Humboldt medical marijuana panel urge...

Humboldt medical marijuana panel urges industry to seize opportunities

There are 59 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jul 25, 2010, titled Humboldt medical marijuana panel urges industry to seize opportunities. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

As Humboldt County's well-known marijuana industry faces potential legalization, cannabis experts gathered in Bayside Saturday to share information about how it might seize the opportunities of the day and prepare for a different future.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Mark E

Eureka, CA

#1 Jul 25, 2010
If legalized, everyone who cares to will grow it. There will be no "industry."
It's just a weed, after all.
Why don't we really do something for the economy and bring our manufacturing jobs back from China, India, Mexico, etc!
Arcata Dude

Eureka, CA

#2 Jul 25, 2010
It's a long shot to think that people will come to Humboldt and buy/lease farmland to grow weed. Anybody who thinks that must not be very familiar with marijuana - which grows almost everywhere very easily.

Humboldt used to be the center of the pot industry but that was only because it was easy to hide up here. Now that it's mostly legal, there's no reason to be up here (for pot, that is). Nobody is flocking here to grow regular crops, are they?

Personally, I think Humboldt's "big opportunity" is what comes after pot. Secret pot $$ made it possible for a lot of idealistic hippy types to keep industry and business out. With that $$ gone, maybe, just maybe, we can get some jobs up here. It will get worse before it gets better but the collapse of the illegal pot industry might just be the thing that lets the healing begin.

p.s. I definitely do feel bad for my friends and neighbors who will be struggling financially in the near future.
peanut butter

Eureka, CA

#3 Jul 25, 2010
If it becomes legalized Humboldts time is over. Goodbye. Greed, Greed, Greed is gonna kill Humboldts weed!

Other regions of the state and other states are blowing us out of the water as far as preparing and being innovative with the weed law changes.

Its great how some folks from So Hum and politicians are taking action to prepare. Sadly the scene up here has been "watered down" by the greed and all the transplants who have moved here posing like they are locals.$$$$$$$$$
Harry Pothead

United States

#4 Jul 25, 2010
Arcata Dude wrote:
It's a long shot to think that people will come to Humboldt and buy/lease farmland to grow weed. Anybody who thinks that must not be very familiar with marijuana - which grows almost everywhere very easily.
Humboldt used to be the center of the pot industry but that was only because it was easy to hide up here. Now that it's mostly legal, there's no reason to be up here (for pot, that is). Nobody is flocking here to grow regular crops, are they?
Personally, I think Humboldt's "big opportunity" is what comes after pot. Secret pot $$ made it possible for a lot of idealistic hippy types to keep industry and business out. With that $$ gone, maybe, just maybe, we can get some jobs up here. It will get worse before it gets better but the collapse of the illegal pot industry might just be the thing that lets the healing begin.
p.s. I definitely do feel bad for my friends and neighbors who will be struggling financially in the near future.
Well said. Unfortunately, many of our young men (and women) see this as the only occupation to get into. Compared to working at a fast food joint for $9 an hour, unskilled worker's don't have many choices. I have seen a large influx of "shady characters" who have flocked here to join the "Pot Rush", Humboldt's own gold rush. They set up shop in a rented house and soon have friends and relatives coming here too to join the action. We have grow houses within 200 ft. of our schools and the police don't seem to care. While many of us work and pay taxes on our wages, this ilk can run a "cash machine" at home with the sanction of our D.A. who is their "puppet".(Ever see the guy get tough on any grower?) Most people, even those who don't smoke pot, could care less about someone growing a few plants. It is the widespread, laughable "I'm growing for medical use 99 plants" club we would like to see get "nipped in the bud." When our neighbors have a yard full of expensive cars & boats and the dad is a "carpenter" with no tools in his truck (ever), somethings wrong. Maybe we should all go this route and then we can import workers to run our stores and businesses?
Skeptic

San Jose, CA

#5 Jul 25, 2010
Making money can be a disturbing and unsightly affair. If any of the pot growers were wise enough to invest their money, there's the seed of our new economy. Our economy will suffer as we suffered with the demise of the timber industry. But as Cockburn so eloquently pointed out, this cycle of boom and bust has been repeated over and over again. At some point, man cannot just be an exploiter. We have to come home at the end of the day and live here. Hopefully, working with our neighbors with a minimum of envy or spite.
Redway Woods

Pinole, CA

#6 Jul 25, 2010
As speakers at this and other forums have pointed out with examples, Humboldt pot has an extremely well established WORLD-WIDE reputation for high quality. If anyone thinks the enormous expertise that exists here, and the climate and soils, plus this invaluable reputation, does not mean a great future for this industry in Humboldt, he or she is pretty clueless. It is time though for the County to get off its hands and move to the bright future.
KnowItAll

United States

#7 Jul 25, 2010
Redway Woods wrote:
As speakers at this and other forums have pointed out with examples, Humboldt pot has an extremely well established WORLD-WIDE reputation for high quality. If anyone thinks the enormous expertise that exists here, and the climate and soils, plus this invaluable reputation, does not mean a great future for this industry in Humboldt, he or she is pretty clueless. It is time though for the County to get off its hands and move to the bright future.
Thanks for the only rational response here. It's just like wine or any other consumption commodity. Branding, and high quality control is critical.
Steve Jobs

Coulterville, CA

#8 Jul 25, 2010
Alas, then tragedy strikes like it did to us and Toyota. Names can suffer. Not many people buy BP fuel anymore.
Jackie Childs

North Hills, CA

#10 Jul 25, 2010
People from other states will come to grow there...and they will be treated like outsiders and find another county to grow in.
Miles Mackey

United States

#11 Jul 25, 2010
Yes! Think positive! Form a cooperative, are the profits, supply sources and market 'Humboldt Homegrown" as a quality product at an elevated price. Compete with the big growers like quality wines compete with bulk producers.
I am not a user, but I am in favor of legalization with law enforcement for tax evasion, driving under the influence, and other law violations. As a former quality control chemist, rocket scientist, and chemistry professor, I am also in favor of setting up quality control labs to monitor quality and potency including contaminants. Go 'Green' and let the consumers know it.
Miles Mackey
Observer

Eureka, CA

#12 Jul 25, 2010
This is getting twisted even for the Times Standard.

Over & over again, this paper prints pro pot legalization stories, complete with big Marijuana leaf on page one. This must be at least the 25th time this year.
Miles Mackey

United States

#13 Jul 25, 2010
My message should have read "... share the profits,..." instead of "... are the profits,...".
Miles Mackey
Harry

United States

#14 Jul 25, 2010
Redway Woods wrote:
Humboldt pot has an extremely well established WORLD-WIDE reputation for high quality. If anyone thinks the enormous expertise that exists here, and the climate and soils, plus this invaluable reputation, does not mean a great future for this industry in Humboldt, he or she is pretty clueless.
I think you are overestimating Humboldt's influence in a statewide market.

As a hypothetical example; Fresno area farmers have flat land and lots of water to grow this as a row crop tended by and processed by cheap available farm labor forces. It'll be marketed by tobacco companies with whatever goofy names various seed companies care to give them. I Googled "marijuana seed" and it came up with a lot of seed companies and the goofy names they gave to "their" particular strains.

Humboldt County will loose the name recognition game as tobacco companies will capitalize on this new business opportunity with their own goofy names and the capitalization needed to cheaply produce, and at the added tax deductible costs of business associated with marketing and pay taxes to willing government entities who will support mass produced marijuana and the money it brings to government coffers.

Most consumers just want to get high. In a very limited number of cases patients actually use this plant product to relieve cancer treatment side effects. Just look at Oakland and it's greed for money from taxes on marijuana wants to hire corporations to set up big indoor electric sucking grow facilities to raise a standardized product. They don't want variable quality, they want cloned standardized product marketed in Oakland to keep people high and to reap the millions of dollars of tax money associated with sales. Corporations will once again win as "mom and pop growers" in the little old Humboldt County will never be able to compete. The sound of another bubble bursting.
The Man

Eureka, CA

#15 Jul 25, 2010
Repeal 215. Everybody knows it a joke anyways. Get law enforcement to thin the herd like they did 20 years ago. Prices will rise and economic stability will come to Humboldt county.

Those with courage to live the outlaw lifestyle reap the rewards, not corporations or parasitic politicians.

Vote no for legalization if you truly care about the local economy and keeping pot money in the hands of individuals.
Harry

United States

#16 Jul 25, 2010
The Man wrote:
Repeal 215. Everybody knows it a joke anyways. Get law enforcement to thin the herd like they did 20 years ago. Prices will rise and economic stability will come to Humboldt county.
Those with courage to live the outlaw lifestyle reap the rewards, not corporations or parasitic politicians.
Vote no for legalization if you truly care about the local economy and keeping pot money in the hands of individuals.
Greed lives among growers who don't want it legal and support a drug war as a price support mechanism. The main reason the legalization measure will be defeated. Too much money associated with the illegal market.
Johnny Hands

Oakland, CA

#17 Jul 25, 2010
From the article:

"Some of the panelists acknowledged a fear of change as they watched the industry shift 20 to 30 years ago. As more people became involved in growing marijuana, said Redway blogger Kym Kemp, she saw prices fall significantly, and with it hospitals and fire departments in Southern Humboldt suffer. "

Can anyone explain why the hospitals and fire departments would suffer when marijuana prices fell significantly? Is it because there was less money being thrown around by illegal marijuana growers, thus legitimate businesses paid less local taxes?
Not A Native

Berkeley, CA

#18 Jul 25, 2010
Arcata Dude sees the true picture of what is happening. But Harry Pothead sounds more angry and moralizing. Easy money that comes with legal risks is attractive to folks who often aspire to a flashy lifestyle.

While I think the legalization prop won't pass, its clear that the pot heyday of HumCo is ending anyway. 215 alone is allowing Californians to get pot in legal, safer, and less costly ways than black market trafficking, which is what 99.9% of HumCo growers do.

The main thing HumCo pot growers have had going for them is that criminality and illegality are more often tolerated here than elsewhere. I won't be a bit surprised if a new contrband replaces pot growing. HumCo still provides sanctuary for people who are running and hiding, clandestine financial activities appeals to them. Whatever it is has to be low tech, low capital, and low labor. Hydroponic opium poppies, coca plants, or qat?
Jake

Canonsburg, PA

#19 Jul 25, 2010
Wouldn't it be grand if the lame-duck Dems (after the Nov. clean-out) push legalization through. That is what they would be remembered for.
George

Grand Prairie, TX

#20 Jul 25, 2010
Corning teacher hit, killed in Chico
CHP: Driver under influence of marijuana
By GREG WELTER MediaNews Group Writer

www.redbluffdailynews.com/ci_15585779...

"...arrested on suspicion of felony driving under the influence of marijuana and vehicular manslaughter."
Hempster

Arcata, CA

#21 Jul 25, 2010
Not A Native wrote:
Arcata Dude sees the true picture of what is happening. But Harry Pothead sounds more angry and moralizing. Easy money that comes with legal risks is attractive to folks who often aspire to a flashy lifestyle.
While I think the legalization prop won't pass, its clear that the pot heyday of HumCo is ending anyway. 215 alone is allowing Californians to get pot in legal, safer, and less costly ways than black market trafficking, which is what 99.9% of HumCo growers do.
The main thing HumCo pot growers have had going for them is that criminality and illegality are more often tolerated here than elsewhere. I won't be a bit surprised if a new contrband replaces pot growing. HumCo still provides sanctuary for people who are running and hiding, clandestine financial activities appeals to them. Whatever it is has to be low tech, low capital, and low labor. Hydroponic opium poppies, coca plants, or qat?
Shrooms!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bayside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's with all this hate towards Armenians? (Jul '10) 3 hr Glendalian 202
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 6 hr ryan 369
News Indian Island land transfer process moves forward Sun Brian MP5 1
need help asap May 31 Brittney prince 1
News Encourage infill (Jan '10) May 31 Anonymous 2
News L.A., Glendale seek injunction against Toonervi... (Nov '08) May 30 hoktemberyanci91 122
News Meet the Verdugo Mountains' very own mountain l... May 30 Mari 1
More from around the web

Bayside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]