Tatum

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

" Council voted 4-3 to remove that language with councilmembers Pipkin, Harrison, Beckie Stockstill-Cobb and Mayor Wayne Riddle voting for and councilmembers Chris Richey, Bill Patterson and Rae Sinor against.

The vote came after debate from both sides.

“I still feel strongly that this is a good ordinance and it is a good item in that sign ordinance. It protects the people running for office as well as the property owners I support the way it is worded now,” said Patterson.

Pipkin said the ordinance allows businesses to determine the use of public property and right of ways in front of their businesses.

“We are allowing the property owner to determine who puts a sign [on public property]. We are giving the property owner the ability to tell the city to take the sign off city property,” he said.

Sinor said she was not happy that council was revisiting and possibly revising an ordinance that had already been passed. Riddle said ordinances are like living organisms.

“In 2010, we changed [the sign ordinance] three times. Just because we voted on it at the last council meeting doesn’t mean it was set in stone. Over the years, we have changed this sign ordinance six or seven times. It depends on the situation at the time,” he said.“This is public property. That doesn’t give you ownership of it.”

Ok, its the city property, so the city can start taking care of it, I will no longer do so. I hope many other home owners follow this path. Let it grow and see if the mayor changes his mind.
Votes

Deer Park, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Good point. Let it grow!!! That council is so wishy washy it is pathetic. Time for new leadership. Good riddens to the Mayor and his clan.
Wonder

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Judged:

Is the sign ordinance called endorsement domain?

“Perplexed”

Since: Nov 08

Deer Park

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

Wonder wrote:
Is the sign ordinance called endorsement domain?
Interesting...
Andrea

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

In 2011 the first year I ran for city council there was a restriction on the size of the campaign signs & banners, this restriction wasn't limited to JUST public property. My opponent had a banner that was over the 16 sq ft limit. Long story short the sign came down. It was very unfortunate that it had to go as far as it did to get him to comply. Since this was our ordinance at the time I've never understood why the city wouldn't enforce it. Yep these are the things that go on during a campaign. That same year the Type B or 4B sales tax was put on the ballot. A group seriously littered our streets with hundreds of vote "for" Type B sales Tax Increase signs. People came to me wanting to put out signs against the 4B, which I was against and still am. I put out 12 regular sized signs that opposed the 4b measure. The measure failed.

2012, I ran again, this time my packet said sign size was only restricted on "public right of way". Ha! So 2013 the big and bold sign on Center is legal. I will agree with Mayor in part... it does "depend on the situation" as I've seen it change over and over again, BUT it shouldn't. He assigned a committee, the committee took their time to hash it all out, a report was given of their findings and the Mayor agreed with the committee he entrusted, but just a few weeks later it was back on the agenda. The sign committee was a mixture of council members along with a few citizens. There was no legal issue with the action taken in March as that would have been presented. Was disappointed with the last outcome.
Sam I am

Pasadena, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

"Ordinances are like living organisms."
That's what Al Gore said about the American Constitution.

Although blatant cronyism is at work as usual with our once great mayor and friends, It is a beautifully sign in a gaudy sort of way. Campaign funds must be readily available for a sign like that.Likely cost more than those 12 no on 4b signs in total.It could be recycled into a very nice garage sale sign when it's all over, or maybe a FREE CERNOSEK! FREE POUND! LAWS ARE LIKE LIVING ORGANISMS! Call to action sign.
Would it be in violation then or is the ordinance only relative to mayoral campaigners during these exciting city elections?
Perhaps it's a compensation thing for shortcomings in other areas.(Such as a lack of robo-calls or pictures of relatives receiving awards.)

Good Luck Deer Park !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Baytown News Video

•••
•••

Baytown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baytown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE