Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,329)

Showing posts 166,561 - 166,580 of200,221
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>

But it doesn’t matter anyway, republicans are switching sides on the issue now, in droves, if held today, a vote would kill Prop 8 in California, in Nevada as well
I must be suffering from deja vu? Seems I have heard this line before EVERY vote regarding same sex marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
I must be suffering from deja vu? Seems I have heard this line before EVERY vote regarding same sex marriage.
People tell a pollster they are very progressive and fully support SSM and then when they are alone in private in the voting booth and no one will know...

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read the Constitution again, it seems you haven't retained much from the last time you read it in picture format in the 3rd grade.
The Constitution only changes- count them with me- ONE WAY!!! Read Article V.
It doesn't not change because of social whims. The founders made the Amendment process VERY difficult and time consuming to prevent social trends from becoming the LAW. They wanted to ensure things were well thought out and studied.
What we have today are activist judges who circumvent that Constitutional protection and rewrite the Constitution into their own image to fit with social trends and their personal bias. Just look at Obama Care- we have the SCOTUS ruling it Constitutional- how you ask? By calling it a "TAX" a term that was NOWHERE to be found in the bill, a term that Obama spend MONTH'S claiming it WASN'T.
And then we have idiots like you who pat them on the back, nodding your heads like little sheep then walking off to slaughter. Fact is, liberal progressives don't give a damn about the Constitution, they see it as a road block to their Utopia.
<quoted text>
No you idiot, it is a STATE issue because that is what the lower court ruled when they tossed DOMA as unconstitutional. A ruling I happen to agree with and hope the SCOTUS upholds.
The Loving case has nothing to do with the current issue. In Loving you have race determining qualification, something strictly forbidden by the essence of the 14th Amendment. The SCOTUS was VERY clear on this reasoning, they practically put it in crayon. You would know this if you actually read the decision, but I assume like everything else you haven't. You simply heard someone else say- Look Loving supports SSM, and you repeat it like the good little sheep that you are with not even the slightest idea why.
<quoted text>
Again, you are injecting personal opinion and bias into a discussion where I was simply stating the facts.
BTW, there was a LOT of opposition to the Declaration of Independence and our subsequent Secession. Also something you would know if you spent a little more time at the library and a little less on the internet.
The world our ancestors lived in when the Constitution as drafted is much different than the world we live in today.

I happen to believe that the Constitution is a living document that is dynamic. It is open to interpretation depending on the time and culture of our country.

I'm hardly alone in my beliefs.

You try to look at the Constitution through the eyes of the founding fathers. You can't do that with a 21st century mindset.

The fact of the matter is that much of this country's recent focus has been on equality. For decades we have focused on racial equality, gender equality, and equality for the disabled.

We now recognize inequality when we see it.

It's ridiculous to go through a long and arduous process in order to provide equal rights to other minorities. Why should minorities wait until the majority decides their fate?

You may think that activist judges are out of control. But as I've pointed out, who cares what you THINK.

You are one of a bit over 300,000,000 people living in this country. It's not your playpen.

If you don't like the way the country is being managed, by all means get out!

In the meantime the rest of us will work the system to get the rights that we believe we deserve NOW. We aren't going to wait decades for the rest of you to play catch-up.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Monstrous;
-shockingly wrong or ridiculous
-deviating greatly from the natural form or character
I qualify. You do when you dress like a queen.
Snicker.
The only thing monstrous about you is your ass-holery.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
Stocking wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't use the word Monster, why monster? are we living in an anime. Mutation?, may be, but really I think diversity, genetic rarity. Monster has obvious negative implications and mutation, well were you born with regular DNA then something happened to change it. You've said chimera, I'm thinking this is what I call mosaic: a variable mix of XX and XY in any given sample. If that's the case then why use the term monster mutation, other than for dramatic effect. Well, you have the right to call yourself what you like, I was questioning the mental health of it, but then if you're happy I suppose it doesn't matter. Personally I call myself Intersexed with a genetic mosaic.
<quoted text>
The fact that you agree with this part of Stocking's post only affirms that you are as ignorant of a genetic chimera as he is.
There is no 'mosaic' of DNA. There are two complete sets of DNA in me. To top that off, I have a functioning penis and a non-functioning vagina. And don't forget the third nipple.
If anyone deserves the term 'monster mutation', it is me. However, like GLBT's, that is about our physical mistakes. It is not who we are, unless we deny it. Then that distortion becomes something personal, and affects our personal life and those around us.
My challenge to people is walk with fearless honesty as far as you can in every aspect of your life. It is only there you will make the best and healthiest choices in life.
I came on here to understand the issue. What I found was some of the deepest denial in existence. About something as clear and simple as relationship types and sex. I simply put my verbal finger on the denial with reality and watch the mercury squirm.
Smile.
I'll attempt to word this in a fashion that you might grasp:

Hey KiBore, what is it about you that is a mutation?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said..
Isn't it funny though, that you say pretty much everything I have been saying yet our judge-it's are the complete opposite? Kind of tells ya something about the 8 people who troll this forum and rate comments doesn't it?
It kind of proves by point when I say, "People judge the ruling of the judiciary against their personal bias rather than it's validity when audited against the Constitution," don't ya think?
The only thing separating us is the crowd we insult directly!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Still like this one:
"Think about how stupid the average person is; then realize that half of them are stupider than that!" - George Carlin
I don't think half the population gets this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The world our ancestors lived in when the Constitution as drafted is much different than the world we live in today.
And?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to believe that the Constitution is a living document that is dynamic. It is open to interpretation depending on the time and culture of our country.
Thanks for proving my point about Liberal Progressives.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm hardly alone in my beliefs.
And? Hitler wasn't alone either?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You try to look at the Constitution through the eyes of the founding fathers.
Yeah, it is the law after all?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't do that with a 21st century mindset.
So it can change without the Amendment process so long as it agrees with you?
But when it doesn't?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact of the matter is that much of this country's recent focus has been on equality. For decades we have focused on racial equality, gender equality, and equality for the disabled.
This issue has nothing to do with equality, it has everything to do with inclusion.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
We now recognize inequality when we see it.
32 States don't, even liberal California didn't see it your way- TWICE.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ridiculous to go through a long and arduous process in order to provide equal rights to other minorities.
Again, thank you for proving my point about Liberal Progressives.

The Constitution is simply a road block in the way to your Utopia.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should minorities wait until the majority decides their fate?
Because it's the law?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You may think that activist judges are out of control. But as I've pointed out, who cares what you THINK.
You will once the ruling's no longer go your way.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of a bit over 300,000,000 people living in this country. It's not your playpen.
So we should just shred the Constitution? Which parts do you like?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't like the way the country is being managed, by all means get out!
Management has nothing to do with the "Country." Remember, it is YOU who thinks the Constitution needs to change and "catch up with the times", why don't you leave? I am quite happy with the foundation of our country, you are the one who seems to have an issue with it.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
In the meantime the rest of us will work the system to get the rights that we believe we deserve NOW. We aren't going to wait decades for the rest of you to play catch-up.
Yup, you "work the system", you don't ABIDE by it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

sheesh void of hate wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing separating us is the crowd we insult directly!
True.

I just have little patients for people who want to "educate" me on the Constitution when they admit they have never read ANY of the foundational documents.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
True.pp
I just have little patients for people who want to "educate" me on the Constitution when they admit they have never read ANY of the foundational documents.
Little patients? Are those short sick folk?:p
HelDivers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

http://www.nhlp.org/files/Anchor%20Pacifica%2...

The same stupid bumbling idiots who were responsible for the last lawsuit (Glendora, California) the City Attorney D. Wayne Leech, City Manager Chris Jeffers, Finance director Josh Betta, Development manager Jeff Kugel, City Council member's:

Douglas Tessitor.

Gene Murabito.

Karen Davis.

Terry Kent. runs a house building business in town.

Gary Clifford.

Ken Herman.

Mark Kelly.

And all the other slobs on the Planning Commission who went along with the idiots in Glendora's city hall of shame.
HelDivers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

The same stupid bumbling idiots who were responsible for the last lawsuit (Glendora, California) the City Attorney D. Wayne Leech, City Manager Chris Jeffers, Finance director Josh Betta, Development manager Jeff Kugel, City Council member's:

Douglas Tessitor.

Gene Murabito.

Karen Davis.

Terry Kent. runs a house building business in town.

Gary Clifford.

Ken Herman.

Mark Kelly.

And all the other slobs on the Planning Commission who went along with the idiots in Glendora's city hall of shame.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
And?
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving my point about Liberal Progressives.
<quoted text>
And? Hitler wasn't alone either?
<quoted text>
Yeah, it is the law after all?
<quoted text>
So it can change without the Amendment process so long as it agrees with you?
But when it doesn't?
<quoted text>
This issue has nothing to do with equality, it has everything to do with inclusion.
<quoted text>
32 States don't, even liberal California didn't see it your way- TWICE.
<quoted text>
Again, thank you for proving my point about Liberal Progressives.
The Constitution is simply a road block in the way to your Utopia.
<quoted text>
Because it's the law?
<quoted text>
You will once the ruling's no longer go your way.
<quoted text>
So we should just shred the Constitution? Which parts do you like?
<quoted text>
Management has nothing to do with the "Country." Remember, it is YOU who thinks the Constitution needs to change and "catch up with the times", why don't you leave? I am quite happy with the foundation of our country, you are the one who seems to have an issue with it.
<quoted text>
Yup, you "work the system", you don't ABIDE by it.
We WILL work whatever system in order to achieve our goals. If the Supreme Court decides that it is not unconstitutional to deny same-sex couples legal marriage, then we will continue to fight.

If you look around, we have not put all of our eggs into one basket. We are working with lawmakers to change state policies. We are working on voter initiatives to legally recognize our relationships. We are working through social systems--including religious institutions--to educate the public.

The right to marry is one of many rights in the LGBT movement. We now have workplace protections in many jurisdictions. We can now serve openly in the military. It is no longer illegal to participate in same-sex intercourse.

Forty or fifty years ago, nobody could imagine the progress we would make.

Getting what you want is about working a variety of systems, often at the same time. And like minorities in the past, that is exactly what we're doing.

We recognize that we aren't going to win every battle. But that hasn't stopped us. We've only grown stronger in our resolve.
Disappointed in CA

Loma Linda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Too bad. Shame on that judge. What's the point in voting if the majority's decision can be overthrown by the minority?

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
True.
Girl, your problem is that you have "little patients" for anything.
Chamber bums

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Gary Toebben, vice chair of the CEQA Working Group advocating for bigger changes.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Girl, your problem is that you have "little patients" for anything.
When you have nothing else, fully exploit a mistake in spelling.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
We WILL work whatever system in order to achieve our goals. If the Supreme Court decides that it is not unconstitutional to deny same-sex couples legal marriage, then we will continue to fight.
If you look around, we have not put all of our eggs into one basket. We are working with lawmakers to change state policies. We are working on voter initiatives to legally recognize our relationships. We are working through social systems--including religious institutions--to educate the public.
The right to marry is one of many rights in the LGBT movement. We now have workplace protections in many jurisdictions. We can now serve openly in the military. It is no longer illegal to participate in same-sex intercourse.
Forty or fifty years ago, nobody could imagine the progress we would make.
Getting what you want is about working a variety of systems, often at the same time. And like minorities in the past, that is exactly what we're doing.
We recognize that we aren't going to win every battle. But that hasn't stopped us. We've only grown stronger in our resolve.
And that's your problem. You don't give a damn about the law or the Constitution, just your personal agenda.

And it is this attitude, once exposed, that will prove detrimental to your cause and public opinion towards it.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's your problem. You don't give a damn about the law or the Constitution, just your personal agenda.
And it is this attitude, once exposed, that will prove detrimental to your cause and public opinion towards it.
The public doesn't "think" like you do. The majority will continue to support equality , particularly since more and more people in the public eye are coming out. Our cause is now the public's cause and you have been left in the dust. Don't believe me? Just ask Kimare. Zhe knows that the battle, and the war, are over.
Smackers

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

FBI seeks help identifying three suspects seen at Benghazi mission video's during attack.

A good bet they are Muslim and crazy as bed bugs, don't bother they most likely are out killing more people anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 166,561 - 166,580 of200,221
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bayside Discussions

Search the Bayside Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
all have sinned and fallen short of the glory o... 32 min focus on the family 1
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 49 min The right is wrong 2,225
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr Ronald 4,854
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 3 hr RiccardoFire 7,816
Arcata: How Bad Is It? (May '11) 22 hr T-Man 299
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Fri This topics peaked 15,911
How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV (Jul '08) Fri crystal cox 203
•••
•••
•••
•••

Bayside Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bayside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE