'We survived' -- Couple recall tough ...

'We survived' -- Couple recall tough times during WWII

There are 4 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jul 1, 2008, titled 'We survived' -- Couple recall tough times during WWII. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

When Jan "John" Wynands was 19 years old, he was taken from his home in Amsterdam during the height of World War II by Hitler's SS troops and sent to a forced labor camp in Kiel, Germany.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

sarah

United States

#1 Jul 1, 2008
Great story.
Elmer Fudd

Portland, OR

#2 Jul 1, 2008
I am glad to see John is still kicking. Knew him when I was on the faculty at HSU. Never knew his story though.

Too bad there aren't more people like him in Humboldt County who know how dear freedom is and how at times you must fight to the death for it.
Jackie Gleason

Amity, OR

#3 Jul 1, 2008
Thank you for telling your amazing story Mr. and Mrs.Wynands. You were very lucky to have survived. Keep up the loving spirit. Music will heal the harm done by war. Never give up faith. Laughter is bliss.
honlaf gonsta

Dearborn Heights, MI

#4 Mar 6, 2009
dah kis goh fophed skied

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bayside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for Steve Chanez 13 hr An old friend 1
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Fri Charles Watson 754
Kimberling City Missouri Aug 21 Aaron 1
BEWARE DR. JOHN HUSTED- Bariatric Surgeon (Apr '14) Aug 18 Anonymous 21
News Parents in Fortuna hit-and-run case trade shots... Aug 18 marje 1
News Armenian organized crime grows more complex (Oct '10) Aug 17 Cinna Cinna Cinnamon 801
Review: Good Times Collision And Restoration (Jul '15) Aug 16 fastmagna 5

Bayside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bayside Mortgages