'We survived' -- Couple recall tough times during WWII

Full story: Eureka Times Standard

When Jan "John" Wynands was 19 years old, he was taken from his home in Amsterdam during the height of World War II by Hitler's SS troops and sent to a forced labor camp in Kiel, Germany.
Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated Mar 6, 2009
sarah

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

Great story.
Elmer Fudd

Portland, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

I am glad to see John is still kicking. Knew him when I was on the faculty at HSU. Never knew his story though.

Too bad there aren't more people like him in Humboldt County who know how dear freedom is and how at times you must fight to the death for it.
Jackie Gleason

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

Thank you for telling your amazing story Mr. and Mrs.Wynands. You were very lucky to have survived. Keep up the loving spirit. Music will heal the harm done by war. Never give up faith. Laughter is bliss.
honlaf gonsta

Dearborn Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

dah kis goh fophed skied

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bayside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr bito honeys 200,594
TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 13 hr juliorosa333 202
JoAnns FAbric & Craft Store-Cheats Employees (Jun '07) 17 hr joanns team member 341
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) 20 hr Glendalian 166
Public Storage Secures $700M Loan (Dec '13) Wed Seth Ashford 2
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Wed Bee Keepers 4,977
Glendale Helicopter Really Loud and Annoying (Apr '12) Wed lani 5

Search the Bayside Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Bayside Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Bayside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••