2010 had its ups and downs

Patricia Maxwell, far right, assisted by Fort Bayard Medical Center staff, takes part in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new medical facility in October. Full Story
just concerned

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jan 2, 2011
And so they still don't get it in Grant County...The mines now as they always have been, are but a temporary solution to economic development...Mainly re opening so they don't have to deal with destroying the water and environment here, never have paid their fair share of taxes, and don't really do much but provide a bone here and there for the community.When will we ever get some leadership here that isn't still sucking up to the mines and the possibility of more prisons as a way to sustain this county?
God forbid we actually do something innovative like perhaps create a major research center for alternative energy and organic farming, or perhaps be the world leader for PTSD and TBI treatment and training for disabled veterans.. Or do something proactive to attract the film industry here, or have some But then again, where would politicians get their kick backs from then?
sylvester

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 3, 2011
just concerned wrote:
And so they still don't get it in Grant County...The mines now as they always have been, are but a temporary solution to economic development...Mainly re opening so they don't have to deal with destroying the water and environment here, never have paid their fair share of taxes, and don't really do much but provide a bone here and there for the community.When will we ever get some leadership here that isn't still sucking up to the mines and the possibility of more prisons as a way to sustain this county?
God forbid we actually do something innovative like perhaps create a major research center for alternative energy and organic farming, or perhaps be the world leader for PTSD and TBI treatment and training for disabled veterans.. Or do something proactive to attract the film industry here, or have some But then again, where would politicians get their kick backs from then?
You certainly have some grandiose ideas. Now tell us how you get the money to acoplish them?

Personally, I am thrilled the mines are reopening and hiring almost 600 of our residents. Temporary or not, those jobs will mean a lot to Silver City and Grant County over the next couple of years.
Al Reine

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jan 3, 2011
sylvester wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly have some grandiose ideas. Now tell us how you get the money to acoplish them?
Personally, I am thrilled the mines are reopening and hiring almost 600 of our residents. Temporary or not, those jobs will mean a lot to Silver City and Grant County over the next couple of years.
I know how!!! TAX and spend of course. ALl that pie-in-the-sky dreamign is just hippy-liberal pipe dreams from smoking too much dope. Feel free to ignore it.
Yeah Right

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jan 3, 2011
just concerned wrote:
God forbid we actually do something innovative like perhaps create a major research center for alternative energy and organic farming, or perhaps be the world leader for PTSD and TBI treatment and training for disabled veterans..
And how many local people could get hired by those sorts of businesses? Hired for good positions, not just mopping floors?
FU Elkstine

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

#6 Jan 3, 2011
The guys got some great ideas. So does the guy talking about smoking some dope. Did you know that in Mendocino County, Calif. they bring in over $62 million a year just in taxes on legal pot growing. Now that's stimulus money. He's right the mine doesn't give a crap about anyone, they only work when copper is high. They take from mother earth and don't care how much they screw it up.
Why

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 3, 2011
sylvester wrote:
<quoted text>
600 bottom feeders off the streets for any amount of time is a good thing.

Since: Sep 08

Alamogordo, NM

#8 Jan 3, 2011
FU Elkstine wrote:
The guys got some great ideas. So does the guy talking about smoking some dope. Did you know that in Mendocino County, Calif. they bring in over $62 million a year just in taxes on legal pot growing. Now that's stimulus money. He's right the mine doesn't give a crap about anyone, they only work when copper is high. They take from mother earth and don't care how much they screw it up.
Since pot growing is not legal in calif how do they tax it..

Do you have a source or a link to show this fact.
JustSaying

Raton, NM

#9 Jan 3, 2011
On the documentary I saw, I believe that it is legal to grow pot for medicinal purposes. There is a small town where the entire area is devoted to growing pot.
DumbA55

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Jan 3, 2011
FU Elkstine wrote:
Did you know that in Mendocino County, Calif. they bring in over $62 million a year just in taxes on legal pot growing.
That's a lie.
Retarded and others

Oakland, CA

#11 Jan 3, 2011
Research California proposition 215 which has been law in that state since 1996 or so. I had the great misfortune of spending the last 3 years of my career in the Army there (around the time that law passed).

Anecdotally, I don't think growing dope makes 62mil. A year there - but if you google search the 215 proposition you can find plenty of fact based information.

Well, I hope you guys get those 600 jobs! We HAD the 'Racino' going in Raton - yet as usual these pendejos fell for a line of b.s. from some fast talking snake oil salesman who ran the projects into the ground.

Now, we have a multi-million dollar concrete slab on numerous acres of land that our city council sold to a FOREIGN outfit for one dollar.

I do not wish that upon any town, so I hope this venture works out in your neck of the woods, I like it up there!
JustSaying

Raton, NM

#12 Jan 3, 2011
Yeah, I really can't blame this one all on the Raton gubment. The state folks supposedly vetted the Canadian as well.

Funny thing is, Franklin claims they did a million dollars worth of work on the site. If that's all a million bucks will accomplish, I don't think fifty million would have finished the project. They put up a tent, poured a slab, and pushed a bunch of dirt around.

I think they were sucking the big project teat.
Retarded and others

United States

#13 Jan 4, 2011
JustSaying wrote:
Yeah, I really can't blame this one all on the Raton gubment. The state folks supposedly vetted the Canadian as well.
Funny thing is, Franklin claims they did a million dollars worth of work on the site. If that's all a million bucks will accomplish, I don't think fifty million would have finished the project. They put up a tent, poured a slab, and pushed a bunch of dirt around.
I think they were sucking the big project teat.
Well said - I watched that project move at the speed of molasses and was disguised with the progress. Alas, we stand with a multi million dollar lemon of a project and a proverbial peeing match between franken-moldenhauer and the state gambling board folks.

I am glad I never had my hopes up too high for the project; Raton and many other places have much better hope with getting some economically & environmentally sound mining going.
Retarded and others

United States

#14 Jan 4, 2011
*(disgusted)- as in watched in disgust knowing my suspicions of Franken were well founded. Franken, Moldenhauer and the rest really burned Raton badly on this.

I hope the folks in Grant County, or anywhere else in N.M. have to deal with the reprocussions of incompetent political wrangling as much as we have here!
Retarded and others

United States

#15 Jan 4, 2011
*(DON'T HAVE TO)!!

My damn Iphone and the combination of auto-spelling and poor service is driving me crazy tonight!

Grant County and nobody else anywhere else should have taxpayer dollars paying for the ineptitude of a few pendejos! Especially my own town!

Im done for the night. Lesson learned? Don't get at&t cell phones if you live in Colfax County!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bayard Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr scirocco 71,190
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
Bayard Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bayard People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bayard News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bayard

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:10 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:10PM
Rookie Thomas becomes 4th Cardinals QB of season - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 9:56 PM
Peyton Manning fully participates in practice
Bleacher Report12:18 AM
How Ronnie Hillman Can Spark Broncos Offense Heading into Playoffs
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:50 AM
Logan Thomas settles down after shaky start to practice