Well, well well... I think I predicted this a couple of years ago when they said the sales tax increase was "only a little more" and of course, it wouldn't affect the citizens because all those tourists would be subsidizing it.
Of course, then they increased our property taxes in the fall of that year.
Then they need more taxes for the storm sewer repairs!
Now they want "just a little more" for our STREETS!
However, they can continue to subsidize a golf course and restaurant that has averaged over $1-million per year.
To top it off!!! They want to rent out the OLD San Jacinto Elementary for a COMMUNITY CENTER on the north end of town (the city is ONLY 10 sq miles!).
That's right... you remember the BOND that was passed by DPISD to replace the old, worn out school (and admin bldg & press box, etc.) because it had too many maintenance issues and was no longer economically feasible... and it needed to be torn down.
So, now the city wants to spend our tax dollars on a worn out building for a community center?
Let's get just a little refresher here...
* The Mayor said the city was in good financial shape in March 2011.
* Shortly afterwards, we were told that we needed to increase our sales tax or our police and EMT wouldn't have the money for needed equipment (after the city cut those budgets).
* In the fall, the city was going to have a deficit and needed to raise property taxes.
* DPISD needed to build a new school and admin building because the old ones were outdated and full of maintenance issues... and needed to be demolished.
* DPISD is going to use part of SJE for the Wolters kids and...
* The city wants to buy the building for a community center.
* The city now requires citizens to pick up their own trash bags to save money. They are also talking about no longer supplying those trash bags.
* The city needs money to repair and maintain our sewer systems (that they were supposed to fix years ago), so they need to charge a "rain tax."
* Now, they say we don't have enough money to properly repair and maintain our streets, so they want to raise MORE taxes.
Never mind the increases in federal taxes (much of it due to ObamaCare).
WHEN DOES IT END?
It doesn't... until the citizens finally get off their apathetic asses and do something about these clueless politicians that are sucking them dry... just a few pennies at a time (because they don't think you will notice).