Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Dec 30, 2012

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Dec 28, 2012
 
482(9+3)=

What's the answer? Is it 2 or 288? What's your logic?

You might be tempted to ignore this one and go back to Pinterest to look up the latest trends in shower curtain rods. But if you do, you will miss the opportunity to prove your intelligence and reasoning.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 28, 2012
 
I don't recall a lot about Algebra... but if I remember correctly you'd solve 9+3 first, then 48 divided by 2 equals 24.

I think it's 24 x 12 = 288.

But... that just a guess from someone who paid little to no attention in class.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 28, 2012
 
I got 288, the reason is that is what I got when I wrote it out. I could be wrong....I could be right.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 28, 2012
 
I guess you could get 2 for an answer as well... but I'm not sure about the rules for working out a solution to this problem.

If you look at it like 48/2x12.

Maybe there is a math wizzard here that could help... like I said, I paid little attention in school... and I don't think I ever passed an Algebra class.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 28, 2012
 
airyoucantaste wrote:
I got 288, the reason is that is what I got when I wrote it out. I could be wrong....I could be right.
If I remember... the first rule of Algebra class was, show your work.

LOL

I don't think, "the reason is that is what I got when I wrote it out" is exactly showing your work.

Saltwater Cat asked for logic as to how you came up with your answer.

“Ok, maybe I know a little bit.”

Since: Sep 12

But I don't know that.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

It is right because your order of operations is to do anything in parentheses first then all multiplication/division from left to right then addition/subtraction left to right.
Lomaxx

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 28, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

I didn't know they taught algebra in the 6th grade!?!?(somebody's last year of school!)

Since: Feb 12

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 29, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Lomaxx wrote:
I didn't know they taught algebra in the 6th gradee!?!?(somebody's last year of school!)
Go back to you bottle. Nice people are talking. There is no need for you to hijacked this thread.

“Activist, Comedian, Con Man!”

Since: Jan 09

www.HeavyFed.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 29, 2012
 
I thought I'd never use Algebra after school... if it was not something I wanted to pursue in life I did not clutter my head with it.

One of the first real jobs I ever had though, required me to use Algebra.

I worked the Industrial X-ray gig for a bit... until my dosimeter was pegged for the second time.

I remember in school when we were discussing radiation exposure the teacher said, "Don't worry about radiation, it won't hurt you too much, it might hurt your grand kids or your great-grand kids but that's nothing for YOU to worry about."

I should have walked out of the class right then.

“Ok, maybe I know a little bit.”

Since: Sep 12

But I don't know that.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 29, 2012
 
We started learning basics of algebra in junior high, which at our school was 6-7-8 grades.
want my town back

Deer Park, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 29, 2012
 
Do what is in the () first

9+3=12

so the problem now reads

48/2*12=288
want my town back

Deer Park, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 29, 2012
 
Also, if there is no symbol it is a *.

I am WMTB and not an imposter. I am at home and dont know my login info and dont believe in multiple personalities like most.
ruserious

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 30, 2012
 
2

please excuse my dear aunt sally

dumbasses

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 30, 2012
 
ruserious wrote:
2
please excuse my dear aunt sally
dumbasses
Stupid is as stupid does. It's 288.
Who's the dumb ass now?
pisswater

Corpus Christi, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 30, 2012
 
oh just cause you say so, oh ok

douche
Saltwater Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid is as stupid does. It's 288.
Who's the dumb ass now?

“Ok, maybe I know a little bit.”

Since: Sep 12

But I don't know that.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 30, 2012
 
pisswater wrote:
oh just cause you say so, oh ok
douche
<quoted text>
Truly, it is because the laws of math say so. It is called the order of operations.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Baytown Discussions

Search the Baytown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 29 min Susie Q 21,673
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 56 min Imperial Chicano 17,218
Obama arresting doctors if they talk.. 2 hr fubar 60
What happened 4 hr girl, please 34
La Porte preacher 4 hr JC 5
New Orphan Charity 14 hr Witty Nickname 1
Construction on Canada 19 hr noway 3
•••
•••

Baytown News Video

•••
Baytown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Baytown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Baytown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Baytown News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baytown
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••