Godwin's Law.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1 Oct 1, 2013
Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an assertion made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[4] the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.[5] The law is sometimes invoked, as a rule, to mark the end of a discussion when a Nazi analogy is made, with the writer who made the analogy being considered to have lost the argument.
In 2012, "Godwin's Law" became an entry in the third edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.[6]

I am sure that you can substitute " racism" for Nazi. Remember, you say Nazi or racist, you lose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin 's_law
Elaine

Houston, TX

#2 Oct 2, 2013
Absolutely True!

Posted by GOTP on 9/2/13:
GOTP wrote:
Elaine..and there was no holocaust either! Seems you have a lot in common with your ayran idol Adolph.
fubar

San Jose, CA

#3 Oct 2, 2013
Saltwater Cat wrote:
Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies[1][2]) is an assertion made by Mike Godwin in 1990[2] that has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2][3] In other words, Godwin said that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis.
Although in one of its early forms Godwin's law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[4] the law is now often applied to any threaded online discussion, such as forums, chat rooms and blog comment threads, and has been invoked for the inappropriate use of Nazi analogies in articles or speeches.[5] The law is sometimes invoked, as a rule, to mark the end of a discussion when a Nazi analogy is made, with the writer who made the analogy being considered to have lost the argument.
In 2012, "Godwin's Law" became an entry in the third edition of the Oxford English Dictionary.[6]
I am sure that you can substitute " racism" for Nazi. Remember, you say Nazi or racist, you lose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin 's_law
Nice try! When you make racist statements, and someone points them out to you,it means you already lost. Their is no comparison between the two. You are belittling the evil that these words stand for.
Elaine

Houston, TX

#4 Oct 3, 2013
Hahahahaha! You lose!
fubar

Ashburn, VA

#5 Oct 3, 2013
Elaine wrote:
Hahahahaha! You lose!
The republicans lost the debate on healthcare and on whether or not Obama is a good president, based on codeine law.You sooooooo stupid. Racism and Nazism are not equal qualifiers but like I said nice try. Being called out as a racist when you are one is not the same as being called a Nazi when you are not a Nazi.
Elaine

Houston, TX

#6 Oct 4, 2013
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>The AMERICANS lost the debate on healthcare and on whether or not Obama is a good president, based on codeine law.You sooooooo stupid. Racism and Nazism are not equal qualifiers but like I said nice try. Being called out as a racist when you are one is not the same as being called a Nazi when you are not a Nazi.
Fixed it for you.
fubar

San Jose, CA

#7 Oct 4, 2013
Codeine,Godwin what's the difference.lol
Pinche Gringo

Baytown, TX

#8 Oct 4, 2013
fubar wrote:
Codeine,Godwin what's the difference.lol
You're a racist. "Codeine" is obviously code speak. How dare you!
fubar

San Jose, CA

#9 Oct 4, 2013
Pinche Gringo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a racist. "Codeine" is obviously code speak. How dare you!
Codeine is the Good stuff in cough syrup. Racist how dare you! Codeine and I were really good friends when went to school together.
Pinche Gringo

Baytown, TX

#10 Oct 10, 2013
fubar wrote:
<quoted text>Codeine is the Good stuff in cough syrup. Racist how dare you! Codeine and I were really good friends when went to school together.
Your racism knows no bounds!
fubar

San Jose, CA

#11 Oct 11, 2013
Codeine law seems to mean the Republicans have lost the debate on healthcare in these forums and on tv.
Pinche Gringo

Baytown, TX

#12 Oct 11, 2013
fubar wrote:
Codeine law seems to mean the Republicans have lost the debate on healthcare in these forums and on tv.
inform the American public on the meaning of "codeine law." They're busy trying to sign up for Obamacare, without success, and figuring out how they'll budget for the increased premiums.
fubar

San Jose, CA

#13 Oct 12, 2013
Pinche Gringo wrote:
<quoted text>
inform the American public on the meaning of "codeine law." They're busy trying to sign up for Obamacare, without success, and figuring out how they'll budget for the increased premiums.
Codeine is what auto correct turned Godwins law into. I did not check spell check, my mistake.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Southern Komfort Kitchen Class Action? Mon Spatula farts 9
Job (Dec '16) Aug 13 More fart info 339
Hildebeast Going Down Aug 13 Posting more farts 6
Elaine still crushing on Fubar Aug 11 Fartbar luncheon 8
review: La Car Porte Aug 10 Fart smell 11
Snider transmission!!! Aug 10 Fart mission 4
anyone notice ?????? Aug 3 Squishy farting 12

Baytown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance