 147
Don't like Trump? 9 hr fubar 17
Republicans Trumping Voters 10 hr fubar 51
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baytown Mortgages