Another police officer bites the dust

Posted in the Baytown Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
jhtk

Deer Park, TX

#1 Nov 5, 2013
so i hear the DPPD loses yet another young, able police officer. 3rd or 4th this year? when will the city administrators start looking for the real reason these young officers are dropping like flies? none have received exit interviews, as requested; which is strange if not illegal. unfortunately, the "cancer" has no plans of leaving the body.....
Andrea

Houston, TX

#2 Nov 5, 2013
Civil Service
civil service
civil service
DPPolice

Deer Park, TX

#3 Nov 8, 2013
The problem is the politics in Deer Park and an out of touch police department leadership.
No training and above all else, no common sense.
Johnny Justice

Euless, TX

#4 Nov 8, 2013
Call in the TMPA ! The TMPA could attack the current Chief and the City manager with a strategic law suit.
jhtk

Deer Park, TX

#5 Nov 8, 2013
leadership? no. micro-management so fierce that officers are afraid to perform their jobs for fear of being thrown into an internal affairs investigation? yes. there are more internal investigations started from WITHIN the department than there are from citizen complaints (ck the #s). why? because deer park has great officers who have the citizen's confidence but not the confidence from their own administration. sad situation.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
hensousyan

Houston, TX

#7 Nov 12, 2013
More good officers will leave before the city figures out the real reason. The city of deer park city council should be ashamed for not asking questions.
ajiu

Austin, TX

#8 Nov 12, 2013
maybe it's time for a vote of no confidence. city is pouring in all this money for new officers only for them to leave before city starts seeing a return. tax payers should be asking council more questions
Who

Houston, TX

#9 Nov 12, 2013
Who within the department starts most of the internal investigations? Must be the same person over and over. Maybe that person needs an internal investigation started on them. How does a citizen go about getting an internal investigation started on someone in the department?
Houpi

Houston, TX

#10 Nov 12, 2013
What kind of questions should council be asking??
two cents here

Lake Charles, LA

#11 Nov 13, 2013
WHat questions should council people ask about police department? If it were me, I'd ask how their pay structure and other benefits compare to similar sized cities, nearby cities.(not via an expensive consultant's report, have city staff outside the police department submit open records request and compile the data). I would also ask for a report from HR with statistics in terms of training costs, average tenure and how many new officers leave within a year. If possible, I'd check where the leaving officers went to work. Did they all go to the same organization? That's useful information. You can then ask what that department offers that Deer Park doesn't have. I'd also ask for a copy of the exit interview papers if that's available. If not, why isn't that happening? That's an obvious question.
I'd also ask for documents related to all the internal affairs investigations over the last 1-2 years.
Some departments also allow the police officers to participate in a department survey once a year as a tool to evaluate administration's leadership. Include questions that allow officers to offer suggestions on how to improve dept. policies and make the dept. a better place to work. As a city, a lot of money is invested in staffing, too much to just throw away without asking a lot of hard questions,
In my opinion, you can't just assume everything is well-run. Voters elected the council to watch over city staff, tax-payer funds and be good leaders for the citizens.
jouso

Houston, TX

#12 Nov 14, 2013
Some on council feel they need to waltz with Pd administration. Good luck.
jhtk

Deer Park, TX

#13 Nov 15, 2013
Who wrote:
Who within the department starts most of the internal investigations? Must be the same person over and over. Maybe that person needs an internal investigation started on them. How does a citizen go about getting an internal investigation started on someone in the department?
Who, indeed. I believe that would be the 2nd in command (but really, the 1st in command) that initiates the investigations. Any citizen who feels the need to complain (or praise) an officer can walk in and do so 24/7.
wapa

Houston, TX

#14 Nov 16, 2013
HUH??! Be clear please. Is it the 1st or 2nd in command? Does he or she initiate investigations because that is their job? In other words do others within the dept file a complaint and it 's just the 1st or 2nd in command's job to push the paperwork? Or does the 1st or 2nd in command just like initaiting investigations on their on accord? If it's the latter, wouldn't the investigations be due to the lack of an officers or administrators obedience to protocol? Protocol, let's talk protocol. If there is a handbook that explains how things are to be done and yet there is verbal protocol. Which of the two should be honored by those that work in the dept? Or should both be honored?
DPTX

Deer Park, TX

#15 Nov 18, 2013
Andrea wrote:
Civil Service
civil service
civil service
Could you clarify what you're trying to say?
DPTX

Deer Park, TX

#16 Nov 18, 2013
jhtk wrote:
so i hear the DPPD loses yet another young, able police officer. 3rd or 4th this year? when will the city administrators start looking for the real reason these young officers are dropping like flies? none have received exit interviews, as requested; which is strange if not illegal. unfortunately, the "cancer" has no plans of leaving the body.....
First, is an exit interview imposed by some law or are you just speculating that it should be a law?

I contend that this is not necessarily related to a problem with the PD. Prior to the 90's, people were usually more inclined to stick with a job. During this period, we saw the younger generations entering the workforce and they did not have the same outlook on things, as many would job-hop, as they thought they might find something better, elsewhere. It has almost become the norm and you find that the "under~40" group will have many past jobs on their resume, some only lasting a year or less.
jhtk

Deer Park, TX

#17 Nov 20, 2013
@ WAPA:I was being sarcastic with regard to the 2nd in command remark. Anyone who knows DPPD knows that the 2nd in command is running the department and is, in fact, probably the highest contributing factor responsible for the low morale/ disgruntled attitudes of the employees. This was evidenced during a personal leave taken by this commander earlier this year. Not only did internal investigations almost disappear but the employees were HAPPY, morale was high, and productivity soared! Upon his return however, in a matter of a week or so, 6 or 7 new investigations were opened! Needless to say, employees frowned, morale fell, and officers are again hesitatant to perform their job to their fullest.

@DPTX: So no, I'm afraid it's not an "outlook."
DP Citizen

Pasadena, TX

#18 Nov 20, 2013
If you are a DPPD employee, it is not a real smart move to post negative comments about your department on here. It is very easy for a law enforcement agency to get your ip address from this website. I suggest that you address your complaints up the city chain of command. Posting here may cause you to lose your job. Just some friendly advise, take it or not.
jhtk wrote:
@ WAPA:I was being sarcastic with regard to the 2nd in command remark. Anyone who knows DPPD knows that the 2nd in command is running the department and is, in fact, probably the highest contributing factor responsible for the low morale/ disgruntled attitudes of the employees. This was evidenced during a personal leave taken by this commander earlier this year. Not only did internal investigations almost disappear but the employees were HAPPY, morale was high, and productivity soared! Upon his return however, in a matter of a week or so, 6 or 7 new investigations were opened! Needless to say, employees frowned, morale fell, and officers are again hesitatant to perform their job to their fullest.
@DPTX: So no, I'm afraid it's not an "outlook."
law speaks

Fort Worth, TX

#19 Nov 20, 2013
Talking about a workplace, good or bad, on a public forum is no different than sitting in a social setting, a restaurant, etc doing the same thing. Its is not illegal and is protected by the first amendment. Look it up.
DP Citizen

Pasadena, TX

#20 Nov 20, 2013
Where did I say it was illegal? And yes it is different.
law speaks wrote:
Talking about a workplace, good or bad, on a public forum is no different than sitting in a social setting, a restaurant, etc doing the same thing. Its is not illegal and is protected by the first amendment. Look it up.
DPTX

Deer Park, TX

#21 Nov 22, 2013
DP Citizen wrote:
If you are a DPPD employee, it is not a real smart move to post negative comments about your department on here. It is very easy for a law enforcement agency to get your ip address from this website. I suggest that you address your complaints up the city chain of command. Posting here may cause you to lose your job. Just some friendly advise, take it or not.<quoted text>
Actually, there would have to be a crime under investigation, as it would require a court order to get such information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baytown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Houston Cops Shoot "Aspiring Rapper". 2 min Whatsamattayou 31
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 35 min Bubba 786
accident on fairmont 12 hr Heavy Fed 6
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 13 hr Fart 629
My crazy Facebook friend 23 hr Heavy Fed 1
Hate Fri Whatsamattayou 22
Murder in South Carolina Fri fubar 45

Flood Warning for Harris County was issued at April 18 at 11:33AM CDT

More from around the web

Baytown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]