LP Advocate

Denver, CO

#1 Jan 14, 2011
Our dear friend Emery Farkas has passed. Please keep Audrey and Babette and their families in your prayers. Enjoy the memories of Sylvan Drugs and all Mr. Farkas did to support La Porte.
Farkas
Emery Farkas, born in Uzhgorod, Czechoslovakia, on December 25, 1923 and resided in La Porte, Texas; passed away on January 13, 2011.
Emery lived for his family, his late wife Shirley, who he loved for 52 years, his daughter Audrey Farkas Melasky and her husband David, his daughter Babette Farkas, M.D. and his wonderful grandchildren, Mark Melasky, Melanie Melasky, Louis Solov and Heather Solov. Recently honored for over 60 years as a practicing pharmacist, Emery and Shirley owned Sylvan Drug Store in La Porte, Texas and were instrumental in creating and nurturing Bayshore National Bank.
Emery was a long time member of La Porte Rotary and a 32nd degree Mason.
Emery survived the Holocaust, escaped communism and loved his new country and the chance it gave an immigrant refugee. He will be sorely missed but his legacy of generosity, kindness and concern will live on through those he inspired.
A graveside service will be held at 3:00 pm on Friday, January 14, 2010 at Emanu El Memorial Park, 8341 Bissonnet, Houston, Texas. Rabbi Robert Haas and Cantor Vadim Tunitsky will officiate. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be made to Jewish Family Service, 4131 South Braeswood Boulevard, Houston, TX 77025 or the Holocaust Museum Houston, 5401 Caroline St., Houston, Texas 77004.
Nat Norris

Houston, TX

#2 Jan 14, 2011
I hadn't realized that Mr. Farkas had passed. He and his wife were very good neighbors to my family for most of my life. I'll never forget the "good old days" when the Sylvan Drug Store was up, and they had a lovely gift shop, and the neat soda fountain counter. Mr.(and Mrs.) Farkas certainly were people up to whom I looked growing up. My prayers for their family, and the community that will surely mourn them. Godspeed, Mr. Farkas.

Since: Dec 10

La Porte, TX

#3 Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for posting some very informative information.
LP Advocate wrote:
Our dear friend Emery Farkas has passed. Please keep Audrey and Babette and their families in your prayers. Enjoy the memories of Sylvan Drugs and all Mr. Farkas did to support La Porte.
Farkas
Emery Farkas, born in Uzhgorod, Czechoslovakia, on December 25, 1923 and resided in La Porte, Texas; passed away on January 13, 2011.
Emery lived for his family, his late wife Shirley, who he loved for 52 years, his daughter Audrey Farkas Melasky and her husband David, his daughter Babette Farkas, M.D. and his wonderful grandchildren, Mark Melasky, Melanie Melasky, Louis Solov and Heather Solov. Recently honored for over 60 years as a practicing pharmacist, Emery and Shirley owned Sylvan Drug Store in La Porte, Texas and were instrumental in creating and nurturing Bayshore National Bank.
Emery was a long time member of La Porte Rotary and a 32nd degree Mason.
Emery survived the Holocaust, escaped communism and loved his new country and the chance it gave an immigrant refugee. He will be sorely missed but his legacy of generosity, kindness and concern will live on through those he inspired.
A graveside service will be held at 3:00 pm on Friday, January 14, 2010 at Emanu El Memorial Park, 8341 Bissonnet, Houston, Texas. Rabbi Robert Haas and Cantor Vadim Tunitsky will officiate. In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be made to Jewish Family Service, 4131 South Braeswood Boulevard, Houston, TX 77025 or the Holocaust Museum Houston, 5401 Caroline St., Houston, Texas 77004.
Stephanie Nichols

Houston, TX

#4 Aug 30, 2012
My sister and I both worked for Mr. Farkas at the soda fountain in Sylvan Drugs (as did so many LPHS students). We adored him. He was hilarious at times and always a kind hearted man. I'm sorry to hear of his passing - we were just discussing him on facebook recently and I went to look up a pic of sylvan drugs online and found this :-(
Thank you for sharing the information and please give my condolences to his family.
DeWayne McLarrin

Houston, TX

#5 Aug 30, 2012
I also worked at Sylvan Drugs in the 80's and have very fond memories of Mr. Farkas. He was a gracious man and loved the drug store, his customers and his employees. His memories will always have a special place in my heart and please give my condolences to his family.
Bill Gazis

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Dec 5, 2012
My dad worked for Mr. Farkas as a pharmacist way back when we'd first moved to the Clear Lake area. I remember Sylvan Drugs well & have many fond memories of the place. I can still recall Mrs. Farkas & the girls, & I pray they are well. May his memory be eternal...
Joe Gomer

Lufkin, TX

#7 Dec 5, 2012
Bill Gazis wrote:
My dad worked for Mr. Farkas as a pharmacist way back when we'd first moved to the Clear Lake area. I remember Sylvan Drugs well & have many fond memories of the place. I can still recall Mrs. Farkas & the girls, & I pray they are well. May his memory be eternal...
I worked for Pal's Pharmacy, on Main Street for 12 years and later owned and operated Gomer's Pharmacy for 23 years. Yes, I knew Emory well and respected him as a fellow pharmacist. Shirley preceded Emory in death and Emory really went down hill after that. I remember when your father worked for Emory. LaPorte will miss Emory for he was a unique individual.
David Porter

United States

#8 Mar 23, 2013
I worked for Mr. Farkas for a number of years while in highschool and I can honestly say it was a time I remember fondly. His unique sense of humor and unforgetable accent have entertained many of my friends through the years because he made such a wonderfully indelible impression on me. He was sarcastic, witty and kind and an undeniable influence on my personality today. I will miss him.

Since: Mar 13

Broomfield, CO

#9 Mar 31, 2013
I remember the soda fountain! I was the one that first came up with the "Dr. Lime" floats when I was 9! Sad to hear he's gone, he was much loved and I'm sure is missed greatly. The world became darker when his light went out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CIA Torture Report 19 min Elaine 31
Santa in Lp 1 hr Lp mom 11
Fed and the White (power?) Movement 1 hr Texan 17
Santa sex offender found in Texas... and not ar... 7 hr DILF 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 17 hr Wet Flatus 593
San jacinto mall 17 hr Louise 2
Review: Ocean Mobile Home Park Dec 12 Deer Park Texas 2

Baytown News Video

Baytown Dating
Find my Match

Baytown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baytown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baytown

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:17 am PST

NFL 9:17AM
DeMarco Murray participating in practice for Cowboys
ESPN 9:58 AM
On-mend Murray with Cowboys for player drills
NBC Sports10:16 AM
DeMarco Murray practices on Wednesday
NBC Sports10:45 AM
How will DeMarco Murray fare with injured hand?
Yahoo! Sports11:00 AM
Two days after surgery, DeMarco Murray practices